• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 4,783 Views, 439 Comments

The Shield's Protector - Carapace



There is nothing he wouldn't do to protect her from harm, nothing he wouldn't do to show his love. But, whether he was Captain of the Guard or Prince of the Crystal Empire, Shining Armor was her stallion, first and foremost. Her beloved.

  • ...
21
 439
 4,783

8. ...But Coming Home is Better

“Line up! Everypony up, NOW!”

The crowd of fifty recruits scrambled over one another to fall in line at the grassy center of the track. They jostled together, yelping and stammering apologies to one another as they tried to get into formation quickly enough to avoid yet another tongue lashing from their temporary commanding officer, the fiery Lieutenant Lighthoof.

“By Princess Luna’s starry mane!” he barked, his tan tail flicking. “If you lot aren’t lined up properly five minutes ago, I will personally break my hoof off in your hindquarters! Move, ponies!”

Only years of practice helped Shining Armor keep an amused smirk off his muzzle. Ever the firebrand, eh, Hoofy? He chuckled inwardly as the Imperial Guard recruits managed to form up into lines, though a couple still had to rearrange themselves into order by proper rank.

Well, ‘proper rank’ only in terms of class standing. As far as these recruits were concerned, they had a long way to go before they’d be up to par with the Royal Guard. But, he did have to admit, despite all their reservations, the crystal ponies certainly made up for their lack of skill with a passion and dedication to their homeland.

Give me an army with heart over one without drive any day. Shining waited for the recruits to stop shuffling around before turning and nodding to Lighthoof.

Lieutenant Wind Runner, the leader of the pegasus division, touched down and led his unit over to join the crowd of crystal ponies, his crystal pegasi filing into their spots with ease.

Lighthoof waited for his fellow Lieutenant to meet his eyes and give a nod, before turning to bark at the assembled group. “ATTEN-SHUN!”

With practiced synchronization, the class stood with their hooves shoulder width apart and held their heads up proud; the picture of honor and dignity that the Imperial Guard once was and—if Shining had his way—would soon be again. All those old texts about the soldiers who stood tall in their gleaming armor, spears and shields at the ready to defend the Empire against the forces of darkness.

The more youthful side of him, that colt from all those years ago who read those tales of valor, could only bounce excitedly as he stepped away from the practice weaponry and marched down the line of recruits. We’ll bring that legacy back to being soon enough.

“Good morning, everypony,” he greeted with a small smile. He flicked his ear at the sound of medals clinking together with each step, his tail swished irritably. Stopping next to Lighthoof, he turned to face his recruits and sighed. “Before we get started, I want to make sure you all understand that this—” Shining nodded to his formal attire “—is not going to be the norm. It’s temporary until my injuries heal up and I can wear my proper attire once again.” Out of the corner of his eye, he noted a trio of recruits wince and pin back their ears at the mention of the bear mauling. Buck up, accidents happen. “I may be your Prince, but I’m a guards pony at heart. When I’m in my armor, I feel at home because I’m a part of a family bound by duty, honor, and commitment. A few of our number have fallen off, either because they realized this wasn’t a good fit or because they weren’t suitable for this line of work, but those of you who remain have proven yourselves every bit as driven as those I trained back in Canterlot.”

Barely hiding grins, the recruits puffed out their chests, the sun gleaming off their crystalline bodies. There it was, the pride that went with serving and protecting one’s own home.

Sadly, he did have to hit them with a bit of reality. “However, it only gets tougher from here. You’ve all come very far since the program started, but there’s a long way to go before you’ll serve alongside these fine soldiers—” he broke off to gesture to Lighthoof and Wind Runner, “—standing before you and those stationed around the city. Follow their example, listen well to their instructions, and give it your all.”

“Yes, sir!” They shouted as one, snapping salutes in practiced unison.

“Very good. Lieutenant Lighthoof, Lieutenant Wind Runner—” the pair snapped to attention at his side, “—get ‘em warmed up and ready to work.”

“Yes, sir!” Lighthoof saluted before turning and howling at the group. “All right, you foals! I want two laps around the track, now! Get those hooves moving, double time!”

Wind Runner strode over to the pegasi and spread his wings wide. “Pegasi, with me! We’ll be taking a flight around the castle grounds. Listen up for commands for banking, diving, and rising—don’t lag or you’ll take an extra lap!” With a mighty flap, he took flight and shot off into the distance, leaving his group scrambling to catch up.

Shining shielded his eyes from the dust, wincing as the wind whipped at his face. “That jerk leads them right past me, every damn time.” He shook his head and trotted over to the sidelines.

Half watching as Lighthoof lead them along, he let his mind wander back to Cadence. A sigh escaped his lips and he swished his tail as the image of her distant stare came to the forefront of his thoughts.

C’mon, honey, what are you hiding from me? To be perfectly frank, it was a bit of a double standard to be so bothered after he’d deliberately hidden a training run from her. But, seeing her in such distress, having to snap her out of whatever daze she’d fallen into...

He shook his head, trying to refocus on the recruits. Tourmaline said she’d try to talk to Cady, that’s all I can ask at this point. Just wait and see. She’ll be able to give me a bit of a hoof in the right direction. At the very least, Tourmaline could offer Cadence a comforting hoof and a good conversation, albeit one that she’d deem ‘mare talk’.

In short, she’d let him know whether or not it was something worth worrying about, details would be kept under wraps unless it was something to do with Cadence’s health. “Like that time she tried holding court when she had the Feather Flu,” Shining chuckled and shook his head. “And Cady says that I don’t know when to call it quits!”

“Cadet Glimmering Shard! Get your plot in gear!” Shining flicked his ear as the sound of Lighthoof howling at the unfortunate recruit reached him. He turned, hiding a sympathetic grin as he noted the hapless colt galloping as fast as his crystal legs could carry him, with the Lieutenant hot on his tail. “Don’t let me pass you, colt, or I’ll have you running around the damn city! Move!”

“Y-Yes, sir!” The recruit, affectionately nicknamed Glimmer, yelped and put on an extra burst of speed, widening the gap between them as best he could.

Shining could only snort and shake his head. At least you’re not full on sprinting this time, you learned that lesson well enough the first week. He glanced up at toward the sky, catching sight of several gleaming crystal bodies chasing after a lone, bleach white pegasus.

The pegasus squad mimicked every move, diving, banking, and looping after their wily Lieutenant as he called out different commands seemingly at random. Banking left and diving hard, Wind Runner brought them low enough that they could reach out and skirt their hooves along the blades of grass before calling out for them to climb and take a hard right.

Good stallion. Make sure they learn to use that maneuverability to their advantage in case they come up against flyers. Memories of the Canterlot squads flitted through his mind; cut up, bruised, battered and utterly exhausted after fending off the invading changelings as best they could. With a shake of his head, he banished the images. They served well that day, far better than me. His sharp blue eyes followed Lieutenant Wind Runner as he lead his recruits on a merry dance.

Just as the Royal Guard on that fateful day, the recruits were in good hooves with the pair of veterans running drills.

It would be a shame when they were recalled back to Canterlot; they were good soldiers, and better role models. I could talk to them about a transfer. He hummed idly as the ground group began their second lap, nodding to Lighthoof as he passed by. Maybe later, though. Once things get further along with training, I’ll ask and see how it might affect their career track.

Rule one about transferring a subordinate: don’t mess with their career track unless they’ve really screwed things up and never pull a fast one on a good officer.

The latter usually ended with qualified soldiers ending up posted at some base in the middle of nowhere or low level desk job rather than out in the field or guarding a city where they belonged. And given that the pair his eyes were currently on had demonstrated no shortage of valor and courage in the face of insurmountable odds, as well as their openness to relocate and train recruits, he owed them that much.

At the very least, they’ll get a recommendation out of this. Princess Celestia will certainly be pleased with how they’ve conducted themselves here. Now, if only I could get Lighthoof to do the dang paperwork. Stepping toward the center of the field, he gave a sharp whistle. “Bring them in!” Hh barked, wincing a bit at the pain shooting through his side. Damn ribs. “Everypony grab a sword.” He nodded to the practice weaponry on the sideline. “Lieutenants, lead them through the basic strike points, then move to call outs. Recruits, use the warm up to refresh your memory on where the main points of attack are located as well as how to defend.”

Twin replies of “Yes, sir!” and the lieutenants rounded up their respective groups, leading them back to form up into lines before him.

“Pay attention and follow along!” Lighthoof called, gesturing to Wind Runner. “Lieutenant Wind Runner will demonstrate, I’ll call out the pattern. Take it slow, get it right! We’re building muscle memory with practice. One!” Wind Runner brought his sword up to parry a slash to his neck; the recruits mimicked the action, deliberately slowing their own motions to practice the act itself.

Shining walked down the line, taking note how each recruit went through the motions of basic sword play. “Control your motions,” he called out. “Remember, keep your movements within easy reach, throwing a wide slash or a wild lunge leaves you open to a counter. Move within the natural range of your body.” He gave a low chuckle as several made noticeable adjustments to the wide, sweeping slashes, bringing them closer to their bodies.

Much better. He nodded, continuing on his way down the line before stopping in front of Glimmer. Shining had to suppress the urge to grimace each time the young recruit lead with his chin as he practiced his lunges. He’s trying, but that just isn’t gonna fly. “Stop.” Shining held up his hoof. “You’re just begging to get clipped, lunging like that.”

“S-Sorry, sir,” Glimmer hung his head, his ears pinning back against his scalp. “I just can’t seem to shake it.”

“It comes with practice. Here,” he held out his hoof, gesturing to the sword, “let me show you.”

With a little yelp, Glimmer bowed his head and offered the handle of his sword. “Of course! Please! I’d be so honored—”

“Glimmer, relax. Training you is my duty, and my honor as well.” Shining grasped the handle and stepped around to stand beside Glimmer. He raised the sword up, taking a ready stance, biting down to suppress a wince as his ribs protested his movement. “Like I said earlier, don’t over-extend yourself. Move within your own range, let your swings come naturally.” With a flick of his hoof, he slashed through the air, sunlight glinting off the blade as he brought it back to guard himself. “Your sword is just an extension of your own reach; one that’s weighted right shouldn’t require you to throw yourself in order to use it properly. And when you thrust, it’s not a lunge.” Quick as a flash, he lashed out, keeping his shoulders square and head high.

He held the pose, glancing at Glimmer out of the corner of his eye. “See? If I keep myself upright, I’ve still got my balance. That way, if I miss or if whoever I’m fighting parries, I can still defend myself or dodge. If I throw my weight forward, I sacrifice both. If I miss, well—” he cracked a rather uneasy smile and dug at the ground, “–you’ll be extremely lucky if the worst that happens is that you end up in Doctor Gentle Touch’s care.” Seeing the way his student winced and ducked his head, Shining turned the sword back over to him and offered an encouraging smile. “Which is why you’re still learning proper form! Practice makes perfect, right?”

Glimmer slowly nodded and accepted the sword. Turning back to Lighthoof and Wind Runner, he began following along again; taking care to keep better control of his motions as he went through the patterns.

There we go. Shining gave a single nod before trotting back to the sidelines. Truth be told, Gentle would likely have his hide if she caught wind that he’d so much as considered demonstrating swordplay, let alone that he’d actually done so. Not to mention that Cady will inevitably hear, hold me tight under her wing, and scold me for disobeying doctor’s orders. Even if it was just a little swing of a sword or two.

He couldn’t help but crack a smile. Sometimes, he did have to wonder just how much of an inner joke it was that Cadence went into a sort of ‘mama pegasus’ role whenever his well-being was concerned. Or, rather, how much a joke it was when any of her friends were concerned.

Of course, given that he specifically requested certain guards to act as her personal detail, there wasn’t much room for him to cast stones.

I see the most of it because I’m her husband. And because we nearly lost one another that day. Cadence had always been one to look after him, even when they were just a pair of silly little teens, playing in the backyard while they watched Twilight for the day. He had to stifle a groan at the unbidden memories. Oh, and I made that silly, old promise to her back then, like I was some brave knight swearing fealty to his princess! I must’ve sounded so silly!

Still, as silly as it seemed in hindsight, it brought a smile to Cadence’s face when he’d first said it, and it was one of her favorite stories to share a giggle over. Not to mention the fact that it was a part of his very reason for donning the armor.

“I won’t let anything bad happen to you guys! I’m gonna be by your side forever!”

Shining shook his head and stifled a chuckle. Such a little punk, and so eager to march off to join the Royal Guard. The very same eagerness he saw in the eyes of his own recruits once they’d gotten past their reservations.

For a nation that had been so fearful, so anxious after the Empire returned from Sombra’s curse, these ponies took up the cause with gusto and kept coming back. A few hiccups here and there, but they were learning, albeit a bit slowly.

“Lieutenant Lighthoof,” he called, drawing the practice to a pause, “break them up into pairs and have them go through some one step sparring. Give them a physical target to read and work with.”

“Yes, sir! You heard Captain Armor! Pair off! Find a partner near your size and get ready to work some basic sparring! This round will be without swords, working on hoof-to-hoof.”

As his lieutenants took over, Shining was content to stand to the side and watch, taking note of how each group worked together. What they lacked in raw skill, they made up for in deliberation when they went through the movements; going step by step through a basic series of jabs, blocks and sweeps, all fundamental skills for quickly disabling an attacker.

He broke into a full grin at the sight of Glimmer taking his advice to heart. His blocks and jabs were short and well-controlled, but backed with enough power to suffice. Realizing that the point translates over to hoof-to-hoof combat and applying it accordingly, very good. Slowly, but surely, the youngest of their number was catching on.

If a little extra time was needed for the inaugural class to make the grade, he’d take it. Cadence might not like the delays, but she, at least, understood the importance of proper training.

Shining’s grin fell as his thoughts returned to his troubled wife. Smothering though she might be at times, she meant well. And, to be perfectly honest, she put up with a lot more of the political side of running the Empire than he even dared.

What she needed was some time to be herself, some ‘Cady time’; chatting with Tourmaline and Prism about whatever it was they giggled over, definitely a couple more date nights since the last was such a hit, and maybe, just maybe, find a bit of time to help couples find love.

He wrinkled his nose a bit at the last one. Maybe. I’ll float that bit to Tourmaline and let her bring that up. Or just mention that she’s not been on a date since the Empire returned and let Cady find her a nice pony. Then I can avoid being part of creating her infamous “love web”. A cold shudder shot down his spine; even Princess Celestia herself quickly vacated the room whenever Cady brought out her notes.

Either way, he’d figure something out to put a smile on her muzzle again. For now, he could understand that she wanted to deal with her problems on her own. He had taken the weight of training the Imperial Guard as his own pet project and she chose to deal with the Council until things were smoothed out.

For the time being, he’d find a way to keep her happy until she was ready to come forward and talk. After all, as she reminded him so many times, Cadence was a grown mare.

Everything would work itself out in the end. Until then, he’d have to think of something nice to do.

“Hmm, I haven’t heard of a herbalist opening up shop.” Shining mumbled, bringing a hoof to his chin. “I wonder if Honeysuckle might have a few herbs or something in the medical supply to help with stress. Or maybe she’s started up her personal garden again.” Shrugging, he made note to check with either her or Valiance after the training session ended. One step at a time, old boy. One step at a time.


As Shining stepped through the door to Honeysuckle’s lab, his ears twitched at the sound of porcelain clinking together and a mare softly humming a tune while she worked. Turning to face the main work desk, he came upon a white coated mare with beautiful blond mane with her back turned to him.

She swayed with the tune of her music, swishing her tail happily while she ground and shredded the herbs into tiny pieces to be used in medicines.

If not for the fact that he were married to Cadence, Shining might’ve been tempted to let his eyes wander a bit over the bubbly earth pony’s form—as Cadence herself might say, he was married, not dead. A ceremony didn’t change the fact that he could make note of a pretty mare.

To be fair, it was incredibly hard to catch his eye when the living embodiment of love was his wife. But Honeysuckle had a sort of homey, down to earth beauty about her.

And, after all, Cadence had been all too happy for Honey when Valiance proposed three years ago.

“She’ll be good for him,” she’d said, a bright smile gracing her muzzle. “She’ll balance out his seriousness and remind him to slow down and be a pony every now and again—sort of like a certain stallion I could name desperately needs to remember.”

“Of course, dear,” he’d replied with a roll of his eyes and a teasing grin.

Winking, she’d cast her gaze to the pair and made a faux casual remark. “She’s very pretty, isn’t she? He’s a very lucky stallion.”

Shining turned and fixed her with a flat stare, the likes of which he’d not matched since. “Honey, the word ‘stupid’ isn’t written across my forehead. I’m not telling my unbelievably beautiful girlfriend that I think another mare is pretty.”

“Oh, come now, Shiny! You know me better than that! You can tell me that a friend’s fiancée is pretty.” She paused, her eyes twinkling mischievously. “Just so long as you remember that I’m your one and only!”

He smiled and shook his head. Always with her cheek, that one. “Honeysuckle?” he called, stopping just a few paces from her. “Can I have a word with you?”

Honey gave a little gasp, all but hopping in place and turning to face him with a bright smile. “Captain Armor! It’s been too long!” She tossed aside formalities and protocol as she closed the distance and caught him in a warm hug, taking care not to squeeze too tight. Drawing back, she regarded him with a small frown. “Vali told me about your accident with that bear; how’ve you been? Not in too much pain, I hope?”

“Eh, just a bit of a twinge here and there.” Shining surrendered to her hug and gave a her a friendly pat on the back. “Really, it’s nothing to be all that worried about—it’s a couple fractures and a gash on my leg, I’m not on my deathbed here.”

“True, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t at least take it easy, sir.” She drew back and regarded him through narrowed eyes. Her voice took on a dangerous edge, eerily similar to the one Cadence used when telling him point-blank to follow doctor’s orders. “You are taking it easy, aren’t you, sir?”

With a roll of his eyes, Shining pulled away. “Yes, mother, I’m being a good little colt and not overexerting myself. The most I’ve done was show a recruit proper sword technique, that’s it!”

A smile played across her face. “I’m only teasing, Captain. Honestly, what do you expect me to do, go running to your wife?” She giggled, shaking her head as she dropped her forehooves to the floor. “I may be a mare, but I am a guard, sir! We have each others’ backs, through thick and thin and all that fun stuff.”

“Well, good, I—“

“Though, if Princess Cadence were to order me to say something...” Honey brought a hoof to her chin, her eyes shining with mischief. “I would have no choice but to sell you out without any regret and flee before I become collateral damage!”

And, there it is. “Gee, thanks!” he drawled, flicking his tail. “Now, joking aside, I actually had a question for you.”

Her eyebrows shot up. “Oh? Professionally?”

“Sort of; more in your capacity as an herbalist than a field medic, really.” Shining rubbed at the back of his mane and sighed. “It’s about Cadence. She’s been under a lot of stress and I was wondering if you might have something to help.”

Honeysuckle frowned, and tapped a hoof against the floor. “What sort of thing were you looking for? I can’t very well just give her any old herb, you know.”

“Right. Well, I was wondering about teas. She loves the stuff, so I was wondering if you might have something good for relieving tension.”

“Hmm, let me see.” She trotted over to one of the cabinets and pulled it open, rummaging around within and mumbling under her breath. “No, no, that’s for headaches—oh, actually, is Princess Cadence getting headaches? Silly me, forgot to ask for symptoms before I started looking.”

Shining tapped a hoof against the ground and chewed on his lip. “Er, well, she’s just been bothered by something. She hasn’t been complaining about feeling ill or anything, so I just figured she was dealing with a bit of stress or anxiety over the stuff she’s been going through running the Empire. It doesn’t seem like it’s caused her to lose sleep, but she’s definitely not the bubbly, affectionate Cady I’m used to today. And, lately, she’s been kinda frazzled.”

Honeysuckle nodded once and turned back to her cabinet. “I see, so nothing too strong. About how long do you think this has been going on?”

Sighing, he swished his tail. “Honestly? I’d have to say a while, and I feel like such an idiot for missing it until now.”

She glanced back at him. “Oh? Why do you say that?”

“Just thinking back, I’ve noticed a few bits where she’s done a bit of a drifting off thing—the kind she does whenever she gets really lost in thought working out a problem.”

“Hmm, I can’t really give a full diagnosis without seeing her. But, if she just needs a little something to help calm her nerves, I’d recommend this!” She turned around and held up several vibrant green leaves. “It’s chamomile. We use it to help with anxiety and stress. If you don’t mind waiting, I can grind it up and measure out the proper amount for a few servings of tea. It makes a rather nice batch, if you ask me.”

Shining smiled and nodded. “If you wouldn’t mind. I’m not all that familiar with proper brewing and I’d rather not ruin it.”

Snorting, Honey shook her head and set about gathering up the materials. “In that case, take a seat, Captain. I’ll have it ready for you soon enough.”

He trotted over to one of the stools and hopped on, leaning against the counter as he watched Honey set about chopping and grinding up the leaves, humming idly to herself as she moved with a seeming natural grace.

It was only a short while later that he trotted from her lab, bidding her farewell as he made his way home, with several servings of tea premade and ready. All he had to do was heat the water and mix it in.

A wicked grin crossed his muzzle. Bet I can get a few members of the staff to go into shock if I start making things myself. Sometimes, he just couldn’t help but slip back into that mischievous little colt that made Cadence bop him over the head during their school days.