• Published 26th Feb 2015
  • 2,307 Views, 298 Comments

Cutiemark Crusaders 10k: The fourth deity - The Psychopath



In this dark future of Equestria, the CMC have become the guardians of the remaining ponies against the chaos demons, Nightmare Luna, and the crystal ponies of the formless King Sombra. Three deities, but an unknown fourth comes for conquest

  • ...
10
 298
 2,307

Transport to Vanhoover

"...She failed," Shining lamented.

"I told you she did not have the ability to do it," Crystance smiled smugly.

"No. She had the power to strike it down and extract the magical essence from it. It simply wielded an unexpected amount of dark powers, but I suspect it can do other tricks," Sombra said within his mirror.

"Surely, such a simplistic creature could not contain such power!" Crystance said.

"Hmmm. I am more concerned about where it came from. There was nothing in the remaining scriptures about a creature like it," Shining pondered.

"But the oldest scripture is from a thousand two hundred and ninety-six years ago! It recites many creatures, cultures, people, countries; Many of which have disappeared."

"I recall what little I was taught in my youth, and if I am to understand, this creature is older than even I and the alicorn sisters. I can sense it crossing along my lands," Sombra interjected.

Shining hesitated to step forward many times but finally had the courage to ask:

"I understand that you have some connection to your domain, but I did not know you could sense things traversing across it."

"As much as it hurts my pride to say so, you are partially correct."

"Partially?" Crystance wondered.

"Yes. While a normal creature cannot be detected, I can detect beings with immense magical power, such as the demon lords of Discord. This...thing radiates pure darkness all around it, and it even dares to take from me!"

"How?"

"It's absorbing the crystals I so painstakingly spread across my empire! It even protects the four it dared to steal from me."

"Then should we go after it and kill it? I will see to it personally, if you would have it," Shining bowed.

"No!" Sombra yelled. "It yet awakens from its hibernation. When its powers have properly awakened, then shall I send you after it to harvest MY rightful magic and restore my body. We cannot race this. Continue to increase my forces and territory in the mean time. We must eliminate as many threats as possible to it while it 'ripens'."

Sombra's evil laughter vibrated throughout the Crystal Empire like a sharp knife digging into a wound. Shining and Cadance grinned while they shared their king's enthusiasm.

"Still. Flog Crystalestia for her failure."

"Right!" Crystance cracked her necked and wielded a smile most foul and frightening.


Abstract was still wounded after his battle with the fallen alicorn, although he did not seem to notice. If anything, while the group moved through the Crystal Wastes, the new servants noticed their leader's cracks closing and broken crystals growing back. It seemed that every time he would stop on the crystals, a piece the same width as Abstract's hoof would crack off the ground and slowly be absorbed into his body. With each step a new hole would form upon the ground and the crystallion's body would mend itself. While the four watched his wounds mend before their eyes, they noticed that thin threads of black smoke came from thin air and would be absorbed into his body.

"Should we ask him about the smoke?" Amber whispered.

"I don't know. Do you think that's something offensive for his kind?" Rosy said as she looked at her brother. Blue Mellow simply shrugged in response.

"You're all foals," Concrete sighed. The bulky stallion walked next to his leader and asked him a question. "Excuse me, my leader, but what is that--"

"No," Abstract replied blandly.

"What? I didn't even--"

"I know what you were going to ask. I needn't answer it. You are here to satisfy my requirements for knowledge. I need not sate yours."

When Abstract finished his answer, two crystal ponies came out from a ledge below the path the five were taking and lunged out. Abstract did not move his head that a whip or dark energy smacked hard into the two would-be attackers, throwing them far across the crystal plains and over the untouched lands.

"I would like to know exactly what purpose this accursed sphere holds! You have yet to answer my questions on that regard."

"We've already told you!" Rosy mused as she fluttered her eyelashes on the back of her brother.

"We don't know! It just came." Blue replied with the same tone of voice.

"When we were fleeing from the Crystal Kingdom."

"We lost our hue."

"And were imbued."

"Then we were servants to the king."

"Somepony not truly worth praising."

"We think he could no longer arrive."

"But we were not there for the arrival of the five."

"Five? They were three."

"Well, I'm trying to bring rhymes."

"They don't work if you give me hard words! Might as well say 'orange'," Blue pouted.

" 'Door hinge' rhymes with 'orange'!"

As the two continued to complain, Concrete and Amber were confounded as to how their leader remained so calm and indifferent. Anypony here would have already ripped off their ears by now. Abstract, however, did not react. In fact, he did not even seem aware of the world around him, even as he walked upon it. It seemed more and more crystal ponies were trying to capture the group, but more often than not would Abstract grab one with his dark energies and smash it painfully into the ground, leaving the victim as the center of a crater. Others would just be whacked aside rather comically. Clearly, Abstract did not think much of them, if he even thought of them at all.

Without warning, the crystallion bolted off towards what appeared to be a giant black-purple crystal growing diagonally out of the crystalline ground, creating a strange, 'natural' fence made from minerals all around its base. Concrete shrugged to Amber, and the four galloped towards their leader. While they advanced, another group of ponies were thrown into the air and into a singularity created by Abstract. Judging by the size, the crystal was at least sixty-five feet (twenty meters) tall.

"What's wrong?" Concrete asked.

"It is a chrysanthemium," he answered.

"A what? Is that the name of this crystal formation?"

"No, you lowly beast. These were our beasts of war during the Crystal War. They were extremely difficult to control, even for MY people."

"Oh? And how many rode them into battle?" Amber wondered. "A hundred? A thousand?"

"Three. One including our king."

"Say we believe you. Do you even know how to tame it?" Concrete asked.

Abstract's eyes glowed brighter for a minute while he glared at the stallion. The crystallion lift his hoof and punched the crystal powerfully, creating a resonating echo throughout the land. When the vibrations ceased, there was nothing but silence. Abstract only looked at the crystal patiently while his new followers looked around with confusion.

"What ha--" Blue tried to ask but was cut off by the sound of glass breaking.

The gigantic crystal began to shake and tremble, breaking off pieces of itself to fall on the ground below. Two very long crystals broke off the main body with a resounding shatter and smashed into the ground below. They appeared to be pushing against the ground and forcing the main body out of the ground. Another bit of crystal broke off from the main body while it lift itself from the ground. It was a head with a short, thin neck. The head was slanted diagonally upwards and pointing towards the back. Two slits opened on the sides, showing what looked like empty black spaces with an orange, reverberating line similar to those once used in old machines to measure brainwave activity. Once it was fully out, the main body rotated until it was now horizontal and looking directly at Abstract. Two more legs broke off from the body and landed on the ground, creating hind legs. Unlike the hind legs, the forelegs extended far beyond the joint connecting them to the body, creating a sort of tall, pointy shoulder. Both had sharp, pointy bases, though.

Each step it took as it turned to face Abstract and the cowering ponies shook the land and broke the crystal surface, but Abstract was not impressed.

"Silence, creature.You will obey me! Abstract the Dark is your new master!" the crystallion shouted loudly.

As he did so, an enormous blast of dark energies erupted from him in a sphere, creating strong winds with a black coloration. The four followers struggled to stay in place, but the chrysanthemium seemed to be getting compressed against the ground by tremendous pressure. It did not take long for it to finally submit, inciting the curiosity of Abstract.

"Strange. There is usually a large battle to force them to submit. Disappointing. Come, you four. We ride on its back to this 'Vanhoover' you spoke of."

"Are y-y-y-y-you sure?" Amber stuttered.

"Yeah! It's really safe and fun!" Blue and Rosy said together.

"They're already not fighting anymore?" Amber broke from her thoughts.

Concrete rolled his eyes and tossed her onto the creature by surprise. With a final hop, everypony was on board.

"Go, beast. We make for the light in the distance, then we bring it and its simplistic inhabitants under my rule."

The chrysanthemium huffed in irritation but ultimately followed what its new master ordered. Its back was perfectly flat, allowing the five to stand on it comfortable. Unfortunately, only true crystalline creatures like Abstract were capable of standing on its back. The others were struggling to not slide off after every step of this imposing beast, making it a very stressful trip for the ponies. As time went on, the four were finally given holds of dark energy by Abstract. He could not risk losing their information after all. So the ponies slumbered under the false moon of the empty black sky. Perhaps 'Vanhoover' had archives on that dome and its purpose as well as what other creatures existed.

Hours passed, and the four slept peacefully while Abstract kept a stern watch. Blue and Rosy had been thinking about what they might call the new creature while in their lucid dreaming which quickly became an awoken dream when the chrysanthemium roared in pain and tumbled somewhat.

"Wh-what's happening?!" Amber shouted. "Are we under attack?!"

"A crystalline construct is attacking my new pet with magic certainly taken from this 'Sombra' character," Abstract said.

"Then use your magic to destroy it!"

"No. My friend used his to annihilate his enemies before he fell. I wish to see if these beasts are truly worth keeping for more than cargo transport."

In front of the group stood three tripod walkers identical to the one from Stalliongrad, except these ones were firing red beams of magic at Abstract's mount. It was completely enraged now but would not act unless its new master would allow it. It looked up at him, begging for revenge. Abstract did not move, but, somehow, the creature knew the answer and stomped forward. Each angry step tossed the ponies into the air, forcing them to cling onto their 'boxes'.

"I don't know what that thing is, but we won't let your roam the master's domain unpunished!" one of the driver's proclaimed.

Another beam came from the foremost walker once more, splashing against the front of the chrysanthemium. Unfortunately, this time, it had no true effect, and the creature's left foreleg pierced the walker through its weapon and out of the other side. The construct was tossed overhead and behind the creature as it walked towards the others who did the same thing. This time, however, the mount kept its leg in the air instead of using it to pierce the hull of the machine. While Concrete watched, three shards of sharp crystal broke off the tip and extended outwards with the same thin circular crystals that connected the rest of the body. They were on all three sides of the limn and somehow managed to grab onto the walker, lift it slightly, then throw it into the one on its left, creating a resounding smash and throwing crystalline debris everywhere and tossing the crystal ponies into the air.

"Splendid. It is indeed an enjoyable mount. Now, hopefully, we shan't be interrupted as we make our way for Vanhoover," Abstract cheered emotionlessly.

"Well, after the crystal plains, the lands haven't been claimed or were ignored by everypony. Normally, we shouldn't have any trouble going there," Amber said.

"Although I think the ponies there have weird flying machines that shoot sharp magic bolts and explody ones," Rosy Notes said.

"Oh! And they have lots 'n lots of magic to keep others out. I think they even have ponies wearing weird armor," Blue Noted.

"Those are power ponies. It's best we let our master discover these things himself. Then he can speak with the heads of that place," Concrete Cavel nodded with certainty.

"Talk? There will be no talk. They either join me 'willingly' or against their will. There are no other options," Abstract spoke darkly. "None shall oppose the return of the crystallions."

Author's Note:

Next in line: "At the front gates"