• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 3,990 Views, 123 Comments

A Displaced Mask Hunter - Runic_Soul



There's a saying that, 'No good deed ever goes unpaid'. However, in my case, said 'payment' has me running for my life or facing petrification. Oh, yeah, and there's these masks I have to grab, or who knows what will happen

  • ...
13
 123
 3,990

1 - The Code We All Live By

-Discord's POV-

Discord laughed heartily as several buffalo passed, each one dressed in matching gym outfits and doing a ballerina tip-toe. This is the most fun he literally had centuries!

I love the smell of Chaos in the morning, he thought, his eyes wandering over to a nearby cotton candy cloud. Holding out his hand, he conjured a glass and filled it to the brim with chocolate rain. "Chaos is a wonderful, wonderful thing," he said aloud, lifting his glass to his lips.

"Not as wonderful as friendship!," A familiar voice declared. Discord looked down from his drink, and let out a groan when he saw Twilight Sparkle and the rest of her 'Friends of Harmony' standing in front of him again. He was the Spirit of Chaos, after all, so it bothered him whenever repetition happened.

"Oh, this again?" Discord said, giving them an uninterested look. Lifting up his glass, he drank the container and, after inspecting the chocolate for anything left, threw the drink behind him. An explosion happened from said drink, but he kept an eye on the ponies just to see what they were going to this time.

"That's right. You couldn't break apart our friendship for long," Applejack said, and Discord let out a laugh at this statement. Surely, they didn't think he couldn't stop them again?! He gestured with his paw, and dragged the earth pony in front of him by her necklace.

"Oh, Applejack, don't lie to me. I'm the one who made you a liar." Discord chided her, and gestured with his other hand to telekinetically drag the other four ponies he had corrupted over to him, telling the five of them, "Will you ever learn?". He was surprised, however, when Twilight teleported into the middle of the five before floating back to the ground, letting out a slight gasp that she was able to do so.

"I'll tell you what we've learned Discord. We've learned that friendship isn't always easy. But there's no doubt it's worth fighting for," Twilight announced, her friends joining at her sides.

Discord gagged at this statement, teleporting close to them for exaggeration. Well, then. If they want to prove the power of 'friendship', let them go right ahead, Discord thought. "Fine, go ahead, try and use your little Elements, 'frenemies'," he said, teleporting back to his throne and gestured to the glorious chaos around him. "Just make it quick. I'm missing some excellent chaos here."

"All right, ladies, let's show him what friendship can do!," Twilight said, and the others prepared to try to cast the spell again.

"Wait-wait-wait!," Another voice interrupted, and everyone turned around to see Pinkie drinking chocolate rain from a cloud, making Discord smirk that at least somepony appreciated his chaos. Once she finished her drink and the six ponies tried their pitiful spell again, Discord suddenly felt a familiar, yet unexpected tingle run up his back, making him become ram-rod stiff. For some inexplicable reason, he had just felt something, and that something felt like a fabulous source for all kinds of chaos.

"Hold on a second, girls," he said, stopping the spell with a snap of his fingers and disturbing their concentration, "I'm detecting some marvelous chaos to be had." Snapping his fingers a second time, he redirected the source of said chaos to his side. What came, however, was what could only be described as something akin to the minotaurs, outfitted with an odd armor that Discord had never seen before and laden with an odd assortment of items.

"What in tarnation is that?" Applejack asked, the attention of everyone now on this new figure.

"I'm not sure myself," Discord admitted, swooping down to look at the being more closely. After inspecting the being for a few more seconds, he let the spell dissipate, and the being fell to the ground with a metallic *clang*. A grin grew on his face as the figure began to stir, and he said aloud, "But I'm sure we'll find out soon enough."

-Alex's POV-

Alex let out a grunt as he fell on... some sort of ground. Opening his eyes, he saw what could be best described as a surrealist's fantasy. Various chunks of earth floating in the air, the ground being painted over with everything from plaid to checkerboard. In addition to this, its inhabitants were a mismatch of beings that would seem out of place in a Looney Tunes short: Ballerina bison, a warren of rabbits running around with giraffe legs, pies flying through the air, and - Were those winged pigs he saw flying in the distance?! "What the hell happened here?" Alex asked, standing up to get a better view of his surroundings. For that matter, where was here? The last thing he remembered was the merchant slapping the mask on his face, and then... nothing.

"Why, hello there," A voice that sounded somewhat British said, and Alex looked behind him only to let out a yelp at what was behind him: Like the landscape around him, the creature was made of a hodgepodge of cartoonish animals. With the head of a goat, the horns of a deer and some spiraling horn, the limbs of a bird of prey, a lion, a lizard, and a horse attached to his serpentine body while both types of wings jutted out of his back, his scaly tail coiling behind him in mid-air.

"What in Karzahni are you?!" Alex said, scrambling back from this... chimera, for lack of a better term. Noticing his Aqua Blaster Blade laying on the ground nearby, he grabbed the weapon and held it in front of him. "S-stay back!" He stammered, lifting the blade up and pointing it at the chimera. In doing this, though, revealed something he had not noticed until now. Whereas his arm had once been pale and thin, it was now much more muscular and life-like, unlike the plastic mold it had originally been. However, it was the reflection on the sword that showed the most change.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO ME?!?!?," He shouted, dropping the sword and looking at his body, trying to figure out what exactly happened to him. His outfit, which had previously been just made of remolded plastic, was now entirely made of metal, actual wires and gears visible underneath one robotic limb while his build had become something that could be considered close to a bodybuilder's. The oddest part of this wasn't the muscle growth, though. No, it was the fact that this felt... natural for him to be like this. Each breath had the metallic chest move out and in, as though there was no difference of where the metal ended and where he began.

The chimera laughed at his plight. "Oh, you're going to fit in perfectly. However," He continued, turning to face to his left, "I do have a show to watch. Not that I'm expecting a light show, by any means." At this, Alex looked up from his self-examination and looked in the direction of the chimera's gaze. There, standing on the only circle of 'normal' land were six ponies, or at least what Alex was guessing were ponies. However, they were nothing like the ponies his cousin helped raise: Standing at 4 feet or so, they weren't exactly tall, but the diversity was obvious from even a single glance: Two of them, while cartoony, looked like regular ponies, albeit with one having a poofy pink mane while the other wore a cowboy hat, the two in the air were flying - yes, flying! - with wings too small to reasonably hold them up, and the last two had horns, as if they were unicorns or something. Not only that, but each of them was wearing a form of jewelry. Each one of them was wearing a golden necklace with a carved gem adorning the center: the exception being the purple pony, who wore something along the lines of a crown.

"This ends now, Discord!" The purple unicorn stated, and she - at least, Alex assumed it was a she, as given from the voice - began to close her eyes deeply, her friends following suit. Several seconds passed, which made Alex begin to wonder what they were exactly doing, when an aura began to surround the six. Oh crap, they're going Super Saiyin!, Alex thought. Nonetheless, he began to back up as the necklaces the ponies were wearing began to glow, looking for some place to hide. It was probably best that he did so, too, as one of the ponies' necklaces began to shoot out an odd symbol shaped like a lightning bolt.

"What?," The chimera said in either confusion or disbelief as several additional symbols flew past him. Alex ducked behind a nearby floating chunk of rock (Not that Alex questioned how that the mass of earth was floating at the time) to avoid any stray fire. Alex was barely able to avoid what followed in time, as the six ponies from earlier unleashed what could only be defined as a rainbow of energy, which rose up before coming back down on the one that called himself 'Discord'. Alex drew his metallic arm in front his face as the rainbow light spread outwards. Once the light faded down, he lowered his arms and looked at what had happened.

What had previously been a hodgepodge of a landscape that would make a surrealist artist jealous, it was now something that would fit in the countryside of the 1600s: Wooden houses placed next to dirt roads, but the countryside was otherwise untouched, with massive swaths of grass. However, there was one thing that was minimally changed: The chimera, which had once been made of flesh, was now made of solid marble, his figure laying fallen on the grass beneath. Alex's breath hitched when he saw this. He didn't like the chimera, by any means, but the power used certainly gave him heed as to what could happen. I think that it's best for me to high-tail it out of here, He thought, and began to crept towards a nearby alley, intent on making his escape.

"Hold it right there, pardner!" A voice rang out, and Alex stopped mid-step. Looking behind, he saw the six ponies began to walk over towards him, the orange 'regular' pony pointing straight at him.

"How come you weren't affected by the Elements?" The orange pony asked. Alex looked at them in confusion at this statement. Elements? They didn't look like Toa...

'By 'Elements', I'm guessing that you mean the jewelry you're all wearing?" Alex guessed. This statement caused for the six to become shocked at his statement.

"What?! How can you have not heard of the Elements of Harmony?" The purple-horned pony exclaimed, to which Alex shook his head in reply.

"I'm a Toa." He deadpanned in response (Or at least, I think I'm a Toa, since I seem to have become Nuparu in his Mahri form, Alex thought to himself), "This means that the only elements I know of are Ta, Ga, Le, Onu, Po, Ko, Av, Kra, Vo, Bo, Fe, Ba, Su, De, and Ce." The ponies gave him blank looks at this statement. A gesture from the purple one, and the group of six drew into a huddle. Over a minute passed with their talk, with multiple glances in his direction, before they broke out of their huddle and faced him again.

"Sorry if we scared you earlier," The purple one said, and Alex shook his head at this.

"No, it's alright. To be honest, today has been a bit... stressful for me today," Alex replied. The pony looked relieved for some reason, then continued to speak.

"By the way, we couldn't help but notice that you seemed a bit discombobulated when noticing your ...appearance. I'm guessing that it isn't your preferred attire?," The white one asked, looking a tad disgruntled at him. Alex looked at her with a raised eyebrow for her expression, but nodded.

"Well, if you want, we," The purple pony continued, waving her hoof at the other five, "figured that if we used the Elements of Harmony, we could help fix whatever the problem was!" While she grinned at this idea, Alex's expression became one of disbelief. Did they seriously expect for him to believe that? That, plus the purple one's expression had extreme difficulty hiding that she had no intention of curing him (Little difficulty, that was, in comparison to his compulsive liar of a cousin). Any alternative outcome, though, was currently out of Alex's mental grasp.

"You're telling me the 'cure' would be to use the same rainbow beam that turned that guy to stone on me?" Alex said, gesturing at Discord's petrified self for emphasis, but 'Twilight' shook her head at this.

"Maybe, but that was Discord. It should just reverse the damage if we use it on you," The purple pony answered, but Alex was still dubious as to their intents. They claim that by blasting him him with a petrifying beam, he'd revert to being a human? He just didn't buy it.

Screw it, Alex decided, and answered their question with a single "Nope!". While the ponies were still caught unawares, he raced forwards and grabbed the few items he recognized that belonged to Nuparu's arsenal before dashing towards the forest he had spotted earlier.

"Hey, get back here!," The rainbow-haired pony said, and he heard the group chase after him.

"I AIN'T GOING TO BE NO BIRD STAND!!!" Alex shouted back over his shoulder as he continued to run. As he turned a corner, his mind began to race, trying to figure out how he could get rid of them chasing him. Let's see now, what could Nuparu do again?, He thought, tilting to the right to avoid a tree branch sticking out over the path, Earth manipulation, stealth-based invisibility, is supposedly amphibious... Wait, can I even access my Toa powers?

This question was answered when he rounded the corner, only to trip over a stray root which jutted out of the ground. He let out a yelp as he fell down, the Aqua Blaster Blade sinking up to its hilt into the ground. Just my Makuta-damned luck!, He thought, scrambling back up and grabbing the hilt of the blade to pull it out.

"We've got you now!" A voice shouted, and Alex looked over his shoulder only to see those same six ponies standing behind him. At this point, a crowd had begun to gather around the seven.

"Please stop running," The yellow pony asked, her ears pulled back timidly.

"Yeah, chrome-dome! Drop the sword, or I'll show you what for!," The rainbow-haired pony said, to which Alex snorted at.

"First you say that you want to 'cure' me, now you want to beat me up? Jeez, where's the trust?," Alex retorted, causing for the rainbow-haired pony (Seriously, he needed nicknames for these ponies) to growl. At this, several other horned ponies in the crowd took this as the signal to prepare for combat, many pointing their horns at him. By this point, Alex was more than a tad ticked at the world. I've already had it up to Ko-Koro with the fact that I'm in another dimension and have become techno-organic, but to be beaten down by a mob? Screw it,Alex thought, and let out a growl, causing for the ponies to back up. "Leave," He began to say, gripping on the hilt harder than he had beforehand, the blade starting to slip out as he pulled.

"Me," He continued, the Aqua Blaster Blade beginning to glow violet. As this happened, however, Alex felt something began to surge through his veins. He was unsure as to what it was, but the feeling of it made him feel like he had been in a drowzy have until now, his body nearly shaking from the energy. Gripping the blade harder than he had beforehand, he ripped the Blade straight out of the ground, the nearby ground being infused in the same aura.

"ALONE!!!"

Whether it was intentional or not, Alex triggered his first case of elemental manipulation: As he removed the blade, from the ground in a single pull, the ground on both sides of blade rose, the two portions of the earth curving upwards and outwards into twin stone tsunamis. The ponies around him let out a yell as the ground rose outwards in a tidal wave. The winged ponies easily dodged the earthen tsunami by flying over it, but those who couldn't had to run from the waves, making the flying ponies have to help them. I guess that confirms it, Alex thought as he shouldered the Blade. Taking advantage of this distraction, Alex ran between two buildings and...

...Right into a one-way alley. Alex let out a curse at his misfortune.Well, at least I have Nuparu's earth powers, He thought, raising his blade to force the wall in half when he was struck by an epiphany. Wait, if the earth powers works, then that most likely means..., Focusing on his mask, he imagined the idea of being stealthy: To be invisible to all, to not make a sound while moving and be undetectable to those unaware of his presence. It took a few moments, and Alex was worried that he couldn't access his mask powers (Which he should, considering that Toa gained their elemental powers after they awaken their Kanohi), when he felt a chill run over his body. It was then that he saw his body shift colors until all that was left was a near-indistinguishable blur, as given when Alex looked at his arm. And not a moment too soon, as the rainbow-haired pony swiveled around the corner, only to stop when she saw the 'empty' alley.

"Hey, where'd he go?!," The rainbow-haired pony shouted, looking around for any sign of him. His breath hitched as she drew deeper into the alley in search of him, coming closer and closer to touching him until...

"He must have teleported away," The purple one said as she and the other four ponies joined the rainbow-haired one. Said pony let out a huff, but joined the others on the ground, Alex letting out a breath of relief that he hadn't been found out.

"What should we do about him, girls?" The orange pony asked.

"I say we capture that beast before it hurts any more of us!" The white one exclaimed, and Alex scowled in her direction. 'Beast'? Oh, he definitely wouldn't get along with that pony.

"Ooh, and when we do, we can throw a Welcome-To-Ponyville party for him!," The pink one said.

"What do you think, Twilight?" The orange one asked the purple one, who was obviously the 'leader' at this point.

'Twilight' looked contemplative for a few minutes before turning back to the five. "We better let Celestia know about this once Discord has been brought back to Canterlot. If he can manipulate the earth as easily as Discord, there's no telling what else he could cause," 'Twilight' said, and the other five girls nodded before leaving, conversing as they walked away. Once they were out of earshot, Alex let out a sigh before stepping out of the alleyway.

If this 'Celestia' is a figure of authority, I best find a hiding spot before she arrives, Alex thought as he began to silently run towards the woods. There was not telling how long he had before they came after him again...

Author's Note:

For those wondering as to why Alex was afraid of the , I'd like to clarify on one thing: When Alex first arrived in Equestria, the first thing he saw was a beam of 'magical' light change the landscape and turn someone to stone. With no prior knowledge of the world around him, is it any wonder that he was afraid of the same 'cure beam'?
Rightly said, m'boy!
...Discord, what are you doing in the Author's Notes?
Why, spectating, of course! With my body currently petrified, I needed some way to entertain myself. I just so happened to spot this lovely pocket dimension, and decided to simply enjoy the show. *holds out bag of popcorn* Popcorn?
*Sighs* Two chapters in, and I've already got a headache...