• Published 15th May 2012
  • 2,341 Views, 18 Comments

Relics of a Wounded Soul - Coat Rack



A strange pony visits Ponyville carrying a troubled past, can Twilight and her friends help him?

  • ...
3
 18
 2,341

- Chapter 5 - Uncovering the Relics - Part 2

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

:Relics of a Wounded Soul:

My Little Pony OC story

[Sad] [OC] [Grimdark]

Chapter 5: Uncovering the Relics

Part 2

______________________________________________________________________________

Be sure to read the last chapter, it contains valuable info on what will take place in this one!

-Coat Rack

______________________________________________________________________________

“Back when I was younger, around your ages, really, I worked in the Weather Factory, I was stationed in the Winter Facility. My job was to watch over the Freezer Reactor, it was the device they used to cool the water to the right temperature to make snowflakes with.” Freezor said closing his eyes and giving off a sigh. “I remember it like it was yesterday...”

______________________________________________________________________________

It was an active day at the weather facility, and being a newly hired employee, Freezor was going under a debriefing of what his job would be. He was waiting for it to end he was looking around to see all the pegasi he would be working with, that’s when he saw her. Sitting beside the head coordinator was his assistant, a young female pegasus. She had a snow white coat with an icy cyan mane. She was going to be the one who would be over seeing the new employees, making sure they were doing their jobs right.

“...Now Frosty, is there anything you would like to say before I dismiss this session?” The older pegasus asked, looking to his assistant. Waiting for a response, the only thing he got was a small head shaking. “Always the quiet one I see, oh well. Okay boys, you know what to do. Now get out there and make us proud, you are dismissed!”

Making his way out Freezor was stopped by the head coordinator, who asked to talk with him privately. He complied with this and made his way back to his seat, looking back up to the pegasus in front of him as he looked through a folder.

“It says here you have a rare wing condition known as ‘Featheritis’ that hinders your flight abilities, is that correct Mr. Relic?” The pegasus asked, briefly looking up from the papers in the folder.

“Yes sir, I had it since I was born.” Freezor was worried, he had wished to be apart of the team that would move the snow clouds into position all over Equestria. “Why do you ask sir, I was told it wouldn’t effect me getting a job.”

“Well, it won’t affect you getting a job, alright.” Setting the folder down on the desk he continued. “You see, you were wanting to move clouds across the sky. And knowing of this wing condition makes it so I am unable to give you the job.”

Freezor’s heart sank, he knew his condition would keep him from joining his friends in flight camp. But he was constantly reassured he would still be able to get a job in the Weather Factory. “B-but sir, you said..!”

“Now hold on a second Freezor, I know what I said.” The coordinator said, interrupting Freezor’s sentence. “I said it wouldn’t affect you getting a job; I never said anything about it not affecting the job you asked for.”

Walking over to the younger pegasus he placed a hoof on his back, he continued. “Now, here’s the job I’m offering to give you as a replacement. The last person who was overseeing the Freezer Reactor had to quit since his eyesight was getting bad, and without the freezer reactor we can’t make snowflakes.” He pointed out the window and motioned to all the land they could see. “And without snowflakes, there wouldn’t be any snow-clouds, and without snow-clouds there would be no snow for the land below us. The job I am offering you is one that will have a connection to the job you asked for, would you wish to take over the Freezer Reactor, Mr. Relic?”

“I-I would be honored sir!” Freezor stammered out, thankful he could still be of use in the team of weather pegasi. “But why did you pick me of all the ponies? I don't know much about the technology used here.”

“Don’t worry Mr. Relic, you’ll be instructed by somepony I trust dearly...” The coordinator said with a smile while patting Freezor on the back. “Dismissed”

______________________________________________________________________________

“Now hold on one second!” Rainbow Dash called out, stomping her hoof on the ground. “How could an earth pony like you get into the weather team in Cloudsdale!?

“Now Dash, let him finish his...” Twilight said, before she was interrupted by Freezor.

“Well maybe if you let me finish you would find out!” The cyborg snapped back at the rainbow colored pegasus. “How would you like it if someone said there was no way you could do a Sonic Rainboom if you were telling them the story of how you saved your friend?!”

“How do you know about that!”

“I came from Cloudsdale, you know; I was visiting my parents when that HAPPENED!”

“How can I tell that you are telling the truth, and not lying again!”

“I AM STRAPPED UP TO THIS BLASTED MACHINE THAT TELLS IF I AM!”

“ENOUGH!” Twilight called out, the two fighting ponies quickly turned their attention to her. “Can’t you let him finish his story Dash, he mentioned he had a wing condition, it could be the cause of why he has no wings.”

“Don’t directly...” Freezor mumbled under his breath.

“I guess you’re ri- what was that?” Dash ask glaring at the cyborg pony, only to be given a disappointing glare from Twilight. “...Never mind, continue with your story.”

“Thank you, it was about a week after I was hired on before I got to work. I was given a brief rundown of how to work the reactor worked...”

______________________________________________________________________________

“Are you ready to meet your instructor from here on out, Freezor?” His instructor asked him, he was around the same age as Freezor, so the two became friends while they were going over how the reactor worked. “I’m sure you saw her when you was in the debriefing a week ago.”

“I’m not sure if I can say I did, Tornado, can you give me a hint?” Freezor asked while they reached a large door that was labeled “Freezer Reactor”.

“Oh I’m sure you will know who when you see her, there’s nopony like her in all the weather team.” Tornado said chuckling a bit, before knocking on the door. “Ms. Diamond, I am here with the new employee.”

“Okay, one second!” A cheery voice called from behind the door, a few moments after, the door opened to show the coordinator’s assistant standing with a smile. “Hello Mr. Relic, I’m Frosty Diamond. I will be overseeing your work here.”

Freezor stood there, while he hadn’t told anypony this, but he had a small crush on her. He never thought he would be working with her though, Tornado could see the expression on Freezor’s face and spoke up.

“Hello Frosty, Freezor here is a bit nervous since it’s his first day on job. So he may act a bit funny, but he shouldn’t be any problem for you.” He turned and gave Freezor a wink. “Besides, I’m sure you two will get along just fine!”

“Wh-where are you going?” Freezor asked as his former instructor walked away. “I thought you were going to help me learn the basics!”

“I already did Relic, now I am letting Frosty teach you the rest.” Tornado chuckled while walking away. “Don’t worry, she won’t bite.”

There was a bit of awkward silence after he left, Freezor stared at the ground while Frosty was trying to think of something to say. “Soooo, I heard you were selected as the new operator for the Freezor Reactor?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Are there any questions you would like to ask before we start?”

“Ye- No ma’am.”

Frosty stared at Freezor for a moment, noticing how much he was shaking she walked over and put a hoof on him. “Don’t worry, you’’ll do just fine.”

Freezor finally lifted his head up from looking at the floor and looked at his new instructor. Giving off a weak smile, he built up the courage to say a sentence with more than two words. “Okay, if you say so.”

---

About two years have gone by, and Freezor quickly worked his way up in the Winter Facility. He was known as one of the most faithful and dependable workers, hardly ever did he call in sick. While most thought it was because he loved his work, Tornado knew the other reason...

“You know Freezor.” Tornado said while walking up to his friend, who was busy checking on the Reactor. “You better act fast if you want to get her.”

“W-what do you mean?” Freezor ask, quickly turning his head.

“Oh come on, don’t act like it’s hard to tell. You have a crush on Frosty!” Jabbing Freezor’s side while giving off a laugh. “Ever since day one I saw how nervous you were around her.”

“B-but what if she thinks I was only working so hard to win her over?” Freezor asked sitting down. “I don’t want her to get mad at me, or think I am not a good worker!”

“Freezor, chill.” Tornado put his hoof on the shaking pegasus and continued. “I have worked with Frosty longer than you have, and I know how she is. She doesn't judge by the outside, but by the heart. She will love you for who you are and not some mask.”

“So you think... she might like me?”

“No doubt, you are an honest worker who tries his hardest. What else could she want?”

“A pony who could fly for longer....” Freezor mumbled while flapping his wings.

“Hey, not everypony is a star flier, I was over at the flight camp the other day and saw a yellow pegasus who could hardly fly at all. But she still had a friend who was willing to help her out!” Giving Freezor another jab as he pointed to a door that was opening. “Her she comes now, why not give it a shot?”

“I-if you don’t mind, I think I’ll wait til lunch break. I need to figure out what to say and...”

“No problem, I’ll be here if you need anypony to talk to though. I have some clouds to clean up, so I’ll catch you at lunch” Tornado flew off leaving Freezor alone, who spent this time thinking of what he should say.

______________________________________________________________________________

“Wait, seriously?” Rainbow Dash interrupted. “YOU was trying to get a date?”

“...Yes, I was. do you have a problem with that?” Freezor asked with a snarl.

“Well, maybe, maybe not!” Rainbow Dash said flying over to him. “I am just shocked that a jerk like you would even try!”

“Rainbow Dash, not again...” Twilight moaned as she put a hoof on her head.

“Oh, and like YOU are doing so much better? You keep interrupting my story!”

“Oh yeah, and so that‘s worse than attacking two ponies?”

“I never said anything like that!”

“Then what DO you mean!”

“What I mean is-”

“Both of you, please stop.” Crystal interjected, poking out from behind the staircase where she was listening. “This fighting isn’t going to help us understand Freezor’s past, and this w-will go a lot faster if-if you stop interrupting, Rainbow.”

“She’s right, just sit down and let him finish!” Twilight said, growing tired of her friend’s interruptions. “If you can’t sit quietly then please leave!”

“O-okay, sorry.” Rainbow Dash slowly landed on the ground giving off a weak smile.

“If I get interrupted one more time, you won’t be getting anything else from me. Got it?” Freezor stated, he looked around watching each of the ponies nod before continuing. “It was only a little later before lunch started...”

______________________________________________________________________________

The lunch room was always a active place at the Weather Factory, pegasi would talk and play some games while they ate. Freezor had just found himself a table when he heard a voice call his name.

“Hey Freezor, over here!” Tornado called from another table, seeing he caught his attention he continued. “There’s somepony I’d like you to meet!”

“Who is it?” Freezor asked, while he joined his friend at the table.

“Well, she’ll be back in a bit, she had to go do something.” Tornado said looking over his back, giving a hoof motion. “You may have seen her before...”

Frosty then, almost like she was in a play, walked up to the table. “Tornado, you said there was somepony you wanted me to- Oh, hello Freezor!”

“Uh-um, H-hello Frosty” Freezor mumbled out, glancing to his friend for help. But the only thing he got was a simple grin and a wink.

“Have a seat Frosty, Freezor here has something he would like to ask you.”

“I-I do?..I mean I DO, well. Not THAT kind of a....” Freezor quickly stopped his rambling before he would make a fool out of himself.

“Uh, Freezor. Are you okay?” Frosty asked raising an eyebrow while opening a juice box.

“Yeah, it’s just that I um...” Taking a deep breath Freezor cleared his mind, this could possibly be his only chance and he didn’t want to waste it. “W-would you like to go out to dinner after w-work?”

Frosty was speechless, she glanced at Tornado who gave her nod. “Th-that sound wonderful!”

“How about the Cloudy Domain, I hear they have good sandwiches.” Freezor asked, finally feeling a bit more comfortable about talking to Frosty.

“Isn’t that a bit costly for a dinner?”

“Don’t worry, I got the bits to buy your food”

“Are you sure..?” Frosty asked, Freezor gave her an reassuring look. “I-if you say so...”

---

After work was over, Freezor and Frosty went to the Cloudy Domain for the planned dinner. But before Freezor got there he went to pick up some stuff he had bought earlier. They had a nice little chat while they ate their food, once they were done Freezor reached for his saddlebag.

“Excuse me miss” A little filly asked as she ran up to the table. “Could you give me a few bits? I am almost at the end of a game in the arcade and I just need a few more bits to finish.”

“Aww. aren’t you the sweetest little filly I’ve seen.” Frosty said while reaching for her bit-bag, pulling out a few bits. “Here you go, if you need more just come back and ask.”

The little filly’s eyes lit up, and she quickly grabbed the bits in her mouth. “Thank you so much!”

"Wasn't that a cute little filly? I have never seen a pony so into the games before." Frosty said while turning back to Freezor.

Freezor looked up from his saddle bag for a moment, to watch as the filly scampered off to the arcade again. “Heh, I am still surprised she asked you for some extra bits. Then again, who would doubt such a kind pegasus like you, Frosty?"

"Oh you flatter.~" Frosty giggled, but was interrupted when some flowers landed in front of her. “Oh-oh my, Freezor. Are these f-for me?”

“Y-yes, and umm.” Quickly, Freezor unfolds a piece of paper he had lying next to him. “I have been meaning to ask you this for awhile, but never got the courage to ask you. I've been in love with you ever since I joined the weather team, I was afraid you wouldn't like me so I stayed away. But time has shown me that you are a loving mare, one who looks on the inside and not the outside. So I am asking if you would like to go on another date sometime in the future...?”

Frosty just stared at Freezor for a moment, but her eyes quickly lit up as she gave Freezor a tight hug. “I’d love to go on another, Freezor!”

Freezor gave off a sigh of relief as he returned the hug, his dream finally became real.

---

Several months passed, Freezor and Frosty quickly became close friends. But that’s when the truth finally came out. They was sitting at a bench near the Freezer Reactor, talking away like friends always do.

“...And then I said, Popcorn, are you crazy?!” Freezor said, finishing a joke he was saying. The two quickly broke out into a fit of laughter, not noticing the other pegasus walking up.

“Hey Frosty, guess who.” The pegasus whispered, causing Frosty to jump a bit.

“Storm Dasher, not now...” Frosty said while poking the other pegasus with her wing.

Freezor noticed the other pony, thinking he was another worker at the Weather Factory, he quickly turned around to check the Reactor.

“It looks like you two were just finishing anyways, beside. We are going to be late for our dinner if you sit here and wait for him.” Storm Dasher said, looking at Freezor.

“Can’t I at least tell him I am going to be....” Frosty tried to protest.

“Don’t worry, he’ll understand. Trust me.” Storm Dasher said, while finally convincing Frosty to come with him.

______________________________________________________________________________

“And that’s when it happened.” Freezor said, glaring at the ponies around him. “I tried to figure out what was going on, and Frosty’s “friend” knocked me into the reactor. It almost cost me my life, that is until that same pegasus saved me. I should have known all along that it was a plan, I was just being used as a fill in until he came back!”

Twilight just stared at him, she had mixed feelings after hearing his story. “I-I’m so sorry... I didn’t know it was that horrible..”

Rainbow Dash felt even worse, she had been so rough on him without listening to his full story. “Man, I guess you do have a reason to be upset at them...”

“But it still doesn’t mean you should take your anger out on others...”Twilight said, looking at Freezor. “But I think I know what you need to do, it should help you overcome this!”

“I doubt it, the images of that haunt my dreams every night...” Freezor said in a more broken voice this time. “I always wonder if there was anything I could have done to have stopped it from ending like that...”

“Now now Freezor, we went over this yesterday. You can’t change the past, but you can change the future!” Twilight said walking over to him, she started to unhook him from the machine. “And all you need, is something to take your mind off the past. Maybe if you can find a job you enjoy you can erase those bad memories with fun ones!”

“Well... I can imagine a few things he could do.” Crystal piped up, hesitantly approaching to an even distance with the other non-cyborgs. “I’ve seen a few Help wanted signs around town, and th-there’s also a few ideas he could do on his own...”