• Published 15th May 2012
  • 2,341 Views, 18 Comments

Relics of a Wounded Soul - Coat Rack



A strange pony visits Ponyville carrying a troubled past, can Twilight and her friends help him?

  • ...
3
 18
 2,341

- Chapter 6 - Reconstructing Friendship

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

:Relics of a Wounded Soul:

My Little Pony OC story

[Sad] [OC] [Grimdark]

Chapter 6: Reconstructing Friendship

______________________________________________________________________________

“Hey Freezor, any luck on getting that job at the Weather Factory?”
“I don’t know, I haven’t heard back from them yet. So all I can do is just hope for the best.”
“Don’t worry, I’m sure you will get the job!”

______________________________________________________________________________

Freezor slowly awoke from his well-needed sleep, having been questioned for a good chunk of the day followed by looking for work that he could do left him tired. Slowly he got out of his bed and started his system check while looking at the clock, it was just a little past seven. “Well, let’s see what kind of insanity this day will hold.”

After his checkup was done, he went over to his kitchen to make himself some breakfast. Not wishing to have another run-in with the crazy ponies that seemed to fill the town, he decided on a simple muffin that he had found in his mailbox yesterday. While he ate he was still trying to figure out why a muffin would have been put in a mailbox in the first place.

“Who am I kidding” Freezor snorted, resting his head on the table. “If I try to understand what goes on here I’ll fry my circuits, or something as crazy as this town.”

A knock came from the door breaking him away from his thoughts, a voice he was all too familiar with. “Freezor, are you awake yet? Those jobs won’t do themselves after all.”

It was her, the pink hyperactive pony who probably drove the the town to the point of insanity it is at, Pinkie Pie. Groaning as he got up from the table and headed to the door to open it, no less than half a second after opening it the pink pony started to burst out into a song.

“♫Good morning to you, Good morning to you! You silly Robotic thingy, Good morning to you!♫

“...How many cups of coffee did you HAVE this morning?” Freezor asked, trying to find out how on earth a pony could be so hyper all the time. “You know what, forget it. I think it would be better I DIDN’T find out.”

“Aww, don’t be such a grumpy-pants. I was just trying to brighten up your day with a song!” Pinkie said, an innocent smile covered her face that always creeped the cyborg out. “Crystal is here to help us get you a job, that way you can forget about all those mean things those mean ponies did to you!”

“How did you....” Staring into the eyes of the pink pony while trying to ask his question was like staring into the night sky, it was endless and made you realise you are much smaller than you think you are. “Something about you creeps me out, Pinkie. And if you don’t wipe that smile off your face, Celestia is my witness I will freeze a frown on your face.”

“Whoa there, Freezor... that’s a little harsh.... don’t you think?” Crystal asked, poking her head out from around Pinkie’s voluminously poofy mane.

“It’s hardly as bad as having her tag along...” Freezor said while walking past Pinkie, giving her a gare with his red eye. “So you said there was a job at an... Apple farm nearby?”

“Oh, she must mean Sweet Apple Acres!” Pinkie Pie said, ignoring the previous threat and joining the other two. “I bet a strong robot-thingy would be able to get the apples off the trees in no time!”

“And he could freeze the roots of blighted trees to make removing them before the disease spreads easier.” Crystal added her two cents on the matter.

“Very well then, let’s get this over with.” Freezor started walking down the street and turned a corner, a little bit later he returned. “Um, care to lead the way?”
“Wow, you don’t have some fancy map thing that tells you where to go?” Pinkie asked, tilting her head to the side. “I thought for sure you would have one, oh well! Follow me!”

The pink pony skipped ahead of the two while singing a cheery song, Freezor didn’t pay much mind to it, but he knew it had something to have something do with ‘hunting for a job’ or ‘Sweet Apple Acres”

______________________________________________________________________________

After a while of walking the trio reached the apple farm, Freezor had to admit that the scenery there was amazing. Walking up to the gate he heard the sound of hooves hitting trees, and a wagon’s wheels rolling along the dirt.

“Hey AJ, your new worker is here!” Pinkie called out to her friend who was busy helping her brother put baskets on the wagon. “I’m pretty sure you’ve met him before, I mean he’s hard to miss!”

“While Ah appreciate the offer Pinkie, couldn’t y’all have come a might bit earlier? We already gone and started.” Applejack called back while walking away from a group of trees to meet the group. “So who is it you got? I already told you that coat maker wouldn’t be able to help.”

There was a moment of awkward silence as the earth pony stared at the cyborg, the two gave of a single remark at the same time. “It’s you?”

“What are you trying to pull here, are you trying to get me to join your insane little group of friends?” Freezor asked, quickly glaring at the two ponies who lead him to the farm. “I came here for work, not an infection of insanity.”

“Now Freezor, you aren’t the only one who will be working here. You will be helped by her big brother and her sister, I’m sure you’ll be able to find some fun in this!” Crystal said with a smile on her face. “If it’s okay with AJ, maybe we could help too.”

“Fine, I’ll give him a try. But if he causes any trouble then he’s out of here, ya hear that Relic?” Applejack said, turning around and heading off into the acres of trees. “We’ll start you off with buck’n some trees.”

______________________________________________________________________________

*WHAM!*


The group of ponies were busy working away at getting apples down from the trees, the cybernetic pony was clearly going faster than the others. All was going smooth, and Freezor was actually starting to loosen up again. They were making some small talk and passing jokes around while they worked.

“See Freezor, Twilight was right. Finding a job would help you relax!” Crystal said while taking a break from bucking to pick up some apples that fell on the ground.

“I guess you’re right, but the only way to truly find out is when we are do-” Freezor was cut off by a rather upset sounding Applejack.

“FREEZOR, what in tarnation do you think you’re doing!” The orange earth pony walked over to Freezor glaring at him angrily before pointing a hoof off towards a group of trees he was just working at. “Look what you’ve done to the trees, you’ve gone and bucked them so hard you left marks of your hooves in them! You could have killed some of these trees!”

“...Well I can honestly say that I didn’t mean to do that.” Freezor said, staring at the wounded trees. “Perhaps I should try and help with the wagons?”

“I suppose so, but just don’t go breaking them too!” Applejack turned towards a red colt that was about to leave with some wagons filled with apples. “Hey Big Mac, why don’t you take Freezor here with you and show him where to put the apples?”

The colt simply gave a nod and motioned for Freezor to follow him, Freezor hooked himself to a kart and followed him to a barn that was nearby. Inside was an old, grey-maned earth pony sorting out the good apples from the bad ones. “Who’s the friend you got there Macintosh, is he the helper that is taking Applebloom’s place while she’s off on the fieldtrip?”

“Eeeeeeyup” the crimson stallion replied with a thick drawl.

“What’s yer name sonny? I don’t recall seeing you here before.” Looking up from her work she noticed Freezor’s cyborg parts, blinking a few times as she tried to figure out what was standing infront of her. “Is it Nightmare Night again already, I thought we still had a few more months!”

“Actually, this is not a costume.” Freezor said, trying to keep his anger in check over having the fact he was thought to be in a costume thrown at him again. “And I’m Freezor Relic, but you can call me Freezor.”

“I’m Granny Smith, and this here’s Big Macintosh.” Getting back to her work she continued. “All you have to do is unload the apples and I’ll sort them out, easy as... zzzzz”

“Umm, Granny. Ya fell ta sleep again.” Macintosh said while giving her a slight nudge, waking her up again.

The two of them unloaded their wagons and went back to the fields for more, the two of them were working well together and were making good time. As the loads kept piling up in the barn, Big Mac began to try to find ways to slow Freezor down. But finally he had enough when an accident happened.

“Stooop!” Macintosh hollered out while Freezor was emptying his wagon again, this made the cyborg jump since he never heard him raise his voice while they talked.

“What is it?” He ask while getting himself unhooked from the wagon. “Is there something wrong?”

“Oh course there’s something wrong, ya’ll gone and almost buried Granny Smith with all these here apples! You should be more mindful of other ponies around you, working fast is nice and all but you need to show some respect for the ponies who aren’t as fast as you!” Glaring at Freezor angrily he continued his scolding. “First you go and beat up our trees, and now you’ve gone and overworked granny!”

“I wasn’t racing I was...” Freezor was slowly backing away while trying to form a response, when the other ponies came running in to see what all happen.

“What in tarnation is going on in here Mac!” Applejack said, as she dashed into the barn followed by the others. When she saw the large pile of apples next to the overworked Granny Smith, she joined her brother in the scolding. “Relic, what is the matter with you! Can’t you show some respect for us at the farm!”

“Listen here mister, I believe it’s quite clear you aren’t fit for the farm. So how about you take your fancy machine-enhanced self and find some job in the city!” The red colt pointed to the door, Freezor was about to respond but was quickly cut off. “Now!”

______________________________________________________________________________

“Well THAT could have turned out better...” Freezor said while looking at the ground, kicking a rock while he walked. “I guess he was right though, a robot isn’t suited for a farm.”

“It was mean for you to not check and see if Granny was doing okay with her work before you piled more apples on her.” Pinkie said, for once she didn’t have that smile on her face that drove him insane. This was worse to him now though.

“The least they could have done was let you try and slow it down, or help Granny catch up with the sorting to correct it.” Crystal added with a sympathetic hoof to Freezor’s shoulder.

“Well, it’s too late now. What’s next on the list? Preferably NOT something to do with a farm.” Freezor shaked the hoof off while looking at the other two.

“Well... I heard about a newcomer to town that opened a clothing shop of some sort. How about that?” the blond pegasus offered, slight concern still etched onto her face.

“Oh, I know who you’re talking about!” Pinkie called out, her face all bright and cheery again. “I’m sure he’d be happy with some help, after all he is new to town just like you!”

“Hmm, this doesn’t sound that bad. Maybe he won’t be quite as insane as your friends...” Freezor pondered for a moment on the thought of working in a clothing shop, while it didn’t seem like a job a cyborg could help out much with it had to be better than working with the crazed friends of Pinkie. “I’ll give it a shot, lead the way.”


Inside a small shop in Ponyville sat a steel-blue earth pony with a black mane, he was busy reading a book on the upper living space of his shop. He heard the sound of the bell next to the door ring, putting the book away he quickly made his way down to the front desk to see who it was.

“Hello and welcome to The Coat Rack, the place with the best deals on coats for all the seasons!”

‘Well... Rarity only makes dresses and such... I guess this guy has a market...’ Crystal thought. “Hello. My friend here was wondering if you needed some help around the shop?” She asked before stepping aside to reveal Freezor.

“...Oh my...” The pony stared blankly at Freezor for a long time. “I-i-it’s a-a Cyberp-pony...”

“A what?” Freezor asked tilting his head in confusion. “And before you ask, this is not a costume. It is 100% real.”

The pony fainted and fell to the ground, a goat-like bleat escaping his throat as his legs pointed straight skyward.

“...Well that was strange!” Pinkie called out while walking up to the unconscious pony. “Hey Coat Rack, wake up! He ain’t no evil robotic pony, he’s just a grumpy pony with a need of a job!”

“I don’t think he can hear you Pinkie, he sorta fainted” Freezor said, of all the ponies who had seen him, this was one of the few that had fainted at the sight. “And I can already see how this job will not be working out, so what’s next on the list?”

“Well, there’s this one snack shop worker who is looking for a helper, since the head bakers are going out of town for awhile.” Pinkie said while looking at a notepad that she pulled up from seemingly nowhere.

“A... snack shop, really?” Freezor asked giving a empty stare at Pinkie, whose smile was yet again driving him insane.

“Yeppers, and trust me it’s a good one! Tons of people come in all the time, so fast workers are needed!” Pinkie said while skipping out the door, not waiting for Freezor to respond.

“...Considering how the farm went, that’s a pretty good-sounding possibility, eh Freezor?” Crystal asked, nudging the cyber-stallion.

“...I suppose so, let’s go follow that crazy pony.” Freezor said while leaving the shop, stopping a moment to look at the still out-cold pony on the floor. “I wonder if he’ll be okay...”

“I’ll catch up after I fix him, Freezor. Go ahead.” Crystal instructed, putting on a pair of hoof-boots from her saddlebags and ever so slightly bending her foreleg away from the shopkeeper.

“Okay then, hopefully you know what the place is called.”

*THWACK*


“OW! WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!” A striking sound and piercing shriek of pain rang out after Freezor was outside. Crystal then quickly ran after the mechanical pony, looking terribly guilty of mischievousness.

“What was that?” Freezor asked.

“Oh nothing~” She sang out as they continued to the bakery.

______________________________________________________________________________

After catching up to Pinkie Pie, the ponies found themselves outside Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie Pie was waiting for them at the door and let them in, Freezor took a look around the place noting that it seemed oddly familiar, like he had been there before.

“So... where’s the pony I ask for the work?” Freezor asked staring at Pinkie, noticing that her smile got notably larger. “..Y-you d-don’t mean...”

“You bet I do!” Pinkie squealed while jumping back into the kitchen, shortly she returned with two bakers hats. She put one on herself, and tossed the other one to Freezor.

“Don’t worry, Freezor!” Crystal called out as Pinkie was dragging the robo-pony into the kitchen, “The Cakes are actually quite calm!

“Clearly you didn’t hear what Pinkie said!” Freezor yelled back. “The head bakers are gone!”

“...Good luck with that then!” and then the pegasus mare darted out the door.

Inside the kitchen, Pinkie was already getting pans and ingredients from all over to place set up at seemingly impossible speeds. Freezor tried to comprehend how a pony could move so fast, but before he could even get a slight clue the pink pony was standing beside him again.

“Are you ready to start Mr. Robot Pony?” Pinkie asked, looking to her new assistant.

“No, quite frankly I am not ready.” Freezor said staring at Pinkie, his eye changing red once again. “What did I say about dragging ponies around anyways, or is your mind really THAT empty?”

Pinkie looked at Freezor for a moment, he smile fading once again and replaced with a annoyed frown. “Why do you have to be so mean all the time Freezy, we are trying to help you and you are always insulting me and my friends!”

“Clearly you are not doing any better than I am, you keep dragging me around like some Smarty Pants doll.” Freezor snorted, the two were now giving each other death glares. “Maybe you should go and get a real job, and not just eat all these sweets you make. They probably drove you to the point of insanity you are at now.”

“Pinkie, is everything alright in there?” A voice called from outside the kitchen, breaking the two ponies‘ death stares apart. A grey pegasus with a jetblack mane walked into the room. “I was coming in for my box of doughnuts before I start my shift at the Weather Factory, and I heard you yelling at somepony.”

“Oh, hey there Mr. Tornado!” Pinkie said, quickly changing her mood back to her happy self. “Me and my friend here will get right on it, isn’t that right Freezor?”

“I guess so, just don’t try to drag me any more, okay?” The cyborg sighed, knowing all hope of him getting away with his sanity was now gone.

“...Freezor, is that really you?” Tornado asked, walking up to the two ponies as they set to work. “I thought you left to Manehatten after your accident in the factory, how’d you wind up here?”

______________________________________________________________________________

The sun had just set, two pegasi were standing on a edge of a cloud overlooking a city’s bright lights.

“So Freezor, you are really going to leave Cloudsdale over a simple accident?” Tornado asked Freezor, who was staring off into the city’s lights.

“I don’t see why I would belong here, I lost what little bit of flying I could do from that.”

“Come on, is that really the most important thing you have here? What about all your friends, what about Frosty?”

Never say that name again.” Freezor said, quickly turning to his friend. His cybernetic eye glowing red. “She was the one who caused the accident, why would I ever want her around again?”

“..Fine, leave. If you are going to hold that kind of a bitterness towards us at factory, then you might as well move on and find a new place to call home.” Tornado said, turning away from his friend. “Maybe next time we see each other you will have your life’s dream made out.”

“It will never happen Tornado, it will never happen.”

______________________________________________________________________________

“Hellooooo?~ Pinkie Pie to Freezor, do you copy?”

Freezor slowly looked around the place, seeing it was only him and Pinkie once again. “W-what happen to the other pony?”

“Well... He was trying to get your attention while you were helping me with his doughnuts, but you were too into your work I guess and you didn’t hear him, or me.” Pinkie said, giving off a giggle while pointing to the ice cream scoop Freezor was holding. “And instead of giving him doughnuts, you put ice cream scoops into the box!”

“...I did what?” Freezor asked, looking down at the ice cream scoop in his hooves. “Oh for crying out loud, he wasn’t upset was he?”

“Oh of course not, he loved the ice cream!” Pinkie said, her eyes lighting up. “And I think I know just the job for you, and you live right near it!”

“Oh, so I didn’t get the job here?” Freezor asked, looking around he quickly saw his answer. Every snack in the shop had ice cream on the top of it, even Pinkie had ice cream on her. “...whoops.”

“Come on, let’s get you to your new job!” Pinkie said skipping out the door, leaving Freezor shocked he wasn’t dragged along again.

“Well, it seems she learned something at least.” Freezor said, putting the ice cream scoop back on the counter and following the party pony.

______________________________________________________________________________

The sun was starting to set again, while it didn’t seem like the day should have been over yet it was. The two ponies walked down the road, something happen after the flashback that made Freezor more open to talk. As they neared their destination the two were singing a light song together, earning some shocked looks from the ponies who were still outside.

“See Freezor, a song will brighten up your day!” Pinkie chirped as she stopped at the door of the building. “Well, night in our case, but you know what I mean!”

“Ha ha, I guess you’re right, but I still think you are crazy.” Freezor looked up at the building they was at, it was his house. “Um, Pinkie. Why did you take me to my house, I thought we was going to my next job?”

“Don’t be silly Freezor, you should know why we are here!” Pinkie said, hopping into the already open door.

On the inside, Crystal was busy cleaning the glass on the counter. “Well, about time you two figured out what you’d be good at, Freezor!” She giggled as she put the rag away. “I figured it out after you nearly made me a pegacicle.”

“Well, I was turned into a ice cream cone, or pie!” Pinkie said, pointing to the ice cream that was still on her mane. “See?”

“Okay, but who would I talk to about the job?” Freezor asked looking around, noticing the two other ponies was staring at him. “Wait, you mean I will be the one running things?”

Crystal and Pinkie looked at each other briefly before responding in unison, “Well, DUUUUH!”

“Who else would be the boss of a business run from inside your house, silly?” Crystal continued alone.

“I guess all this job hunting has me too tired to think.” Freezor gave off a chuckle, his eye turning a green color.

“Ohh, a new eye color! What does it mean, what does it mean!” Pinkie said jumping up and down.

“Well, it means I am happy.” Freezor said, a full smile was finally seen on his face. “Thank you, Pinkie and Crystal, I guess you aren’t quite as insane as I thought you were.”

“Um, excuse me?” A small voice piped up. “Ah came here to say me and mah family are sorry.”

Freezor turned to see who it was, it was Applejack’s little sister, Applebloom. “Hey, I thought you were gone on a field trip.”

“Well, I was but it got cut short when Sylvia and some of the other ponies caught a sickness that got passed around.” Applebloom said, looking at the ground.

“Sylvia’s sick?!” Crystal cried suddenly before darting out the door.

“Anyways, me and mah family is sorry for giving you such a hard time at the farm, it’s just after they heard what y’all did yesterday had ‘em on edge.” Looking up she continued. “Do you think you could forgive us, and if you want, you can try again tomorrow if ya want.”

“While I appreciate the offer, I found myself a job already.” Freezor said, patting the filly on her head. “Now why don’t you get back home before it gets too late, you don’t want them to worry about you.”

“So does this mean you accept the apology?” The filly asked while heading to the door.

“Yes, it does. I know I should have been more careful when I worked, but I sometimes get carried away. So that’s why I am starting my own job here, a ice cream parlor.” Freezor looked up at the clock, noticing how late it was he continued. “Perhaps you should have Pinkie walk you home, it’s not right for a little filly to be out this late by herself.”

“But I ain’t a little filly!” Applebloom protested. “I can take care of myself!”

“He’s just trying to make sure no mean ponies come along and snatch you up.” Pinkie said walking over to the filly. “How about we stop by Sugar Cube Corner and get a snack for the walk, I’m sure AJ wouldn’t mind.”

“I guess so...” The two earth ponies made their way out of Freezor’s new shop, bidding him farewell.

Freezor was left alone again, he gave off a sigh while looking over the events of the day. He was fascinated by the kindness the ponies had showed him, even after all the rude things he said and did. Maybe he could have benefited from these things before he left Cloudsdale, walking up the stairs to his living space he picked up a picture frame he had set on his night stand.

“Just where are you, Frosty, where are you.”