• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 4,768 Views, 439 Comments

The Shield's Protector - Carapace



There is nothing he wouldn't do to protect her from harm, nothing he wouldn't do to show his love. But, whether he was Captain of the Guard or Prince of the Crystal Empire, Shining Armor was her stallion, first and foremost. Her beloved.

  • ...
21
 439
 4,768

24. Hoof in Hoof, My Love

Cadence hummed quietly, a contented smile gracing her muzzle as she held Shining in her embrace for the first time in days. His armor had been removed and deposited in on a pair of towels to dry, leaving her free to enjoy his warm, soft coat.

She dipped her wing in the water and cupped her feathers like a bowl to gather a generous amount, then held it over his head to rinse his mane.

Gah!” Shining sputtered, hunching his back and brushing his bangs out of his eyes. “Cady, I’m not a foal, let alone a pegasus foal! I can wash my own mane!”

“Hush,” she replied, nipping his ear. Her smile never abated. “I’m going to enjoy this, and you are going to as well.” Lighting up her horn, Cadence floated a bottle of shampoo over. “And by the state of your mane, I very much doubt you can! Have you even been showering?”

He huffed and mumbled under his breath, but didn’t object further.

Good. He was learning.

Cadence resumed her humming as she squirted a generous amount of shampoo into his mane. She massaged it in, lathering him up and drinking in the pleasant, floral scent. Much better. Trailing a feather along his side, she smiled at the way he squirmed under her ministrations. “Hold still,” she chided.

“Stop tickling and I might,” he retorted. Leaning back to grant her easier access, his eyes shut and a neutral frown gracing his muzzle. “We still need to talk,” Shining said.

“Then let’s talk. Where do you want to start first?”

Shining stayed quiet a moment, his brows furrowed in thought. Sighing, he spoke, “I suppose let’s get the bit about my career out of the way, if that’s alright with you.”

She nodded. “I want us to be happy together; I want you to be happy again.”

“And you know I don’t appreciate having things about my career hidden from me.” As Cadence made to speak, he held up a hoof. “But as I’ve recently been … informed, that’s rather hypocritical of me given that I’ve made habit of not telling you specifics of my training regiment. Especially our runs outside the city.”

Cadence’s hooves stopped in place. “Who told you that?”

He snorted and cracked open an eye to fix her with a sidelong look, a tiny smirk playing upon his lips. “Who else would have the gumption but Prism or one of my officers?” He waggled his ears. “And which of my blockheads has that much insight into your feelings?”

“I suppose that makes sense.” She chuckled. I’ll have to thank her later. Maybe we can bring her along for dinner too. Though it might be awkward if she’s the only pony without a date. “So we’re both wrong, it seems.”

“Yeah.”

Cadence drew in a breath through her nose as she rinsed shampoo out of his mane, thinking while she floated over a bottle of conditioner.

“You know I don’t use that stuff.”

She nipped at his ear. “Your mane is scruffy, and not in your usual style. Not to mention all the knots I could see in it.” Squirting a dollop into his mane, she began to work it in with her hooves. “As for the discussion on your career … I’m torn in multiple directions.”

“Oh?” He flicked an ear at her. “Care to elaborate?”

Cadence took a deep breath and held it a moment, letting it out in a slow sigh. “It’s part of the reason I delayed so long in talking to you about everything. I’m not just the Crystal Princess or Imperial Princess or whatever they call me. I’m your Princess by birthright and by your station. The only ponies who control your career aside from myself are Luna and Celestia. Maybe Twily, but I don’t think she has that authority yet.”

There was a beat of silence, then Shining forced a chuckle. “That’s probably a good thing, or she’d try to force me to take monthly assignments as her aide or something. Or just slip in a reassignment to her castle.”

“Shining, be serious,” she scolded despite the smile that spread across her muzzle.

“Sorry. Just thought I’d lighten the mood a little.” He coughed and rubbed at his mane, his hoof brushed against hers. “I’ve been rather cold toward you lately, and I feel bad about it.” Shifting in place, he spoke, “So, what’s the other side?”

Cadence rinsed out his mane and brushed it away from his eyes. She wrinkled her snout, considering how best to word her reply.

There was no other way than blunt honesty. It had been long enough.

She sighed and hung her head a little. “Do you remember when you first joined the Royal Guard? How Auntie Celestia pulled us aside and told us how happy she was that we were seeing one another, but warned us about how my position might complicate our relationship if something ever came up like … well, this.”

“Sure I do. What’s that got to do with—oh.” Water sloshed in the tub as he turned to face her. “So, when you say torn, you mean—oh, gosh, Cady! Why didn’t you just tell me?”

“Because I wanted to find a way to break it to you gently.” Cadence folded her wings at her sides and kept her eyes downcast. “I asked Twily because I thought she could help me put the pieces together myself and figure out how I could both appease you and be mindful of the Council’s concerns.” She snorted. “Fat lot of good that did.”

A hoof cupped her chin and gently lifted until she was forced to meet his gaze. Deep blue eyes bored into her, showing concern.

“I appreciate the thought. At least, now I do,” he said. “I’m still a bit hurt that you didn’t tell me, but I know we can move past that and find a way to make things right. We’ve done it before, and we can do it again.”

His hoof dropped from her cheek to her shoulder, Shining pulled her into a hug that she readily returned. “I’m guessing you don’t want to completely discount their concerns?”

Cadence nodded.

“I thought as much.”

“They’re representing the concerns of the ponies in their districts—our subjects, Shiny. We can’t just ignore them when they bring a legitimate issue before us, even if it’s something close to home.”

A low grumble sounded from the back of his throat. “On a personal level, I don’t like that my career is now subject to public opinion.” He drew back and held her at hoof’s length. “But I guess we wouldn’t exactly be good rulers if we didn’t take that into account, would we?”

She just shook her head, earning a sigh from Shining.

He ran a hoof through his dampened mane and closed his eyes, his brows furrowed again. Heaving a sigh, he said, “For a minute, can you pretend we’re not married?”

Cadence blinked, pinning one ear against her scalp and perking the other up. She made to speak, but he covered her mouth with a hoof.

“I need you to talk to me like Celestia would. Right now, I’m just you’re Captain of the Guard, and you—” Shining sucked in a sharp breath and cringed “—you have to be my Princess.”

Her breath caught in her throat. Cadence’s ears drooped. “Shiny—”

Shining opened his eyes to meet her gaze. “Please.”

They stayed silent a moment. Those brilliant blue eyes bored into her.

How can I say no?

“Speaking objectively as Crown Princess of the Crystal Empire,” she began, “I cannot deny that the Council of Shards has brought a legitimate point to my attention. As Captain of the Royal Guard, as well as the newly reformed Imperial Guard, and as our top military strategist, you are too valuable to lose on the frontline in the unfortunate event of conflict. Furthermore, your raw magical ability and prowess with shield magic is too important to the defense of the lone remaining city of the Crystal Empire. Simply put, losing you would be a catastrophe.”

Before he could say anything, she held up a hoof and continued, “But I also can’t ask you to just sit behind a desk, for the exact same reasons. You just … it would be so much easier if you wouldn’t try to be one of the boys again!” Her wings flared, sending water cascading over the side of the tub. “If you would’ve just stayed with how you ran things in Canterlot—routine inspections, observing drills, training in the gym with the officers, and doing administrative work—everything would’ve been fine!”

Her chest heaved. Cadence shut her eyes tight and tried to calm herself, but everything came rushing out. All those emotions she’d been bottling up for so long, all the stress she’d hidden from him.

Once unbound, she just couldn’t stop. Tears stung her eyes. She wiped a hoof across her face to chase them away before they could fall. “I don’t want you confined or just put in a ceremonial role or just retire,” she said, her voice cracked as she looked at Shining again. “I want you to be happy! I want you to protect ponies just like you’ve always loved doing! But I want you safe, and I can’t pretend that I’m okay with you running off into that stupid forest if you’re going to be lazy in shielding yourself from a bear!”

Shining pinned his ears flat against his scalp. “I did say I wouldn’t do that again.”

Cadence fixed him with a stern glare but didn’t say a word, drawing a flinch and a downward look.

“Point taken,” he said. Sighing, he rubbed his shoulder. “You know I don’t like the idea of being chained to a desk. Being a guard and training recruits is what I love doing. I don’t know if I could just … stop.”

“I’m not asking you to stop. Just …” she trailed off. Cadence placed her hooves on his shoulders. “Can’t you just slow down a little? At least stay off those training runs, you don’t need to be going outside the walls like that unless it’s just surveying defenses and terrain.”

Shining wrinkled his snout, but nodded. “I suppose I could. But I still want to train the recruits.” He reached up to touch one of her hooves and gave a comforting squeeze. “Sometimes, at least. I need to know we can get this batch trained right so they have a good image.”

Smiling, Cadence nodded in turn. “I don’t think the Council would object to that.” Her smile turned to a smirk, she leaned in to nuzzle his nose. “But I think they might have a problem if you keep letting Twinkle send you tumbling!”

“Ha ha,” he deadpanned. “I’ll have you know I’ve been getting myself in back into my training regiment since then. I was floating weights when Prism came to get me.”

“Good to know.” She tussled his mane, nickering when he brushed her hoof away and snorted. “Now, now, don’t be grumpy!”

With a roll of his eyes, Shining lit his horn and floated the bottle of shampoo over, motioning with a hoof for her to turn around. “I’ll be grumpy if I want,” he retorted.

Cadence unfurled her wings and scooped up some water to wet her mane, then leaned back to grant Shining easy access to begin massaging and lathering her.

She let her eyes flutter shut, she swished her soaking tail as a hum sounded from the back of her throat. His hooves were, as always, surprisingly gentle. Like he was trying to handle something delicate and precious beyond compare.

Me. Cadence fluffed her feathers. All was right again in her happy little world.

“We still need somepony to take up a leadership role if I’m going to start stepping back,” Shining said. “I’ve spoken to Windy and Hoofy about whether or not they’d like to stay, and asked that they float the question to the rest of the unit.”

She flicked an ear toward him. “What did they say?”

“I have two officers, at least. Still waiting to hear what the rest say, but it’s a start.” He chuckled. “I’d wager Valiance and Honeysuckle volunteer to stay, since they’ve got themselves all settled in. And Stout’s bound to stay with them through thick and thin.”

“His new relationship with Tourmie might add a little incentive to that.”

His hooves halted work for a moment as Shining let out a snerk. He nosed into her mane despite the suds. “So the love web remains intact, eh? Or is it more of a love strand right now?”

Cadence let out a laugh. “Until I can cozy up to a few of the single stallions in your guard and get them to talk about what they look for in a special somepony, yes. Or Prism, really.” She pouted. “Prism needs a pony but she keeps running off whenever I bring it up. She’s no fun.”

“I’m sure you’ll find some way to canoodle her into giving it a shot.”

There was a tinkling of magic, then water cascaded down on her head. Cadence snorted to blow it away from her nose. “Perhaps. But back on topic, it’s good that you asked before just assigning them here permanently. As well as the rest of the unit.” She thought a moment, then added, “Would I be right in assuming you’re going to try to groom Lighthoof for a promotion or some sort of field command?”

“Him and Windy,” Shining corrected. “I have to run that by them as well, and I have to figure out how I’m going to maintain my authority over them since I can’t just promote myself.” With a sigh, he levitated the conditioner over and began working it into her mane. “At very least, I’m going to have to talk to them about putting a bit more on them as I step back from certain things. It’s going to be a rather slow transition, I’m afraid.” He paused. “Do you think you can keep the Council off my tail long enough?”

She thought for a moment, wrinkling her snout. “They might argue that you’ve had plenty of time to make the transition if you were going to, but I can deal with them. They can only advise, they can’t force you out.”

“But they can make things difficult on you.”

True, the Council would certainly take issue with yet another delay. No doubt Clear Cut would make a bit of a fuss before he reminded her the logical reasoning behind their request.

Though, I suppose I can’t fault him for looking out for his constituents’ wishes. Or the security of the Crystal Throne. If anything, he was exactly what both Shining and she needed: a counterbalance to bring them to hoof when their personal desires might not match the needs of the Empire. Of course, that didn’t mean his tendency to press certain issues or resist changes he found “too radical” wasn’t tiresome at times.

His heated debate with Shining was evidence enough.

Still, Cadence couldn’t deny the feeling of warmth that filled her chest. You’re already trying to protect me again. My knight in Shining Armor.

Fluffing her feathers, she leaned back against him until she could arch her neck and press her cheek against his. “You’re sweet,” she said, pecking his cheek. “But I can handle Clear Cut a little while longer. He’ll complain and say that you should be in transition to retire and take your place at my side, but I think I can appease him with this.” She drew back to fix him with a glare. “If you actually follow through with what we’ve talked about.”

He rolled his eyes, but nodded. “Yes, I’ll step back from a few things. It’s just going to be a gradual change.” With his piece said, Shining nudged her forward. The soft pink glow of his magic reflected off the water as he gathered some into a small bubble and floated it above her head. “Close your eyes.”

Cadence obeyed just in time for him to release his magic. Blowing water away from her mouth, she tossed her mane, cheekily flicking Shining across the muzzle.

“Gee, thanks.”

She stood, water ran down her sides as she lit her horn to float a pair of towels over. Smirking, she tossed one at Shining’s head, draping the other across her back as she stepped out of the tub and began to dry herself off.

“So, we’re in agreement then?” Cadence asked, turning to look over her shoulder as she toweled off her backside. A smirk played upon her lips when she noticed his eyes wandering. She lifted her tail, her smirk grew as she watched him suck in a breath, his eyes wide as he watched her dry her thighs. Still so fun to tease. “You’ll step back a little and I’ll handle the Council.”

Shining blinked and shook his head as if to clear it. “Uh, yeah,” he said, standing and exiting the tub to join her. He wrinkled his snout, a frown marred his face. “I still don’t like that you’re going to have to fight with them about this. It feels like we’ve just gone right back to where we started.”

“I’m sure they’ll say the same. Until I explain your reasoning, that is. And as long as we stick to it, everything will work itself out.” I hope. She offered a smile, then added, “It’ll also give you some time to prepare for Lord Alfons, and help teach me how to negotiate with griffons.”

“Speaking of Alfons,” Shining said, pricking up his ears. “Prism told me that he sent a reply to our request. I had her save it for later, so it’s probably on your desk.” He paused a moment while he dried his muzzle, then added, “We should look that over together.”

“We can do that while we eat.”

“Heh. Keeping us on track for your bath, dinner, cuddle plan, eh?”

“You bet your sweet—and quite deliciously taut—backside I am, Shining Armor!” Lighting her horn, she slipped her magic into his field and wrested control of the towel away, looping it around his neck to pull him in until they were muzzle to muzzle. “Five days,” she reminded him.

He gave a sheepish grin. “Right. I’ll read it to you over dinner, then.”

Beaming, Cadence released her hold on his towel and finished drying herself. Then she stepped over to his armor, taking hold of the pieces in her magic, she picked it up with ease and made to take it to his rack just outside the door.

Out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of a paper rectangle sticking to the inside of his breastplate. It looked very much like a business card. Tilting her head to the side, Cadence slipped her magic between the armor and the card, and began to gently peel it off. She bit her tongue between her teeth and furrowed her brows in concentration.

Shining chuckled, drawing a flick of her ear. “What are you doing, Cady?”

She tilted his armor so he could see the inside. “You’ve got this card stuck inside here. Probably when somepony decided to drop us all in the fountain!”

“Or when that somepony’s wife decided to dunk his head beneath the water!” he quipped before trotting over to take a look. His eyes lit up. “Oh! I know what that is!” Shining slipped his magic in with hers and peeled the card off with one quick jerk. He floated it just in front of her snout to show the smeared text. “I ran into Glimmer and a friend of his at the park entrance today. Esalen, if I recall. Fun mare, you’d probably like her.”

“Really?”

Snickering, Shining bobbed his head. “Yeah, she’s a wicked mare, let me tell you. Had him all flustered the moment she walked up, only lost it when he took the chance to play up who I was. But she had him wrapped around her hoof again when I left.”

“Esalen, huh? She sounds like a mare after my own heart,” Cadence said. She glanced over the smudged print on the card, squinting to try and make out the words.

Hearts On Our Hooves Physical Therapy

Where your health and happiness are our mission.

Esalen, Licensed Massage Therapist

Toola Roola, Licensed Yoga Instructor and Professional Gymnast

3039 Azurite Street

Garnet District, Crystal Empire

Postage Code: 19234

Humming to herself, Cadence raised her eyebrows. “Well, their tagline sounds nice enough. Why did she give you this, though?”

“Something about me looking run down, she said. Thought I could use something to help me feel better.”

“Well, you have seen better days, honey.”

He shrugged. “Can’t argue that, but I don’t know if massages are really my thing. You like ‘em, so I figured I’d give it to you. Who knows? It might help you deal with some of the stress.” He gave a wink and added, “You might also be able to add another strand or two to your little love web if you get out a bit more.”

A grin made its way across her muzzle. Cadence bounced on her hooves. “I knew you’d join me someday!” she crooned, planting a wet kiss on his cheek. “I’ll make a shipper out of you yet!”

Shining turned his cheek and gave her a little shove, grinning as he did so. “You get out of here with that! I’m just saying it because that stuff makes you happy, I’ll stick with my armor, office, and combat drills, thank you very much!”

Laughing, Cadence stuck out her tongue, only to shriek when she felt the sting of a dampened towel crack against her backside. Seeing Shining ready for another strike, she fled from the bathroom and tried to use his armor as a shield against his next assault as he bounded after her.


If he were to be entirely honest with himself, Shining couldn’t deny that he felt a bit more whole.

It was troubling to know just how much Cadence still worried about him, but not without justification on her part. His career put him at risk by its very nature, so it was only natural that she go through some of the stress of a military wife.

Combine it with her duties as a Royal in Canterlot, and it added to what she had to think about on a day to day basis.

Didn’t get any easier when we made the move here. Or after the changelings’ Queen tried to have her way with me. A shudder ran down his spine. Shining shook his head as though to rid himself of the memories of nights spent with his wife’s doppelgänger wrapped in his hooves, stealing the kisses and affection meant only for her. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

A paper ball bounced off his snout. Shining blinked and looked across the small two-seater table at Cadence. “What was that for?”

“You’re staring off into space,” she replied, a teasing grin playing upon her lips. “Such a short attention span! Maybe I need to make sure you’re doing paperwork when you make the move back to the office, hmm?”

He rolled his eyes. “You’re a regular comedian. Where did you even get that from?”

Grinning, she pointed at the letter resting to his right. “I took it out of the envelope and slid it over for you to read. You didn’t, so I threw the envelope.”

“Like I said, a comedian. And no, I don’t need you to watch over me while I work. I was just thinking.”

Cadence perked her ears up. “What about?”

Shining shrugged. “Stuff we’ve talked about mostly. Kinda going through and organizing it all for myself.” He gave a low grumble and poked his fork forward until it was level with the end of his knife. “A small part of me is gonna miss doing those runs and normal guard stuff.”

“I know.” Her ears swiveled back to lay against her scalp. Cadence ducked her head and gave a weak smile. “But I’ll feel more comfortable. And I’ll really appreciate knowing that you’re safe and doing other things you really like.”

“And paperwork,” he added.

“And paperwork, yes.” She fidgeted in place, her wings began to unfurl and wrap around her front. “I know it’s not what you really want, but I think it’ll be better in the long run. Personally and professionally speaking, you shouldn’t be doing patrol runs outside the walls anymore.”

Can’t really argue that one. Shining sucked in a breath through his teeth and cocked his head. “Well, those I can back off quite easily. As for the hooves on training, that’s another story right now.”

Cadence sighed in relief. “I know. But that’s understandable since you’ve been involved from the start, and you’ve got good reason to want to see it all the way through.” She brought her hooves to her chest, her smile returned. “I really do know how much you’d rather do, well, everything on top of your officer duties, but I appreciate it. And I know the Council will come around eventually.”

Shining flicked his ear, but nodded.

His eyes flitted to the letter, then to his empty plate. The kitchen staff was a bit behind on dinner, so he’d just have to read Alfons’ reply early.

Slight alteration to the plan, but not that big a deal. If anything, they could just enjoy their meal without that hanging over them.

Taking it in his magic, he unfolded the letter, a smile tugged at his lips when he noticed the heavy ink and deliberate strokes of his longtime friend’s quill. Still writing his own letters, even with the Territories’ best translators at his beck and call.

Shining looked back at Cadence, then gestured to the letter hovering before him. “Ready for me to start?” he asked.

She perked up her ears and nodded, settling into her seat and waving him on. “Go right ahead.”

He cleared his throat and began to read aloud. “To Their Royal Highnesses, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and—oh, come on!” Shining brought a hoof up to massage his forehead. “Not this load of crabapples again!”

Across the table, Cadence’s ear flicked. “What’s wrong?”

“Just … just promise not to laugh. When I was in the Territories, Alfons had me spar with a few of his soldiers.” With a sigh, he gestured to the letter. “He stuck me with a title and uses it as often as he can, even though he knows it annoys me.”

To Their Royal Highnesses, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Strahlende Rüstung den großartigen Schild, Captain of the Royal Guard:

It brings me great joy to hear from you, Strahlende Rüstung. I hope that you and your lovely wife have been well since ascending to the Crystal Throne. From my own experience, I know how troublesome the initial transition into ruling can be, especially on a young couple. As Equestria and the United Griffon Territories have been allies for over a hundred years, I see no reason not to extend the same treatment to the Crystal Empire, especially given that it is an Equestrian Protectorate and under the rule of one who has earned my respect in combat. If it is agreeable, I would like to extend the offer to formalize this at your proposed meeting.

With that said, I have looked over your trade and research proposition with my advisors. We find the offer intriguing, but I would like to first see what Princess Twilight Sprakle’s research up to this point have yielded. Certainly, your crystals would have great value for our craftworkers, but beyond that, I’m not not entirely sure about their worth. Would it be acceptable for us to bring one of our researchers along to this meeting to listen to her findings? I, personally, see no reason why we could not at least entertain the possibility of a trade agreement between our nations.

On the subject of when, I would like to ensure that we aren’t so pressed for time that we feel rushed to a decision. That way, both of our nations’ citizens reap the most benefit of our negotiations. And, again on a personal note, I think my wife, Helga, our newly hatched son, Adalric, and I would enjoy a visit to your fair city. How does the first week of Autumn sound for you, old friend?

Give my love to Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, and Helga’s as well.

Good fortune to you, Strahlende Rüstung den großartigen Schild. I look forward to seeing you again.

Sincerely,

Alfons, Lord of the Griffon Territories

Shining stopped reading and lowered the letter. “Well,” he said, smiling broadly. “Not quite sold, but we’ve got a hoof in the door. Think we can host a delegation of griffons in Autumn?”

“I’m quite sure we can prepare ourselves for them with that much notice.”

“Great! So we can send a reply tomorrow, then?”

Beaming, Cadence nodded. “I’ll call a meeting with the Council straight away, and Prism can help me begin preparations.” Then she raised a brow and leaned forward, her smile changed to a sly smirk. “So … ‘Shining Armor of the Great Shield,’ huh?”

He rubbed the back of his head and ducked his head, giving a wobbly smile. “There’s a, uh, funny story about that, actually. But I’m sure you don’t wanna hear something as boring as that.” Shining made to stand, but found himself pressed down as though a heavy weight had fallen upon his shoulders. The tinkling of magic tickled at his ears, the hair on the back of his neck stood on end.

Across the table, Cadence sat with her hooves steepled. Her eyes shone with mischievous intent. “Now, Shiny, don’t you know it’s rude to leave a lady wanting for such pertinent information. Especially when it concerns her beloved husband. However—” she shrugged. “—if you don’t want to tell me about that, you don’t have to.”

Shining blinked. “I don’t?”

“You don’t.”

The pair held their gaze, neither daring to look away.

“Okay, I’ll bite,” he said. “What’s the catch?”

Her magic’s weight on his shoulders vanished. Cadence shrugged and let her smile fall, giving an innocent little pout. “Oh, just a little something we neglected to mention so far in our conversation. If you think you’re up for a serious talk of a different nature, that is.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Y’know, if you’re trying to be subtle about wanting to chat, you’re doing about as well as a yak in the fine china closet.”

A visible shudder ran down Cadence’s spine. “Don’t even joke about that!”

“Yeah, sorry, that’s a bit over the line.” Shining scratched his ear with the edge of his hoof. “So what’d we forget to discuss?”

Cadence closed her eyes and took a deep breath, bringing a hoof to her chest, she held it a moment.

Her stress relief exercise? Shining laid one ear flat and perked the other up. “Something else bothering you?”

She exhaled, then met his gaze.

“I want to talk about having foals.”