• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 3,990 Views, 123 Comments

A Displaced Mask Hunter - Runic_Soul



There's a saying that, 'No good deed ever goes unpaid'. However, in my case, said 'payment' has me running for my life or facing petrification. Oh, yeah, and there's these masks I have to grab, or who knows what will happen

  • ...
13
 123
 3,990

2 - An Appointed Destiny

Alex jumped over a overturned log, then turned back to look behind him. "I think I lost them," He said to himself, panting lightly as he did so. It had been a few hours since he had entered the forest, and he had been running without any real direction. At least, it felt like a few hours, He thought, looking up to see the sun still in the same position it had been when he had entered the forest as well as it had been an hour ago. I hope that it isn't stuck like that, Alex jokingly thought, and he turned to his right, ready to continue deeper into the forest. He had barely taken a few steps, however, when the shadows began to elongate at a rapid pace. Alex looked alarmingly back up in the sky, only to see the sun dive behind the mountains and a moon take its place.

"...I WAS ONLY JOKING!!!" Alex shouted, raising his arms up in exasperation. With the sun set, however, the forest became vastly more foreboding, its branches reaching for him. Perhaps I should take a rest, Alex thought, his arms now feeling sluggish and his legs feeling like jelly from all of the running. Taking a quick glance around, he saw a hole underneath a massive pine, the trunk of the tree easily wider than a truck with a 2.5' opening beneath it. Alex trudged over to the tree and, with some difficulty, managed to slip into the hole. Looking around the hole, he saw that, while it was only composed of dirt and roots, the crevice was quite spacious, and could easily fit him length-wise. Just as he was about to fall asleep, however, he remembered his quarry, and thought to himself, I should at least block the entrance, so that I don't get ambushed while I'm sleeping. Lifting himself back up, he walked over to the entrance and placed his hands on the base of the entrance.

"Now, how to trigger earth manipulation...," Alex muttered to himself, and experimented with how he used elemental powers. On his fifth attempt, in which he focused the 'feeling' he had felt earlier and projected it outwards, he finally succeeded, his hands becoming enveloped in the same violet aura that the Aqua Blaster Blade came with, the aura seeping into the ground in front of him. "Now we're getting somewhere," He muttered aloud and, careful to not go too fast, slowly raised the earth up until only a 3-inch gap was left at the top, leaving ample space for fresh air to come in. With that done, he lay back down and fell asleep in seconds, the day's toll finally taking him under.


Dreamscape

Alex blinked in confusion as he looked around. The second he had closed his eyes, he had opened them only to be an endless plain of white, with no hills or features. Looking down, he noticed that his arm was as it was once was, with skin pale and arm thin, and let out a sigh of relief. "Well, at least I'm back to being 100% organic," He mused.

"Greetings, Alex," A voice said, and Alex whipped around only to see a familiar metallic being standing in front of him. With curving shoulder blades, this golden being, while without weapon or shield, was a formidable sight to behold. However, it was the mask the being 'wore', with the image of a humanoid sprawling etched on the front for the face opening immediately identified who this was.

"Mata Nui! It's an honor to meet you," Alex said, bowing at the waist with his arms straight at his sides before uprighting himself. "However, if you don't mind me asking, sir," Alex asked, "But-"

"-How do I know your name?," The Great Being said, "I think you can figure this out." At this, Alex looked down in contemplation, thinking over what he knew of Mata Nui. Since his given mask was the Ignika, as shown in his current form, that instantly eliminated it being a Suletu. However, since it has been near-confirmed that Mata Nui had access to any elemental power, so perhaps...

"Is it because you're using the powers of a Ce-Toa?" Alex guessed.

"Not exactly," Mata Nui answered, "While I am using the telepathy of the Ce-Toa to contact you, it is not how I know your name. To put it simply, this," Mata Nui gestured to the surrounding area, "Is an astral plane, for which we can confer in peace." Alex's attention was drawn away to his internal thoughts at this statement. An astral plane? As far as Alex knew, they were only supposed to exist within series such as Dungeons and Dragons or the Marvel-verse, not Bionicle! Then again, Vakama had a similar divining dream like this place, so it was possible...

"Speaking of which," Mata Nui said, conjuring a glimmering teal orb and grasping it in his hands, "I managed to copy these memories from one 'DJ Pony' of the basic information beforehand. I think that you'll find them most useful if you want to blend in." That said, the Great Being threw the teal orb at the still inert Alex, and the human stumbled back as the teal orb was absorbed into him. As the orb was absorbed into him, Alex's mind began to catalogue names with figures he had met: 'Winged Ponies' were labeled 'pegasi', 'horned ponies' became 'unicorns'. There was even a fourth pony species with both features of the previously mentioned two called an 'alicorn', as weird as that sounded.

"However, that is a graver reason I contacted you," Mata Nui said, his tone becoming somber, Alex looking back at the Great Being while his mind continued to understand this new information. The white plane flickered, before changing into a black starry void, with the image of a planet (Eques, a memory said) projected below the two. A few seconds passed, before a flash of light appeared over a small town (Ponyville) next to some tracks.

"When you arrived on this planet, the resulting portal also opened a portal in Ta-Metru's deepest vault, where a copy of every Great Kanohi ever made is held." Mata Nui said. As he said this, dozens of flashes appeared all over map, trails of light falling from these points down to the map. "The rift, while it only lasted for a few seconds, scattered the masks far and wide. It is imperative that you retrieve them before any of the ponies find them, for the Kanohi will wreak havoc if worn by a pony." Alex looked at the Great Being in minor disbelief at this statement. Surely it couldn't be that bad, could it?

"I see that you don't believe me, Alex." Mata Nui said as he looked at Alex, and Alex looked down in embarrassment that the Great Being had noticed his skepticism."Tell me, Alex: Why do you think that the Equestrians aren't compatible with Kanohi?" Mata Nui asked, making Alex again look downwards in contemplation.

"Is it because they have a strong connection to 'magic'?" Alex guessed after several minutes of unsuccessful contemplation, and the Great Being let out a chuckle at his answer.

"No, that is not why," Mata Nui said, his voice becoming somber as he began to explain, "Unlike humans or Matoran, these 'Equestrians' have been directly connected to their inner power from birth and, once they've earned their cutie marks-"

"I'm sorry, but 'cutie marks'?" Alex interrupted, letting a snort at the absurdity of the name.

"I know, it does sound a bit ridiculous, but it's what the marks of their sides are called, which apparently work somewhat like a Kanohi, except that it shows something involving their special talent," Mata Nui answered. Looking back, Alex vaguely remembered seeing a few of these 'cutie marks' on some of the ponies back in the village. The only ones that stood out, though, were a could with a red-blue-yellow lightning bolt coming out of it, a lyre, and something that had to do with bubbles, of all things...

"As I was saying," Mata Nui continued, drawing Alex's attention back to the Great Being, "Once they've earned their 'cutie mark', they are incapable of completely closing their magic off, leaving for a neverending source for the Kanohi to work off of. If one of these 'ponies' put on a Kanohi, it-"

"-Would result in the Kanohi's power activating to its full potential the second it was put on, its power running rampart without any control," Alex finished, his mind quickly connecting the dots, and shuddered at the possible outcomes. While some of the Kanohi could be more easily controlled, such as the Pikari or Calix, if they tried to put on a Suletu, a Felnas, or worse, the Vahi or the Ignika...

"Exactly," Mata Nui said, nodding in affirmation to this conclusion Alex had reached, "That is why I am asking for you to retrieve them." Alex thought about the idea, and understood why Mata Nui asked this of him. However...

"Where do I fit into this?," Alex asked. He wasn't a warrior, a legend. Heck, he wasn't even a real Toa!

"Unfortunately, since both of the Kanohi Olmak that I had direct control over are no longer usable, I can't send over anyone to do the task, leaving only you to do the task," Mata Nui said, and Alex realized that the Great Being was right. The two Olmak in the main universe had been either destroyed or fused with Vezon, so there was no way for any interdimensional travel to happen.

"But I can't remove the masks. Heck, I don't even know where to find the masks." Alex lamented.

"I can help you with that," Mata Nui interjected, and Alex turned to look at him. "A few miles east of your physical position, there is an old castle, broken off from the rest of your world. Within its depths, you will find the Kanohi Elda, which should help you find the remaining Kanohi." Alex nodded at this, figuring that the idea was sound. After all, the Elda was known as the Mask of Detection for good reason.

"As for the Kanohi, should any one of these ponies put one on, you should be able to remove them with a good pull, since any of your Toa forms will bond with them much better than they would with a pony," Mata Nui said. Alex looked skeptical at this, but nodded anyways.

"Oh, and one more thing," Mata Nui said. Alex looked at the Great Being in confusion, and the Great Being lifted his hand...

...Only to poke Alex in the forehead, making Alex stumble back from the metallic finger. "That should help you with your transformation problems," Mata Nui said, chuckling.

"Sir, if I could ask you one last quick," Alex said as he rubbed the spot Mata Nui had poked him, "Did you have the guy who was at the convention send me here? Y'know, the guy dressed up as the Merchant?" It wasn't until he mentioned the person by name did Mata Nui seem to recognize who he was talking about. However, the Great Being, rather than acknowledging that he knew the man, reacted as though he had been prodded with a protdermis dissolving solution, his mask almost seeming to pale at the name.

"No, that was... someone that is far out of my realm of power," Mata Nui said after several minutes of silence, and Alex blinked in surprise at this. Something that even more powerful than Mata Nui, one of the Great Beings? How powerful really was that merchant, Alex thought as he noticed Mata Nui's body begin to shimmer.

"Sir, your body!," Alex pointed out, and Mata Nui looked down to see his now-flickering form start to dissolve, as though it was made of sand and he was in a whirlwind.

"Relax, this is simply you waking up," Mata Nui said as his body began to destabilize more, the surroundings changing back to their featureless state. As Mata Nui's body began to fade away in a golden mist, the Great Being said to Alex, "May the Three Virtues help you with your plight, Toa Alex, and if you need any more help, contact me through meditating when the situation is dire."


Alex blearily opened his eyes, only to wince and shut them as light shone straight onto him. "Well, it's definitely morning," Alex said, sitting up from the spot he had laid on, and sat up only to feel something land on his lap. Looking down, he saw the Kanohi Volitak lying face-down on his jeans.

...Wait, his jeans?

Getting up into a crouch so as he wouldn't hit his head on the top of the hole, Alex examined himself. It seemed as though he had been returned to his organic state, as given by the armor no longer existing. "So it wasn't just a dream," Alex mused aloud as he set the mask down with relief that he wasn't a techno-organic. Looking at the hole's entrance, though, threw his mind into a near panic. StupidstupidSTUPID!!!, he thought, his small hands digging at the top of the hole. Of course he wouldn't be able to lower the ground now that he wasn't an Onu-Toa! As his hands grew bruised and blood began to seep from its tips, Alex fell back. "Well, this certainly sucks," Alex said gloomily, looking down in defeat. Looking to his right, he saw the Kanohi Volitak lying on the ground, its silver form gleaming in the morning sunlight.

Picking up the Kanohi, he looked at the mask before steeling his face. There's no other way around it, He thought, lifting the mask and involuntarily preparing for whatever would happen to him, I've got to become Nuparu again, or I'll die in this hole. As he bit down on the mouthpiece, though, he did not feel pain, as he had expected. Instead, he felt an exhilarating feeling travel through his body, starting from his head and traveling to the soles of his feet. Once he was enveloped in this feeling, a light aura surrounded him and he felt himself... expand, for lack of a better description, his back rising until it pushed against the roof. Once the transformation was complete, as given from the light fading away, he looked down to see his arms and hands were larger and metallic, as they had been beforehand.

"At least the mask still works," Alex said, only stop as he realized that his voice sounded much more-oh, what was the word he was looking for...-gravelly than it usually did. Chuckling at the fact an Earth Toa had a gravelly voice, Alex crawled forwards and slapped his hands to the raised earth. With the method becoming much more familiar to him, it only took a few seconds for his hands to light up in the increasingly-familiar violet aura, and he shifted the earth to a level point before stepping out. Standing to his full height, he looked around, intent on finding where this castle Mata Nui said existed was. It can't be that hard to spot, Alex thought as he looked to his left, before looking to his right. After a few seconds of searching, he realized that the castle wasn't in sight, and let out a huff.

"Best get moving, then," He said, taking a few steps before stopping as he remembered that he was most likely on a watchlist by the Equestrians. Perhaps it's best if I leave the mask off until later, He thought, though he was unsure as to whether the mask would come off. Grabbing the mask with both hands, he pulled at the mask and, after a little effort, the mask came off, his form shrinking until he was his regular self. "Now, time to get going on finding that castle," He said, slipping his mask under his arm before heading in the direction he believed to be east. As Alex began to head eastwards, however, he failed to notice a certain rainbow-haired pegasus fly over him before sweeping back in the direction he had originally come from.


Deep underground, a figure stirred, before turning itself on. Getting up, it looked around before realizing that its current position wasn't that of which had been placed stasis in. However, none of that mattered to the being, said being beginning to dig at the cavern while what remained of its brethren awoke, with only three words telling it what to do:

Clean it all.

Author's Note:

With Alex now discovering his main purpose, he sets off to retrieve his second Kanohi! However, how long does he have until the Mane Six catches up to him?
Not much longer, according to the script.
Give me that! *Snatches up script* Until next time, this is Runic Soul, signing out!