• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 12,196 Views, 274 Comments

An Apple Will Sparkle - Autum Breeze



Apples always have a Cutie Mark with some kind of apple reference. Those who don't, do not work on the farms. Apple Bloom is one such Apple

  • ...
28
 274
 12,196

Chapter 3

Chapter 3


___________________________________________________________

“Twilight, Ah’m tellin’ ya,” Applejack said as she knocked on the door to Carrot Top’s house, “Apple Bloom’s here and ya’ll are gonna feel right dumb when ya learn it was all a misunderstandin’.”

“I highly doubt that,” Twilight replied coldly.

Applejack couldn’t help shivering. After Twilight said she’d be coming to see Apple Bloom with her, Twilight had yanked her up in her magic and carried AJ along in the air.

Now, AJ hadn’t being carried in magic about as much as Rainbow did under normal circumstances, this time, however, she felt fear for it. She’d felt the magic holding her very tightly. She’d been terrified that Twilight might accidentally crush her. She’d been able to tell Twilight was restraining herself from doing so, and it had terrified her.

She was thankful when they’d arrived and now they could sort this whole thing out once and for all. She wouldn’t hold it against the Alicorn, she’d misunderstood and, being the Princess of Friendship and one who cares so much for Apple Bloom, her reactions were understandable, even if misguided.


They waited a few moments as the sounds of somepony moving around inside were hear, before the door opened to reveal a unicorn stallion with a grey coat, purple mane and tail, green eyes and an unrolled scroll for a Cutie Mark.

He blinked, looking very surprised. “Applejack?” Then he saw the fuming Alicorn standing next to her, his face blanching as he made a quick bow. “P-Princess Twilight. Um... m-might I ask why you’ve come here this morning?”

“Uh, mornin’, Written Script,” Applejack said, not sure how to react to that. Though she supposed seeing a fuming princess on one’s doorstep would be a fright. “Guessin’ yer wife’s at the market?”

He nodded, still looking a little shaken as he continued to bow to the Alicorn.

Applejack closed her eyes. “Okay, okay. Listen, can Ah speak with Apple Bloom?”

At this, Script stood, looking slightly puzzled. “Um, what do you mean?”

That reaction was not quite what she’d been hoping for and she suddenly felt Twilight’s eyes boaring into her. She gulped.

“Listen, Ah know she must’a stayed home in order ta get used t’ her new livin’ arrangements, but Ah need t’ see her. Twi thinks she found her outside last night. Could ya set the record straight?”

The stronger confusion on his face only made Applejack start to sweat as she thought about what Twilight had told her. Had Granny really kicked Apple Bloom out last night, like Twi said she'd told her? Would she really have left her in front of an orphanage? She didn’t like to think about it, but the thoughts came unbidden, regardless.

“Why don’t you talk to her, then?” Script asked, glancing between Twilight and Applejack, fear entering his eyes when they fell on the princess before shooting back to the Earth Pony. “She’s your sister.”

Applejack gulped. “N-now, Script,” she said shakily, “Ah didn’t see her headin’ t’ school with Dinky, so she must’a stayed behind, right?”

He cocked his head. “Well, wouldn’t you know that better than me?”

Applejack openly began sweating. “Sc-Script, p-please tell me Granny brought her over here this mornin’?”

His confusion only seemed to rise at that. “Um... why?”

“Apple Bloom didn’t get an apple Cutie Mark,” Twilight answered, her voice devoid of emotion, causing the other two to shiver.

Script’s eyes widened when he realized what she’d said and he looked to Applejack sadly. “I’m sorry to hear that, AJ. So, are you hear to ask if we’ll let her live with us? She’s family, so we wouldn’t turn her away and I’m sure Dinky would be happy to live with her cousin.”

Applejack’s gut dropped. “Y-ya... ya mean ya didn’ know ’bout this til now?”

He nodded slowly. “Why wouldn’t I?”

She gulped, her legs starting to shake. “C-cos Granny brought her over this mornin’ an’ explained it to ya already?” she almost begged.

He shook his head. “Sorry, AJ. I haven’t seen Granny since yesterday afternoon at the market. This is the first I’ve heard of it.”

Applejack’s legs almost gave out under her as what he said and its implications punched her in the guts. Twilight hadn’t misunderstood. She really had found Apple Bloom in the rain, Apple Bloom really had told her she’d been abandoned...

Wait. Why an orphanage?

Before Twilight could react, Applejack bolted back towards the farm, praying one thing and one thing only and hoping she was right.

___________________________________________________________

Applejack shot inside, heading for the medicine cabinet. Just as she opened it and began rummaging inside, Twilight appeared next to her in a flash of light.

“Believe me now?” her words were cold and filled with restrained fury.

“Come on,” she whispered, her search becoming frantic. “Please don’t let it be— Ah ha!” she cried, pulling out a small bottle and holding it up triumphantly.

Twilight’s expression didn’t change. “And what is that?”

“Granny’s medication,” Applejack said, starting to open the bottle. “She’s old, Twi. One’a the oldest members o’ the family alive and her mind ain’t quite what it once was. She needs these t’ keep her mind in check.”

Twilight’s expression softened the tiniest bit with curiosity. “Why hasn’t she just gone for the magical operation? Those are permanent.”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Tradition, Twi. She’ll back off and take these, but refuses those fancy shmancy magical operations. Ya know how stubborn she is.”

“Yes,” Twilight said, somewhat seeming to forget her anger as she began to ponder. Then her anger returned, quick as a flash. “Wait. Are you going to tell me this medication Granny’s meant to take could be the problem? That’s a bit convenient, Applejack?”

“Twi, Ah promise, Bloom was meant t’ go live with Carrot and Script; Ah was gonna take her there mahself. Ah don’t know why Granny would—” the lid finally popped off and Applejack tipped it, expecting to spill a few tablets onto her open hoof.

What she saw made her eyes widen in horror and annoyance at the same time. Instead of the purple tablets she’d seen Granny taking for the last couple years, she saw three bonbons, unwrapped.

Twilight’s anger was now mixed with confusion. “Granny’s medication is bonbons?”

“That little weasel,” Applejack’s eyes narrowed. “Ah was wonderin’ where she was gettin’ all them sweets. She’s in for it this time.” She looked upstairs angrily. “Apple Bloom, get down here! Ya’ll know better than t’ hide yer candy in Granny’s medicine cabinet. Ya’ll realize what ya coulda done, don’t ya?”

“Applejack,” she turned to see Twilight looking at her, deadpanned. “Apple Bloom isn’t here, remember?”

Applejack blinked, before her face lost a bit of colour. She’d defaulted to that thought pattern because it was common when Bloom caused mischief. But... if Bloom had hidden some of her secret candy in Granny’s...

“Sweet... Celestia...” she whispered, dropping the bottle, it clattering to the floor, spilling the remaining bonbons within it.

“Applejack?” Granny’s voice called from the living room. “What was that noise?”

Said mare bound into the living room, her eyes wide with horror. “Granny, when was the last time ya got yer medication replaced?

The green mare blinked at her, raising an eyebrow in confusion. “Applejack, Ah ain’t been handling that since ya started getting me them sweet tastin’ ones. Far better than those other ones Ah’d alway get.” She snorted. “Ah don’ know who came up with the notion that we old folk enjoy the taste o’ prunes so much. Dang things taste nasty.”

Applejack’s heart beat in her chest. “Granny, where’d ya take Apple Bloom?!” she begged as she stared at the elderly mare.

Granny looked to her granddaughter, a slight frown etching her wrinkled face. “Took her? What in tarnation are ya’ goin on about? Ah jus’ got back fr’m mah visit with Apple Rose. What’s this about my little Bloom?”

Applejack faltered. “What? Granny, ya were here last night. Ya got back fr’m Apple Rose's yesterday mornin’, remember?!”

Granny Smith scoffed. “Mah memory ain’t what it used ta be, but Ah’m pretty sure Ah’d remember comin’ home early.”

“But ya were! Ya were the one that told us burnt apples—?”

She stopped as it caught up with her. Granny hadn’t been taking her medication since Bloom had switched them with candy. How long had that been going on? She couldn’t even remember the last time Granny said she was off to buy medication since shortly after they visited Golden...

Her legs gave out and she flopped to the floor. No. Please, Celestia, no.

Twilight’s horn glowed and Applejack felt herself being lifted and turned around til she was looking the Alicorn in the eyes. “Well?”

Applejack felt the world caving in around her. Her baby sister... what must she be feeling? Left out in the rain, at night, in front of an orphanage?

Tears welled in the farm pony’s eyes as she stared into the cold ones of her friend. “Ah... Ah gotta see her. Ah gotta explain—”

“No.”

That one, two letter word stopped her, her eyes staring into those of her friend with hurt and confusion. “What?”

Twilight just glared back at her. “Do you really think Apple Bloom will want to even see you right now, let alone talk to you?” there was a coldness, yet a pained sound to her voice. “She’s hurt, Applejack. Hurt so, so badly. She feels like you just abandoned her.”

“But, Ah didn’t—”

She doesn’t know that,” Twilight cut her off. “And I’m pretty sure, even when I tell her, she’s still going to feel hurt.” Her magic released Applejack, who dropped to the floor with a thud, before the Alicorn turned to leave. “I’ll arrange for Granny to get the best unicorn doctors to give her the operation.”

“Now, Twilight, that’s mighty kind o’ ya, but Ah don’t need—” the elderly mare began softly.

“Oh, yes, you do!” Twilight snapped, whipping her head to glare at Granny Smith, who faltered and squirmed back under the harsh expression. “You went and caused traumatic harm to your youngest granddaughter, all because you refused the operation to help you, going instead for the meds because you’re stubborn! Well, I’m ordering you, Granny Smith Apple, as a princess of Equestria, have the operation, or else, so help me, I will do everything in my power to make sure you never come within ten metres of Apple Bloom ever again!”

With that, the lavender mare stomped out of the room, slamming the front door behind her a few moments later, leaving the farm house in an eerie silence.

___________________________________________________________

“I wonder why Twilight told Miss Cheerilee that Apple Bloom wasn’t coming to school today,” Sweetie Belle said as she, Scootaloo and Dinky all sat together by a tree, eating their lunches.

It had been an unusual school day surprise that was for sure. They’d been studying maths quietly, when there had been a knock on the door. When Miss Cheerilee had answered it, Twilight had been on the other side. She’d spoken with Miss Cheerilee outside the classroom for a few moments, before their teacher had returned.

When asked what the princess had spoken to her about, she’d said that Twilight had come to say that Apple Bloom wasn’t going to be in school today and that was all.

“Maybe she’s sick?” Dinky suggested. She hadn’t seen her cousin that morning as she’d past Sweet Apple Acres, so her being sick seemed likely to the Apple unicorn.

“More like embarrassed to be seen at all.”

All three groaned, turning around as a pair of fillies not one of them liked approached.

“Can you go even one day without insulting somepony?” Scootaloo asked Diamond Tiara as she and her ever-present cohort stopped by them.

Tiara gave a gasp. “Insulting? I’ve never insulted anypony. I merely just say it how it is.”

The three fillies stood up, Dinky levitating their stuff and moved to walk away.

“What’s the matter?” Silver Spoon asked in a mockingly worried tone. “Does the truth hurt, Blank Flanks?”

“Sometimes, I really wish Princess Celestia would banish them to the moon,” Scootaloo grumbled as they walked away with the sound of the two fillies laughter following them. “Then maybe we could have some peace around here.”

“I know they’re annoying and mean, but that’s a bit harsh, Scoots,” Sweetie Belle said, glancing over her shoulder and scowling at the cruel fillies. “Though it would be nice if something could shut them up for once.”

“Hey,” Dinky began as they took seats near the playground, “do you think we should asked Twilight about it after school?”

“Seeing as she’s not an Apple, I don’t see why, but...” Scootaloo scratched her chin in thought, “then again, I don’t see why not either. It’d probably be smarter to ask her big sister, but I suppose Twilight must know if she came.”

The three nodded, deciding that, after school, they’d go and ask Twilight why she had been the one to tell Miss Cheerilee about Apple Bloom not coming to school instead of one of the Earth Pony’s family.

Author's Note:

there's chapter three.

Now maybe this doesn't seem like much, but i really need to get a bunch of other fics out of my head, or else other fics suffer for it do to my not being able to properly focus, so this will not get another update for a while

Hope you liked this and it helps to explain things a bit better.

Edit 10/5/2018: Decided to change things up a bit. I realized, with the way i'd written this, i'd backed myself into a corner i couldn't get out of, so i'm going with a slightly different approach from here on that will make more sense.

So, does Granny really not remember taking Bloom to the orphanage because she hasn't been taking her medication, or is there something else at play here? Look forward to finding out... hopefully before August:twilightsheepish:

Til next time, later everypony