• Published 11th Mar 2015
  • 710 Views, 18 Comments

Sister of the Stars - Sheltie Paws



An ancient spell that has kept Princess Celestia's and Luna's sister disappear from all memories is on the brink of being broken. The sisters set out to find not only their little sibling, but a chain of fractured memories and forgotten dreams.

  • ...
4
 18
 710

(prologue) A Moonlit Flight

Celestia was on the palace balcony, searching the sky for the constellations to appear. Luna's beautiful moon began rising, slowly bathing Canterlot in white light. The first glittering stars started to twinkle in the indigo sky. Celestia waited until all the flowers of the night were in place.

Just as she did every night, the alicorn picked a section of the sky and held her gaze, trying to find a star she had not marked on her star chart(which took up an entire room). Celestia turned her head and began to scan another section. Nothing new,she thought.


A dark shadow passed over the moon, the shape of an alicorn.


"Hello Luna, out for a flight?" Celestia called to her sister.

"Yes, do you want to join me?" Luna's hollered back.

Celestia stretched her wings and took to the air, cool air rushing past her fur. A night off from star counting would't

hurt.

"Luna?" Celestia said, as she caught up to her sister. "Have you noticed Flash Sentry, that pegasus that used to be a royal guard? He has been sneeking off to picnics with Twilight lately, have you noticed?"

Luna chuckled."Young love is in the air. Each one of the Elements seems to have found a date." Luna paused. "Not me though. You won't catch me on Hearts and Hooves day in a café with a coltfriend," Celestia laughed.

Only when they were alone would they talk this casually. Pillow fights still lived on in the sisters, even at this age.

"So, any luck with the stained glass window question?" Luna pressed.

"Nope. I still don't see why every time we defeat a villan we make a new window. A lot of time and effort could be saved if we did not do that tradition," Celestia replied." We should be getting home."

As she turned towards the palace she noticed the tiniest fainted star. It was unmarked. Celestia made a mental note to put it on her chart. For some odd reason, she felt like the star was telling her something.

The sisters were silent for a while. Then Luna spoke up.

"Celestia?" Luna started." Do you ever wonder about the stars?"

Celestia paused. Her sister's question could have many answers. "What do you mean?" she asked.

"You raise the sun, and I raise the moon. Who do you think raises the stars?" Luna's voice had a hint of curiosity in it.

Celestia suddenly felt numb and unfocused. "I'm going to sleep," she announced. She landed on the balcony with a soft thump.

"I'll stay out late. See you in the morning," Luna said, and she flew into the night.

Celestia took a final glance at the stars, and then the busy streets of Canterlot, alive with lamplights. She could almost make out carriages parked on the egde of the road. It sometimes seemed as though the city never slept.

The white alicorn trotted to her bed chamber. Something was different tonight, and not in a good way.

Author's Note:

Yay, first chapter. I'm still getting the hang of writing. I'll try to make chapters longer in the future.