• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 4,779 Views, 439 Comments

The Shield's Protector - Carapace



There is nothing he wouldn't do to protect her from harm, nothing he wouldn't do to show his love. But, whether he was Captain of the Guard or Prince of the Crystal Empire, Shining Armor was her stallion, first and foremost. Her beloved.

  • ...
21
 439
 4,779

3. Storms on Distant Plains

Shining Armor shifted about, his mind slowly working itself out of its haze as he awoke. He hummed, letting Cadence’s feathers tickle his side. In response, her wing wrapped tighter around him and her hoof squeezed him against her barrel.

Ah, being difficult this morning, Cady? Snorting, Shining began the laborious process of untangling himself from his wife—not an easy feat, given her strength and nature. Escaping the warm, loving embrace of the Princess of Love was like quicksand: the more he fought, the tighter she would squeeze, liberally adding nuzzles, kisses, and whispering sweet nothings to tempt him to give in and surrender to his beloved.

Still, he had to at least try to make his escape, no matter how much he’d prefer staying in bed a few more minutes. Or even a couple hours. Or… Shining shook his head. No, bad. Save that for later, for tonight. If you don’t get up, you’ll never get started, which means you won’t make that appointment at the hospital, and you know Cady will be more upset at that than anything. And besides—he turned to glance over his shoulder, watching her chest rise and fall—she needs her sleep.

Shining shifted his weight, wincing as pain shot up his left side. With each wriggle, each movement, his ribs burned, protesting vehemently against his wishes. Little by little, he managed to shift along, inching his way out from under her hoof. He sat up slowly, keeping a hoof pressed against the mattress so Cadence wouldn’t notice the sudden change.

Cadence sighed and nuzzled into the pillow where his head had been. Shining froze in place, holding his breath. Her feathers brushed lightly against him again as she subconsciously tried to draw him closerhe bit his bottom lip, pulling his tail away from her legs, lest it brush up against her as he moved.

For a moment, he stayed perfectly still. Shining Armor took a deep breath, pricking his ears up to listen out for any change in his wife’s breathing or any hint that she might notice the lack of warm body in her reach.

Nothing. Cadence slept on, mumbling along with whatever dream her mind had conjured for her.

Letting out a light sigh, he slowly lifted his hoof, easing up on the weight he put on the mattress. Shining waited, with his hoof still pressing down lightly, just in case she noticed.

“Shiny…” she murmured sleepily, a small smile gracing her beautiful face.

He grinned and gave into the sudden urge to lean forward and kiss her forehead, lingering a moment to savor a little extra time with his wife. As he drew back, Shining made to slide his hoof under Cadence’s wing, turning his gaze to the offending appendage.

Without warning, her wing shifted, suddenly wrapping around his midsection and knocking him off balance. Shining flailed his hooves, trying to keep from falling back, but a pair of hooves latched onto him and pulled him down.

Cadence pressed up against him, bringing her muzzle to his ear. “Good morning.” She hummed, pressing her lips into the crook of his neck.

“Heh, good morning, Cady.” Shining replied, patting her foreleg with a hoof. “I was just gonna—“

“No you’re not.” Her grip tightened, a wing trailed up his side to hold him down around his chest. Shining could feel her lips against his neck, curving up into a teasing smile.“You’re staying right here with me, Shiny-winy!”

His cheeks heated up. “C-Cady!” Shining yelped, blanching at the use of that old nickname. “What if somepony hears?”

“Then they’ll hear me telling my big, strong, handsome husband all the reasons he should stay in bed with his sweet, loving wife.” Cadence nuzzled him, peppering his cheek with soft, fluffy kisses.

Shining tried in vain to fight back the goofy grin spreading across his muzzle. “Cady, please!” He laughed, squirming against the tickling feathers and nuzzle assault. “We’ve got to get up! You wanted me to get checked out at the hospital again, remember?”

At his words, Cadence paused, hummeding to herself for an instant, before resuming her ministrations. “I could always have them send a doctor to us. Check-up in bed!” She giggled. “And I’m a princess, I’m sure I can get away with one personal day! Just me and my hubby!”

“Uh… honey, you know they’re going to say that examining me in an unsterile environment is against regulation, right?”

“You’re no fun!” Cadence pouted, exaggerated dismay in her voice as her husband shook with silent laughter. “Oh, hush, you!” She cried, lightly biting down on his ear. Cadence huffed, her breath blowing a few strands of his mane out of place, and resumed her grip, laying her head down on his shoulder. “Still, I’m not ready to get up. You’re comfy! And warm! And mine!”

“Can’t argue with any of that!” He nodded, rubbing his cheek against hers. With a sigh, Shining let his head lay against his pillow, puffing out a short breath through his nose. Looks like we’re playing her favorite game again. “All right, name your terms.”

“Oho, you don’t want me to name terms, Shiny. You know better.” He shuddered as her breath tickled his ear, her lips ghosting over the tip. “Think of this as your attempt at a treaty, Captain Armor. What are you willing to concede?”

Ah, yeah, she’s in playful Cady mood today. Better than angry momma pegasus, though. Shining wracked his brain, running through a list of things that might appease his ever-affectionate wife. “Well, how about I stick around through court today? I’m sure Wind Runner and Cirrus can handle the trainees for a day or two.”

Cadence hummed in approval and kissed his cheek. “Go on…”

“Hmm, what about dinner? We could go out, maybe check out that place on Quartz Street.” Hearing a gasp, he smirked. Gotcha, Cady!

“Jacaré’s Iridescent?” Cadence squealed, her tail swished against his leg. “Oooh! I’ve wanted to go there for—“ She trailed off, clearing her throat and adjusting her tone to something a bit more level. “Ahem. Not bad, Captain, not bad at all.” Another peck on the cheek, this time lingering a bit longer.

“Well,” he said, shifting his hooves so he had a bit more leverage on the mattress, “how about a little dancing? We haven’t done that in a while and I hear they’ve got a nice little section out on the balcony; lit with glowstones, and crawling quartz flowers spiraling up the columns.”

“Hmm, what kind of music do they have?” She asked, a hint of suspicion tinging her voice.

Oh, ye of little faith! “I’ve heard they have a rather talented string quartet that plays those nice, slow, romantic songs you love so much.” Shining bent his left hind leg, setting his hoof against the mattress, his smile widening into a full-blown, mischievous grin. He pressed his cheek up against Cadence’s, rubbing softly. “How’s that sound?”

“Oh, yes, sounds like my kind of place!” She replied, snuggling up against him. “So, are those your final terms, oh, Captain of mine?”

“Well, I did have one or two other things in mind!” As soon as the last word left his mouth, Shining Armor shoved against the mattress, rolling Cadence and himself over and twisting so that he was looking down at his now pinned wife.

She squeaked in protest, flailing her hooves in vain as she tried to push against him. But to no avail! Shining held her fast, using his weight and leverage to his advantage.

“What’s this? It seems the tables have turned, oh, Princess of Love!” he whispered huskily. Shining bumped his nose up against Cadence’s, shooting her a wink before pecking her snout.

“Shiny!” She laughed, playfully beating a hoof against his shoulder. “Let me go, you goofball!”

“Goofball, eh? But I haven’t given you the last part of my offer yet!” Shining leaned in to whisper a few quick words in her ear. After a moment, he drew back, openly grinning at the bright blush that graced her muzzle. “So,” he laughed, quickly darting forward to lick her snout, “do you agree to my terms, Princess?”

Cadence looked up eyes wide and a goofy smile upon her face. “Y-Yes, Captain Armor. I think those terms are… wonderful!” She purred, drawing out the last word as she released her hold.

Heh, still got it. Though… wait a minute. He stayed still, keeping his weight on Cadence’s shoulders as he regarded her through narrowed eyes. There’s something about that smile... “You were awake before me, weren’t you?” Her shameless grin and twinkling eyes were answer enough. Shining groaned and flopped back onto his side of the bed. “You tricked me!”

“Yup!” She chirped, happily swinging her legs over and landing nimbly on her hooves. “Come on, Shiny! We’ve got a whole day ahead of us! A trip to the hospital, court, and then,” she broke off, giggling to herself, “a night with my Shining Armor!”

“Is it too late to take a sick day?” Shining grumbled into the pillow.

“Afraid so! Come on, up, up, up!” A hoof poked at his shoulder with each repetition. Shining lifted his head just enough to give a mock glare. “Oh, don’t you try to give me the ‘scary Captain glare’, mister! I’ve seen your foal picture album. In fact,” Cadence brought her hoof to her chin, a smirk playing upon her lips, “I’m pretty sure that I’ve got a few of those pictures of you with Mister Fuzzums laying around…”

Sighing, he pushed himself up. “All right, all right, I get it. I’m up.” Note to self: send mom a letter asking exactly which of those pictures she gave Cady. His mouth set into a frown as he shook his head. Who am I kidding? She probably gave her all of them.

Shining slipped out of bed, wincing a bit at the pain that shot through his flank when he stretched his leg. He bit the inside of his cheek, slowly testing out his leg by putting weight on it. Fortunately, it wasn’t so bad that walking would be unbearable, just enough that it would be a nuisance. Best not let Cady hear that, or I’ll get another earful about how I should’ve just gone all out on that bear. He grimaced, the image of the large grizzly looming over him fresh in his mind. Sighing, he gave a mental nod to Cadence, and Gentle Touch, for that matter. In all honesty, I probably should’ve at least thrown up a level two shield on first try, instead of that flimsy level one. Ruddy thing got shredded like paper…

“Hello? Equestria to Shining Armor!” Shining blinked as a pink hoof was waved in front of his muzzle, shaking his head quickly and looking into his wife’s eyes. “Are you feeling okay? You blanked out for a bit.”

“Oh, sorry, just got lost in thought.” He grinned and quickly stole a kiss, chuckling at the sudden squeak that escaped her lips. “Well, come on, like you said, full day ahead.” Shining trotted out the door, with Cadence trailing after, and into their shared bathroom.

When looking at the couple’s respective sides of the counter, Shining Armor’s was almost comically plain. A brush for his mane, another for his coat, a toothbrush, some shampoo, and a bottle of painkillers for his aching joints were all he needed.

Cadence, on the other hoof, had a very lavish setup. Brushes for her mane, tail, and coat; her toothbrush and toothpaste; a full box of makeup; a plethora of perfume bottles, tall, short, round, oblong, and a rainbow of colors. Despite the presence of several palace servants, who all insisted that they could take care of such purchases, Shining would make it a point to go out and buy them himself. He knew what his mare liked, which scents were her favorite standbys and which new samples she would delight in wearing. It was a small gesture of his affection, one she appreciated even though it was a mere drop in the bucket for their finances.

To the physical embodiment of love, the little things always mattered.

Taking her seat in front of her side, Cadence took hold of the fine-bristled coat brush in her magic and floated it in front of Shining. “Brush me?”

Without question, he took hold of the brush and ran it through her coat, smiling and shaking his head. Taking advantage of my being here already, like when we got engaged. But, to be completely fair, Shining couldn’t really complain. Sitting close to his wife, slowly running a brush through her gorgeous pink coat, was where he belonged. Always at her side, both in and out of armor.

A bump to his shoulder jolted him back into the real world. “Hey,” she scolded, grinning teasingly, “you gonna brush me or are you gonna stare?”

Shining Armor snickered and resumed brushing. “I can’t do both? I mean, can you blame me?” He leered playfully, wrapping his hooves around her shoulders. Leaning forward he whispered into her ear. “I do have the perfect mare sitting right in front of me!” His snickers gave way to full-blown laughter as he caught sight of he blush in the mirror. Always a treat when I can make Cady blush for a change!

His small victory in hoof, Shining submitted himself to his beloved’s whims. Anything to make her happy and stress free, even if it was only for a bit.


Watching Cadence drum her hooves on the side of her chair, pausing only to glance up at the clock, Shining Armor suppressed a grin. “You know, the more you look at that thing, the longer it’s gonna feel like.” She stopped, slowly turning to fix him with a deadpan stare. He returned her gaze with a look of complete innocence. “At least,” he began, fighting the urge to laugh, “that’s what my soldiers tell me when I run them through morning drills.”

“Oh, hush, you!” she replied, rolling her eyes and reaching over to where he sat on the bed, lightly smacking him over the head with a wing. “This is taking far too long! Where is that doctor?”

“To be fair, we did spring this on them at the last minute, honey. They can’t just forget their other patients because we walked in.”

Cadence huffed and crossed her hooves over her chest. “I know. But that doesn’t mean it should take this long! You’re a prince, their prince, mind you! And the Captain of the Imperial Guard now! That should at least give you some priority!”

“We passed a law preventing prioritization of patients unless it was a serious emergency, remember?” he replied, taking her hoof. “That was your idea: equal treatment of all patients to dispel the last remnants of Sombra’s entitled inner circle.” His reply was met with a round of grumbles, incomprehensible mumbling under his wife’s breath. Grinning, he wrapped his hoof around her withers and hugged her tight, ignoring the jolt of pain in his ribs. “Relax, honey! I’m not dying here! It’s just a little cut!”

“Oh?” She raised an eyebrow. “This from the stallion who stayed up for how many nights when Sombra returned, constantly watching over me, refusing to leave my side even to get himself a drink of water?”

“That’s different. You were exhausting your magic trying to keep him out. I’ve got a little nick on the flank from a bear. Frankly, I got off light.”

She leveled her ears at him. “Do we really want to have that conversation again? About how a captain, whose special talent is shield spells, used a shield so flimsy that a mauling bear tore through it? All because he—how did you say it again?–‘didn’t want to hurt her with the returned force’?” Her eyebrow arched higher, a silent dare to contradict her assessment.

Shining coughed, shifting in his seat and looking elsewhere. Okay, so, not quite out of the woods yet, Shiny. “Eheh, fair enough. I probably should’ve led off with at least a level two”

A sharp intake of breath gave him pause. Cadence grimaced and squeezed her eyes shut, slowly releasing it out through her nose. “Shiny,” she ground out.

Oh, horseapples. His ears pinned back at her tone. “Yes, honey?”

“The next time you use something below a level two outside of a training session, I will make good on my promise to tether you to my side and slap a suppressor on you!”

“Wait, wasn’t it chaining me to our bed—”

“I changed my mind!” She snorted, turning to glare into his eyes. Shining shrunk back, a nervous smile on his face as those brilliant purple eyes bored into his. “Since I have to foalsit you like I did Twily, I’ll just keep you by my side like I had to do with her whenever I took her to the park!”

A knock on the door forestalled any further argument, much to Shining’s eternal gratitude. A mint green aura wreathed the doorknob, slowly turning it and pushing it open. “Sorry to keep you waiting, Your Highnesses.” The doctor, a blue coated unicorn with a snowy white mane, bowed low, his clipboard floating behind him. “There was a rather unfortunate incident with a young filly who cracked her leg, a very serious injury for crystal ponies.”

Cadence gasped, bringing a hoof to her mouth. “Oh, my!” She shifted in place, her ears lay flat against her scalp. “How did that happen?”

“The poor filly was looking up at the glowstones hanging from the buildings and fell down a few steps. She was lucky that it was a short flight, but, well, crystal pony foals aren’t quite as sturdy as adults. Fortunately, there is a spell we can use to help fill the cracks. In the old days, this sort of thing would cripple a crystal pony for life!” He blinked, flinching as if suddenly remembering something. “Oh, forgive me, Your Highnesses! I am Dr. Sure Stitch, I’ll be conducting Prince Armor’s examination this morning. A pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

Shining Armor made to get off the bed and shake hooves, but Sure Stitch held up a hoof. “No, no, My Prince. Please, don’t get up on my account.” He floated the clipboard over to the bed, placing it down near Shining. “So, a gash on your leg from a bear mauling, Prince Armor? I read Dr. Touch’s file on the incident. She said that she stitched and wrapped the injury. Have the stitches been holding?”

“They’ve been holding fine, Dr. Stitch,” Shining replied, flexing it for show. “My wife is a bit worried because I had a bit of pain, so she wants to be sure that it isn’t too deep.”

“Fair enough, I know a diagnostic spell that will let me check on a more finite level.”

“Oh, I already did a check of my own!” Cadence put in, raising a hoof. “I didn’t really find much of anything, though. I’m afraid my knowledge of medicine is rather limited…”

Dr. Stitch froze, slowly turning to face her. “You didn’t try to cast any other medical spells, did you, Your Highness?”

Shining had to bite his lip in order to hold back his laughter at the blanch that worked its way across his wife’s lovely face. “Of course not!” She shook her head, sending the curls of her tricolored mane bouncing from side to side. “I learned that back in primary school!”

“Just making sure, My Princess. Sometimes, ponies get a little antsy when their loved ones are concerned; you’ve no idea just how many times I’ve had to undo something silly like a miscast spell on top of the injuries they already had.

Oh, if I weren’t in hot water already. Shining’s tail swished behind him, partially betraying his amusement at the way Cadence’s lips pursed together, almost as though she’d tasted lemon. But, overprotective spousal natures aside, it was time to speak up for his wife, like a good husband.

“Dr. Stitch,” he began, giving an easy smile, “my wife has attended several meetings with her fellow princesses on military and medical matters, not to mention the lectures she took Princess Twilight to. Believe me, she would never try casting anything more than a levitation spell to wrap my bandages.” He paused, directing a cheeky grin to Cadence. “Or maybe something to tweak my ear like a naughty foal!”

Stable Stitch snorted, nodding along. “Somehow, I daresay you might deserve that, My Prince. If this file is anything to go by, that is. Now, all joking aside, on to business.” His horn lit up, his mint green aura engulfing Shining Armor’s leg. “My Prince, I must ask that you try to stay as still as possible while I check your wound. This should only take a moment or two.”

Slowly, the bandages around his leg unwound, exposing the gash and the thin, black twine that bound it together. Shining heard Cadence inhale sharply; a soft ruffling of her feathers as her wing twitched toward him, as if to wrap him up.

Oh, boy, mother pegasus is coming out again. He sighed, holding his hoof out in silent offer, one immediately taken. “It’s fine,” Shining whispered, smiling brightly at her. “See? Sewn up properly, I’m just fine!”

“I know… doesn’t mean I have to like what I see, though,” she grumbled, her tail twitching. Cadence shook her head, mumbling something incomprehensible under her breath before turning back to Dr. Stitch, waiting for him to speak up again.

“Hmm, I see that Dr. Touch’s stitch work is fine—she kept the stitches small, as usual. Quite a feat, considering that she’s an earth pony. Ah, but I’m rambling! You wanted to know how deep it was, fear of aggravating it or reopening, most likely.” Clearing his throat, he focused himself on the spell, squinting at the wound. “Well, from what I’m seeing, it’s rather shallow. My Prince, permit me to ask, did you manage to cast a secondary spell, by chance?”

“Barely managed to get a level three shield up, just enough to divert her claws before she could get too deep on me.” Shining rubbed the back of his head with his free hoof. “Unfortunately, she still tossed me quite a ways…”

“Yes, well, better a couple fractured ribs than… let’s not think of that.” Stitch shook his head, smiling as he canceled his spell. “Well, from what I see, Your Highnesses, the cut has been properly cleaned and sewn, and it’s only been a day, so I doubt you’ve been galloping around in your armor.” He spared a glance to Cadence, smiling cheekily. “And I suspect I have you to thank for that, My Princess?”

A single nod and a smirk in Shining’s direction was all she gave.

“Well, thank the Sisters for that!”

“I am right here, you know.”

“Indeed you are, My Prince! Which is fortunate! I can give you this.” With a flash of his magic, Dr. Stitch levitated a roll of gauze and a white bottle over to Cadence. “You’ll need to apply this salve and change his bandages every evening, My Princess. I’d tell you, My Prince. But—,” there was a twinkle in his eyes “—Gentle Touch talks.”

Shining Armor groaned and brought a hoof up to cover his eyes, dragging it down his face while Cadence snickered at his expense. “Hush, you,” he grumbled, flicking his tail against her shoulder. Turning his gaze back to Dr. Stitch, he nodded. “Thank you, Doctor. I’m sure that my wife will take to this with great gusto.”

“Oh, you have no idea!” Cadence sang, leaning up to peck him on the cheek. “You’ll have your bandages changed like a good colt and like it!”

“Yes, dear.” Not your battle, old boy. A smile and a nod, just like a good husband to his wife.

With another flash of green magic, the gauze levitated and began winding around his leg. Shining winced as it tightened around his thigh, the pain shooting through like a lance. He bit down, forcing a smile so not to attract attention.

It went unnoticed. Dr. Stitch just chuckled, gathering up his file. “Well then, I shall simply reaffirm that you take it slow for the next few days and leave you in her capable hooves. Your Highnesses.” He bowed and slipped out the door, closing it quietly behind him.

Shining gave a silent wave to the departing doctor, addressing his wife out of the corner of his mouth. “You’re going to enjoy this aren’t you?”

The moment her hot breath ghosted over his ear tip a shudder went down his spine. “Playing nurse for my stubborn oaf of a husband? Oh,” she whispered huskily, “you have no idea, Shiny!”


While being the Princess of Love afforded her a very lavish lifestyle, Cadence fancied herself as a rather down-to-earth mare. After all, Auntie Celestia made certain that she wouldn’t think herself above her subjects by sending her to school with other ponies and advising her to take up a foalsitting job to learn patience and socialization.

That being said, the way her Shining Armor blushed and stammered as they trotted out of the hospital and into the carriage had her snickering as soon as Prism Shine closed the door behind them.

“You so cute like that, Shiny!” she cooed, her hooves wrapped tight around his shoulders so he couldn’t try to edge away while she nuzzled his cheek. “Just like when we first started dating!”

Shining goggled. “I am not cute!” he cried indignantly, the deep pink blush on his face doing nothing to help his case. At least, not in her opinion. “Handsome, yes. Cute? Definitely not!”

Cadence laughed, patting his shoulder. “Whatever you say, my sweet Shiny-winy! I have many, many pictures, from your mom’s album and my own, that say otherwise!” A light cough from Prism Shine drew her attention. Cadence blinked and shifted position, rearranging her hooves so that her elbow intertwined with Shining’s. “Sorry, Prism, we’re a bit behind schedule, aren’t we?”

“Yes, though only just.” Prism replied, adjusting her glasses. “Fortunately, I accounted for the wait time and was able to delay court opening today. Though, I took the liberty of dispatching a messenger so that the guards might be prepared to stall a bit longer if we encounter any further setbacks.”

Shining rubbed at the back of his mane, smiling ruefully. “Well, thank Celestia for your quick thinking, Prism. We’d be in deep trouble otherwise!”

“Perhaps, My Prince, but I am simply doing my job. However...” She raised a critical eyebrow. “I should note that it would be much easier if you didn’t worry My Princess with your duties as Captain of the Imperial Guard.”

Before Shining could protest, Cadence cut in. “Thank you, Prism!” she said loudly, patting Shining’s hoof in comfort. “I’m sure Shiny understands.”

A good natured grumble and mock huff, complete with faux turn away and looking out the window in a poor attempt to hide the smirk on his muzzle only confirmed her point. Cadence smiled and shook her head. Stealing a kiss to his cheek, she settled into the plush cushion, listening to the carriage wheels as they trundled along the crystal road up to the palace.

Sunlight glinted off the high, spiraling rooftops. Cadence had to turn her gaze away, squinting in pain. I doubt I will ever get used to that. She sighed and leaned into Shining’s side. Watching Auntie raise and lower the sun was always so beautiful… Shiny, Twily, and I always had so much fun together…

Shaking her head, she channeled her magic, pulling the drapes shut with a flick. She blinked away the bright spots in her eyes, rubbing a hoof across her face. “I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to the glare off the buildings here!”

“Yeah,” Shining sighed, turning back to reveal his own eyes closed tight. “Makes me miss home—er, no offense, Prism. It’s wonderful here, but…”

“I understand entirely, Your Highnesses.” Prism smiled, quirking a brow at them both. “It would be the same if I suddenly moved to Canterlot, I suppose. But, I think you’ll fall in love with our fair city soon enough. In fact—” she paused to toss her sparkling, crystalline mane haughtily “—I’ll wager that you come to love it as if it were your own.”

Cadence fixed a mock scowl upon her muzzle. “Never! Canterlot pride, through and through!” She pumped a hoof, tugging Shining Armor close. “Go Wondercolts!”

To his credit, Shining just grinned. “You’ll have to excuse my wife. She was always the noisy one when we went to watch our high school goofball team—“

“It’s hoofball!” She cried, bopping him lightly on the head. “You are the goofball!”

“Of course. Silly me.” Cadence caught sight of the cheeky grin on his muzzle, prompting another bop on his head. “Ow! Cady, I’m starting to think that you enjoy abusing me!” he whined and stuck out his lip in what was, in her expert opinion, the most pathetic attempt at an imitation of her pout.

Giggling, she stole another kiss, smirking as that faux pout was marred with a blush and tugging up of his lips. Mmm, still so fun to tease, even after all these years!

The carriage came to a halt; Cadence was rocked by the sudden stop. Shining Armor’s familiar pink aura took hold of the knob, twisting it and pushing the door open. “Ladies,” he said, shooting them both an easy grin and bowing, “after you!”

“My husband, the quintessential gentlestallion!” she giggled. “Thank you, kind sir! How chivalrous!”

Shining rolled his eyes, earning himself a tail flick to his nose. “Oh, you’ll pay for that later,” he whispered teasingly, just low enough so only she could hear.

Years of experience flirting with Shining came into play as Cadence stayed silent, simply giving him her most innocent smile, complete with her patented wide-eyed gaze. Predictably, his eyebrows shot up to meet his mane, he chuckled lowly to himself and nodded, mumbling under his breath.

As usual, her beloved was trotting right into her hooves. Not that he wouldn’t love every bit of it once he realized. Cadence would make quite sure of that.

“Prince Armor!” Wind Runner called from above, swooping down and landing just a short distance ahead. He snapped a quick salute to his superior before addressing him. “Sire, I’ve been sent by Lieutenant Lighthoof to give a report on the morning training session. As you requested.”

Cadence raised an eyebrow at her husband and made a show of pricking her ears forward. A silent demand for an explanation.

“Honey, I’m not planning to join the afternoon session!” he began, holding up a hoof to forestall any argument. “I just asked to be kept in the loop while on the mend, no reason to have training delayed while I was being looked at again.”

Sighing, Cadence waved him off with a hoof. “All right, just make it quick! We’re already running late for court!”

Shining returned her order with a quick salute and steely gaze, though with a noticeable twinkle in his eyes. “Yes, My Princess!” he replied loudly, slipping back into his habits from his days as a rank-and-file guard. As he turned and trotted over to Wind Runner, conversing with his subordinate in hushed tones, Cadence let her eyes idly wander over him.

From the bandages on his ribs, to those on his hind leg, to the shield and spark cutie mark on his flank, Cadence looked over her beloved Prince. Going from serious to playful and back again. She smiled wistfully. You great, big colt.

To be specific, her great, big colt.

Her eyes narrowed as a thought occurred to her. Shiny is under enough stress, with his injury and trying to train by proxy now… I can wait a bit longer to have that talk with him. “Prism,” she hissed out of the corner of her mouth. “A word, if you don’t mind.”

“Of course, My Princess!” Her seneschal was at her side, almost as though she could teleport. “How may I be of service?”

“I don’t suppose the Council sent another memo, did they?”

“Er, not that I saw, but I can always double check. Is there a problem?”

Cadence, stayed silent for a moment, her eyes fixed on Shining Armor. “The next time one comes through, check to see if Shiny is with me in court that day. If not, give it to me as usual.”

“Yes, My Princess… but…” Prism followed her gaze, focusing on the Prince of the Crystal Empire. “What if he is with you?”

“Then remove it from your clipboard and give it to me in private. Just not in front of my husband.” Seeing that Shining and Wind Runner were just finishing up, Cadence pasted a small smile on her face, whispering out of the corner of her mouth. “I want to give him some time to get this training done before he deals with the Council.”

The crystal pony raised an eyebrow curiously. “But won’t they approach him directly? It is their right to do so, if they feel the need arises.”

She gave a soft shake of her head. “They won’t. Please send out memos to the members that I would like to meet with them within the next couple of days. I’ll discuss the matter with them myself.”


Cadence did her very best to suppress her laughter as Shining Armor, her beloved Prince and Captain of the Imperial Guard, shifted in the throne beside hers. “Problem, dear?” She asked, feigning innocence.

“No, just,” he broke off, furrowing in brows, “can’t get comfortable in this thing. The cushion isn’t broken in!”

“Oh, my,” she tutted. “Well, perhaps it would be if you spent a bit more time in court with me.” Catching the wince her reply garnered, a smirk played on her lips. “I’m only teasing, you silly foal!” Cadence lightly nudged his shoulder, ignoring the mock glare directed at her.

“Har, har. You’re a real comedian.” He grumbled. Tossing his mane, Shining imitated her patented huff and turn away, only turning back to glance over his shoulder. “Kidding aside, you know why I haven’t been here. And you know very well that I will be here more often when training is over.”

“Yes, yes, I know all that. Though, I won’t lie, I wait impatiently for the day this training is finished up and you’re at my side.” Cadence laid her head on his shoulder, sighing happily. “And I don’t plan on letting you go once that happens!”

“Trapped in the throne room with my lovely wife, eh?” Shining turned, a roguish grin on his muzzle as she beamed back at him. “I could think of worse fates.” He laid his head on hers and closed his eyes. “So, what’s on the docket today? Land disputes? Loans not being paid? Hostile business takeovers and violations of standards and practices?”

Oh, dear, he’s thinking of Canterlot court. I’d best nip that in the bud. “Nothing quite so serious. Not yet, at least.” She sighed, lifting her head off of her husband’s shoulders and giving it a sad shake. “I think… well, remember what you said about the Shining Quarter? When the ponies got scared of those recruits?”

“Yeah, because those bloody greenhorns went in like it was an interrogation. They scattered like we were Sombra’s flunkies taking ponies down to his mines. Why?”

“Well…” Cadence trailed off, chewing her bottom lip as she tried to think of the way to word it. “Let’s just say that I get a bit of a different perspective on it here. You see their fear of the uniform, I see their reverence to the Crown.”

“Huh? Oh, wait. You mean the—“

“Hear ye, hear ye!” Shining was cut off, the pair turned to see Valiance standing proudly at the doorway, with his chest puffed out and his spear held at his side. “The Crystal Court is now in session! Their Imperial Majesties, Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor, presiding!”

The couple sat up straight, each smiling brightly as the doors creaked open. Shining whispered out of the corner of his mouth. “I thought you said you were going to do away with all these old formalities, honey.”

“I’m working on it, dear, but the Council insists that proper respect must be showed to the Crown.” She replied in a matching low tone. “It doesn’t help my case that Auntie Celestia kept it up in Day Court and, well, you know how Auntie Luna is.”

“Well, yeah,” he bobbed his head, the smile on his muzzle growing strained, “that’s true. But, still, do they really have to do the whole thing when they come up?”

A sidelong glance and a swish of her tail. He was doing it again, that old complaint of his. “You know they think so, Shiny.”

“Prism and Tourmaline don’t. Hayseeds, I’ve heard those two gossip and tease with you when court is out of session! Tourmaline even makes those silly comments about how I look in armor in front of you!”

“Yes, they do after seeing us every day since the Crystal Heart was returned. But they needed time, just like the rest do! They’ll see soon enough, dear.” Seeing him sigh and settle into his throne, Cadence leaned back, letting her coat brush against the back of hers.

Just a little time, we’ll make them see there’s nothing to fear. Not anymore. She nodded to Valiance. “Thank you, Corporal. Please send the first petitioner in.”

“At once, Your Majesty.” He bowed and turned to address the ponies standing outside. “Presenting Mister Luminous Ruby, of the Shining Quarter!”

A crystal pony stallion with translucent, ruby coat stepped through the open doors. He trotted with his gaze low, stopping just at the edge of the dais. Luminous bowed, prostrating himself so that his forehead touched the crystalline floor. “Good tidings and praise be unto you, Your Majesties!” He said, his voice carrying throughout the throne room and out to those waiting. “Thank you for seeing this servant of the Empire today, truly it is an honor to stand in your presence.”

Cadence saw Shining Armor stiffen in his throne, his smile straining as he bit the inside of his cheek. Her beloved was doing his best to keep his posture neutral, but the twitch in his tail betrayed him.

Just relax, let it go. She silently pleaded. Sliding her hoof over, Cadence lightly patted his before addressing Luminous. “The Crystal Court is always pleased to see its subjects and hear their interests, my good stallion. Please, rise! What can we do for you today?”

Luminous shifted in place, keeping his eyes locked on the floor. “W-Well, there’s been a bit of an issue with another gem cutter—Erudite is his name.” He paused and glanced toward the pair, his ears pinning back. “Oh, forgive me, Your Majesties! He’s really a fine cutter, and a good pony, too! It’s just that he—ah–he’s taken from my section in the gem mines a few times and, well, I don’t want to start a fight or anything, but I don’t want to lose out on my gems…”

“Have you brought it up with Mister Erudite?” Shining asked.

“Er, I made mention of it once, My Prince. He gave me a funny look and swore up and down that it was on his section. I have the deed to it, but… Erudite’s been my friend since we were foals, and I’m sure he wouldn’t do something like this on purpose! I just don’t want to ruin that…”

Cadence hummed, tapping a hoof against her leg rest. “That does muddy the waters a bit, doesn’t it? He hasn’t been belligerent, has he?”

“No, oh, heavens, no!” Luminous shook his head from side to side, his mane whipping against his face. “He said his piece and just laughed it off, saying it was just a mistake. Oh!” He brought his hoof to his mouth, eyes widening as realization dawned. “He’s going to be upset that I went behind his back—“

“Let us worry about that,” Shining said, cutting across the worried stallion. “If that section of the mines is yours, then it’s your right to see the mistake rectified. With that said, given that this Erudite is a friend, how would you like us to proceed with this? Maybe something simple, like have him come up to the palace for a chat?”

As soon as the words left Shining’s mouth, Cadence had to fight the urge to groan. Oh, he just had to say it like that.

Luminous’s knees shook, nearly failing him as he hastily prostrated himself again. “Please, My Prince! There’s no need for something so drastic! It was only a mistake, just an honest mistake!”

Shining brought a hoof to his head. “Mister Luminous, please. I wasn’t referring to the thinly veiled threats of the old regime; when Princess Cadence or I say ‘a chat’ we literally mean ‘a chat’. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“Honey,” Cadence whispered, “be patient, remember?” She rubbed his hoof, doing her best to soothe his frustration. “You know what he’s thinking—“

Yes, but that doesn’t mean I can’t correct it when it comes up, Cady.”

Slowly, she let out a breath through her nose, counting to ten so that she didn’t let their old argument escalate in front of Luminous. “There are easier ways, Shiny.” She replied, turning to face Luminous, her smile still intact. “Luminous.”

The stallion almost jumped to stand at attention. “Yes, My Princess?”

Time to work a bit on the Crown’s image. “My husband and I are quite sincere when we say that we mean no harm to Mister Erudite. In fact, I would add to his proposal, just a slight alteration, if I might.” She turned to Shining, who nodded, quirking an eyebrow in her direction. “Rather than simply calling Erudite to the palace and laying down the verdict, why don’t we let him speak as well?”

Luminous blinked and tilted his head to the side. “I’m not quite sure I understand…”

“I think my wife is offering to mediate the discussion,” Shining jumped to Cadence’s aid. “Instead of us just taking one side, let us listen to both of you here. Perhaps there’s a compromise you can reach if you talk it out.”

“Just… talking?” He asked, staring as Cadence and Shining Armor nodded in unison. “No dungeons or shackles?”

“No! Nothing of the sort,” Cadence replied, waving him off with a hoof. “We’ll just be here, acting as observers, making a note here or there about possible solutions.” She paused, bringing her hoof to her chin. How to explain it to a pony who lived under Sombra… “Think of us as advisors, Luminous. As mediators, we’ll just be giving you our opinions rather than just taking one side.”

“Additionally,” Shining said, adding to her point, “it’ll allow us to see both points of view so, if you can’t come to an agreement, the two of you can ask us to make a ruling that, hopefully, benefits both of you. How does that sound?”

“Well,” Luminous hemmed, “if it helps solve the problem, I guess I’d like to try.” He chewed his lip, his ears pinning back. “And I do want to be fair to ‘Dite…”

“Why don’t you go discuss it with him again? Show him the documentation that you have and see what you two can come to. If there’s still disagreement or something you want to firm up, we’d be happy to help!”

The gem cutter thought for a moment, his ears slowly unpinned. “I… I think that might actually work!” Luminous beamed and bowed low. “Thank you for your time, Your Majesties! I’ll have a word with ‘Dite and see if we can’t figure this out ourselves!”

“Good to hear, be sure to let us know how it goes with your friend.” Cadence replied. “We wish you the best, Luminous.”

“Thank you, My Princess! And may Celestia’s sun shine upon you this day!” He stood and turned on his hoof, trotting out with his head high and a spring in his step. Luminous paused only to nod to Valiance and Stout Heart, both of whom politely returned the gesture as he passed.

Turning to Shining, Cadence offered a small smile. “Well, one down.”

“Heh, yes. Chalk one up for the home team.” He leaned against her, sighing as they waited for the next petitioner to be led in. “Still,” he continued, his voice tinged with frustration, “he thought I was going to have his friend arrested…”

“It’s just the way you worded it, Shiny, don’t take it too personal.”

“Yes, yes, I know. I need to watch what I say—more than I have been, it seems.” Shining ran a hoof through his mane and slumped against he back of his throne. “Ugh! It feels like I take two steps forward, one back!”

Cadence leaned over, pecking his cheek. “Relax, Shiny!” She cooed. “Just let it go and take better care. They’ll figure us out, we just have to meet them halfway for now. Think like they do.”

He grumbled a bit, but nodded all the same. Cadence shook her head and patted his hoof, whispering sweet nothings into his ear to soothe his ire. As kind and loving a soul as Shining Armor was, that certainly didn’t mean he wasn’t given to a few bouts of temper here and there.

The business with the Crystal Empire had been stressful, to say the least. Recruiting and training a new guard regiment was difficult enough, but adding the weight of his public image, both as Captain and her Prince, only served to make it worse.

Barking orders at recruits and running drills, that’s where you feel comfortable, she eyed Shining Armor, watching as he took a slow, deep breath before pasting a smile on his muzzle. To anypony else, her Prince was happy, ready, and eager to sit in court.

Cadence, on the other hoof, knew better. He wasn’t happy with the way their subjects still recoiled at the slightest misspeaking, or jumped to the worst possible conclusion at the mere presence of a guard.

The sight of a pony in uniform meant bad things in the mind of a crystal pony. Sombra went to great lengths to assure that his reach would be feared as all knowing, inescapable, and without equal, all of which had been drilled into the heads of his subjects.

No, she thought, jaw tightening at the memory. Not his subjects. His ‘crystal slaves’. That arrogant, spiteful, heartless, lout of a stallion!

If there were ever two ponies so opposite as Sombra and her Shining Armor, Cadence would love to meet them. One selfish and oppressive, the other serving his ponies with diligence and honor.

No doubt, Sombra wouldn’t even bother holding court. Sisters, with the reactions she’d seen, anypony other than his inner circle being brought to the palace didn’t enjoy a pleasant stay or chat with their king. Those brought to the palace weren’t seen for weeks if they were lucky, if not…

Cadence banished those thoughts from her mind, the biting taste of bile rose to the back of her throat. We’re a new regime, we will make them see. Her heart and mind set on her goal, she sat upright and motioned to Valiance to bring the next petitioner in. We’ll make them see that we love and care for them, the Crystal Empire is our herd now.

At her side, Shining Armor had resumed his smile, listening as Valiance went through his spiel again, introducing a young couple, the mare a pinkish hued crystal pony and the stallion with her a deep blue. A couple seeking the blessing of their rulers.

Such an old practice, but, for their sake, she kept it, if only to not send the populace into shock with too many sudden changes.

The couple bowed, going through the same routine Luminous had. Shining Armor drew a sharp breath and tensed up again, groaning under his breath as the pair prostrated themselves, touching their heads to the floor.

And, again, Cadence had to take his hoof, rubbing a small circle in it to make him relax and let them go through with it. Soon enough, they’d see it wasn’t necessary to fear the Crown. They’d come to find that those seated on the Crystal Throne loved them all very much.

Though, even with her understanding of the matter, she swished her tail, inwardly wincing with each repetition of the titles, praising her and Shining to high heaven, claiming they were so honored to stand before them.

But that was okay. It would all change soon enough; once the guard had been trained, this incarnation with its presence constant and friendly to those under its protection, the ponies would start to see their intent.

Just a bit more time and it’ll all be just fine. She quickly stole a glance to Shiny, looking out of the corner of her eye so it didn’t seem like she was ignoring the couple. He’ll be safe at my side, the Council will be happy, and our ponies will stop fearing us.

All she needed was to hold her smile a bit longer and wait patiently. Just to buy a little more time, and Cadence was sure she’d have her happily ever after.