• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 11,371 Views, 312 Comments

Twilight's Birthday - Gallifrey



Twilight's birthday is coming up and Luna is eager to show her a good time in Canterlot's bars.

  • ...
24
 312
 11,371

Organisation

Twilight's Birthday

by Gallifrey
edited by Reevsie and shad0wstalker

Chapter One
Organisation

A cloudless and moonless November night hung over Equestria, the vast swathes of land were silent and frozen with a thick layer of fragile frost, and illuminated only by cold starlight. This was by far the coldest night of the winter so far and the majority of the country's ponies were huddled under warm dense blankets to shield their flanks from the bite of winter, ideally with a fuzzy hot water bottle and a flask of cocoa.

However, one particular pony lay wide awake in her bed, buried under satin covers. Normally, the Princess of the Night would be sharing the burden of ruling Equestria with her alabaster sister, but tonight, after much pleading and badgering, she'd managed to get the night off.

Under candlelight, Luna was reading The Legend of the Silver Arrow, a well read fantasy novel she was very fond of. Casually flicking a dog eared page with her magic, she leaned over to her bedside table to retrieve her bowl of strawberry ice cream. The alicorn soon discovered it was not the wisest idea to try to read and eat ice cream at the same time, especially when both were suspended by tenuous magic. She set her book down for a moment and enjoyed her treat instead. She sat idly, looking around her midnight blue room for something interesting to focus her attentions on.
The room was a simple affair, oval shaped and large, featuring a jet black bed, cupboards full of accumulated possessions and shelves with many a curious celestial instrument, such as her globe of the Moon or her mysterious glass spheres, glowing faintly with an alien light.
Luna's eyes had drifted over the other-worldly light source, though she looked, she didn't see; her eyes were somewhat vacant as she became lost in her thoughts.

I do like pudding, she mused as she slowly masticated, yes... masticated... who doesn't like pudding after all? I wonder whether if... oh what's her name again... Pinkie Pie! Yes, I wonder if she enjoys pudding as much as I? I doubt it really, but she could certainly contend... The Princess eagerly had another spoonful and it trickled down her cheek slightly without her noticing. I should put more effort into getting to know Twilight's friends if I can't even remember their names well.

"Wait, hang on," she said aloud, "what date is it?"

She levitated one of the glass orbs towards her, looked into its glowing depths for a moment, then tapped it smartly with a hoof. She drew an ear to the ball and listened to the clear note it produced.

"29th," she murmured, putting it back where it belonged, "which means it's Twilight's birthday soon." She shut her eyes in thought, "Oh my, only four days away!"

------------

The faithful student gave her head a little shake, trying to give her brain at least a semblance of coherent thought.

I think... I think I may have overdone it...

Twilight Sparkle was lying on her side in her bed, with a fluffy, purple hot water bottle warming her belly in a most delightful fashion. Her eyelids felt as heavy as a thousand suns, and were drooping more and more with every passing minute. Her head was beginning to protest against the obsessive studying she had subjected it to all day, mind throbbing painfully with every pulse of her heart.

"I guess I can leave Equestrian Herbal Medicines for another time," she said, yawning widely, looking at the clock on the wall. Half past two.
"Oh goodness!" she exclaimed, yawning again, "I've lost track of time, it's way way past my bedtime! I didn't even write to the Princess tonight, urgh!"

Her eyes widened manically as panic began to descend upon her, then she caught herself.

No. Remember what happened that last time you did that...

She cast her mind back to that eventful day, the day when her Smarty Pants doll 'mysteriously' disappeared. Mysterious in that although Twilight knew exactly who was in careful possession of the doll, she was tactful enough not to embarrass him by bringing it up. She knew it was in safe hooves with Big Macintosh.
She shook her head again, stopping her train of thought abruptly.

"Okay, I need sleep. I have lots to do tomorrow, as usual. I'll just have to add writing to the Princess to the list, somehow."

She was due to be up early the next morning to visit Applejack, who was holding a 'Let's help Twilight organise her birthday party so that she doesn't have another mental breakdown' meeting, or LHTOHBPSTSDHAMB for short.
With many a happy thought of things she would like to do, she closed her eyes and drifted to sleep.

------------

In what seemed like no time at all, she woke abruptly from dreamless sleep. A small claw was tentatively prodding her cheek.

"Twilight, it's time to get up," said Spike.

"Mrrrrrhmmm, five more minutes..." she said sleepily.

"But Twilight, you might be late-"

"Just five, pleeeaaaase?"

"Hmmm, okay, but if you're late, don't blame me."

"I won't..."

------------

"Spike, why did you let me sleep in?" asked Twilight for the fifth time. Spike's neck was beginning to hurt as he snapped it this way and that due to Twilight rushing around him.

"I told you, I woke you up and you went back to sleep!"

"That doesn't sound like me, are you sure?" she said suspiciously as she dashed past him.

"Yes, Twilight I am- ouch," he said as his neck twinged, "what are you even doing?"

"I am, um, g-getting ready?" She realised she was doing all this running around, without actually getting anything done.

"You're making everything more complicated than it need be. Again. You did everything that was necessary ten minutes ago now."

"Hang on, let me check my list."

She levitated a scroll of parchment over and scrutinised it.

List of things to do today:
Make list (check)

Do morning exercises (check)

Shower (check)

Eat breakfast (check)

Make sure Spike has cleaned his teeth (check)

Make sure I have cleaned my own teeth (check)

Make bed (check)

Fluff pillows (check)

Water the Fuchsia regia on the window sill (check)

Check to see if we have custard for this evening's dessert (check) Edit: we don't.

Dress warmly, it's freezing outside.

Go to Applejack's for LHTOHBPSTSDHAMB

Write to Princess Celestia

Edit: Get some custard for tonight.

Twilight's eyes stopped darting over the paper and instead looked over her shoulder to her bare purple back and hooves.

"Well, I still haven't dressed warmly it seems, I should probably do something about that."

"You think?" said Spike, as Twilight flew up the stairs to her bedroom.

The lavender mare opened a drawer with her hooves and searched in the left, where she kept her winter clothes. She retrieved a fluffy, dark blue scarf, light blue saddle and yellow boots. The scarf and boots were a simple affair to put on, but she struggled with the saddle, as usual and ended up rolling around on the floor in a desperate attempt to strap it to her back.
From downstairs, Spike wondered what all the banging and exclamations were about, he looked up to the ceiling.

"Oh for pony's sake!" he heard a muffled yell.

"What in Equestria is she doing?" the dragon muttered to himself. With a sigh, he got up to investigate. At the top of the stairs, he could see Twilight's flank sticking out of her bedroom door. Her hooves were flailing about as she rolled around in increasing frustration, snorts of impatience occasionally punctuating the general struggle.

"Uh, Twi?"

Her body froze, then her behind zoomed back into her room, and her head stuck out, wearing an embarrassed smile.

"Aha, Spike... Yes?"

"Do you, er, need a hand with that saddle?"

"No, no, I'm fine."

Spike simply looked at her.

"Okay," she said, folding.

"Good, now hold still a sec."

Within ten seconds, the dragon had secured the saddle to Twilight's body.

"Thanks Spike, I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'd be a little colder?"

"Oh, Spike you know you're a lot more important than that! You're my number one assistant after all," she said affectionately, nuzzling him.

"Thanks Twilight, I don't know where I'd be without you either."

The purple mare smiled warmly at him, then looked around.

"Now you'll be fine running the library while I'm out, won't you?"

"Yes Twilight," said Spike monotonously, she asked this every time she went out.

"Good, have a great day Spike, I'll be back later."

"Okie doke, you too Twilight!"

I wonder if she'll ever think to use magic to put on that saddle...

------------

The journey to Sweet Apple Acres was a treacherous one for poor Twilight Sparkle. Slipping and sliding on hard ice and cold frost the entire journey, and occasionally falling on her flanks, much to her annoyance and soreness. She arrived at the farm with a slight limp and a bruise just below one of her cutie marks; thankfully hidden by her purple coat.
The icicles that hung off Applejack's house glistened and sparkled in the early morning light, making it shimmer as if somepony had poured glitter all over it. Twilight stood, upright this time, admiring it for a little while.
She heard a noise behind her.

"Ooof!"

Rarity was struggling as much as Twilight to stay upright on the slippery ground.

"Oh, Rarity, are you okay?" asked Twilight in concern, gingerly walking up to her fellow unicorn.

"Good morning Twilight," said the white unicorn briskly, getting slowly to her hooves, "I'm fine, thank you. How are you today?"

"I'm good, thanks. You having trouble on the ice too?"

"Yes indeed, I don't like this weather. Not only does it make me fall over, but this cold, dry air is a nightmare for my mane!"

"Is it? I never noticed myself."

"You must be one of the lucky ones then. My hair always dries up."

They were interrupted by a bouncing sound behind them. Pinkie Pie had arrived.

"Hey Twilight, hey Rares, what'cha doing?" she bubbled.

"What exactly are we doing?" asked Rarity.

"Exchanging greetings of course," said Twilight happily.

"Outside? That's a super idea!" said Pinkie, jumping up and down excitedly, completely unphased by the ice.

"How in Equestria are you doing that?" asked Rarity incredulously.

"Earth ponies have a great sense of balance," said Twilight and Pinkie simultaneously.

"We don't find ice and snow super slippery like unicorns and pegasi do."

"Well, I didn't know that," said the white mare, "can we go inside now? I'm getting rather chilly out here."

-----------

Twilight knocked on Applejack's door, wobbling with only three hooves instead of four to hold her up. The orange cowpony opened the door to greet them.

"Howdy gals, come on in! Rainbow and Fluttershy are already here."

"S'up!" came Rainbow's scratchy voice from inside the house, followed by a faint mumble that was barely audible.

The four ponies, led by Applejack, made their way into the living room.
It was a pleasant and cosy affair, a merrily crackling fire was burning away, suffusing the room in a warm, orange glow.
Fluttershy was sitting demurely on a squashy armchair, whilst Rainbow Dash was lounged over an entire sofa close to the fire, eyes closed, and basking in its heat as if it were Celestia's Sun itself.

"Good morning girls," said Fluttershy.

"S'up?" said Rainbow again, eyes still closed.

Pinkie Pie leapt into the remaining armchair, leaving Twilight, Rarity and Applejack with nowhere to sit. The orange mare walked up to Rainbow and prodded her in the stomach, making the pegasus flinch in surprise.

"What?"

"Quit hogging the sofa RD."

"Huh? Oh, right, sorry guys."

"S'alright sugar cube," said Applejack, sitting next to her, Twilight joining after. Rarity sat on a cushion on the floor, as a good lady should.

Applejack handed everypony tea or coffee, Pinkie insisted on both mixed together. After giving the pink party pony a few mildly concerned looks along with her drink, she joined Rainbow and Twilight on the sofa.

"So," she began, "y'all know why we're here today."

Everypony's eyes turned towards Twilight, who blushed slightly.

"I-I don't want to make too much of a fuss," said the purple pony, "just a small party round the library will be fine."

"Don't be ridiculous darling!" exclaimed Rarity. "This is your twenty-first birthday, it should be a special occasion."

"Rarity's right," chirped Pinkie, "you need a super duper funerrific party to celebrate!"

"B-but, I'll fall behind in my studies-"

"C'mon Twi, you could do with letting yer hair down," said Applejack.

"Well, if you insist. Where?"

Everyone sat in silence while they thought.

"There is always Canterlot," said Fluttershy timidly.

"Hey yeah, that's an idea," said Pinkie, "there's loads of fun clubs and bars and things."

The others nodded in agreement, except one. Rainbow was quietly snoozing in her place, apparently having fallen asleep while they were thinking. Drool was slowly dripping from her mouth and Applejack looked interestedly at a hoof, because that's where it had landed. Applejack wiped her hoof clean and jabbed Rainbow in the ribs, jerking her awake.

"I'm up, I'm up! What're we on about?"

"Do you think Canterlot would be a good place to celebrate my birthday?" asked Twilight.

"Yeah, sounds great actually, it's been ages since I went out in Canterlot."

"Excellent, now my birthday is in four days, is everypony free that night?"

They all nodded in unison.

"I'm also going to write to the Princess later, should I add a bit asking if we can visit the Castle beforehand in the afternoon? It would be nice to see her and Luna on my birthday."

"That's a good idea, Twi," said Applejack, "you should invite them out too ya know."

Twilight giggled at the suggestion.

"I doubt Princess Celestia would want to go out to bars, Applejack. Luna might though, I'll ask."

"Then are we all done?" asked the orange mare.

"It certainly looks like it," quipped Rarity.

"Then who wants apple pie? Straight from t'oven?"

"Me!" came five eager voices at once.