• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 4,768 Views, 439 Comments

The Shield's Protector - Carapace



There is nothing he wouldn't do to protect her from harm, nothing he wouldn't do to show his love. But, whether he was Captain of the Guard or Prince of the Crystal Empire, Shining Armor was her stallion, first and foremost. Her beloved.

  • ...
21
 439
 4,768

9. I Made My Bed With Care

Never before had Cadence been so relieved to have a slow day in Court.

If there was one thing she could be thankful for, it was that the crystal ponies’ collective nervousness and, in extreme cases, fear of the Crown could work in her favor from time to time. Slow days gave her a bit of ‘Cady time’, albeit with Valiance and Stout Heart standing on either side of her throne—by her request—and Prism Shine running back and forth to help her keep things in order.

Slow days allowed her a bit of time to reflect.

Sighing heavily, Cadence let her wings droop at her sides. How do I tell him?

“Oh, Shiny, dear? I know we talked and agreed that you needed to take the time to make sure that the new recruits are trained properly, but the Council reacted about as poorly as me and wants you to either speed it up or dump it on Lieutenants Lighthoof and Wind Runner, then train your replacement and retire. That’s fine, right?”

Of course he’d take that well! She snorted and gave her tail a flick. The Imperial Guard was his pet project, taking the recruits’ training out from under his watchful eye would be akin to a slap in the face for somepony like him.

Unfortunately, the Council had just cause to worry, what with his injuries, minor though they may be, and the fact that he’d gone on record admitting that he’d used such a flimsy shield at first.

Oh, Shiny, you’ve no idea what kind of situation you’ve put us in! She gave her wings a little flap as if to ward away an insect. How in Equestria am I going to do this?”

“Er, My Princess?” Cadence blinked and shook her head to clear the cobwebs, her eyes flitting up to find Prism Shine fixing her with a look of utmost concern. “Perhaps you’d like to spend a few minutes away? If you’ll forgive my saying, you seem rather distracted this morning.”

Shaking her head, she sighed. “It’s been slow, Prism, I’ve just been a million miles away.” She straightened up and folded her wings against her sides. “I’m sorry, I just have a few things that’ve been on my mind.”

Prism’s ears perked up; she glanced at the pair of guards standing on either side of Cadence. “Er, if you don’t mind me asking...” she hesitated a moment, shifting her hooves against the floor. “Is this about the, ah, the ‘thing’?”

“You’ll have to be a tad more specific, Prism. I’ve got several ‘things’ that I have to deal with.”

“With respect, My Princess, I was trying to be subtle. I was referring to your most recent meeting with the Council.”

Cadence’s ears pricked up at the sound of metal shifting. She glanced at her ever-faithful guards, only to find that they’d turned their heads, just enough to cock their ears to listen in. So, it seems that my seneschal isn’t the only pony worried about that, eh? Sighing yet again, she hung her head.

“Yes,” she mumbled. “They brought some things to my attention and raised concerns that I can’t refute, no matter how hard I try.”

“I see.” Prism looked off to the side, biting her lip in thought before turning back. “In that case, I must insist that we step away. Come along, My Princess,” she called as she turned to the door. “We can continue this in a more private setting.”

“And leave Crystal Court early?” Cadence raised an eyebrow, nonetheless standing and shaking out the stiffness in her legs. “Who are you and what have you done with my seneschal?”

“As I recall, you once asked me to be your friend as well, My Princess. But if you must, kindly blame my sister for her lack of professionalism rubbing off on me. Besides—” she broke off to wave a hoof at the empty room, “—with so few ponies visiting today, we can afford to take a little bit of time off.”

Turning her back to me and advising that we take time off. And to think she teases Tourmaline for being unprofessional. With a shake of her head, Cadence followed Prism toward the door.

Her ears caught the sounds of armor shifting and hooves clacking against crystal as Stout Heart and Valiance trailed in her wake, distant enough to give her a sense of privacy, but close enough to leap to her defense. Dutiful as ever. Shining would be pleased, she noted. Her feathers ruffled as her thoughts turned back to her husband. His guards might as well be a second family for how much he looks after and shares with them. What was that he said after he came home from basic training? “Those who wear the gilded gold will find brothers and sisters to forever hold”?

It was no small wonder why he felt so attached. With the value he put on his actual family, the way he latched onto the ideology of the Royal Guard being akin to a second family, bound by their oaths to protect Equestria, made quite a bit of sense.

Eerily similar to how Twilight’s life changed when she went to Ponyville. Figures. Like brother, like sister; they go off for a bit and forge unbreakable bonds.

At the very least, Shining hadn’t forgotten her.

Cadence smiled to herself. No, he kept ties with me as best he could. Still keeping that old promise of protecting me no matter what. She turned the corner, following Prism down the hallway toward the kitchens. “Subscribing to my husband’s thinking now?” she called. “One might think you mean to fatten me up, Prism.”

Hearing a sigh and watching the way Prism shook her head in bemusement, Cadence withheld a smile and awarded herself a point in spite of her mood.

“You should have been the Princess of Comedy, truly.” The crystal mare turned to direct a deadpan glare over her shoulder. “I thought you might like to eat something while we chat, and there’s no better place for a little privacy than the kitchens—other than the Royal Suite, that is. Additionally...” she paused, her eyes flashing with the same mischievous glimmer Tourmaline shared. “I’m sure the Council would be quite supportive of you putting on a little bit of weight. Why, you’re practically skin and bones, Princess!”

Cadence sent a small bolt of magic to pinch Prism’s ear. “Oh, away with you!” she cried. “I am not that skinny! I’m just fit!”

“What’s this now?” Tourmaline’s voice called from down the hall as she trotted briskly toward the group, offering a light bow of her head toward Cadence. “Were you about to implement our plan to help Our Princess put a little bit of meat on those bones? And without me? I’m hurt, sister dear!”

“Hush, Tourmaline!” Prism scolded as she passed, flicking her tail across her sister’s snout. “You’ll spoil our evil plot to make Our Princess a bit more normal so average mares like us don’t feel so plain!”

Tourmaline gave gasp of feigned innocence, her eyes twinkled with mirth. “Oh, was that the plan? I thought we were going to work on her hips so she could wouldn’t have such difficulty birthing foals!”

Cadence’s ear flicked up at the sound of somepony snorting just behind her. Turning slowly, she directed a pointed glare toward Stout and Valiance, her eyes narrowing at their poorly-hidden grins and puffed up cheeks. “Not a word,” she warned, “not one.”

“Of course, My Princess!” Valiance managed to force out, biting his lip to maintain his composure.

Stout Heart looked just past her, fighting back a bout of snickers. “By—pfft!—your command, Princess Cadence! I wouldn’t—hehe—dream of it!”

And they have his sense of humor. Wonderful. She turned back to the mischievous crystal pony sisters and fixed them with a stern glare. “You two are going to be the death of me, I swear!”

“You shouldn’t swear, My Princess!” Tourmaline chirped. “Really, it’s hardly befitting of your station—Ow!” She winced as her ear was engulfed in a shimmering blue aura and twisted. “Okay, okay! I surrender!”

“Humph! You deserved that one.” Striding past her hoof maiden, Cadence shook her head and tutted. “That joke was utterly terrible and you should feel terrible.”

From her place by the kitchen door, Prism rolled her eyes and gave a rueful smile. “Sadly, I know for a fact that she’s quite pleased with herself. Let’s just hope she doesn’t start on puns, My Princess.”

“You had puns in the Crystal Empire that long ago?” Stout Heart blurted out. Almost in unison, the mares turned to regard the hapless private with matching smirks and raised eyebrows. He ducked his head, quailing under the combined stares and the baleful glare of his superior officer. “Sorry…”

Valiance sighed and ground a hoof into the floor. “Please excuse Private Stout Heart, ladies,” he said, bowing low. “Sometimes, he forgets that he’s supposed to speak with respect when on duty unless otherwise commanded!”

Stout Heart’s ears pinned back. “Sorry, sir…”

“Corporal Valiance,” Cadence cut in before he could offer retort, “surely we could let this slide, yes? I, myself, am quite interested in the Empire’s glory days and would be happy to hear any information. Even if it’s something as simple as comedy. After all, it can be one of the best insights into culture.” She shot a wink to Stout Heart, giving him a kind smile. Curiosity of culture is hardly a bad thing. One of Auntie’s many lessons.

“Of course, My Princess,” Giving a bow, Valiance eyed Stout Heart critically. “I’m sure that’s exactly what Private Stout Heart had in mind. Isn’t that right?”

The younger guard snapped a nervous salute, a bead of sweat trickling down the side of his face. “Y-Yes, sir!”

Giggling, Tourmaline caught up with her sister and Cadence, aiming a teasing grin toward Stout Heart. “To answer your question, we had puns of all sorts! It’s all out of date now, but I’m starting to catch up thanks to Our Princess!”

“Unfortunately…” Prism muttered, bringing a hoof to her brow and slowly dragging it down her muzzle. She narrowed her eyes at they way her sister’s grin widened and how Tourmaline waggled her eyebrows. “One word, just one, Tourmie…”

And, so, the routine begins anew. “Now, fillies,” Cadence scolded before the sisters could begin their latest argument, “behave and try to act like grown ups, please. We wouldn’t want our escorts—” she broke off to cast a meaningful glance back at the pair of guards, “—to get the wrong idea about us, would we?”

The sisters abruptly froze in place, blinking owlishly before straightening up. Holding their heads high, they turned to trot to her side.

Cadence eyed the pair and raised a brow. “Shifting from one extreme to the next, aren’t we?” she muttered as she turned and lit up her horn to open the kitchen door. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a fleeting glimpse of a familiar gleam in Tourmaline’s eyes.

That very same one she always caught whenever her little seneschal had something on her mind.

“Valiance, Stout Heart,” she called as she stepped through the doorway, with Tourmaline and Prism Shine following in her wake. Both guards snapped to attention the instant their names left her lips. “If you wouldn’t mind waiting out here, I’d appreciate it. The girls and I are just going to chat for a bit.”

“Yes, My Princess,” they replied in stereo, bowing low and moving to take their posts on either side of the door.

As Cadence closed the door, she caught Tourmaline sneaking a glance at Stout Heart, a small smirk playing upon the crystal pony’s muzzle. Well, well! This could tie two little ponies together in a nice little package!

That was just what she needed: a chance to help find that special somepony and their happily ever after—her duty as Princess of Love. Even more so when one of the ponies just happened to be her friend.

Exactly what she needed to take her mind off of things; spreading the magic and joys of love would surely help her find the silver lining in the clouds hanging over her day.

Wagging her tail a bit and giving her worries a little nudge to the back of her mind, she schooled her expression to give herself a more casual look. A smile graced her lips as she trotted past the sisters, glancing at the more mischievous of the pair. “Eying up my personal detail?” she quipped.

“To be completely honest, yes!” Tourmaline replied shamelessly, pointedly ignoring her sister’s groan. “He’s cute. And, not to mention, pretty darn good looking in that armor!”

“That he is, and that he does.” Cadence motioned the sisters over to a table, nodding to the kitchen staff as they bowed before her. She sat down across from them and folded her hooves one on top of the other. “He’s also single, though his personality can seem rather complicated, to say the least.”

“Oh? Now, you’re just dangling a carrot in front of me, My Princess. You’ll have to tell me more—”

Prism tapped her on the shoulder and shook her head. “Later, Tourmie,” she chided. “I’m sure that Our Princess would love to help you find the special somepony in your life, but we do have more pressing issues.”

Business first, eh, Prism? “Aww, come now, Prism! Let me have my fun! Helping ponies find and remember the ones they love and the reasons they came to love is what makes me happy! It’s part of me!” Smirking deviously, she fixed her gaze on her seneschal. “Perhaps we could spare some time to find your special somepony, hmm? I see you with a nice, strong stallion; one whose quiet, but just seems to know the right thing to say to make your heart flutter.”

Prism’s cheeks took on a reddish hue. “P-Princess!”

“Oh?” Cadence tilted her head, a slight playful smirk at the corner of her mouth. “Am I off the mark? My mistake, I didn’t realize that you favored—”

“That is completely beside the point!” Prism protested, her cheeks taking on a deep pinkish hue. “I asked you to join me here so we could discuss whatever was bothering you! Not to discuss my love life!”

Tourmaline snorted and shot her a teasing grin. “You mean your lack of a love life.” She was quick to duck a swipe of her sister’s hoof, her expression never faltering. “Really, Prism! We’re just thinking of you!”

“Hush, you! There are far more important things at hoof!”

“Keep talking like that and you’ll end up an old maid!”

“I said hush, and I’m only a year older than you!” She huffed before turning back to Cadence, her glare melting away. “Princess, if we could put the joking aside for a later time?”

“I was actually being serious about helping, but if there’s something else bothering you, I’m all ears.” Shrugging, Cadence eased back into her cushion and waved a hoof. “The offer is still on the table, though.”

Tourmaline flagged down a cook and whispered something into his ear. The cook nodded once, muttering a quick greeting and bowing before he scampered back off to prepare a snack.

Prism let out a sigh and shook her head, levying Cadence with a pitying look. “I’ll be sure to keep that in mind. In any case, I wanted to check on you, My Princess.” She shifted in her seat, rubbing a hoof against her shin. “You’ve been drifting off a bit lately, and not in your usual manner.”

Cadence raised an eyebrow. “I have a ‘usual manner’ for how I drift off?”

“You stare out the window, gazing at the sky and lingering on the clouds,” Tourmaline cut in. “Like you’re just itching to stretch your wings for a bit.”

“Exactly, thank you, Tourmie.” Prism nodded before turning back to Cadence. “When you’re in a good mood, I can tell that you long to fly, like some of the pegasus guards when they’re on a long shift on ground duty. But, whenever something is bothering you, whenever you’re feeling down, you sigh irregularly and stare straight ahead at the doorway.” She paused a moment and steepled her hooves, her calculating gaze making Cadence ruffle her wings. “If you recall this morning, I had to literally wave a hoof in front of your muzzle to get your attention long enough to give my report on construction in the eastern Kunzite District.”

“Yeah, as much as I hate to agree with Madame Fussy Hooves, you weren’t your usual chipper self when I helped you put on your makeup this morning, either. You hardly even lingered on Prince Armor coming out of the bath with his coat—”

Covering Tourmaline’s mouth with a hoof, Cadence sighed. “All right, I get it, I haven’t been myself. I’ve just had a lot of my mind, with the Council hounding me for updates on what we’re doing with the economy and how we plan to bring new industry in.”

The sisters each raised a brow at her and tapped their hooves against the table. They weren’t buying it, not in the slightest.

She leaned back, her left hind leg bouncing in place. Deep breath in, deep breath out. Relax, Cady. Trying to out wait them, she simply fixed a serene smile on her muzzle, pricking her ears up and making sure to meet their gaze. “Girls, I’m fine. Really. Just a few things on my mind, but I’ll get over it. I’m a big mare!”

“So you are, My Princess,” Prism agreed, giving a single nod of her head. “But that doesn’t mean we can’t offer our help when we see something bothering you—wait just a moment,” she broke off a moment and brought a hoof to her chin, her eyes narrowed.

Cadence’s smile faltered as she watched the gears turning behind those sharp blue eyes, her seneschal slowly piecing everything together. Oh… Pluck my feathers.

Almost on cue, Prism’s ears flicked and her eyes widened. Her mouth set into a thin line, she turned to whisper to Tourmaline. Cadence watched the little mare’s eyes narrow, her face flitting through confusion to disbelief before her jaw dropped and ears slowly pinning back to lay against her scalp.

She sighed and shook her head. Here we go.

No!” Tourmaline gasped, clasping a hoof to her mouth. “They wouldn’t—I’m quite certain they can’t do something like that!”

Darn it, Prism. “They can’t force him out,” Cadence whispered. She let out a deep sigh, her wings drooped low. “But since they’re technically supposed to act as a voice for both myself and the people in their districts… If I ignore them, ponies might start to worry that we’re heading down the same path Sombra did.”

She propped her knees up on the table and held her head in her hooves, rubbing small, slow circles in her temples. Truth be told, no matter which way she moved, there would be consequences.

Ignoring the Council meant turning her back on her ponies. Granted, it was one issue, and rather close to home at that. But, in government, it only took a single ruling to set a precedent.

If she chose to disregard their concerns for Shining, especially with how easily validated it was thanks to his injuries and disregard for his own well-being, it would set the tone for a ruler who liked to play favorites. Certainly, she could do so to a point. The Council had accepted her point that Shining should keep his post as Captain when that came up during their first session.

“As you say, My Princess, he is the highest ranking military officer in the Empire. Asking that he give up his rank without adequate replacement would be rather hasty on our part. Perhaps, a compromise can be reached…”

Compromise, they claimed. No. What they wanted was for him to train the very ponies who would escort the pair of them around and ensure that he’d not put on the armor save for ceremonial duties like the Equestria Games. At least, that had been their goal then. Things had changed thanks to Shining’s little mishap in the forest.

Being regulated to a desk job, basically slipping back into the role he had in Canterlot, was something Shining would accept with only a bit of irritation. But forced retirement? And at the hooves of the very ponies he tried so hard to protect?

He’d never have it. And, to be perfectly fair, Cadence had no intention of making him.

It was just the matter of convincing the Council otherwise…

A hoof touched her left foreleg. Cadence looked up, her eyes meeting with Tourmaline’s. “Don’t worry, Princess,” she began, sliding her hoof up to take Cadence’s, “you’ve got our support.”

“That much goes without saying,” Prism added. “Still, you haven’t explained why you’re so set against telling Prince Armor.”

“He’s got enough on his plate with the recruits. And, honestly, I don’t know how to tell him.” Candace buried her face in her hooves again. “I’ve known him since I started foalsitting his little sister, he was my best friend before we started dating. Being a member of the Royal Guard was his dream, and the day he became Captain was one of his proudest moments. Love is my area of expertise, girls, but this? I’m at a loss for how to tell him.”

“But, you know you have to at some point—” Prism began.

“Yes. I do. But I’d like to have a bit more time to figure the ‘how’ part out.” She took in a breath and let it out slowly through her nose. “Not to mention, it’ll give him one less thing to worry about.”

Tourmaline scoffed. “Except you aren’t easing his burden.”

Cadence’s head snapped up, her eyes narrowed. “How so?”

“Come now, My Princess. You said it yourself: you’ve known Prince Armor for years. If Prism and I noticed that something was bothering you, what are the chances that he’s missed it?”

There was a beat of silence. Cadence simply stared ahead at the pair before slowly dropping her head to the table, letting it thump against the wood. “Pluck my feathers and roast me over a fire! I’m a certifiable idiot!”

A hoof patted her on the head. “We all have our moments, Princess,” Tourmaline said, her voice tinged with amusement. “Just realize that he knows you as well as you know him.”

“I know, I know!” She groaned into the wood. “I’ll talk to him. I’m not sure if I can tell him just yet, but I’ll make sure he knows that I’m okay.” At the sound of Prism clearing her throat, she raised her head to glare. “Fine. I’ll tell him that I’ve just been feeling a bit of stress.”

Prism nodded. “Better. Still, I think it would be best that you start thinking on how to break the news to him. You can’t hide it forever.”

Almost as soon as the words left Prism’s mouth, something jumped in Cadence’s head—causing a wide smile to spread across her face. Bingo. “Leave that to me. I might have an idea or two on how to figure it out.” If there’s anypony who knows you better, Shiny, it’s her. “In fact, Prism, would you mind fetching a sheet of paper, a quill and ink for me? I believe there’s a letter I need to write.”

Prism dipped her head, though also gave her a curious look. “Of course, My Princess. But… I thought you were thinking on how to tell Prince Armor. Why—”

“I am, Prism. Trust me on this one.”

With a shrug, Prism stood and bowed to Cadence before turning on her hooves and trotting briskly from the kitchen to complete her task.

Tourmaline, however, remained. She made as if to question Cadence, but was cut off.

“If you’re about to ask, you’ll get the same answer, Tourmie. I’m thinking on how to deal with it by consulting an outside source. Somepony who knows Shiny even better than me.” Seeing the mare’s eyes widen, almost as if a bolt of realization flashed through her mind, Cadence nodded. “And, now, you’ve got it. All the same, thank you for talking with me. It helped far more than you know. Now, that aside, let’s turn to something a bit more pleasant.”

“Such as?”

Her lips curved upward into a wide grin, Cadence steepled her hooves and stared into Tourmaline’s eyes, “Let’s discuss that stallion standing outside the door.”

The smaller mare shifted in her seat, her ear flicking toward the door as if hoping her sister were about to return so quickly.

No such luck, I’m afraid. “Now, Tourmie, you can talk with me about it! I’m just trying to help.”

“Yes, My Princess, but,” Tourmaline broke off, her tail swishing as she chewed on her bottom lip, “well, earlier was just me playing around and trying to make you smile a bit. I couldn’t possibly ask you to play matchmaker for me when—”

Cadence quickly reached across the table and took Tourmaline’s hoof in hers. “Tourmie,” she began, “we talked about my problems, and I’ve agreed to work through them. Helping ponies with relationships is what I do—or, rather, what I used to do a lot more often.” A small frown made its way across her muzzle. She sighed and looked deep into her friend’s sky blue eyes. “It’s something I’d like to do a lot of when things settle down again, actually.”

“Well, that’s fair, but I’m not sure how I feel about putting this on top of everything else.”

“Oh, please, this is part of what I was meant to do! It’s nice to know I can still be helpful, and, at worst, it’s a welcome distraction from things.” She beamed at Tourmaline and settled onto her cushion. “So, come on! Tell me everything!”

Tourmaline glanced over her shoulder, humming a bit before turning back and sighing in resignation. “If you insist. Well, I’ve had my eye on him for a little bit now—since he transferred over from Canterlot, actually.”

Ah, here we go! “Caught your eye in just a couple weeks, then!” Cadence leaned forward, her tail wagging behind her like a happy puppy’s. “And just what about him grabs you, hmm?”

“At first?” The little mare blushed and fidgeted with her hooves. “Just how he looked. He’s not quite bulky, but he’s fit. And in that armor he looks, well—” she bit down on her lip, trying in vain to fight back a grin. “—When he’s at his post, he looks so serious, so stoic, sort of like one of the guards from Prince Armor’s posters or the ones in tales of old, where soldiers were leaving for war. But off duty, or just before he’s ready to begin a shift, he’s still got that cute, look about him. You know, like the one he had when he asked about old humor.”

“Hmm, that he does, that he does.” She tapped at her chin thoughtfully, a soft smile on her face. “To be perfectly honest, he’s a bit like Shiny when he was younger: he looked so cute wearing the armor, then he’d march on over to his post, paste on that typical guard look and turn into this big protector.” She tittered and shook her head. “Anything else? Come now, lay all cards on the table!”

Pinning back her ears, Tourmaline ducked her head. “That’s—I don’t really have much else. There’s been a couple times where we’ve spoken, but never really in private. I’ve wanted to talk with him about going out, but he’s always attached at the hip with Corporal Valiance and… oh, isn’t it a bit rude for the mare to ask the stallion, or has that changed in the last thousand years?”

“It has, actually. It’s not so much rude as it is you taking initiative—remember, I kissed Shiny first and I daresay I’ve had him wrapped around my hoof since.” She raised a brow and brought a hoof to her chin. “Though, he was always right there for me once we became friends, he’d just get nervous when I got close.” Shaking her head, Cadence shrugged and looked back to Tourmaline. “Either way, ask him out! The worst he can do is say no.”

“But that’s what I’m afraid of!” Tourmaline whined, flailing her hooves a bit.

“You can either take a chance on love or let it pass you by. I can’t just hit him with a spell and make him love you—no matter how tempting that might seem with how dense stallions can be.” Despite her assurances, the unease in Tourmaline’s eyes remained. Cadence watched her glancing over her shoulder at the door and let her smile fall. Oh, it really has been a while since I’ve done this. I’m rusty. “Tourmie, please. Give it a try, you don’t even have to tell him it’s a date at first. It can just be something simple, just to see how you two work together. At the very least, you can make a friend—and heaven knows the pair of you could stand to get out and have a good time!”

Another whine, another glance over her shoulder at the door. “Oh, fine!” she cried, covering her face with her hooves. “But if he says no, I’m venting to you and Prism!”

“I’d be insulted if you didn’t, there will be a carton of any ice cream of your choice with your name on it. Now, don’t you feel a little better?” When Tourmaline nodded, it felt like a weight had lifted off Cadence’s chest. “Good, good. So do I. Oh, and before I forget! Do yourself a favor.” She fixed the mare opposite her with a look of utmost severity.

As she made to continue, the cook returned and slid plate of warm blueberry muffins before Tourmaline and a bowl of ice cream before Cadence. “Princess.” He bowed deeply. “Please enjoy. And you as well, Lady Tourmaline.

“Thank you, Oven Mitt.” Cadence smiled. She turned back to Tourmaline and schooled her expression again. “Where was I? Oh, right. Don’t try playing the weak, needy mare, Tourmie. Be the fun, happy mare who drives my husband batty.”

Tourmaline snorted, but nodded all the same. “If you say so, Princess.”

“I do.” Her ears perked up at the sound of a hoof thumping against the door. She glanced over Tourmaline’s shoulder to find Prism Shine trotting toward their table, with a few sheets of paper, a quill, and an inkwell all balanced on her clipboard.

And now, I can take care of my business. She let out a deep breath, a sense of levity settling upon her. Then, it’ll all be clearer.

Relieving Prism of her burden, Cadence dipped her quill into the inkwell and began scratching out a letter.

“Dear Twilight,

“It’s been some time since we last talked, so I wanted to check in and see how thing were in Ponyville. Shiny and I are still getting things straightened out in the Empire; he’s been busying himself by training the new recruits and I’ve found myself all too familiar with Auntie Celestia’s pain when it comes to running Court.

“But, I digress. The Empire is considering the prospect of entering into a trade agreement with the United Griffon Territories. While our industry isn’t quite as well-developed as Equestria’s, we were hoping that we might be able to offer crystals, both for craftswork and for research purposes. The latter is actually what I wanted to ask about.

“If you aren’t too bogged down with your studies or duties as a princess, would you be willing to help us conduct a basic analysis if we sent samples? Shiny and I might have decent understanding of magic, but your knowledge is quite a bit more comprehensive and broad-ranging.

“Please let me know as soon as you can. I hope you and Spike are well—say hi to him from me!

“Love, Cadence.”

Dotting the final period, Cadence leaned back to survey her work. That should do on that front. She blew lightly on the ink to help it dry, grimacing as she considered the part she hadn’t mentioned.

Yes, she needed to talk to Twilight about her little dilemma, but she couldn’t have Shining read the reply over her shoulder.

She’d have to ask Twilight for a bit of a favor. She dipped the quill tip into the ink again and added a post script.

“P.S. There’s something else I need to talk to you about, but I don’t want Shiny to read it. It concerns him, so, if you would, please reply to it in a separate letter. If you don’t mind helping, that is.”

Awkward, and it made her feel terrible for going behind Shining’s back, but it would have to do until she could straighten herself out.

Twilight will know exactly how to help. When it comes to Shiny, she always does.

She has to.