• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 4,787 Views, 439 Comments

The Shield's Protector - Carapace



There is nothing he wouldn't do to protect her from harm, nothing he wouldn't do to show his love. But, whether he was Captain of the Guard or Prince of the Crystal Empire, Shining Armor was her stallion, first and foremost. Her beloved.

  • ...
21
 439
 4,787

23. How Heavy the Weight You Carried

Sometimes, Shining Armor got a bit tired of how the Crystal Empire’s architecture was almost exclusively crystal.

The glare of sunlight when he turned to face somepony was a minor annoyance, but after a while it started to grate on his nerves when he had to look away, blink, and refocus before he could yell at some hapless recruit—usually Glimmer or Twinkle until the former opted out of training.

Shining shook his head and brought a hoof up to massage the bridge of his nose. Stop letting your bad mood do this. The Empire is your home now.

Turning to look through the park gate, he found his eyes drawn toward the lush green grass and leaf-filled trees, a far cry from the state of the Empire when Sombra’s shadow still loomed over the land.

“Ca—Prince Armor?” a familiar voice called from over his shoulder.

Shining turned and found himself face to face with Glimmer. He made to give a simple greeting, but stopped short, his jaw dropped. “Glimmer,” he began, laughter bubbling up in his chest despite his dour mood. “What in the name of Celestia are you wearing?”

Clad in a powder blue shirt with the image of the Crystal Palace shining in the sunlight, along with a matching hat, Glimmer gave a crooked smile and shifted in place. A drink tray bearing five glasses rested on his back. “It’s, uh, my uniform, My Prince,” he replied sheepishly. “I don’t mean to be rude, but if I bow… well, I’ll spill the drinks.”

“Your uniform?” Shining repeated, his lips curving into a smirk. Oh, when Hoofy hears about this, I’ll need a train full of popcorn. “So, you traded in the Imperial Guard armor for a hat and a shirt?” Seeing Glimmer nod, he sniggered. “Alright, then, pray tell, why are you wearing this get up instead of my uniform?”

Glimmer winced and took a step back. He looked down at his hooves, mumbling something under his breath.

Raising an eyebrow, Shining pricked his left ear up. “Didn’t quite catch that.”

“I’m a tour guide,” Glimmer said, scuffing a hoof against the ground. “I needed some bits, since I don’t get a trainee stipend now that I’ve gone on leave.”

Oh, right. Shining nodded, barely restraining a grimace at his former trainee’s plight. Autumn would’ve filed paperwork to have his stipend cut until he chose to re-enlist. “I understand, Glimmer,” he said. “Just a little joke, really.”

“Ah.” Glimmer gave another awkward shift, his smile growing a bit more strained. “Sorry. One day I’ll actually get one of those jokes.”

“It takes time, don’t worry about it,” Shining replied, his thoughts wandering back toward a few memories of Prism Shine and Tourmaline staring blankly at him after he tried a one-liner. “So, tour guide. That explains the shirt and hat, what’s with the drink tray? You on break with a couple tour guide buddies?”

Yet another shift, adding a flick of his short-cut, shimmering tail. “Not quite,” he admitted, sighing as he pushed the bill of his hat back so he could search the crowd of ponies walking past. “The ponies I’m supposed to be guiding were on another tour with me a couple days ago. They were awful friendly, even asked if I wanted to come have dinner with them afterward, and we kinda hit it off. So, now, I’m apparently their preferred guidepony, if the last three days are any indicator.”

“Forgive me if I seem dense, but that doesn’t explain the drinks.” Or the distinct lack of ponies being guided, he noted, his eyes flitting about in search of anypony walking toward them.

“Oh, it does.” Glimmer gave another sigh, dropping his gaze to meet Shining’s. “They’re like herding cats. Really, I’m starting to wonder who’s guiding—”

“There you are!” a mare’s voice called out from just behind Glimmer.

A vibrant green glow engulfed the drink tray and levitated it off Glimmer’s back, floating it over to a beaming mare. She walked over, her saddlebags bouncing with each step, and gave him a little nuzzle to his cheek. “Toola and I were starting to wonder if you’d gotten lost!”

Glimmer furrowed his brows. “I wouldn’t ‘get lost’ if you’d all stay in one place!” he said, stomping a crystalline hoof. “Where did you all get to this time?”

“Well, Aspire and Sure Stroke went off to the park for a little bit of ‘alone time’—” the slight inclining of her eyebrows and waggling of her ears gave Shining enough of a clue as to meaning behind her thinly veiled hint “—and Toola and I thought we’d sit down and talk while we waited for our favorite adorably clumsy guide to return with drinks!”

As Glimmer bickered with his friend, Shining gave her a quick once over. The newcomer had a peach coat and soft, purple mane, bright pink eyes, and a rather slender, petite build. Not too atypical from most unicorns, though perhaps a little bit smaller.

Not to mention the way she looked at Glimmer—well, she hadn’t even spared Shining a glance when she’d walked up.

Shining had to hold back a snigger. Cady would be all over this before I could blink. Glimmer, you dog.

A little huff and grumble from Glimmer brought him out of his observation. “Esalen, please!” the younger stallion scolded, giving a meaningful glance to Shining.

“Oh, no, don’t mind me, Glimmer!” he said, waving a hoof. “I’m headed into the park, don’t let me interrupt your—ahem—moment.” The sight of Glimmer’s ears drooping as he squirmed and looked down at his hooves brought a smirk to Shining’s face. Yeah, this’ll cheer Cady right up after we have our talk.

Esalen turned to look at him, beaming as she nudged Glimmer’s shoulder. “Who’s your friend?” she asked, her face the picture of innocence. “He almost looks like that picture of Prince Armor you showed me!”

Blinking, Shining looked down at the polished purple breastplate and hoofguards, then slowly raised his gaze to meet the pair before him. This mare didn’t know who he was after his marriage to a Crown Princess?

Okay, I take it back. What rock did you find this one under, Glimmer?

“Uh…” Glimmer glanced from Esalen to Shining. Slowly, a smile crossed his muzzle, one that didn’t quite seem to belong.

Pale green eyes met bright blue in silent questioning. Shining raised his eyebrow and gave a single nod.

This can only end well.

“Funny you should ask.” Glimmer smirked and stood up straight, gesturing toward Shining with a hoof. “Esalen, I’d like you to meet a friend of mine. This is Prince Shining Armor, Captain of the Royal Guard of Equestria and Imperial Guard of the Crystal Empire.”

Shining took his cue and bowed his head. “The pleasure’s mine, Miss Esalen. Welcome to the Crystal Empire.”

The slow change that came about her expression was quite the show. Her eyes went as wide as dinner plates, her jaw dropped. “I—uh—oh, goodness!” she babbled, hastily bowing her head. “I’m so sorry, Prince Armor! I—”

He held up a hoof to silence her. “It’s fine,” he said, waving her off. “Been awhile since I met a pony who didn’t recognize me.”

Esalen gave a nervous chuckle. “Oh, no! I mean, looking closer, it’s rather silly of me not to. It’s just… um… I really don’t hope I’m being too blunt, Prince Armor, but you look exhausted.”

Shining recoiled at her candor. I do? He blinked, wincing at the way his eyelids seemed to slow in reopening, like they wanted nothing more than to clench tight and let him drift off. When was the last time I had a full night’s sleep?

Esalen!” Glimmer gaped at her, then stepped between Shining and her, bowing low. “I’m so sorry, My Prince! Esalen’s from a rather small village and doesn’t often deal too much with royalty! Please excuse her, I’ll take full—”

“It’s fine, Glimmer,” Shining cut him off. He gave a weak smile, meeting Esalen’s gaze with a quizzical look. “Hope I haven’t ruined your idea of what royalty normally looks like, but sometimes life throws us a few curveballs and we have to adapt.”

“Oh, no, not at all!” She shook her head. “I don’t mean to be rude, it’s just something I noticed and, well, I can’t help but speak up when I notice things sometimes. That said—” cautiously, she took a couple steps closer, tilting her head to get a better look at him “—you seem a bit stressed, Prince Armor. Those lines on your cheeks and the creases in your forehead aren’t good for your complexion.”

“Like I said. Curveballs,” he replied, his tone clipped.

Esalen started and gave another quick shake of her head. “I’m sorry. I really am getting a little too nosy, Sure Stroke always warned me about that.” She ducked her head and gave a sheepish grin. “If she weren’t off with my brother in the park, she’d probably be scolding me right now.”

“Ah, I see. Well, no offense taken.” The park, that’s right. Cady. Shining gave a little bow of his head, then said, “It was nice to see you again, Glimmer. And nice to meet you, Miss Esalen. But I’ve got a little bit of personal business in the park that needs to be tended to, so I’ll have to leave you.”

Glimmer bowed, making a deliberate show of going lower than Shining. “Likewise, My Prince. Please extend my best wishes to Princess Cadence as well.”

“And mine, too,” Esalen added, bowing in kind. She raised her head, meeting Shining’s gaze again and lighting up her horn to float a small card out from her bags and offered it to him. “It might be a bit presumptuous, Prince Armor, but I wanted to offer you my business card.”

Raising his brow, Shining took the card in his magic and held it to hover before he snout. “You’re a massage therapist?” he asked, casting an instinctive glance toward her side in search of her cutie mark.

She turned to flash her saddlebags, which bore the image of a rod wrapped in green vines—a mark of healing. “Toola and I opened a physical therapy clinic together. She’s going to help with physical rehabilitation through yoga. You should come by some time.”

Shining hummed to himself, tucking the card into his breastplate. “I’ll have to think about that,” he said. “Never really been one for massages.”

“They’re a great way to relieve stress,” Esalen offered. “Especially when ‘curveballs’ are being thrown.”

This mare knows how to sell her craft. Maybe Cady could use a session with her. He smiled and gave a nod. “I’ll think about it,” he repeated. “Have a good day, you two. Glimmer, stay out of trouble. You still owe me a visit.”

“Yes, sir,” Glimmer replied. “I’ll make sure to stop by.”

“Very good.” Shining turned and began to trot toward the park, grinning as he heard the familiar sound of a mare’s hoof striking a foolish stallion’s shoulder—though a bit different due to the crystalline clink along with the meaty smack.

You jerk!” Esalen hissed, drawing a flick of Shining’s ear. You could’ve warned me!

Shining did his very best to bite back a chuckle, a feat Glimmer didn’t even come near matching as he succumbed to his own laughter.

Enjoy it while you can, Glimmer. Mares always win in the end. He cast a look over his shoulder, his grin broadened at the way Esalen’s cheeks seemed to puff up in agitation for a moment until a rather dangerous smirk made its way across her muzzle. She’s already got you wrapped around her hoof and you don’t even know it.

Although a small part of him remained curious, he turned away and continued his walk. Watching ponies’ relationships was more Cadence’s thing, anyway. And Twilight’s, given her new role as Princess of Friendship.

With his head high and jaw set, Shining began his brisk trot through the park, his eyes scanning for any sign of tricolored mane and soft pink coat. He had to stop along the way to let a colt wearing a blindfold stagger by as he called out “Am I getting warmer” to a gaggle of giggling foals, bringing a small, tired smile to Shining’s muzzle.

Gosh, that brings back memories. He closed his eyes and shook his head, gently nudging the images of a much younger Twilight and Cadence laughing uncontrollably as he tickled them with his magic to the back of his mind.

When he opened his eyes to look again, he frowned. There was just no sign of Cadence, nor was there even a glint of sunlight off of Stout Heart’s gilded gold armor.

Flicking his tail, Shining stomped his hoof and gave a snort. “C’mon, Cady, where are you?” he mumbled. “I can’t talk things out with you if I can’t find you.”

He chewed on his bottom lip, sighing and shaking his head as he resumed his search. Hopefully he could find them before Cadence decided to leave. At very least, she’d have the pegasus patrol watching over her as she made her way back to the palace.

His ears stood up straight. Prism said that Valiance told Cirrus to send out a patrol to do a few flybys. “Wow, I really am slipping.” Shining raised his gaze, scanning the sky for any sign of pegasi in gold armor flitting through the clouds.

Sure enough, in tight ‘missing mare’ formation, one of Cirrus’ patrols circled overhead, almost lazily going through a basic perimeter sweep, looking somewhere toward the center of the park. To the untrained eye, it would seem like they were just using it for a reference point during their flight.

Shining, on the other hoof, knew better.

He pursed his lips and let out a shrill whistle to get the attention of the flight leader. The trio of pegasi banked hard and came around to land before him, each snapping a quick salute. “Nimbus, Stratos, and Sonic Boom,” he greeted. “Cirrus sent you three to watch over Cadence, eh?”

“Yes, sir,” Nimbus replied. “We got the order about a half hour ago.”

“Sounds about right, based on what Prism told me. Where is she?”

Nimbus pointed ahead. “Princess Cadence is sitting on a park bench with Private Stout Heart. They’ve been together for some time now.”

Shining stared a moment, slowly raising an eyebrow. Okay. On one hoof, at least he’s with her. On the other, do I need to hit him over the head with the Royal Guard protocol guide until he gets it? Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath and shook his head. “I’ll deal with Stout later, I guess. Thanks, boys. Head back to dispatch and let Cirrus know I sent you in. I appreciate your work.”

The trio snapped salutes in perfect unison. “Yes, sir!” they replied before kicking off and arching through the sky toward the palace.

Grimacing, Shining raised a hoof to shield his eyes from the dust they kicked up. He sighed and rolled his eyes. “Every time,” he grumbled, flicking his tail as he began a brisk trot toward the center of the park.

Ponies, families and couples alike, stepped to the side to allow him passage, each bowing to him and greeting him with a hearty “Good afternoon, My Prince”. Even the colt who’d nearly bowled him over before trotted up and bowed—now sans blindfold—before dancing out of reach of the new “blind foal’s” hooves.

As he came around a bend in the path, Shining peeked around a large tree and, at last, caught a glimpse of sunlight glinting off the polished gold of Stout’s armor and Cadence’s regalia.

Just as Nimbus said, they were sitting on a bench together—a bit too close for his taste. Shining bit down, gritting his teeth as he took in another sharp breath. He watched closely as they talked, Stout seemed to be trying to make some sort of point, but the wrinkling of her snout and the tiny frown made it quite clear that Cadence wasn’t too thrilled with whatever he was saying. The subsequent pinning back of Stout’s ears and hasty explanation only confirmed it.

Trying to be helpful. I guess I can be a bit gentle in reminding him, rather than making him run again. He made to approach, but stopped short when he noticed Cadence holding her crown out to Stout Heart. His breath hitched in his throat. What in Equestria does she think she’s doing?

Seeing her begin to speak, his ears perked to their fullest height. Shining leaned forward, straining to hear her voice.

No such luck.

Shining wrinkled his snout. He could hear their voices, muffled as they spoke in hushed tones, but couldn’t quite make out the words.

Curiosity nagged at the back of his mind. With his eyes locked on the pair, Shining sidled toward the tree behind their bench, making to circle around. As he crept closer, he was finally able to make out the words.

“How about advice, then? In exchange for advice on how to progress with Tourmaline?”

Stout Heart leaned back, confusion written plain upon his face. “I thought we were finished with that deal, Princess.”

“I’m making an offer for a new deal: help me, and I’ll make sure you can take her to The Iridescent on a night of your choice. I’ll even take care of the bill.”

Oh, my. That is a tempting offer. Now, will the colt take it?

Stout’s ears perked up, a smile spread across his muzzle. “You’d do that just for my advice?” he asked, as if unsure.

Shining watched as Cadence nodded. “I’ll take what I can at this point. Especially since what I’ve been doing…” She closed her eyes and let out a breath through her nose. “Well, it’s not worked out well for Shining and me.”

No kidding. He frowned, memories of the past several days flashing through his mind.

“Er, in fairness,” Stout said, cringing visibly, “you’ve not been in a very enviable position.”

That, my friend, is the biggest understatement you could’ve come up with,” Cadence said, giving a snort of laughter. “Care to trade places?”

Stout Heart shook his head and scooted away from her. His horn wreathed in an orange light, he took his helmet aloft in his magic and set it on his head. “I think I’ll stick with guard pony, Princess. It’s far more simple.”

Shining couldn’t help but let out a snort, quickly placing a hoof over his nose and waiting to see if they heard him.

Neither reacted, he was in the clear.

Cadence shook her head and said, “I thought you’d say that.” She faced forward, folding her forehooves in her lap. She heaved a sigh and let her eyes wander, looking up at the sky as she so often did when she was stressed.

Silence hung thick over the group. Shining felt his ears swivel back to lay flat against his scalp, his gaze fell to the grass beneath his hooves.

His blood seemed to turn to ice in his veins. He went back through the past five days, his heart sinking with each time he came to a time he could’ve talked to her. It didn’t have to be much, just a word or two along with something to let her know he wasn’t mad he was just…

Upset? Disappointed? Frustrated?

How could he even begin to narrow down what he’d felt that night? Or the burn beneath his skin each time he thought on it, no matter what he’d been doing at the time?

Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath and held it, just as Cadence taught him. Slowly, he let it out. Relax.

Easier said than done.

“I don’t know what to do.” Shining’s ears flicked at Cadence unwittingly giving voice to his thoughts. “Everything I’ve done so far has just made things worse for both of us.”

He flinched back as if struck, his ears flattening. Shining opened his mouth to speak, but found his voice unwilling to work. Speak up, stupid. That’s your bloody wife there, moping and looking miserable because you’ve been giving her the cold shoulder. He made to move toward her, but his hooves didn’t cooperate. Frowning, he directed a glare toward them. You four aren’t helping.

Unaware of his dilemma, Cadence pressed on. “And I can’t just cast a spell so we both remember just how much we love each other because it doesn’t solve the problem at hoof.”

Shining clenched his eyelids shut, gritting his teeth. He managed to lift a forehoof and tried to fight down the shaking in his leg as he took a step toward her, reaching out with a hoof as if to lay his comforting touch on her shoulder, but he hesitated when she continued.

“I don’t know how to fix this. He’s angry—” Shining let his hoof fall “—the Council is still breathing down my neck, and I don’t have anything to go on.”

Neither did he. Shining set his jaw and took another step forward. But I know where to start.

He took a deep breath and spoke.


“We could just talk,” Shining’s voice sounded from just behind her.

Cadence’s ears perked up. She leapt from her seat—an act Stout Heart scrambled to imitate, with an added salute and a “Sir!”—turned to face him. “Shining, I—” she stopped short, the words died on her lips.

He was still in his polished purple and gold armor, but that was where the image of a proud Royal Guard Captain ended. His eyes held dark circles under them, his mane seemed messy and unkempt, even for his usual styling.

Worst of all were his eyes; half-lidded, full of pain and exhaustion. Shining Armor looked as tired as he had upon coming out of the changeling queen’s thrall.

“Sh-Shining?” She moved around the bench, her knees shook with each step she took. Her ears pinned back under his tired stare. With trembling hoof, she reached up as if to touch his cheek, but stopped just short. “You look exhausted,” she whispered.

He cracked a pained smile. “So I’ve been told.” Almost tentatively, he stepped closer, moving around the bench to stand before her. “You still look beautiful, though.”

Cadence gave a mirthless laugh and shook her head. “I look terrible. And I feel like I’ve been run over by a train.” She let her hoof trace the edges of his cheek, each stress line sent a pain through her chest. “What happened to you?”

“I haven’t been sleeping well. I’ve been… angry. And upset. And confused,” he said, his tone level. With a heavy sigh, he looked down at the grass around his hooves, then looked up to meet her eyes. “I think it’s time we both sat down and got this straightened out.”

His eyes flitted to look over her shoulders, he stayed quiet a moment, then said, “Private.”

“Y-Yes, sir?” Stout Heart stammered, his armor giving a little rattle.

Shining stared at him, quirking a brow. “I recall certain protocols stating that a guard isn’t supposed to sit with the pony they’re guarding while on duty.”

Cadence’s ears perked up, her brows furrowed. “Shining, hold on a minute!” she said. “I asked him to—”

“Cady,” he cut across her, his stern eyes meeting hers. “Stout Heart is your personal guard, but he’s under my command. At least let me finish speaking, please.”

Inhaling sharply, her feathers ruffled and fluffed as if to make herself seem bigger. Happy though she might be to see him and hear his voice, Cadence was not going to have him try pulling rank. Especially when she held a higher status. Scowling, she stood to her full height and stomped her hoof, her eyes bored into his.

Shining Armor didn’t so much as blink at her display. Instead, he simply turned to Stout Heart and continued, “You know what I’m referring to, correct?”

“Yes, sir.” Stout Heart ducked his head in shame. “Sorry, sir.”

“I should have you written up for this, since it’s the second time in as many weeks as we’ve had one of these little lapses.” Cadence’s eyes shot wide open, she made to cut across him again. But he beat her to it. “However, given that you were following your princess’ orders, I think I can let this one slide.”

Cadence blinked, waggling her ears as if to make sure they were still working. She stole a glance to Stout Heart and found that he was in similar state, gaping wide-eyed at Shining as if he’d grown a set of wings.

“S-Sir?”

“You’re fine, Stout,” Shining ordered, the corners of his mouth twitched, curving into a small smile. He cast a sidelong look at Cadence and fixed her with his familiar cheeky grin, one she hadn’t seen in what seemed like ages. “I can look after my wayward wife for a few hours.”

And the blasted thing still made her heart race and her cheeks set aflame. He was being playful again.

Her Shining Armor was back, within easy reach to take in her hooves and wrap her wings around him, never to let go again.

But he couldn’t know how desperate she was to have that. Cadence fixed a coy smile upon her muzzle and turned her head away. “How can you be sure I won’t just teleport away with Stout Heart?” she asked, wrapping her wing around the colt and pulling him close, earning a little squawk of protest. “Maybe I like having him as my guard.”

Shining arched a brow and smirked. His horn flashed pink, a wave of magic washed over her. “You can try if you really want,” he replied. “I’m afraid you’ll join Stout in taking a much needed dip in the palace fountains. That said—” he turned his gaze upon Stout Heart, wrinkling his snout “—take a shower and clean your armor, boy. You’re making my uniform look bad with those scorch marks.”

Stout Heart gave a sheepish grin. “Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. My teleport spell is still a bit rough.”

“Don’t worry about it. I understand.” Shining jerked his head toward the park entrance. “Get out of here, get cleaned up, and get some rest, Stout. You’ve earned it.”

Beaming, Stout Heart snapped a salute. “Thank you, sir!”

Shining shook his head. “No. Thank you, Stout.” He stepped to the side and let the younger stallion trot by, his eyes met Cadence’s again.

They stayed silent a moment. Then, without breaking his gaze, Shining called out, “Oh, Stout?”

Cadence watched as Stout Heart stopped in mid step, turning to look over his shoulder. “Yes, sir?”

“My wife’s offer for dinner at the Iridescent comes with a price.” A mischievous gleam entered his eyes, Shining moved to stand at Cadence’s side, close enough that his warm, eggshell white coat brushed against hers.

She couldn’t help but shiver at the feeling. Five days seemed like an eternity without his warmth.

Placing a hoof on her back, he added his own terms, “You and Tourmaline will be dining with us,” he said.

Did this dork of a stallion just sign us up for a double date with them like it was an order? Cadence gave her tail a merry swish. I love this dork. He is my dork and he’s never escaping me ever again.

The color seemed to drain from Stout’s face as the realization set in. “S-S-Sir?”

“I expect you dressed and groomed well, Private. Friday night at seven. Show up looking like a slob and I’ll be very displeased.” His eyes flashed, his grin changed from mischievous to predatory in an instant. “Don’t disappoint me, boy. Now get your behind back to the palace and cleaned, or I might pick a number and have you run some laps.”

With a horrified squeak, Stout bolted, galloping away as fast as his hooves could carry him.

Cadence threw back her head and laughed, giving Shining a little hip bump. “You’re so terrible,” she scolded without bothering to hide her smile. “That poor colt is going to have nightmares of that track.”

“Then I’m doing my job,” he replied, not even missing a beat. His grin faltered a bit as he turned to stand before her again, his ears drooped low. “So…” He gave an awkward cough and shuffled his hooves against the grass. “We kinda need to talk. A lot.”

Her mirth abated. Cadence nodded in kind. “Yeah.” She sighed and shook her head, giving a mirthless laugh. “Yeah, I think I owe you a better explanation than the one I gave.”

Shining hung his head. “Not nearly as much as I need to listen and give you a proper chance to explain.” His ears drooped lower, he looked more like a naughty foal than a full grown stallion. “And I would really like a chance to talk with you about everything.”

“Everything?” Cadence’s ears twitched.

“Everything,” he repeated. “Foals. The griffons. The Council’s concerns about my—” he closed his eyes and sucked in his lips, drawing in a sharp breath through his nose “—my career,” he said bitterly. Taking another deep breath, he stood to full height again and looked her in the eye, then gestured toward the bench with a wave of his hoof. “Shall we, then?”

Cadence thought a moment, glancing from Shining’s hoof, to the bench, to those deep blue eyes of his.

She bit her lip to hide a smile, but her swishing tail betrayed her. “I was thinking maybe that could wait,” she said, adding, “Just for a little while.”

Shining blinked. “Cady, don’t you think we’ve put this off long enough?”

“Yes, we—I have, but right now, there’s something else I need to take care of.” She stepped closer, nosing against his cheek, then moving to whisper in his ear, “We both look terrible, and exhausted, and I haven’t had you by my side in five days. We’re going home, we’re both taking a bath, and then we’re having dinner together. Somewhere between all that, we can talk. But we’re getting it sorted out tonight, because then we’re going to bed. Together.”

“Cady…” he said, a touch of warning to his tone.

Cadence drew back, her eyes flashing. “Five. Days. Alone,” she said, poking him in the chest with each word. “In a bed that’s much too big for one pony. With you sleeping Celestia knows where in the same palace.” She gripped his breastplate, pulling him in close enough that their lips brushed together. “You’re mine for the rest of the evening, soldier colt. We’ll talk about everything and figure out how to move past it together. And then this evening ends with us in bed together, cuddling, kissing, and, possibly, having sex.” She kissed him deeply, humming as she ran her tongue along his lips, then pulled back to beam at him. “I would like all three, but I’ll settle for the first two. How do you feel?”

Shining gulped, a goofy grin spread across his muzzle. “I, uh, don’t think I have any objections to that.”

“Good!” She stole another kiss, then whispered, “Because I really want all three.”

He coughed and rubbed at the back of his mane. “Right. So. Uh…” He looked away, a light blush colored his cheeks. “No carriage. I guess we’re walking home. Kinda like when we were kids, eh?”

“That’s a nice idea,” she admitted, smirking as a thought came to mind. “But not today. Auntie Celestia may have taught me that patience was a virtue, but I’m quite sure she’d make an exception for something like this.” The cerulean glow of her magic wreathed around her horn as she charged a teleport spell. “Hold on tight.”

Shining blinked. “What are you—” his eyes went wide as it dawned on him. “No! Cady, wait! I wasn’t kidding when I said I—”

In a flash of cerulean, the park vanished. But instead of reappearing in their bathroom, right beside their nice, spacious bath as intended, Cadence found herself perplexed by the sight of bright blue sky and a distinct lack of solid ground beneath her hooves.


Then there was the familiar feeling of falling. A yelp tore from her throat, Cadence unfurled her wings, hoping to at least soften the landing. She got a half of a flap in before she was hit by a rush of cold water and was quickly submerged.

Cadence flailed as she burst through the surface, coughing and sputtering. Her coat was matted against her body, her mane laid flat against her scalp and trailed down her neck. The golden tiara had fallen off during the fall and rested at the bottom of the fountain, glinting in the sunlight.

She ran a hoof down her face, then looked up to find not one, but two stallions in the water with her. Both Shining and Stout sat before her, the latter looking quite pout out as water trickled down from within his helmet.

Stout pushed his helmet back with a hoof, grimacing as water rushed out from within, then looked at both Cadence and Shining. His shoulders slumped.“But I was good!” he complained.

Confused, she turned her attention to Shining Armor, who ducked his head and tried to hide from her gaze.

A familiar look, like a colt caught with his hoof in the cookie jar.

“Shining,” she began, “what did you do?”

He pinned his ears back. “It was just a joke. I didn’t think you’d actually teleport away,” he mumbled, not meeting her eyes.

“What. Did. You. Do?” she repeated, her eyes boring into his head.

Shining sucked in his lips, failing to hide the smile that threatened to spread across his muzzle. “I tried to warn you about the spell, but I couldn’t stop you in time.”

Blinking, Cadence took a moment to think back. He had tried to say something as she cast the spell. Something about him not joking before.

Not joking. Brought about by me casting a teleportation spell. What did he—

It clicked.

Slowly, her jaw dropped. Her nostrils flared as she glared at Shining Armor, comprehension dawning on her at last. “You rerouted my teleport!” she shrieked.

He flinched back, then nodded. “Sorry,” he mumbled. “I just thought we’d kinda patched things up and were back to playing around.” Shining rubbed a hoof against his shoulder, looking up at her with guilt written plain on his face. “You’re mad, aren’t you?”

Cadence closed her eyes and took a deep breath, bringing her hooves up to lay upon his shoulders.

Then she promptly dunked his head beneath the water.


Cadence did her best to contain her laughter as she trotted into the castle, sopping wet and followed by a pair of an equally wet guards.

Water dripped freely down her sides, collecting in small puddles. Her mane and coat clung to her body, her hung heavy as though she’d just stepped out of the shower.

A smile played upon her lips, Cadence stole a half-lidded glance over her shoulder at Shining, who kept his head ducked low and ears flat against his scalp. If not for Stouty being right there, I’d love to see how red I could make him go if I put a little sway in my hips and lifted my tail just a tad.

Later, perhaps. Once they were out of the public access area or in the privacy of their own suite.

Then all bets were off and Shining’s cute backside belonged to her.

As did the rest of him.

Cadence nodded to the castle staff as she passed them by, biting her lip when she caught sight of Prism Shine gaping in muted horror, halting her as she greeted a palace tour guide with a crowd of eager schoolfoals.

With a smirk, Cadence decided to play with her trusted seneschal a bit. She waved. “Hello, little ones!” she called.

Excited gasps and squeaks greeted her in reply. They gave hasty bows and sang back, “Good afternoon, Your Highnesses!”

A couple of them dared to raise their heads, then tilted them to the side, pinning one ear down and pricking the other up. They made as though to speak, but stopped short.

Naturally, Cadence decided to stir the pot. “Oh, don’t mind us! We just thought it might be a nice time to take a dip in the fountain!” She nearly burst out laughing at the way Prism sucked in her lips and gave another wave as she rounded the corridor toward the grand stairs. “Enjoy your tour!”

She’d pay for her mischief later, no doubt. But that was half the fun.

Shining quickened his pace until he was at her side. “Somepony’s feeling perky and mischievous,” he muttered. A sly smile graced his muzzle. “You know she’s gonna come scold us for that.”

Beaming, Cadence turned and pecked his lips. “I know,” she chirped. “That’s why I’m going to tell her that it was all your idea!”

His mouth fell open. He gaped at her a moment in silence, then wrinkled his snout. “You’re terrible.”

“You rerouted my teleport!”

“It was supposed to be a joke! I thought you’d let me cast the spell!”

“U-Um, excuse me, Your Highnesses,” Stout Heart spoke up, drawing their argument to a momentary halt. With a sheepish smile gracing his damp muzzle, he adjusted his helmet, wincing as a trickle of water ran down his cheek. “May I be dismissed so I can, um, shower?”

Shining coughed, his cheeks tinged pink. “Er, yes, Stout. You’re dismissed … again.”

Stout Heart threw a salute, cringing as he hit Shining with a few stray droplets. “Thank you, sir.” He turned and bowed to Cadence. “Have a good evening, Your Highness.”

“You too, Stout.” Cadence drew close and wrapped him in a hug. She kissed his cheek. “Thank you.”

With a heavy blush coloring his cheeks, he bowed again, then scampered off down the corridor, pausing only to step around a gaping Tourmaline in the midst of carrying the laundry.. “Excuse me, Miss Tourmaline!” he yelped as he bounded away.

Well, well! Cadence smirked as she watched Tourmaline stare after Stout with a telltale swishing in her shimmering tail. Somepony likes what she sees in her stallion right now.

She glanced out of the corner of her eye at Shining and licked her lips. Come to think of it, mine could use a bit of attention. Throwing a wing across Shining’s withers, she led him toward the stairs. “Come along, husband,” she purred. “A warm bath for two awaits us.”