• Published 7th Aug 2018
  • 2,906 Views, 81 Comments

Reaching For The Sun - Foals Errand



Twilight has been searching for Princess Celestia for a decade with no luck. Now, she has found her living a new life on a new world.

  • ...
6
 81
 2,906

Chapter One

Twilight slowly combed out her wet mane. Spike had insisted she take a nice long shower after she had woken up like that once again. Twilight squeezed her eyes shut. She knew why Luna wouldn’t enter her nightmares, but that didn’t make them easier to deal with. A frown appeared on her muzzle as she looked down and bit her lip. I know she suffers her own nightmares of that night. I can’t blame her for not wanting any more. She set her comb back on the counter and gazed at herself in the mirror.

The last ten years had been kind to her. No longer did she look like a unicorn with wings. She had finally grown into her alicorn-hood, standing between Cadance and Luna in height. Her mane was still in the same no-nonsense style she’d worn her entire life, though strands would sparkle in the right light. She reached for her currying brush, but shook her head. She just wasn’t in the mood. Besides, her fur looked presentable as it was.

Spike looked up as Twilight came down into the dining room, “Hey, Twilight. You’re looking loads better! Starlight already finished breakfast and said to tell you she was going to get some coffee before grabbing Sunset.” He shrugged, setting Twilight’s breakfast down. “I think she might be addicted to the coffee over there, Twi.”

Twilight shrugged as she poured syrup over her waffles. “She only gets it once a week, Spike. I hardly think that is anything approaching an addiction. They remember I have my monthly meeting with Luna and Cadance today, right?”

“Yeah, no sweat. I even reminded Starlight before she left. She said they’ll be in the lab uh...then she started spouting science gobbly gook? So, yeah, they’ll be in the lab when you get back.” Spike dug into his own waffles. he licked his lips, but hesitated. “They, um, are having that remembrance thing today, right?”

Twilight gave a simple nod after a moment.

Spike tapped the table top with his claw. “I um...Are you going to be part of it this year?” He finally asked, after a few more bites were eaten.

“You know the answer to that Spike.” Twilight’s voice was crisp, and without the warmth it normally held when she was speaking to Spike or any of her other friends.

“Twilight it-it’s been ten years! There are foals in your school who grew up without even hearing her voice I just it… it’s not healthy!”

Twilight got up from the table and looked Spike directly in the eye. “I have told you this before, Spike, and I am telling you for the last time. Celestia is NOT dead! Cadance can still sense her heart, Luna call still feel her aura! Until both of them tell me that they no longer feel her I will never give up!”

“L-luna goes to the remembrance ceremonies.” Spike tried going at it another way, hoping to cool Twilight’s temper. He instead winced as Twilight grit her teeth.

“She is required as the ruling princess of Equestria. Notice Cadance refuses to attend for the same reason that I do. And each year Luna once again refuses to sign the papers to declare her sister…” Twilight snorted, tossing her mane. “I’ve eaten enough. I need to get to Canterlot.”

“C-can I come with you, Twilight?” Spike asked, cradling his tail and watching as his sister/mother seemed to be warring with herself. Finally, she gave a nod

“Alright, maybe you can think of something we have missed.” Twilight laid down on her belly. “Get on, Spike.”


Twilight embraced Luna, then Cadance, before taking a seat on a purple cushion besides Cadance. While it was true they saw each other at least every month Twilight, still felt giddy filly joy when she was in her sister-in-law’s presence. Spike also received a large hug from Cadance as Luna found another cushion for him to sit upon.

“A good day to you, Twilight.” Luna smiled before wincing as she recalled the black ribbons everywhere. “As much as today can be, at least. Do either of you have any news?”

Cadance sighed. “Nothing more to report than last month, Aunt Luna. Auntie’s heart remains beating and love has filled it. Though it’s not that of romance, but of familial in nature.” She shook her head. “Bits of extra joy now and then, but nothing I can fully explain.”

Luna rubbed her chin. “Familial love. That may come in handy… And you, Twilight Sparkle. How goes your own project?”

Twilight sighed. “Not much different than our last meeting. I’ve asked Sunset if she can come more than every weekend. However, she makes a fair point that though she and Sci-Twi-er, that is my human equivalent’s, nickname have their own lab. She is still expected to be there during normal working hours.” Twilight glanced down. “She does have her own life across the portal. But, as it is I believe she, Starlight, and myself have been making progress in understanding exactly how the portal works. If we knew exactly where Celestia had sent him and herself I’m certain we’d be ready to open a portal there within the next few days.”

Luna nodded. “And in my case, my findings remain the same. Tia is near a leyline, which is allowing her aura to continue to repair itself. If only I could get the nobility to understand the words, ‘my sister is not dead,’ my job would be far easier!” Luna frowned as she shook her head. “As it is, we may have to cut our meeting short. I have to prepare for the remembrance ceremony. Twilight Sparkle, Cadenza, can I not convince either of you to suffer this along side me?”

Twilight shook her head. “I’m sorry, Luna. You know my reasons.”

Cadance smiled sadly. “Which are the same as mine, Auntie. I get enough of it when I return home after every one of our meetings.”

Luna nodded in understanding, her shoulders slumping. “If only I had some proof to give the ponies aside from my word.” She glanced over at Spike, who was frowning.“What is it, young Spike? Doth...do you have anything to add? Any ideas are welcome, I assure you. As of right now we three continue to bash our heads into an unmoving wall.”

Spike glanced over to Twilight, who gave him an encouraging nod along with a small smile. He stood up and looked up at Luna. “Well, you said you can sense Princess Celestia’s aura. And, um, Cadance, you can feel her heart, right?”

Both mares nodded. “Yes, little one, that is true. However, it does not help us locate my sister’s location in another world.” Luna smiled gently. “But, I assume that there is something you have thought of that we have not?”

“Well, couldn’t you use Rarity’s gem-finding spell and kinda rework it to find either the Princess’s heart or aura or um both?” Spike finished, nervously wringing his claws as the three mares stared at him in shock before Luna threw her head back and laughed.

“Leave it to a child to see what three mares were too blind to see!” She got up and placed a hoof on Spike’s shoulder, before she turned and trotted to the hallway to order a carriage to retrieve Rarity poshaste.

Cadance beamed as she followed after Luna to let Shining Armor know she’d be staying in Canterlot for a few days, at least as Twilight came up behind Spike and wrapped him in a warm hug with both her forelegs and wings wrapped around him.

“Good job Spike… I’m so proud of you.”