• Published 8th Mar 2015
  • 1,654 Views, 138 Comments

The Napoleons: The Confessions & Revelations Of The Greatest Mafia Family - Bluecatcinema



The memoirs of Grimoire Napoleon, chronicling the history of his life, and the life of his brothers.

  • ...
8
 138
 1,654

A Simple Kind Of Stallion

'If you are reading this... then I am probably dead. Forgive me if any of this seems hard to read, because Prancingson's had been a pain in my flank this last month. But I figure I would endeavour to give you, the readers, one last chapter before I go...'

'...Despite the dangerous, risk-filled life I led for so many years, I never really gave thought as to how I would die. Sure, there are lots of ends that I wouldn't exactly call "great deaths" Choking on some food, for example, or accidentally falling out of my own bedroom window, or drowning in a tub of pudding. Whenever the thought crossed my mind, I held the hope that I would die a grand death, facing off against some great, insurmountable foe, for the glory of the mafia... that was the mobster's dream. A dream that my grandfather, my father, my many uncles and aunts, and my brothers, and yours truly strived for... but as of now, the best way to go would be to die so that the ones you love may live. Pa knowingly went into his fight with Killsquad knowing he would die, but he didn't let that stop him... in fact, he thought he took Killsquad with him... but alas, he is alive... and now, he wants to destroy us all. Well, I am going to finish this. I will settle things with Killsquad, one way or another...'

Chapter Thirty-Four: A Simple Kind Of Stallion

The family was left in a panic, as Killsquad's ultimatum loomed over their heads.

"What are we gonna do?" Sonny quivered. "What are we gonna do?!"

"Well, we can't just give Grim to Killsquad, that's for sure!" Murray said firmly.

"Maybe we should." Kamikaze suggested. "I mean, Killsquad is out to kill us all."

"And he's made it clear he's not gonna stop." Zebediah added.

"Crog selia vor tallkus." Kong declared. "Begra gou henna."

"What did he say?" Slot asked.

"I got it." Kamikaze declared.

"He does?" Lars frowned.

"'When you get right down to it, we'd be sacrificing one life for many.'" Kamikaze translated. "'It just might be worth it.'"

"And you really think Killsquad will keep his word?" Salt snorted. "Guess again."

"We've dealt with that scumbag before." Slot snarled. "He doesn't make deals, or keep his word."

"This is probably just his way of getting rid of Grim first." Vinny declared.

"A sound strategy." Lars admitted. "Without Grimoire to lead us, we would be at a serious disadvantage."

"Which is exactly why we won't do it!" Dusty said firmly. "This family sticks together!"

"Well put, darling." Blueblood nodded.

"One thing I learned during my time as Mayor; Never negotiate with terrorists." May said firmly.

"Without the head of this family, the body will die." Redheart stated.

"And we can't let that happen." Berry agreed.

"Then what should we do?" Lyra asked. "We can't hide out for the rest of our lives!"

"Maybe the Royal Guard or some other authority can find Killsquad." Bon-Bon suggested.

"Yeah, because the bad guys are always so easy to find." Daring snorted.

"She's got a point." Vinyl noted. "He's been in hiding all this time. I doubt he'll be caught anytime soon."

"So basically, it's hopeless then?" Octavia asked.

"That it would seem." Zecora admitted. "This is like some terrible dream."

Suddenly, Sid was coming to from fainting.

"Oh... what a bad dream..." Sid murmured. "I was dreaming that there was this guy who was out to kill us, and I got so scared that I fainted and wet myself."

"Sorry, sunshine." Crowe kneeled near him. "This is no dream..." He then sniffed. "And you owe the Napoleons some dry cleaning."

"Oh, great." Sid groaned. "So we're still pretty much dead!"

"He's got a point there." Sonny admitted.

"So does a knife." Slot snorted. "Doesn't mean I'll be agreeing with it."

"Times like these almost make me wish I was still a backstabbing sellout..." Zebediah cringed. "But even if I was, I doubt it'd help..."

"So now what?" Kamikaze asked. "We just sit around, waiting to die?"

"Zeewaila." Kong declared.

"Yeah, without a slop bucket." Kamikaze agreed.

"Everypony calm down." Crowe declared. "We'll figure a way out of this."

"Yeah." Murray nodded. "We always do."

"And we are the best career criminals around." Lars noted.

"If anypony can get out of this, it's us." Salt declared.

"That's the spirit!" Vinny nodded. "We're not beat yet!"

"We'll get out of this somehow." Caboose beamed. "Right, Grim?"

Grimiore was quiet and emotionless, his Prancingson's causing him to stare off into space.

"Hey, Grim!" Crowe slapped him. "Get your head into the game! We need all heads on straight if we are ever going to survive!"

"It is in the game!" Grimoire said defensively. "I was just... thinking, that's all!"

"Well try to think a little faster!" Crowe yelled. "Our lives are on the line, remember?"

"Maybe we should do something to take our minds off things." Bon-Bon suggested.

"I agree." Zecora nodded. "Perhaps I should go make some tea."

"Please, let me." Dusty told her. "You should rest up."

"She's right." Redheart nodded. "With everything that's been going on, you can't exert yourself. For the foal's sake."

"As you wish." Zecora sighed. "I shall do the sleep without fish."

As Zecora walked away, Vinyl and Octavia followed.

"We'll keep an eye on her." Vinyl declared.

"Just in case." Octavia added.

"I'll join you." May suggested.

"Come, my love." Blueblood told Dusty. "We have tea to make."

"I'd like a shot of whisky in mine." Berry sighed.

"I think I'll get some baking done." Sid declared.

"Seriously?" Daring asked.

"I bake when I'm nervous!" Sid said defensively. "And I am really nervous!"

"As for the rest of us, I suggest we put our heads together and come up with a plan." Lars declared.

"Good thinking." Grimoire nodded. "Let's get to it."

"Gladly." Crowe nodded.

"It's better than doing nothing, at least..." Kamikaze shrugged.

The brothers and the dons were up late into the night, trying to formulate some of a plan. Eventually, they decided to call it a night, and get some sleep.

The next morning, they awoke for some breakfast, only to find Grimoire hadn't joined them.

"Hey Zecora, where's Grim?" Murray asked. "Is he still in bed?"

"He is not, I fear." Zecora admitted. "I thought he was down here."

"But if he's not down here, then where- Oh, no..." Lars frowned.

"You don't think he's...?" Vinny asked.

The brothers searched all the over the mansion, finding no sign of Grimoire.

"He's gone!" Salt yelled.

"And so is that radio that was in the study yesterday." Sonny noted. "I found a back-up in the basement. Maybe we can get in contact with him."

"Let's try it." Slot nodded.

Lars twisted the dial, trying to reach Grimoire.

"Come in, Grim." He declared. "Do you read?"

"...Yeah, I read." Grimoire's voice replied. "Now kindly get off the line."

"You're going to give yourself up to Killsquad, aren't you?" Murray snarled.

"You could say that." Grimoire answered.

"Are you totally nuts?!" Slot snarled. "You can't just walk up to that whackjob and let him kill ya!"

"I can and I will." Grimoire insisted. "My mind's made up."

"Seriously, Grim?" Crowe asked.

"Yeah, I thought you were smarter than this." Kamikaze snorted.

"Frolak!" Kong yelled.

"Kong does too." Kamikaze noted.

"Don't be stupid, Grim!" Zebediah yelled.

"You can't do this!" Sid yelled.

"Actually, I do." Grimoire retorted.

"But... why?" Caboose whimpered.

"If I don't do this, then eventually, Killsquad's goons will kill us all." Grimoire declared. "It's better if I'm the only one who has to die."

"Like buck it is!" Vinny yelled.

"We won't let you do this!" Salt added.

"Please don't try and stop me." Grimoire pleaded. "I have to do this. Think of it as one last good thing I can do for his family..."

"What's he talking about?" Kamikaze asked.

"No clue." Zebediah admitted.

"Gla." Kong shrugged.

"Grim, why are you doing this?" Crowe asked. "Why are you throwing your life away?"

"Because I care about you all." Grimoire retorted. "I won't let Killsquad be the death of you. Not if I can help it. This is Grimoire, signing off."

Grimoire broke the connection, static flowing through the speaker.

Seconds later, Dusty and Zecora, entered the room.

"What's going on?" Dusty asked. "Did you find dad?"

"In a matter of speaking." Lars admitted.

"Then do not be meek." Zecora told him. "Where is he, speak!"

"He's... gone off to face Killsquad." Murray declared.

"No!" Dusty yelled.

"By himself?" Zecora gasped. "That is not good for his health!"

"Yeah, no kiddin'." Slot snorted.

"So what are we standing around for?" Vinny asked. "Let's get out there and help him!"

"That's what Napoleons do." Murray smiled, as the brothers made to leave.

"Hold it right there." Crowe stepped in front of them.

"Don't try and stop us, Crowe!" Slot yelled.

"Yeah." Caboose added. "We're going to help our brother!"

"And throw yourselves onto the fire?" Crowe asked.

"If we must!" Lars nodded.

"You go after him now, and you'll ruin everything." Crowe growled. "Don't you see? He's got a plan!"

"...You think so?" Sonny asked.

"Of course." Crowe lied. "Do you really think he'd be going alone if he didn't?"

"I guess not." Salt shrugged.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Murray smiled. "Grim's got a plan!"

"Sure he does." Crowe nodded. 'I hope you've got a plan, Grim...' He thought.

Some time later, Grimoire (wearing a heavy black jacket) reached the warehouse. Two musclebound stallions were guarding the entrance.

"I believe I'm expected." Grimoire said drily.

Silently, the brutes opened the doors. Grimoire entered, the two thugs closing the door behind him.

As he walked through the dark innards of the warehouse, Grimoire could help but reflect on everything.

'So, this is it.' He thought. 'I'm going to die.'

Grimoire's life slowly flashed before his eyes, from his carefree youth, with all the fun times he had with his brothers, including Anarchy. All those beautiful moments when they would play together, eat together, and enjoy life together. Then followed his memories of first meeting Sandy. Though their relationship had a rocky start, their love had blossomed into something wonderful, with Dusty being the fruit of that love...

Then came Clyde's death, and Grimoire's ascension into donhood. There was once a time when he had felt he would never take on the position, that he wasn't suited for it. But he was wrong; He had made an excellent don, leading their family into prosperity.

After Sandy's tragic passing, Grimoire put his all into raising his daughter with his brothers, watching her grow up to become a beautiful mare, marry a prince, and provide him with grandfoals.

Then he found love once more with Zecora, and learned that he was going to be a father again. Just the thought put a smile on his face.

Soon, it all came back, as memories of all the time he spent with his family flooded into his disease-addled mind. All he could think of was the smiling faces of everyone he loved... Sandy... Zecora... Dusty... Caboose, Murray, Sonny, Salt, Lars, Vinny, and Slot... and how much it would hurt knowing he will never see those smiling faces again after today...

Grimiore had to stop for a moment, as tears began streaming down his face, the reality of his situation becoming more and more real... he was going to die...

'Such a good life.' He thought, trying his best to regain composure. 'One that's about to end...'

Grimoire continued his march, feeling as if he was marching to his execution.

As he reached the rear of the warehouse, Killsquad emerged from out of the shadows.

"So... we finally meet again." Killsquad smirked.

"Killsquad..." Grimiore gave a small grunt. "You look... different..."

"Of course I do." Killsquad scowled. "Your wretched family did this to me..." He then turned his head, showing a major burn scar that made it seem like it was nothing but blood and skull,."It took me years to get to this horrid thing I had become because of you... and furthermore..." He held up his odd hoof, and much to Grimoire's surprise, it was clearly an prosthetic hoof. "I lost a hoof as well. I became a sham of who I was once was..."

"You seem to be doing just fine now if you have money to kill us." Grimiore growled.

"Well, believe it or not, Napoleon, I am not the only one who want you dead." Killsquad smirked.

"Are you refering to our 'enemies'?" Grimiore asked.

"Oh no... these ponies who I am referring are much more powerful than those scum. They saw you as viable threat, and with their support, I was able to get back on my hooves, and put myself back together... just so I can kill you." Killsquad sneered.

"And who are those ponies?" Grimiore glared.

"That doesn't matter...all that does matter is today, I will finally have justice." Killsquad smirked.

"Hardly." Killsquad snorted. "They all chose to associate with you criminal scum of their own volition. For that, they shall be punished. And you will finally pay for your crimes!"

"And what of your crimes?" Grimoire asked. "All the evil you've committed in the name of 'justice'. You're not even a stallion of the law anymore! You're just some psycho vigilante! All you want is to kill me!"

"And it seems I got there just in time." Killsquad smirked.

"...What?" Grimoire growled.

"I recognized your 'condition' the moment you walked in here." Killsquad chuckled darkly. "I can see the dread in your eyes, just as I did with Clyde."

"That doesn't matter." Grimoire snarled. "We have a deal to complete. You got me, so leave the others alone."

"Please." Killsquad smirked. "I had no intention of keeping my word. In fact, there are a few 'old friends' of yours coming to pay your new mansion a visit as we speak."

"But... why demand my prescence here, if you were already planning to attack the mansion?" Grimoire asked.

"Because I knew you'd come." Killsquad declared. "And I wanted the pleasure of killing you myself."

"You rat..." Grimiore snarled, as he then held up his hooves. "Well, here I am! So come and get me!"

"Just one thing, first..." Killsquad grinned. Instantly, he suddenly ripped off Grimoire's jacket, which had several grenades strapped to the insides. "Well, well. Trying to go out with a bang, just like dear old dad? Nice try, Napoleon. I'm not falling for that one again."

He chucked it aside, and shove Grimiore back.

"Let's end this, right here, right now!" Killsquad roared.

"Gladly!" Grimoire roared back.

Back at the mansion, the brothers and all the others were trying to fend off their worries. More than one of them were afraid Grimoire's "plan" would fail, costing him his life.

"I can't believe we're just standing here, waiting for something to happen." Sonny frowned.

"It's all we can do." Murray shrugged.

"What if... Grim doesn't make it?" Vinny asked.

"Don't talk like that." Caboose declared. "He'll make it. He always does..."

Suddenly, the front doors began shaking violently.

"What the buck?" Slot frowned. "Who the-?"

The doors shook again, on the verge of breaking.

"What's going on?!" Crowe snarled.

"Put your backs into it!" A familiar voice yelled.

"Is that just me or did that sound a lot like..." Zebediah murmured.

The doors finally broke down, as suddenly, strolling through the door was none other than the disgraced don of Grimiore's group, Zugzwang.

"Zugzwang?!" Crowe, Zebediah, Kamikaze, and Kong gaped.

"Hello, traitors." Zugzwang smirked. "Didn't expect to see me out of prison so soon?"

"...But how..." Crowe gasped.

"Killsquad." Zugzwang answered swiftly. "He broke me and the others out and promised us a buttload of cash to kill you... and after how you threw me under the bus, I am eager to do just that, and rebuild my empire!"

"Wait... others?" Murray cringed.

"He means us..."

Suddenly, Tong and Rhys, the two Zebediah had teamed up with and attacked Grimiore, stepped out from behind him.

"Oh no..." Zebediah frowned.

"Oh, yes, dear friend..." Rhys sneered.

"We're itching for that billion bits we never got from harvesting that old coot." Tong growled.

"Save some for me!"

Lars perked up as Slugfest, the thug Lars had 'failed' to defend in court, joined the other three.

"Slugfest..." Lars seethed.

"Ready to be discharged, Lars?" Slugfest sneered.

The surviving members of the Gentlecolts walked in.

"Remember us?" Mr Suave asked.

"Yeah." Slot nodded. "Weren't there more of you?"

"Very funny." Mr Manly snarled.

"This is the day of our vengeance." Mr Debonair growled.

"You will pay for what you did to the others." Mr Sophisticated declared.

"And pay dearly." Mr Charm added.

"With interest." Mr Finesse smirked.

"We'll mop the floor with you!" Mr Clean sneered.

"Well, this is turning out to be a party." Salt deadpanned. "Who else did you bring?"

"Oh, everypony was invited to this party." Zugzwang smirked, as several mercenaries and crooked cops filed into the mansion.

"Oh, it's a party alright." Zugzwang smirked. "A farewell party."

"How did you all get past the forcefield?" Lars gasped.

"We have our ways." Zugzwang smirked, holding up a hi-tech device. "Magic disruptor. Pretty nifty, huh?"

"So...you all want to kill us?" Caboose glanced around. "Huh, I knew we had enemies, but not this much."

"You ruined our lives, all of you." Mr Suave snarled. "Foiled our plans, had us thrown in jail..."

"Too bad for you, we were broken out by our mutual benefactor." Rhys declared. "One who sees the value in having us on his side. One who's giving us our biggest payday ever."

"And we get to kill you all as a bonus." Slugfest smirked. "Especially you, Lars."

"Get ready." Rhys sneered. "Because it's almost time to pu-"

"If you say 'purge', I swear to Faust I will bucking end you right here and now!" Tong snarled.

"...Nopony appreciates a good catchphrase these days..." Rhys pouted.

"Sid, get the mares, kids and Blueblood down to the basement!" Murray yelled. "Protect them with your life!"

"Y-you can count on me!" Sid nodded. He was relieved to be given such a job, as seeing all those thugs at once terrified him. "Come on, everypony! You heard the stallion!"

"But can't we help?" Bon-Bon asked.

"This isn't your fight." Sonny said solemnly.

"Sonny is correct." Lars nodded. "This is our mess, and we need to clean it up ourselves."

"Okay." Lyra nodded. "Good luck!"

"Go ahead." Zugzwang snorted. "Hide them away. We'll just deal with them after you're all dead."

"Big words, 'traitor'." Kamikaze spat, drawing his sword. "Let's see if you can back 'em up!"

"Gladly." Zugzwang smirked.

"Enough talk!" Tong declared. "Kill them all!"

The thugs, mercenaries, assassins and crooked cops charged at the brothers and dons.

"Hold the line, everypony!" Murray yelled. "Don't let them pass!"

What followed was a clash of epic proportions, the Napoleons and their allies against some of the worst criminal filth the world had to offer.

"Banzaiiii!" Kong yelled. He leapt into the air and bodyslammed three thugs at once.

"Nice." Kamikaze smirked, as he cut down a crooked cop. "Sometimes, I don't mind when you throw your weight around..."

"You come after us? Fine." Murray declared, punching out a thug.

"But you come after our family?" Salt punched another.

"Our friends?" Vinny drop-kicked a third.

"That's crossin' the line, chumps!" Slot roared, breaking the leg of another.

"And you all gotta pay for that!" Caboose, blasting a fifth with his magic.

As the battle continued, Zebediah was jumped by Tong, who pinned him to the floor.

"Time to die, you striped weasel." He spat, raising a knife.

"Do your worst." Zebediah snarled. "I won't beg."

"Pity." Tong shrugged. "I was looking forward to that."

Just as Tong was about to lower the knife, Oakley leapt upon him with a savage bark.

"Ahh!" Tong cried, Oakley pinning him to the ground. "Let me go, you stupid-"

Oakley started mauling Tong.

"YAHHHH!" Tong screeched, as Oakley started to tear him apart.

"Good boy." Zebediah smiled.

His work done, Oakley charged off to attack some other enemies.

"Well, well." Rhys smirked. "Ol' Zeb. I was hoping for some one-on-one time with you."

"So was I." Zebediah admitted.

"I'm gonna purge you once and for all." Rhys taunted.

"Oh, enough with all this 'purge' talk!" Zebediah roared. "This is why nopony likes you!"

"Shut up!" Rhys charged him.

Zebediah caught Rhys' punch, and hit back with one of his own.

"I'm gonna make you pay for stabbing me in the back and trying to kill Grimm." Zebediah yelled.

"Pretty rich, coming from you." Rhys snorted.

"I've changed a little since then." Zebediah declared, pulling out a bowie knife. "Let me show you how much!"

"Bring it!" Rhys yelled, drawing a machete.

A back and forth blade fight ensued. Rhys' weapon had the advantage in terms of sheer size, but Zebediah's was far less unwieldy, allowing him to make quick and precise slashes while ducking Rhys' own blade. With one good swing, Zebediah slashed Rhys' hoof.

"Ahh!" Rhys yelped, dropping the machete.

"You're the one who's being 'purged' today!" Zebediah plunged the knife into Rhys' chest.

"Not like this..." Rhys' coughed up some blood. "Not with my own damn catchphrase..."

"Sorry, Rhys." Zebediah smirked. "I say it better than you.."

"Low-down... double-crossing..." Rhys collapsed, dead.

"Not anymore." Zebediah pulled the knife out. "I've chosen a side. And I'm sticking with it, no matter what."

Slugfest tackled Lars to the floor, punching him repeatedly.

"Your fancy 'Chewbuccka Defense isn't much use now, is it, Mr know-it-all?" Slugfest taunted him. "You shoulda gotten me off. Then I wouldn't have had to do this!"

Slugfest made to punch Lars again, but he caught the blow. Then he flipped the stallion over, putting him in a half-nelson.

"The jury recognises your face in the floor!" Lars rammed Slugfest's face into the floor.

"Ugh!" Slugfest spat. "You-"

Lars started pummelling Slugfest.

"You brought this on yourself, Slugfest." Lars snarled. "You shouldn't have stolen that money."

"You shouldn't have betrayed me!" Slugfest yelled. "I trusted you!"

"You are breaking my heart." Lars snorted. "In return, I'll break your leg!"

Lars snapped Slugfest's leg.

"YAHHH!" He screamed.

"Slugfest, I find you guilty of the crime of betraying your own equinity." Lars announced, holding up a knife. "The sentence is death."

Lars stabbed Slugfest in the neck, killing him.

"Court is adjourned." He said coldly.

Mr Suave charged at Murray, knocking him down and knocking away his crossbow.

"It's a pity the boss wanted to have Grimoire for himself." He admitted. "But you'll do for a runner-up prize."

"Wanna bet?" Murray lunged at him.

The two stallions struggled, before Murray managed to kick Suave away. Suave recovered, and pulled a knife.

"Game over." He snarled.

As Suave closed in, Murray spotted his crossbow under a table.

"Yahhh!" Suave lunged at him.

Murray used his magic to pull the crossbow to him, then fired a bolt into Suave's heart at point-blank range.

"Yep." He nodded. "And you lose."

Meanwhile, Mr Manly rounded on Caboose.

"Ready for round two?" He asked. "I have more proof of my machoness, if you'd care to try me."

"No talk." Caboose snarled. "Just fighting."

"As you wish!" Mr Manly roared.

The two engaged in a brutal fight. At one point, Manly got Caboose in an armlock, intending on breaking the appendage.

"I told you I was tougher than you!" He boasted.

"Wrong." Caboose turned his head sharply, stabbing Manly in the stomach with his horn. "You just don't have the guts."

"Urk!" Manly gurgled, dropping to the floor.

At the same time, Lars and Sonny took on Debonair and Sophisticated.

"We're gonna pay you back for what you did to Savoir and Courtesy." Debonair growled.

"We've already got a hole ready for you." Sophisticated glared.

"We're not afraid of you." Lars declared.

"Bring it." Sonny snarled.

The four stallions engaged in a massive two-on-two, which ended when Lars and Sonny grabbed them by the heads, and slammed them into each other.

"Nicely done." Lars smiled.

"Thanks." Sonny smiled. "Now let's finish it."

The brothers pulled out their knives and stabbed their foes, ending their evil once and for all.

"Die, you-urk!" Mr Charm gagged, as Vinny jabbed a broken bottle in his neck.

Mr Finesse flipped and cartwheeled all around Salt.

"I learned that from a Chineigh stallion." He taunted.

Salt vaulted over Finesse and knocked him out as he turned.

"I just made that up." He smirked.

Mr Clean clamped his hooves around Slot's throat.

"Don't worry." He told him. "I specialise in clean deaths."

"Funny." Slot gagged. "I don't!"

Slot grabbed a letter opener and slit Clean's throat.

"Gurrr..." Clean groaned, as blood spilled over the floor.

"Yeesh." Slot cringed. "I don't envy whoever has to clean that up..."

Meanwhile, Grimoire and Killsquad were about to start their own battle.

"I can't tell you how much I've been looking forward to this." Killsquad smirked. "My crowning glory..."

"Enough with the gloating monologues." Grimoire scowled. "Just shut up and fight!"

"As you wish." Killsquad snarled.

Killsquad charged forward. Grimoire moved to the left. As Killsquad moved to counter him, Grimoire suddenly shifted to the side, and punched him.

"Ah..." Killsquad rubbed his jaw. "Good to see the Prancingson's hasn't totally robbed you of your wits just yet. It wouldn't be much of a victory if I beat up a drooling vegetable."

"We'll see who ends up a vegetable." Grimoire snarled. "One of us will be going into the dirt when this is over, and it won't be me."

"Wanna bet?" Killsquad spat. He lashed out, catching Grimoire on the chin. "What's the matter? Reflexes not what they were?"

"Come a little closer and find out." Grimoire taunted him.

Back at the mansion, the brothers and dons were occupied with the lesser thugs, giving Zugzwang and two others (a mercenary and a dirty cop) a chance to slip away.

"I know I said we'd deal with your gals last, but I'm an impatient sort." He smirked.

Zugzwang kicked open the door to the basement, strolling down the steps.

"Hello, there." He smirked. "Ready to die?"

"Oh no." May gasped.

"How'd he get past the others?" Berry asked.

"Never you mind." Zugzwang smirked. "You gotta start worrying about yourselves..."

"Hold it right there!" Sid yelled, brandishing a crossbow.

"So you're my replacement." Zugzwang remarked. "You're even scrawnier than I heard."

"I mean it!" Sid yelled. "Stop, or I'll shoot!"

"Go ahead." Zugzwang sneered. "I dare ya!"

"S-stay where you are!" Sid trembled. He didn't really want to shoot, hoping his bluster would drive his enemy off. "I mean it!"

"A real Mafioso would have already fired." Zugzwang taunted him. "What are you, some kind of coward?"

"AH! Die, you evildoer!" Sid screamed as he fired all his bolts at once.

"Wow..." Zugzwang declared. "Never before in my life..." He was revealed to be completely unscathed. His comrades too. "...Have I seen somepony miss all his shots at point-blank range. Too bad for you, I never miss..."

"Um...ah..." Sid murmured, completely freaked out.

"Time to end this." Zugzwang pulled out his crossbow...

"Please don't kill me!" Sid quivered. "Kill them instead! I don't wanna die!"

"What?!" Lyra gasped.

"Besides, they're more important than me!" Sid declared. "Killing them will be way better for your rep!"

"Oh, thanks a lot, Sid!" Dusty rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry, guys! I don't know what to do!" Sid cried, "I really am pathetic!"

"Yeah, you kinda are. And while I appreciate the offer of offing that damn zebra mare that ruined my life and got my chimera killed first..." He gave a death glare at Zecora. "I have to make a point about what happened when stallions think they can replace me with some loser!" He grabbed Sid by the throat. "Good thing I learned a few things in prison for this occassion."

"Ho-hold on one moment." Sid held up a hoof, trying to catch his breath.

"What?!" Zugzwang snarled, his grip tightening.

"I d-don't know what Killsquad is paying you, and I doubt I can top it..." Sid frowned, when he then pulled out three cream puffs. "I have samples for a new pastry I had been testing, and I can promise that they are sinfully delicious. It comes in three flavors..."

"Now he's feeding them?" Bon-Bon snarled.

"I ought shove those cream puffs where the sun don't shine..." Daring growled.

"Ooh, cream puffs." Zugzwang smiled. "Aren't you a regular culinary whizz?"

"Um, aren't we supposed to be killing someponies?" The mercenary asked.

"Having a little pre-murder snack wouldn't hurt." Zugzwang shrugged.

"He has a point." The crooked cop admitted.

The three stallions took bites out of the pastries.

"Mmm, not bad." Zugzwang admitted.

"Tasty." The mercenary declared.

"There's a flavor here I can't quite... quite..." The crooked cop suddenly went mute.

"What's wrong?" The mercenary asked.

The cop's body went stiff, his face frigid...as he fell to the ground like a plank of wood.

"What the buck?!" Zugzwang gaped.

"What the-!" The mercenary started... only for his head to explode.

"Good heavens!" Blueblood yelped.

"His head did explode!" Zecora gasped. "Well, this does not bode!"

"That's putting it mildly." Lyra declared, while the others simply stared, open-mouthed.

"Yahhh!" Zugzwang yelped. "What the buck's going on?"

"The secret's in the frosting." Sid declared. "But I'll never tell..."

"You... you poisoned these?!" Zugzwang threw the remainder of his pastry to the floor. "You sneakin- HURRRRGH!" He suddenly vomited copiously.

"Ugh, gross." Vinyl gagged.

"HURRRRGH!" Zugzwang threw up again.

"Did you really think I'd betray my friends that easily?" Sid asked. "I may not be this super-skilled, cold-blooded killer, but I know what loyalty means."

"You- HURRRRGH!" Zugzwang heaved once more.

"Who's the pathetic one now?" Sid taunted.

Zugzwang sputtered as he attempted to give him a rude gesture, trying to mouth 'buck you', as his eyes rolled back in his head. He fell back, and expired.

"Well, that takes care of that." Sid smirked.

"Whoa." Daring gaped. "That was... pretty hardcore."

"Thank you." Sid nodded. "I thought so too."

"You really had us going with that 'spineless coward' act." Redheart declared.

"It wasn't totally an act." Sid admitted. "I was utterly terrified back there. But I'd never give up the lives of the innocent to save my own skin."

"Lucky for us, huh?" Octavia chuckled.

Dusty suddenly stepped forward.

"Hold up." Sid frowned. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like?" Dusty asked. "I'm going up there to help."

"But we were told to stay down here, my darling." Blueblood reminded her.

"I'm sorry, but I can't stay down here while my family are fighting for their lives." Dusty frowned. "I'm a Napoleon by blood. I should be up there, with my family. And nothing any of you say will stop me."

"Then I shan't bother trying." Blueblood declared. "Instead, I will come with you. I can't let you throw yourself into the fray alone."

"Thanks, Blue." Dusty smiled.

"I haven't known Grim for that long, but you're clearly his daughter." Sid sighed. "I won't stop you either. Just try not to get too badly hurt. Grim'd kill me."

"I'll try." Dusty chuckled, as she and Blueblood climbed the stairs.

The battle was still going on. Both sides were too busy to notice Zugzwang's absence, let alone that Dusty and Blueblood were moving in. One of the thugs jumped Crowe from behind, putting him in a headlock.

"Get... offa... me..." Crowe choked, trying to throw him off.

"Taking you day won't just earn me a hefty payday, it'll make me the most feared assassin around." The stallion smirked, readying a knife.

"Not so fast!" Dusty struck the stallion in the back of the head, making him lose his grip.

Crowe fell to the ground, wheezing.

"Well, well." The thug smirked. "If it isn't Grimoire's little girl. This oughta be fun..."

"More than you think, rogue." Blueblood joined Dusty.

"And the prissy husband, too." The thug chuckled. "This must be my lucky day."

The thug swung his knife at Dusty, who caught his hoof mid-swing.

"How did-?" The thug gaped.

"I'm Grimoire's little girl, remember?" Dusty smirked, tilting his hoof so the knife dropped.

Dusty punched the thug, knocking him back.

"You little..." He snarled.

"That's my wife you're talking to!" Blueblood kicked him. "Not bad for a 'prissy husband', eh?"

"Oh, you're both dead!" The stallion roared.

The stallion charged them, but they quickly dodged, then struck both with pummelling blows of their own. Finally, they struck him with a double uppercut, taking him down.

"We always did make a good team, my dear." Blueblood grinned.

"We sure did." Dusty agreed.

"Well, look who decided to join us." Sonny noted.

"Hardly surprising, really." Lars sighed.

"Thanks for the back-up, kid." Crowe told Dusty. "You too, Princey."

"Glad to help." Blueblood smiled.

"Besides, you're like family too." Dusty declared. "And I won't let any of my family get hurt."

"Me neither." Crowe grinned. "Now let's get back to kicking flank!"

"Gladly." Blueblood nodded.

The three of them leapt back into the fray.

Meanwhile, Grimoire and Killsquad were still fighting their hardest. Unfortunately, Grimoire's hardest was lacking. He misjudged a lunge, missing Killsquad, who capitalised by elbowing him in the back.

"I almost feel sorry for you, Grimoire." Killsquad sneered. "Slowly losing all your skill and talent, to the point where you can barely even operate anymore... I wonder if this is how your father felt at the end? Weak, slow, useless... no wonder he blew himself up. He took the coward's way out, like the spineless yellowbelly he really was."

"How dare you!" Grimoire tackled him. "Never talk about my father that way!"

"I'm surprised you can even remember him at this point." Killsquad taunted him. "But I'll help you get reacquainted real soon, if you catch my drift..."

Back at the mansion, the remaining attackers, realising the battle was lost, attempted to flee.

"Let's get out of here!" An assassin yelped.

"I don't get paid enough for this!" One crooked cop declared.

"Yeah, that's it!" Vinny yelled.

"Beat it!" Slot gloated.

"And don't come back!" Salt added.

"Unless you call first!" Caboose called.

The would-be assassins ran out the front doors... only to find the rest of the Napoleon mafia waiting for them.

"Well, what do we have here?" Gregory smirked.

"Some punks looking for trouble." Big Guns declared.

"Well, they found it..." Carapace declared.

"Uh-oh..." The crooked cop gulped.

"Get 'em!" Gregory roared.

The mafia members charged the remaining thugs, pummelling them with all their might.

"What the-?" Crowe asked, as he and the others came out. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Why do you think?" Gregory declared. "With everything that was going on lately, we figured this'd be where the action was."

Unfortunately, at the same time, Grimoire was starting to lose his edge. His fighting was getting slow and sloppy.

"Finally starting to tucker out, eh?" Killsquad sneered. "Now the real fun begins!"

Killsquad tackled Grimoire, and started pounding him mercilessly.

"What's the matter, Grim?" Killsquad taunted as he punched him. "You losing your touch!"

"Ugh!" Grimoire groaned as Killsquad punched him again. He was doing his best to hang on, but his reserves were almost spent...

Back at the mansions, the others were celebrating their victory.

"We did it!" Dusty squealed as they entered the study.

"Was there any doubt in your mind?" Murray smirked.

"Not mine!" Caboose smiled.

"Or mine!" Slot chest-bumped Caboose, knocking him into the bookcase. Grimoire's memoirs dropped down onto the floor.

"Hey, isn't that the book Grimoire's writing?" Salt asked.

"That is the book, it does look." Zecora noted.

"Let's take a peek." Vinny declared. "See what's in there. Y'know, make sure he's painting us in the right way for the public."

"Okay." Caboose nodded. "Hey, there's the stuff about the battle against Red Eclipse! All the trouble I had with Fletcher..."

"My beef with Cavallo..." Murray joined in.

"My match with Sugar Rein..." Salt added.

"My little midlife crisis..." Sonny mused. The dons and the other mares glanced at him, "Long story..."

"The case against Luxury..." Lars read.

"The little feud I had with those squares." Vinny frowned.

"And how I came to get two wives." Slot smirked, "Still proud of that."

"Hey, even I am in here!" Sid smiled, "And so are the others!"

The dons joined in on the reading.

"What?!" Kamikaze snarled. "He said that about me?! The nerve..."

"I think he was right on the money." Zebbediah admitted. "About all of us. Hey look, there's the part about Oakley..."

"Hey..." Crowe frowned. "There is something going on in the later pages..."

"Yeah, the writing is getting all screwy." Caboose frowned. "And... are those spelling errors? Grimoire is a pro at spelling! He wouldn't make mistakes like these!"

"Caboose is right." Lars noted. "Grimoire's writing is steadily becoming more ineligible by the page..."

"...Skip to the end." Sonny frowned. "Quick."

Caboose complied, and they read the final passage.

"'I will settle things with Killsquad, one way or another...'" Murray read. "What does he...?"

"Oh no." Slot frowned. "He's not plannin' on comin' back...is he?"

"Probably because he figures a death in battle is better than the Prancingson's." Salt declared.

"The what?" Dusty frowned.

"What do you mean?" Zecora asked. "What do you know that we have not seen?"

The brother looked at each other, then decided to talk.

"Well, Grimoire has Prancingson's Disease." Vinny confessed.

"...What?" Dusty whispered, "I... Prancingson's?"

"Grimiore...is dying?" Blueblood gaped. "No... that can't be... Grim... he..."

"I don't believe what I'm hearing." Zecora gasped. "Why would Grimoire not tell me about his death nearing?"

"He just wanted to protect you." Lars declared.

"And us." Sonny nodded. "We only found out because Vinny overheard him talking to his doctor."

At the same time, Caboose found a letter attached to the back page. he opened it, ever so curious and began reading.

"Protect us?!" Dusty frowned. "How long has this been going on?!"

"Well, according to the book..." Kamikaze read through the book. "It was shortly after Blueballs found out that Grimm offed his dad."

"...That was four buckin' months ago!" Dusty trembled, beside herself with fury. "All these months, my dad was dying, and he didn't think to tell me?! And you guys didn't bother telling me?!"

"Hey, would you rather that we tell you or Grim himself?" Vinny deadpanned.

"That doesn't matter!" Dusty roared. "Buck him protecting us, he's the one who needs protecting!"

"Yes, we must make haste." Zecora declared. "Before his life goes to waste."

"I'm sorry, ladies, but you're not going anywhere." Murray declared.

"What?" Dusty scowled.

"What do you mean?" Zecora asked. "To stop us, why are you so keen?"

"Well, one, Zecora, you are pregnant." Salt began. "And two, Grimoire chose this path, and we have to respect that choice. No matter what."

"How can you call yourselves his brothers if you're just going to let him die?" Dusty growled.

"Because Grim wants it this way." Sonny declared. "That how our pa wanted it when he died..."

"If he wishes to die today, rather than endure weeks of suffering, it's his decision." Lars nodded.

"And what of his wife?" Zecora snarled. "I have no say in him throwing away his life?"

"Look, you're not going anywhere." Slot said fiercely.

"Yes, we are!" Dusty yelled. "And you can't stop us!"

"Wanna bet- wait." Salt frowned. "Where's Caboose?"

"He was right here." Daring frowned. "Caboose!"

"Hang on." Lars lit up his horn, using a spell to search for Caboose's own magic. "I can't detect him anywhere in the mansion."

"And where's that other radio?" Vinny asked.

"Oh, you gotta be kiddin' me..." Murray growled. "That idiot..."

"Wait, what's this?" Sonny picked up the letter. "'After I have shuffled off this mortal coil, the duty of leading this mafia will go to-' Caboose?!"

"Him?" Slot snorted. "Grim chose him to be the new don? He must really be senile right now..."

"Caboose wouldn't want that." Vinny frowned.

"Which is probably why he left." Lars realised. "He's going to try and save Grimoire!"

Meanwhile, running faster than any normal pony thought possible, Caboose was speeding through the Everfree Forest, through the plains outside Ponyville, the bridge leading to Manehattan... all in a matter of minutes.

Eventually, Caboose was outside the warehouse, when suddenly, his radio crackled to life.

"Caboose, come in!" Lars called.

"Not now." Caboose snarled.

"You have to come back!" Murray urged. "Now!"

"You can't help Grim!" Sonny declared. "You'd just be giving Killsquad another victim!"

"You'll be outmatched!" Salt told him.

"Come back, please!" Vinny pleaded.

"Don't be an idiot for once!" Slot added.

"Sorry, guys." Caboose said sternly. "Grimoire needs me."

With that, Caboose shut off the transceiver.

Caboose rushed over to the warehouse. The two guards moved to stop him.

"Hey, you can't-" One started, before Caboose punched him out.

"Says who?" Caboose yelled, bringing the other down with a kick.

Caboose burst into the warehouse. The other thug rushed to attack, but he was like a pony possessed, taking down each one with quick, precise blows. Even when they all piled onto him at once, he brushed them aside like ragdolls. Every blow served to make make him strike back harder, each foe just another obstacle to push aside. All their assaults did was make him more and more determined to save his brother.

By the time Caboose reached the back of the warehouse, Grimiore was struggling to get away from Killsquad, badly bruised.

"I always wondered what would break first..." Killsquad smirked, as he then grabbed Grimiore, lifting him overhead.

"Your spirit..."

Caboose threw a now dead body of another guard through the door, and rushed in, just as he saw Grimoire being held in the air.

"Grim!" Caboose gasped.

"Or your body!" Killsquad roared, as he slammed Grimoire''s back against his knee.

"Ughhh!" Grimoire groaned, as he fell to the ground.

"NOOOOOOO!" Caboose screamed, rushing over and kneeling at his side. "Grim!"

"Well, well." Killsquad sneered. "Little brother to the rescue. Too bad you're just a little late..."

"No..." Caboose murmured, as he then glared viciously at Killsquad. "You'll pay for that, you sicko!"

"Ah, you must be dear little Caboose. Clyde's little boy." Killsquad smirked. "It was a shame I didn't get to meet you before... but I guess daddy thought you too small to be playing with the big boys."

"You buckhole..." Caboose growled, as he stood up and took battle position, "In a few days, you terrorized my brothers, put my best friend in the hospital, and now, you cripple my dear big brother? I am going to kick. Your. Butt."

"Go ahead and try, little boy." Killsquad grinned evilly. "You have no idea how powerful I am. I have trained my body to the peak of physical perfection, mastered all sort of combat styles. I am one of the most ruthless and unrelenting fighters around. What could you possibly have that can best me?"

"Only one thing." Caboose snarled, as out of nowhere, he pulled out his trusty cannon, Sheila 2.0, "Eat cannon fodder, motherfu-"

*BOOM!*

Killsquad barely had time to react, as he slowly glanced down, and saw a gaping hole where his chest used to be. He then glanced at Caboose, stupefied by what just happened.

"Ugh..." Killsquad gurgled, growing wobbly. "You... cheated..."

Killsquad collapsed to the floor. With the obstacle removed, Caboose rushed over to Grimoire. He lifted his brother's battered body up and propped him against the wall.

"C-c-caboose?" Grimoire slurred.

"Don't speak, Grim..." Caboose murmured, as he looked him over, "Oh crap, that butthole pulled a 'Bane' on you. Only guys with those wierd face masks can do that!"

"Caboose...why did you save me...?" Grimoire wheezed.

"You're my brother, you dope!" Caboose growled. "I didn't just massacre a warehouse full of guards because I get off on it!"

"...You found...my letter...didn't you?" Grmiore deadpanned.

"Ya damn right I did!" Caboose growled. "Why the buck would you choose me to be your successor?! I've proven time and time again that I would screw things up!"

"True..." Grimoire nodded. "But you've got the heart to watch over our organisation. You care about the ponies around you. I knew I could trust you to keep them safe."

"But I don't want to be the don!" Caboose snarled. "You're the don! You always were the don! You're the only one who can lead this family!"

"Not anymore." Grimoire shook his head. "I'm not long for the world... my mind...it's so broken that I can't remember anything..."

"That's not true!" Caboose growled, though it was turning into a whimper. "You remember me, don't you? And Murray, Sonny, Salt, Lars, Vinny, Slot! And you can't forget Zecora or Dusty! You know, your wife and your daughter! And what about the other dons?!"

"...Caboose... do you have a transceiver? Killsquad broke my other one..." Grimiore asked weakly.

"Yeah." Caboose held it up. "Why?"

"I want to share some last words with my family." Grimoire declared.

"D-don't talk like that." Caboose shuddered. "It's not over! Not yet!"

"Caboose, please..." Grimoire pleaded.

"Okay." Caboose held up the transceiver, dialling it to the mansion's frequency. "Go ahead."

"Hey, everypony." Grimoire croaked.

Back at the mansion, Grimoire's words filtered through.

"Dad!" Dusty smiled.

"My darling Grim!" Zecora cheered. "It really is him!"

"Oh, thank Faust." Blueblood sighed. "He's okay."

"Bro, you're alive." Murray smiled.

"Not for long, I'm afraid." Grimoire wheezed. "Killsquad really did a number on me..."

"Don't say that." Salt declared. "You'll pull through. You always do..."

"Not this time..." Grimoire wheezed. "Now, just listen... I have some things I'd like to say...first off...and I'm sure you all know... I have Prancingson's... just like Pa before me."

"Yeah, we, uh... had an idea." Vinny admitted.

"I know I should have told you all... but I didn't want to be a burden." Grimiore sighed.

"That would never happen..." Murray sniffed. "Never..."

"Regardless, I have to say these words before I forget... Crowe... Kamikaze... Zebediah... Kong... and Sid... I'd just like to say that it was a privilege working with you." Grimoire smiled. "Every one of you...I admit, I know my ways differ greatly from yours... but I appreciate that you stood by me even at our worst moments, including now..."

"Grim, you legend..." Crowe declared.

"I'll miss you, buddy..." Zebediah frowned, "Now I really feel like crap for all those backstabbin' I did..."

"We didn't always see eye to eye, but I always respected you..." Kamikaze admitted, "Even though you annoy the living crap out of me..."

"I'll never forget you." Sid pledged, "You or your kindness..."

"Zoogar." Kong said. Loosely translated, the word meant 'Rest in peace, honored friend'.

"And now, my brothers. You helped me through the rough times, always standing by me. And you were all such an inspiration. Murray, always the straight arrow..."

"Grim..." Murray sniffed.

"Salt, never afraid to fight for what you believe in..."

"Don't give up." Salt urged, trying to keep his tears in, "You gotta keep goin'"

"Vinny, always so creative. All those wines you made...and your incredible wit."

"Ah, geez..." Vinny covered his eyes.

"Lars, I always respected your brains. You could think your way out of anything..."

"Grimoire..." Lars sighed.

"Sonny, your kindness always reminded me to show mercy once in a while..."

"If only there was mercy for you." Sonny began silently sobbing.

"Slot, never afraid to speak your mind... or to pick a fight"

"Got that right." Slot tried to hold it together.

Then Grimoire turned to Caboose, the transceiver still held up to his snout.

"Caboose." Grimoire smiled. "My little baby brother... before you were born, I promised Anarchy I would look after you... and in a way... it turns out you were always looking out for me. You were like Anarchy never left us... you and he were always alike... always up for a good time... brave to a fault... yet, you never lost that shred of innocence and joy, even in your darkest moment... I am proud that I got to call you brother..."

"Oh, Grim..." Caboose whimpered.

"Dad..." Dusty butted in, as her eyes were streaming with tears. "Dad... Daddy... please, don't die... I can't lose you... not like I lost mom..."

"Dusty, my wonderful, beautiful daughter." Grimiore let out a weak sigh, elated to hear her voice. "You've made me so proud, baby girl... Sandy herself would be proud..."

"Please... no... no..." Dusty's voice devolved into incoherent sobbing, as Blueblood moved to comfort her.

"And Blue... Blueblood..." Grimoire shook his head. "Take good care of her and my grandfoals...I know things hadn't been the same since...well, I am the reason you don't have a father... but... in a way, since that day in the woods, hunting that cockatrice... I knew that someday, I would come to call you my son... and I never regretted that."

"I... I..." Blueblood stuttered, trying his best not to break down in tears. "Thank you..."

"And Zecora..." Grimiore whispered. "I only wish we had a little more time. And that I could be there with you, raising our foal...I tried so hard to hang on, for our child... I wanted nothing more to hold him or her in my hooves... but I guess we can't always get what we ant."

"Grimoire, please don't go." Zecora sniffed. "I love you so..."

"I'm sorry." Grimoire sighed. "I have no choice. But maybe it's better this way. At least now, I have some part of my mind left, so I could say a proper goodbye to you all..."

"Daddy, please..." Dusty wept, unable to stop crying into her husband's shoulder.

Mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me my only son
And listen closely to what I say
And if you do this it'll help you
some sunny day. Oh Yah!

Grimiore's eyes were having difficulty staying open...

Oh take your time don't live too fast
troubles will come and they will pass
Go find a woman and you'll find love
And don't forget son there is someone up above

"Come on, Grim!" Caboose urged. "Stay with me!"

"Caboose..." Grimoire wheezed. "Promise that you'll look out for the family after I'm gone..."

"Okay, I will." Caboose nodded. "Just so long as you promise to stay awake. Deal?"

"Don't... think... so..." Grimoire's eyes started to close.

"No... Grim..." Caboose wept. "Don't leave us, please... GRIM!"

And be a simple kind of man
Oh be something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can?

Grim's body grew limp, as Grimiore let out small whispers... it sounded like... 'I don't wanna go... I don't wanna go'

Forget your lust, for the rich man's gold
All that you need is in your soul
And you can do this Oh baby if you try
All that I want for you my son is to be satisfied

They all mourned Grimoire's passing. Zecora and Dusty held each other, inconsolable. The brother stood in shock, unable to believe their brother was dead. And the other dons bowed their heads in reverence. Oakley howled in sorrow over his lost master. Back in the warehouse, Caboose held Grimoire's body in his hooves, weeping hysterically.

"Don't go..." He bawled. "Don't go! No! It's not fair!"

Crowe looked upon Grimoire's still-open memoirs, and read the final passage aloud.

"'Whenever the thought crossed my mind, I held the hope that I would die a grand death, facing off against some great, insurmountable foe, for the glory of the mafia'." Crowe read. "'But right now, I know that I want to die for the ones he love. I will settle things with Killsquad, one way or another...' Yeah, that's Grim, alright. His family always came first. No matter what..."

And be a simple kind of man
Oh be something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can?

'In spite of everything I had been through... I have but a few regrets... but if I could go through all of it again... I would do it in a heartbeat. To think, I dismissed the mafia life and wanted to dedicate my life to become a writer...and now...I was going to die, hopefully being remembered as the don of the greatest crime family in all of Eurodeo. This brings to mind what mom told me before she passed away...to be a simple kind of stallion. It wasn't till now that I figure what she meant... she wants me to be somepony that I can love and understand... and honestly, it never rang so clear for me than it did at that moment... I know the kind of stallion I am... and knowing I died as one... it makes things a little easier.

Boy don't you worry, you'll find yourself
Follow your heart and nothing else
And you can do this
Oh baby if you try
All that I want for you my son is to be satisfied

Crowe reached the end of the passage.

'Despite all this... It pains me to know I will never get to see my newborn son... I had the doctor told me the gender at the last checkup. I didn't want to tell Zecora, because she wasn't the kind for the hospital in the first place. But the fact that I had sired a son... it gave me a sense of pride and a sense of undying agony of never seeing what kind of pony he would become. I know you will one day read this, my boy. And all I can do is ask that you forgive me for not being there for you and your mother... just know that what I'm about to do will ensure you can grow up safe and happy. And in the end, that's all I ever really wanted for you. So in that respect, I've already fulfilled my fatherly duty. Make me proud, son.'

"Oh, Grim..." He sighed. "To think your story would end like this..."

Crowe closed the book solemnly, and bowed his head in sorrow.

Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can?
So, baby be a simple, be a simple man.
Oh won't you do this for me son... if you can

Author's Note:

"Simple Man" belongs to Lynyrd Skynyrd.