• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 2,037 Views, 147 Comments

Getting Back to Good - FlufferNutters



Life can throw things at you that you don't expect. It's up to you to take the first steps. This is Peanut Butter's journey. (This takes place in the Equestria Girls universe)

  • ...
5
 147
 2,037

Sanity (Part 1) (edited)

The week passes as Peanut Butter goes by his uneventful week. His weekend was at home due to the weather as the new week starts the night before his appointment is in front of him as he eats dinner. He looks down at his plate as he pushes a lone green bean across a pool of honey mustard. Luna looks at him noticing he barely has eaten his food.

"Is there something wrong?" Luna asks.

"Nothing is wrong."

"P.B., I know when something is wrong."

"I don't want to go to the stupid shrink tomorrow."

"You don't really have a choice in this P.B., it's for your health and I feel you can benefit from it."

"How would you know?"

"Let's just say it's a feeling."

"I'll take your word for it, but I still don't like it."

"Good, now finish up we have a long day tomorrow and it's best you get as much sleep as you can."

"Fine."

Peanut Butter eats silently as he looks away from Luna. She sighs as she finishes and washes the dishes while he still eats.

He finishes eating and puts the dishes in the sink before silently walking to his room. Luna sighs before going to her room down the hall. She takes out her phone and dials a number on it before putting it to her ear and lays on her bed. After a few rings the person on the other end picks up.

"Hey Cadance, how are you?" Luna asks.

"That's good, I'm not doing so well."

"It's about P.B., he's being resilient to going to the psychologist."

"Dr. Clear Mind."

"I didn't know Twilight had the same doctor."

"If only they could get along."

"No they don't, according to Sunset he's too 'outside the box' while she's too 'within the lines'."

"He's been opening up more, though at a cost by the looks of things."

"I feel that there is something more going on with him."

"I'm not sure if he's hiding something or not."

"He was completely silent tonight, hardly saying a word to me."

"Okay, go take care of little Flurry and I'll talk to you later."

Luna places the phone on the far side of the bed as she looks up at the ceiling. She sighs as she looks at a picture on her dresser just right to the bed. It is a picture with her and Celestia as kids with their mother at a picnic table wearing party hats. She stares at the picture with a blank stare and expressionless face.

"I wish I knew what to do mom, I could really use your help." Luna expresses.

Luna continues to stare at the ceiling for a few minutes before her phone starts to hum on the opposite side of the bed. Luna reaches for it and looks at the number. She slides her thumb on the screen and puts the phone to her ear.

"Hello Celestia." Luna greets.

"So Cadance called you after me huh?"

"He is doing it resentfully."

"He may have experienced something traumatic other than, well you know."

"Yeah, we will find out tomorrow, hopefully."

"I wouldn't doubt that he'll be stubborn, Sunset was the same way huh?"

"Those two are alike in so many ways surprisingly, I think she is closer to him than I am."

"I know they are the same age, but I'm the one taking care of him."

"How could he not trust me?"

"I know it takes time, but,"

"Wait, she still doesn't trust you?"

"It's been over a year though."

"I have been to his aid whenever he needed it since we found him."

"No I don't really interact with him outside of those moments."

"Fine, I'll do more with him then."

"Thanksgiving will be at your place since I can't hold everyone."

"I know at least a few of them will join."

"I don't know how P.B. will react though being swarmed by all those people."

"I think having them come up one at a time would be best."

"I have a long day tomorrow so I'll talk to you later."

"Love you too, good night."

Luna presses the hangup symbol on her phone's screen before rolling over to her nightstand next to her bed and connecting her phone to her charger before placing the phone on her bed. She turns on her TV as she gets into her pajamas before climbing onto her bed under the sheets.

The next morning Luna wakes up to the sound of a door closing near by. She gets out of the bed and opens the door to see Peanut Butter's door open and hears him in the bathroom. She quietly walks closer to the bathroom to listen.

"Another day in this hell on earth, another night settles in as quickly as it starts, the memories of darkness, words on the page and I can't find my way home." Peanut Butter sings along side the sound of falling water.

Luna's eyes widen as she continues to listen.

"And it's almost like, your heaven's doing everything, your heaven's doing everything to keep me away."

Luna steps back quietly before going back to her room and opens her laptop. She checks her emails as well as the song that Peanut Butter was singing. She plays it as she lays her clothes for the day out on the bed.

Ten minutes later she hears the door open and then hear another door close a few seconds later. Luna quickly goes to the bathroom and shuts the door behind her. She looks into the mirror and sighs as she brushes her teeth with half opened eyes. She spits into the sink before using her mouthwash. Her eyes widen after five seconds as she swishes the mouthwash in her mouth before spiting it out.

"This stuff still stings in my mouth, maybe I should try a different brand." Luna says to herself as she goes into the shower.

She puts her head in the water and lets the water fall and run down her hair. Her eyes still half open. She takes a bottle of shampoo and squeezes some into her hand before putting the bottle back and lathering the shampoo in her hair. She rinses it off and does the same with the conditioner.

Luna steps out of the shower a few minutes later and grabs a towel before opening the cabinet and takes out a small orange container with a white cap. She takes off the cap and tips the container and taps it lightly until an indigo colored pill comes out. She holds the pill in her hand as she puts the cap back on the container and puts it in the cabinet. She takes a small cup and fills it with water before putting the pill in her mouth and washing it down with the water. She swallows before putting the cup back and wrapping her bathrobe around her and going into her room.

She gets dressed as fast as she can and packs her laptop into her laptop bag and picks it up along with her briefcase.She knocks on Peanut Butter's door as she heads to the living room.

"Come on P.B., we're running late, you need to be ready, we'll get breakfast at the drive-thru." Luna shouts while in the living room.

Peanut Butter comes out dressed with his backpack hanging over his shoulder walking to the living room before grabbing his boots and putting them on. Luna does the same with her shoes as they both rush out the door and get into the car.

After getting fast food for breakfast they reach the school right before the first bus shows. Peanut Butter grabs his food and heads off to meet with Sunset while Luna heads to her office. The sky is clear as the sun peeks through the buildings before entering the school. Luna opens the door to the main office as the secretary is taking calls.

"Luna, you had a call, I wrote the number and message for you." The secretary says as she hands a slip of paper to Luna.

Luna takes the note, "Thank you." She says with a small smile on her face.

She then opens the door to her office and goes inside. She sets down her laptop bag and briefcase before sitting on the chair behind her desk as she looks at the note. She sighs and picks up the phone.

"You called me Dr. Clear Mind?" Luna asks.

"Moving up the appointments?"

"A session is supposed to be longer than planned?"

"I think two in the afternoon would work better."

"Okay, see you then."

Luna groans as she falls back on her chair.

"Can anything else go wrong?" Luna asks as she stares at the ceiling.

Just then Celestia comes into Luna's office with a stack of paper. Luna looks towards her with the bottom of her right eye twitching. Celestia sets the paperwork on her desk.

"These need to be signed off today, The school board is placing new rules and we need to sign these to state that we have reviewed them." Celestia states.

"I'll get what I can done, but I'll be leaving with P.B. at one for our appointments."

"I thought it wasn't until four."

"It was just rescheduled."

"Ah, you look like a train wreck."

"Yeah, long night as you know."

"Yes, do you want me to get you some coffee?"

"Yes please."

"I'll be right back."

"Thank you."

Celestia leaves as Luna sighs and rubs her head. She goes through the papers as she waits.

Celestia returns with Luna's cup. The mug has a picture of a cat on it with the phrase 'I Hate Mornings' on it before setting it on Luna's desk. Luna looks up at her with a small smile.

"Thank you sister, hopefully this will help." Luna thanks before picking up the cup and sipping from it.

"You're welcome, have you decided on what to bring for the dinner for Thanksgiving?"

"No I haven't."

"You don't have much time Luna."

"I know, but in case you forgot, I have been taking care of a teenage boy for the past few weeks, sorry for not keeping up with family gatherings."

"Sounds like you needed that coffee after all."

"You think so?"

Luna takes another sip of her coffee as Celestia leans on the door frame.

"I'm sorry sister, it's just been a long rough few days for me." Luna apologizes.

"I understand, I've been there, remember?"

"Oh yes, I should have hooked you up to an IV filled with wine for those first three weeks."

"I think that would have been a good idea at the time."

They both chuckle at Celestia's remark.

"Hopefully the doctor will give me a bit more insight."

"He will."

"If you say so."

"I know so."

Luna smiles a bit before looking down at the paperwork.

"I'll leave you be to the paperwork. "Celestia says before returning to her office.

Luna takes out her laptop and turns it on. She clicks on the music player and has it play while she works.

As she is looking over papers one has her looking at it for over five minutes before walking to Celestia's office.

"Sister, what is the meaning of this?"Luna asks.

"What are you talking about Luna?"

"This form stating that we will be under investigation by the board for under performance."

"We've been falling behind and the board feels that we aren't doing our job."

"Maybe if we didn't have so many events we would do better."

"We wouldn't need those events if we weren't underfunded."

"This is still unacceptable."

"It's going to happen, I don't like it either, but we have no control over it."

"Fine, but I'm still upset about this."

Luna signs the paper and places it on Celestia's desk before going back to her office. She sits on her chair and leans back in her seat. She picks up her mug and takes a sip from it before looking out the window. She sighs as the wind blows a couple leaves off the trees, causing them to fall to the ground. She then turns back towards her desk and continues looking over the paperwork.

Three hours later Luna looks at the clock before she packs her laptop and picks up the school phone.

"Can you send Peanut Butter to my office?" Luna asks.

"Thank you."

She hangs up and puts on her coat before she organizes her desk.

Peanut Butter enters her office a couple minutes later.

"What's up?" Peanut Butter asks.

"Good news, you are getting out of school early."

"Why?"

"Our appointments got rescheduled, so we'll be getting lunch on the way over there."

"How far is this doctor?"

"About an hour's drive."

"That far?"

"It's worth the drive."

"I'll have to go to my locker to get my bag."

"Okay."

Luna picks up her purse, laptop bag, and keys before following him to his locker. As they walk the empty halls, Peanut Butter sighs.

"It's kind of eerie walking through a quiet hall." Peanut Butter says.

"Try this at night."

"Oh god I can't imagine."

"When I was younger I came here at night as a dare."

"How?"

"I hid in the library and spent the night there."

"Ah."

They reach Peanut Butter's locker as he pops the lock on it. Luna raises an eyebrow at this.

"How did you learn that?" Luna asks.

"Someone taught me."

He grabs his jacket and puts it on before slinging the bag over his shoulder by one strap. Luna leads as he follows her to the car.

They both get in as Luna and Peanut Butter put their belongings in the back seat and get in the front. They both buckle their seat belts before Luna starts the car and pulls out of the parking space. Peanut Butter changes the station on the radio to a rock station. Luna smirks at this.

"You've grown fond of that station haven't you?" Luna asks.

"Yeah, rock speaks to me for some reason."

"That's good to know."

A half hour later Luna pulls into a drive-thru at a fast food restaurant and turns to Peanut Butter.

"What do you want to eat?" Luna asks.

"The number three with a Popsi."

"Okay."

She pulls up to the speaker and orders the food then drives to the window to pay. She gives the food to Peanut Butter to hold onto before putting the drinks in the cup holders and driving off again. They stop by a parking lot that is in front of a lake with Luna parking with the front facing the lake. Peanut Butter looks at Luna raising an eyebrow.

"Why are we here?" he asks.

"We still have some time before our appointments and I thought we could have lunch here."

"Why here though?"

"My mother did this with Celestia and I when we were kids, I thought I'd share the experience with you."

Peanut Butter lowers his head and looks away with a small smile on his face.

"Gee, I don't know what to say other than thanks."

"You're welcome, now let's eat."

They both eat their lunch with little to nothing said to each other before heading off again.

Another half hour pasts before Luna pulls into a parking lot next to a large house. The house has a light blue outside with white shudders and a large oak tree in the front. Luna and Peanut Butter get out of the car and enter the front of the house.

As they enter they see a living room themed waiting room with a couch, end table, and a fireplace. Peanut Butter sits on the couch while Luna checks them in.

A couple minutes later she sits next to Peanut Butter and waits. Just then the doctor comes out of a room, He is short with salt and pepper hair wearing a grey wool sweater with dress pants and brown loafers.

"Miss Solstice, you can come in now." He says.

"Thank you, P.B. you stay here until I come out."

Peanut Butter nods as he looks down. Luna goes into the room as Clear Mind shuts the door.

"Take a seat on the couch please." The doctor requests.

Luna sits down and takes out papers from her purse and gives them to him. He looks them over and sets them aside before turning to her.

"Thank you for those forms, makes the transition a lot easier." Clear Mind thanks as he gets a pen and paper out.

"You're welcome."

"So how have things been for you?"

"Busy and chaotic thanks to the new addition to the family."

"Are you referring to the young man out in the waiting room?"

"Yes."

Clear Mind grabs the papers and looks them over.

"How has the medicine been working?"

"Very well actually, I think this is the best one for me."

"That's good to hear, I'll give you a script for a refill after we take care of things here, so how have the flashbacks been?"

"They, have been a bit more frequent lately."

"How frequent?"

"At least four or five a week."

"What have they been about?"

"Most of them about losing my mother, other times it was from what I did afterwards and the hell it put on my sister."

"What did you do?"

"Drink myself to sleep, steal, and do drugs."

"You were arrested a couple times weren't you?"

"Yes."

"For what?"

"Breaking and entering and drug possession."

"Good to see that you have cleaned up since then, when did the flashbacks start picking up?"

"About the same time I took in P.B.."

"What does that stand for?"

"Peanut Butter."

"Ah, what an interesting name, how long ago did you take him in?"

"A couple months ago."

"Does he remind you of yourself?"

"At times."

"How so?"

"The way he acts at times and how he looked when I saw him reminded me of myself and how far I've come."

"Ah, from my point of view, it maybe time to confront your past, while the flashbacks will always remain, but maybe accepting your past will help you."

"I don't know if I can accept the things that I did."

"Don't rush it, you'll be ready when you are ready."

"Thank you doctor."

"You're quite welcome."

"There really hasn't been much else going on, work and home have been mostly the same."

“Well, what is the same for you at work?”

“Signing papers, scolding students, and trying to control chaos.”

“Sounds stressful.”

“That and boring too.”

“Do you feel as if your life has stagnated?”

“I’m not sure, Peanut Butter has made it more interesting sometimes at least.”

“That doesn’t mean it isn’t stagnate.”

“I don’t know.”

“A change may help you.”

“What kind of changes?”

“Weekend adventures, doing something spontaneous, change things up every once in a while.”

“I’ll try.”

"That's alright."

"Thank you."

Clear Mind takes a pad of paper and writes on it before giving her a slip of paper. Luna puts it in her purse.

"Would you like to have Peanut Butter come in?"

"Yes, though call him P.B.."

"Is that what he prefers?"

"Yes, he might be a bit testy and resistant."

"Not my first time dealing with people like that, especially teenagers."

"I'll get him."

Luna gets up and opens the door and goes to the waiting room to see Peanut Butter staring out the window. She puts her hand on his shoulder causing him to jump before turning his head towards her. His eyes are wide before sighing.

"Don't do that, you scared the shit out of me!" Peanut Butter shouts.

"Sorry, but it's your turn."

"I don't want to."

"You don't have a choice."

They stare at each other for a minute before he gets up.

"Fine, I'll go." He says begrudgingly as he heads to the office.

"I'll be in there when you're finished."

"Whatever."

He closes the door and sits down across from Clear Mind.

"Why hello P.B., I'm doctor Clear Mind, how are you?"

"I'm fine I guess."

"Do you know why you're here?"

"To fix me or drug me up."

"No, I'm here to help you, that's what I do for a job."

"Good for you."

"I'm sorry for what happened to you all those years ago."

"Don't be, it's all in the past now."

"Doesn't make it any less hurtful."

"Time heals all wounds."

"Not always."

"How so?"

"Trauma will always leave a mark, no matter how long it has been and you have suffered a great deal of it I bet."

"What makes you say that?"

"You are dodging my questions and being defensive, a trait common for those that have had that experience, you just blocked it out for so long in denial that it doesn't bother you anymore."

"Whatever, I'll play along with your game."

"Very well, so P.B., tell me about your time out in the world."

Author's Note:

Holy crap, I finally finished the first part of this two part chapter. Sorry for the long wait, life and priorities got in the way. You might see the second part in a couple weeks since I am working to get stuff done before I go to Retrocon.