• Published 12th May 2012
  • 9,435 Views, 283 Comments

The Hero of Time in Equestria - Mikoyose



Link finds himself transported to Equestria after a magical attack from Majora

  • ...
14
 283
 9,435

Sidequest: 'Gossip' stoned part 2

(Continuing on)

Link sighed before looking to Rarity "Rarity please don't tell anyone-"

"Anypony" Applejack corrected

"Anypony, sorry, about what the stones told you or about the mask or else ponies will try to take the mask. And if they do they may never trust each other, imagine what would happen then?" everypony's ears had drooped from the thought, all besides Pinkie, who couldn't stay thinking on one thing for long. Link gave Rarity a smile, she hesitated before returning it, Link stood up and said "Thank you Rarity" before bowing, his stomach growled. "Well I haven't had breakfast yet so let's get something to eat!" he clapped, walking towards the door "So where should we eat?" He stood at the door. The mane 6 thought about it before coming to the decision "Sugar cube corner."

They sat around a table full of plates with leftover crumbs from the muffins, cupcakes, cake, and five stacks of pancakes. "Those, uh pancakes? We don't have those in Hyrule... but they were amazing!" patting his stomach with both hands, Link smiled at Pinkie then at the others he noticed Rarity was missing. "Hey where'd Rarity go?" the other ponies looked at each other before they began the search.


Rarity had left after Link began eating his third stack of pancakes, she had looked out the window and seen Fancypants walking towards her Boutique. In shock she had left the ponies watching Link practically inhale the pancakes, stopping occasionally to drink milk, She passed Fancypants while he was talking to his mare 'friend' Fleur de Lis, without them noticing her as she ran into her shop. Fancypants entered a few seconds after with his 'friend' draping herself over his shoulder when he stopped moving. "Hello Fancypants, what brings you here?" Rarity asked walking up to Fancypants, failing to hide her nervous expression.

"No need to worry, I just came for those new designs of yours." he said placing his monocle on his right eye.

"Oh no, I completely forgot about those, because of the gossip st-" she cut herself off realizing what she had just said. Fancypants blinked a few times before adjusting his monocle.

"Gossip? I just love a little gossip do tell." he said with a smile. Rarity couldn't resist telling, plus she never pinkie swore to it. She used her magic to close the drapes and looked around conspiratorially before she began telling him what the stones had told her, without telling him about what they said about her friends and that she used a mask. He listened carefully without interrupting, when Rarity stopped he smiled "Oh that's very interesting, When did you say that the dresses would be finished?"

"Oh they will only take a few minutes you can wait if you would like to."

"No, I have business to take care of I'll be back in twenty minutes, they should be done by then correct?"

"That is correct Fancypants." Rarity watched Fancypants and his friend leave before running up her stairs to start working on the dresses "How could I have forgotten the dresses?!"

Link runs through the street falling backwards as he bumps into a tuxedo wearing stallion who has a "Oh I'm sorry, but have you seen a white mare with a curvy purple mane and tail?"

"Oh you mean Rarity? Yes she's in her boutique making the dresses I ordered."

"Thank you sir!"

"The name's Fancypants," he looked the hylian over quickly,"And, may I ask, who are you?"

"Oh I'm Link, nice to meet you Fancypants." Link smiles and holds out his hand, Fancy puts his monocle on and squints at Link's hand.

"I've never seen anything like you... Your outfit is so strange, I like it." Fancypants smiled, put his monocle away and walked into quills and sofas.

What a nice pony Link thought before running to the Carousel boutique.

Link looked around the room before walking up the stairs where he heard hooves galloping back and forth in Rarity's room. He pushed open the door, his jaw practically hitting the floor at what he saw; Fabric, floating everywhere with Rarity running back and forth between it all. "Um... Rarity what are you doing?" Link said making Rarity jump before she looked over and sighed.

"Well because of the mask i haven't finished or even started these dresses that I had to make for Fancypants."

"Fancypants, I just met him! He told me you were here." Link ducked as a sewing machine flew over his head to land on the nearest table, where Rarity began patching together the fabric and placing them on the pony mannequins. She was ignoring Link, focusing on the dresses. Link was ducking and jumping to avoid the fabric and the needles, he faceplanted after Rarity pulled some fabric from underneath him. He groaned while standing back up, "Well you seem busy... So I'll just leave you to your work, so... Um, bye." he narrowly dodged a pin-cushion as it scratched his ear.

Twilight and the others split up to find Rarity. Applejack and Twilight are asking around, Rainbow dash and Fluttershy are flying around looking for her. Lyra tells Applejack that she saw Rarity run into the Carousel boutique, she runs there after telling Twilight, who told Pinkie, and Rainbow, who told Fluttershy. They ran inside, seeing Link close the door to Rarity's room. He smiles at the mares and waves before walking down the stairs, "Hi, Rarity's here and she's working on some dresses for a pony named Fancypants, and she's concentrating really hard so... let's leave her to finish okay?"

Link opened the door to a very strange sight. It looked like every pony in Ponyville was trying to either smash or get the stones to tell them things. The five ponies and Link stared at everypony as they ran to each stone asking it a question before bucking it and moving on to the next one. "What in the hay is every pony doin'?" Applejack said what they were all thinking. An aquamarine pony with a lyre for a cutie mark was running past before she stopped and began staring at Link.

Link, meanwhile, was staring at the other ponies as they tried to get the stones to speak. He didn't notice the green mare run at him until it was too late and she had tackled him, sending his pouch flying and causing the contents to spill out. The mare had a very excited look in her eyes as she examined at his hands. Link looks up at her before looking at his items seeing the mask of truth had landed next to the stone, That's not good he thought before looking back at the mare, "Excuse me but can you please get off?" the mare ignored him as she poked his fingers

"YOU HAVE HANDS!"

"Yes. all Hylians do. Now please get off me." he asked the mare politely.

Again she ignored him while she was poking his hands, Link looks over at Twilight "Psst, Twilight sparkle." she looks over and he points at the mask next to the stone before the green mare started ogling his pointing finger. Twilight followed his finger, her eyes filling with terror at what she saw.

"The mask!" she turns to the other four mares, "We can't let anypony grab that mask!" she said, pointing a hoof at the mask.

"Ah got it." Applejack said running towards the white mask but stopping as an apple cart barreled past with three small fillies chasing after it, Applebloom stops chasing the cart and runs up to Applejack.

"Applejack! One of the ponies bucked the cart an' it rolled away." Applejack looked at the mask then turned and ran after the cart with her sister following. Rainbow dash smirks

"Just leave it to the fastest flier in Equestria." she flew at the mask gripping it in her teeth and flying onto a cloud, while Twilight levitated the green mare off of Link.

Link stands up and looks at the blushing green mare as she apologizes, "I'm really sorry about that. It's just that I've never seen a hand."

"It's alright, but can you help me pick up my stuff?" he said dusting himself off and waving at his items. The green mare nods and gallops towards a brown bag, Link's eyes go wide and he begins running "Be careful with that! It's full of BOMBS!" he yelled.

At the word bombs the green mare dropped the bag, sending four blue mouse like creatures skittering out of the bag, a red streak following each one. Link ran past and scooped up the bag, putting it in his pouch, before yelling at the ponies. "Hey! Get out of the way there are bombs here!" upon hearing this, the ponies stopped attacking the stones and galloped out of the path of the bombs to run into their homes, close the doors and windows, then board them up. Fluttershy flew above one of the bombs.

"This looks like a mouse." she said floating down to pick it up before it flashed red and exploded, leaving a scorch mark on the floor.

The butter colored mare watched the explosion in horror, falling to the scorch mark, tears hitting the mark. "What did I do?" Link runs up to her and strokes her mane.

"Don't worry Fluttershy, it was made to look like a mouse but it's a bomb." he said as one of the other bombs stops next to Fluttershy, he runs in front of the bomb and pulls his shield out, holding it in front of him as he crouches. The bomb goes off, pushing Link back a little, leaving another scorch mark. Link sighs and sees the last bomb moving towards a building.

Link runs towards his bow.Dives for it, grabs it and while still rolling picks up an arrow, nocked it, pulled back, and released. The arrow went flying through the air before hitting the bomb and causing it to explode prematurely. Link stood up and puts the bow away. Walking towards the nearest item, his hookshot.

Fluttershy walks up to Link, "Um t-thank you for that Link." she blushed and looked away.

"Don't worry about it, saving lives is what I do." he said, giving Fluttershy a smile and picking up the hookshot. The green mare walked up to Link, head hung low, looking like she was going to cry.

"I'm sorry. I-I didn't know they were bombs. I shouldn't have dropped it." Link looked at her. He walked over and pets the green unicorn.

"It's okay I should have warned you about the bombs I have." The green mare smiles enjoying the petting. Link stops petting her and begins running around, picking up the dangerous items first, "Oh and don't put on any of the masks. Some of them are extremely dangerous." he said picking up a round blue mask with a white skull painted on it, "Like this one." Twilight looks at the mask "What does it do?" Link answers as he puts it in his pouch.

"Oh it explodes when used." Twilight looks at him shocked.

"It explodes! Have you used it?"

"Countless times." This shocked Twilight even more.

"You've used it- what!?" Link answered while still picking up his items, taking some from the green mare,

"Yes I've used the mask several times, thank you, it regenerates after a short while. Hey what's your name?" he asked the mare as she brought him a mask that looked like Links face aside from looking older and having marks under the eyes. She answers after Link takes the mask out of her green aura.

"Oh sorry my name is Lyra heartstrings." Link chuckles as he sees the lyre on her flank, "What's so funny?" Link looks at her.

"It's just that your name matches your.. Uh-"

"Cutie mark."

"Yes cutie mark, thank you. So from your cutie mark I'm guessing your good at playing music."

"Yeah I'm good at playing the lyre."

"I've never tried playing the lyre but I know Zelda is really good at it."

Lyra gives him a curious stare, "Who's Zelda? Is she your special some pony?" Link blushes, fully understanding that meaning.

"Uh no she's a Hylian princess, not a pony and she's just a friend." Lyra laughs.

"That's how it always starts." this makes Twilight laugh and Link to change a darker shade of red. He stops talking and continues grabbing his items, his face never changing color.

He takes inventory on what was there and what wasn't. "Rainbow dash still has the mask of truth." Lyra gives him a strange look "What's the mask of truth?" Link looks at her and smiles "Don't worry about it." He looks at the sky, searching the clouds, "Which one is she in? Oh wait I can find out!" he said pulling out a purple magnifying glass that looked like an eye. He holds it up to his right eye, closing the left one, and looks at each of the clouds, they disappeared as his vision went over each of them, stopping when he saw the blue mare. He lowers the glass putting it back, and pointing at the cloud "She's in that one! But how do we get her down?" Twilight follows his sight and looks at the cloud, "I have an Idea." she said before her horn glowed and Rainbow dash was forcefully pulled out of the cloud. "Woah! what's the deal Twilight?" the blue mare said from the glowing aura around her.

Link walks up to her and holds out his hand "I'm going to need that mask back." Rainbow gives him an unconvincing look, "I don't know what your talking about." she crosses her hooves and looks away. "Hey Lyra why was everyone-" "Everypony" She corrected. "Yeah everypony, sorry, attacking the stones?" Lyra looked at one and frowns, "A famous pony named Fancypants said that these stones told him some gossip and he spread what they said. One said that I was a mediocre musician."
"Don't worry these stones tend to twist what they hear. I bet your amazing." He smiles making the green mare blush. Rainbow dash leans over to Twilight, "Are they together?" hearing this caused the green mare's blush to deepen, and Link's face to redden. Link looks at her "Don't change the subject I need the mask you took."
"I told you I don't know what you're talking about!" Link pulls out the magnifying glass and looks at Rainbow with it. Rainbow looks at him, "Uh what's that?" Link looks at her wings, and the mask appears to him.

Link walks to one side of Rainbow dash, she watches him as he stands next to her and reaches for her wings. Rainbow dash faces him, "What are you doing?" Link looks at her then looks at Twilight, "The mask is under her wing." Twilight nods, her horn glows Rainbow dash reaches under her wing grabs it and flies off. "I haven't used it yet!" Twilight's magic grabs her tail and pulls her back. Link stares at her before grabbing the mask and putting it in his pouch. "I already told you my masks are dangerous. Plus this one isn't very useful." he looks to Lyra who had walked up beside him "Then give me the mask, since you don't want it." Lyra leans over to Link and raises her hoof to her mouth and whispers something to him, Link raises an eyebrow but nods in reply and starts running his fingers through her mane, "Well Rainbow dash eventually you'd probably lose it and then you know what would happen." Rainbows ears droop as she remembers what he said would happen.

Lyra looks at Link curiously, "What's so dangerous about that mask?" Link looks at her and smiles, "Well if anypony found it, things could go bad when they find out what it can do." This just gets Lyra more curious, "And what can it do? Can it give ponies hands!?" she gets a slightly psychotic smile as she fantasizes about having hands. Link stifles a laugh before responding, "I'm sorry Lyra but I don't think there's anything that could do that." Lyra looks down and sadly said, "I guess you're right." Link saw this and placed his hand on her shoulder. "Don't get sad. I'm sorry but nothing in Hyrule could do that but maybe something can in Equestria." Lyra looks up and smiles, Link returns her smile. "If you'll excuse me I've got to talk with Rarity." he walks towards the Carousel boutique.

Link walks in to see Rarity lying on a sofa drinking what he guessed was tea. "Link, darling, how are you?" Link looks at her and sighs, "Um. Rarity why, did you tell Fancy pants about the stones?" Rarity almost spat out the tea she was drinking, her eyes widening. "What makes you think I would do that?" Link looks at her not believing the statement, "Because Fancypants said that he heard this gossip from you, who heard it from the stones." Twilight walks in with an angry Rainbow dash and a nervous Lyra. Twilight looks at Lyra, "You know you don't have to be here, right?" Lyra blushes and rubs the back of her head, "Well I know but..." Link turns around, "It's okay Twilight she's not doing any harm." he gives Lyra a smile and she returns it, her face a deeper red than before. Twilight rolls her eyes and turns back to Rarity, "Hello Twilight, Rainbow dash, and... Lyra." Link turns back to Rarity, "Rarity I know gossip is hard to keep hidden." Link says remembering one of the gossip stones saying he was going to marry princess Zelda at their young age, that rumor had spread quickly and he wasn't allowed to come near the castle until the rumor stopped and was replaced by another rumor about the gerudo women.

"Even in Hyrule gossip can't be kept hidden, it's alright but I still wish you hadn't done it. Just a few minutes ago everypony was trying to get the stones to speak to them, and what stopped them was a few bombs that were accidentally dropped." Lyra begins to look more nervous than before and Rainbow dash flies above Link while Twilight speaks with Rarity "I never saw the bombs, can I look at them?" Link looked at her for a short while before nodding "Okay I'll show you. Just don't take it. They are very dangerous." Link reaches into his bomb bag and pulls out one of his round blue bombs holding it in both hands. "It looks like a bowling ball." Link stares at Rainbow dash confused "Uh Rainbow dash? What's a bowling ball?" Rainbow dash opened her mouth to answer but was cut-off by Lyra, "A bowling ball is a round ball that you use to bowl." Link turns to Lyra "But what's bowling? Is it like bombchu bowling?" Rainbow dash lands in front of Link "Wait there's a type of bowling with bombs?!" Link nods and puts the bomb away to take out a bomb-chu, the mouse looking bomb. "This is a bomb-chu. In bomb-chu bowling you have to aim for a hole and send this towards it trying to avoid the obstacles in the way." He says holding the bomb up to Rainbow dash.

Twilight walks back while Rarity stays on her sofa. Link puts the bomb away and turns to Twilight, "Hi Twilight, um what did you tell Rarity?" Twilight looks over her shoulder at Rarity then turns back to Link "I told her I would send a letter to Princess Celestia asking what to do with the mask." Link nods "Well I can't have her taking it, who knows I might need it someday."
"I know but I'm still going to have to tell her what it can do." Twilight says walking out the door. Rainbow dash follows along with Link and Lyra. Lyra walks close to Link, so his hands brushes against her. Link tries to move aside to give Lyra some space only to have the gap close by Lyra.

Books and branches library

Link sits on the couch petting Lyra, after she asked again. Twilight was upstairs writing the letter to the Princess, and Rainbow dash had left to take a nap on a cloud. Link looks out the window at the clouds and thinks I wonder what it's like to sleep on a cloud. He stops petting Lyra when he hears Twilight walking down the steps. "Link, the Princess says that you can keep the mask as long as you make sure nopony grabs it." Link nods "That shouldn't be too hard. But I'm probably going to have to hide it during the night." He says remembering Rarity had taken it while he was asleep. Twilight adds, "Oh and Princess Celestia said that if you can't she'll take the mask and hide it where nopony will ever find it." Link looks at Twilight, "Well if she does then there can't be any rumors about it or else some treasure hunters may try to find it and if they do well you know." Lyra prods Link's side "What does that mask do?" Link turns to Lyra, "I'll tell you, but you have to promise you won't tell anyone-pony." Lyra nods and Link exhales and looks around, as if something was listening he leans in to Lyra and whispered "The mask allows the wearer to see into the mind of others, and speak with those stones.* Lyra's eyes opened wide "So this mask allows ponies to see into the minds of other ponies? That mask really IS dangerous... Um can. I use it?"

Link stares at her pleading eyes, and shakes his head apologetically "You know it's dangerous. Sorry". Lyra's ears droop and she says, "Oh. I guess you're right." Link walks up to her and strokes her mane, cheering her up a little "Don't be sad, I promised we can play music together later." he smiles at the green unicorn, who shyly returns his smile with a grin. Twilight looks at them with a growing smile, "Come on you lovebirds. We have to find a safe place for that mask." she said opening a door with her magic, Twilght's comment flushed the hylian and the unicorn both taking on the same shade of red. Link coughs and follows Twilight through the door into her basement. He passes through the door and slowly walks taking in his surroundings, he walks down the stairs his wandering eyes stopping and focusing on the strange machine in the center of the floor. "What in Din's name is that?" Twilight's head pops out from behind the steel object. "Din? Oh right the goddess from your story. Which goddess was she? Courage?" Link shakes his head walking up to the machine poking it tentatively, slowly touching it and sliding his hands all over it, "It's cold and hard like steel, but has lights and paper with ink?" Link stares at the paper coming out of the slot with the ink line. Twilight and Lyra giggle while they watch Link prod and examine the machine. He follows the wires to a helmet and cuffs, "Hey what are these things?" He says as he picks up the helmet and examines it. Twilight walks up to Link "These 'things' are my equipment I used them to try to find an explanation for Pinkie's Pinkie sense." Link looks at Twilight wearing the helmet, "Pinkie's what?" Twilight stifles a laugh while Lyra falls on her back laughing.

"Pinkie's Pinkie sense is a combination of spasms that tell of something happening in the immediate future. Like for example: a twitchy tail means somethings going to fall, ear flop, eye flutter, and knee twitch means watch out for opening doors." she rubs her head with a hoof remembering all the times a door had injured her, Link's eyes widen, "Having something like that would've been very helpful on some of the quests I had to go through." Link said taking the helmet off and putting it where it was. Lyra had stopped laughing and had stood back up wiping a tear away. Link walks up to Twilight and asks "How do you send letters to the princess? And how does she reply so quickly?" Link had seen the mailponies and none had been very fast. "Oh my assistant Spike sends them. He's a dragon." Link's eyes widen "You have a dragon for an assistant?! The last time I saw a dragon it was in the fire temple." Link said the last part to himself.
"How does he send them?"
"Spike blows fire on the letter and it magically gets sent to Celestia." Link nods, slightly less confused. Twilight levitates a chest to Link, "Here put it in this until we can find a better place." Link nods taking the mask out and putting it in the chest, Twilight locks the chest, with magic, and puts it away. "There. That should be good enough, for now."

Link stares at the chest, "Are you sure that's going to keep it safe? I mean can't magic just unlock it?" Twilight shakes her head with a grin, "No, I locked it with a strong spell. Nopony can unlock it besides me." Link stares at the chest still unsure. "Come on it's safe there." Link follows Twilight out, walking behind Lyra looking back down at the chest, a foreboding feeling in his chest as Twilight flipped a switch turning the lights off and closed the door.


(Well, here's a plot device for a future chapter plus I've already started the next chapter)