• Published 7th Aug 2018
  • 2,905 Views, 81 Comments

Reaching For The Sun - Foals Errand



Twilight has been searching for Princess Celestia for a decade with no luck. Now, she has found her living a new life on a new world.

  • ...
6
 81
 2,905

Chapter Three

Twilight circled the cleared spot in her lab a few more times. “How close are we, Sunset?” She called over to Sunset, who was mumbling and using her magic to clear the circle of any type of debris. Starlight, meanwhile, was trying for the eighth time to draw the circle component of the spell in chalk.

“I think once Starlight figures out how to draw a circle.” Sunset poked her tongue out at Starlight, who was playfully glaring up at her. “We’ll be ready. How long should we keep the spell open for, Twi?”

Twilight paused. That was a problem she was still struggling with, and had been for the last week as they had been preparing the spell. They had no idea what to expect. All they knew was that Celestia was there, and that she was alive. At first, Twilight had thought to go through with a rope tied around her, so if something went wrong she could easily be pulled to safety. But that left the portal open the entirety of the time Twilight was there.

And as much as Twilight hoped this would be a quick in-and-out, there was always the possibility that Celestia had amnesia. And, well, if she didn’t even remember her or Equestria it would take longer as Twilight would not simply grab her without the mare trusting her.

“I think the best idea if to close it once I am fully through, then reopen it every three days until I return with Celestia.”

Starlight and Sunset glanced at each other before Sunset took a step towards her best friend. “Twi, are you sure? Three days is a long time to be trapped in another world when we have no idea what type of creatures live there.”

“Which is the reason that I want you to close the portal after me. We can’t take the chance that some type of beast might find it. Luna says there is a ley line right next to where I should appear. Don’t worry. I’ve been practicing my brother’s shield spell. He insisted. I can last three days no matter where I wind up.” Twilight wrapped her neck around Sunset’s. “I promise.”

Sunset curled her neck around Twilight’s in response, holding the hug for a few moments before pulling away and blinking back a tear. “You better, or I’ll come in after you. And I sure as buck won’t be as kind as I know you plan to be.”

A snicker escaped Twilight’s lips as she imagined Sunset racing through and grabbing both herself and Celestia in her magic, before sprinting back through the portal, not giving a buck about what any being said. “I know you would, Sunset.”

Starlight cleared her throat as she backed up. “Well, that's it. It’s the most perfect circle which has ever been drawn in Equestria!” She carefully dropped the nub of chalk far from the circle. “I think that’s everything.”

Twilight nodded as she glanced around at Starlight and Sunset. “You remember the spell to open and close the portal?”

Sunset rolled her eyes at Twilight. “Foal’s play. Starlight and I could cast this spell in our sleep. Right, Star?”

Starlight nodded as she forced a grin onto her muzzle. “Seriously. Teach. Compared to restructuring Starswirl’s time travel spell? Piece of cake!”

Twilight nodded “And Spike?” She did not want to take the chance of him racing after her like he had when they first met Sunset.

“At Rarity’s until tonight, after which Applejack is taking him and well… One of your friends will have an eye on him at all times.” Sunset shrugged. “Don’t worry about him.”

“Well, I think that’s everything.” Twilight took a deep breath as she stared at the chalk circle on her floor. “Alright, girls. Cast the spell.”

As one, both Sunset and Starlight’s horns began glowing reddish-blue. A vortex slowly appeared within the chalk outline until it filled the entire circle. It glowed gold as it locked onto Celestia’s magical aura.

Twilight took one final deep breath and jumped through the portal. The second Twilight’s horn vanished from sight, they cut the magic to their horns.

“Think she’ll be alright, Sunset?” Starlight panted a bit. She looked at the golden unicorn, who simply lifted an eyebrow. Starlight chuckled. “Right, it’s Twilight. Stupid question, sorry.”


Twilight winced as she opened her eyes. “Note to self. If I ever create another portal, use the wall. Falling from the sky was not fun. I’m lucky that it was only a few feet! With how the spell was created, as long as Celestia was within the parameters, I could have come out a mile up!”

She slowly got to her hooves and took a look around. All around her was grass. It was a nice field, like ones she remembered galloping through in her youth. Beyond the field she could make out what appeared to be a road, but saw no cars driving up or down it. “Curious…” She lifted a hoof and flapped her wings a few times. “Well, it doesn’t seem like this is Sunset’s home. Is this another world with humans? Or maybe a similar creature and yet I remain unchanged.”

Her eyes suddenly caught sight of a farmhouse. From what Twilight could see from her vantage point, it appeared to be a simple two-story home, white with red trim. Slowly she walked through the field towards it, t trying to stay as quiet as possible so as not to startle any equines that the farm may house. She shivered, recalling the first time human Applejack introduced her to that world’s horses. I still don’t want to bother them, even if they aren’t sapient. Quickly though, Twilight realized that the farm she was approaching didn’t have any type of barn or other area that would house equines or cows. She frowned as she opened the gate which separated the farm from the field, careful to shut it behind her. She was very thankful that her magic was working as well as she and Luna has hypothesized.

She slowly and carefully made her way past the many chickens, even as they squacked in annoyance as she brushed past them. She offered them silent apologies as she walked closer to the house. She passed by a few pigs in a pen, and even a few nanny goats. Still no sign of equines, or Celestia… he finally made it to the back door to see two pairs of muddy boots. She remembered Sunset referring to them as ‘cowboy boots’. One was that of an adult size, while the other was far smaller. Obviously a child lived here.

Maybe Celestia is being kept as the child’s pet or playmate?. No. Knock it off Twilight. Stop assuming before you know any facts.

Twilight slowly pressed her ear against the door, listening for any voices or any one moving. Not hearing anything, she took a final deep breath before slowly turning the handle and walking inside.