• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 2,037 Views, 147 Comments

Getting Back to Good - FlufferNutters



Life can throw things at you that you don't expect. It's up to you to take the first steps. This is Peanut Butter's journey. (This takes place in the Equestria Girls universe)

  • ...
5
 147
 2,037

Pieces (edited)

Peanut Butter and Sunset Shimmer walk about a half mile in silence before Sunset decides to speak.

"Look, I don't understand what just happened between you, my mom, and Luna, but we have to go back at some point." Sunset worries.

"At this point, I don't know if I want to go back."

"Must have been pretty bad huh?"

"Luna's only talking care of me because of I'm my father's son, she doesn't care about me, she cares about him,"

Sunset looks away from him unsure of what to say next as she takes out her phone quietly and records the conversation.

"Though out those five years I've been away each person I came to only took me in as if I was a trophy going 'Hey, look, I'm taking care of Home Run's son, THE Home Run.' I hate it and it only gets worse with each mention."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"If that's all I'm going to be maybe I'm better off alone."

"No one deserves to be alone, I should know, I was alone for the longest time."

"How so?"

"Doing stupid things and having ideals that ended up being the end of me at the time," Sunset hesitates to mention her turning into a she demon and being blasted by a magical rainbow. "After I was knocked down a few pegs by a few people I saw what I did wrong and felt miserable about it, thankfully the friends I have now helped me get on the right track along with Celestia."

"That doesn't relate to me though, I always lived under his shadow and was only known about because of him," Peanut Butter's eyes start to well up as his voice cracks. "After he died I was invisible to everyone, like I never existed."

"I wasn't trying to compare my situation to yours, I was just saying that you shouldn't be alone."

"Sorry I'm just," Tears start to fall down Peanut Butter's face. "It's making me think this past week was all just a lie, that I'm just meant to be non existent. Seems like the only people that care about me are you and Rares."

"Wow, I never knew, But what about AppleJack?"

"At this point I lost that friendship from her when I left, I'm surprised Rarity still stuck around."

"She might come around though."

"Doubt it, she wasn't the forgiving sort when I was still around."

"That was then, this is now."

"True, though I doubt she changed."

"I can't say."

"I know."

"So I've been meaning to ask, why the change from how you were a week ago to now?"

"I guess you can say I was knocked down quite a few pegs myself, something we have in common."

"Yeah."

"I haven't had a chance to really think about the change other than that, maybe deep down I just had enough and this was a way to come back, though I'm doubting that at this point."

"Don't go doubting yourself."

"I just don't know at this point."

"Where are we going anyways?"

"Some place quiet."

Sunset stops recording and continues to follow.

After walking for an hour they come across a cemetery, Peanut Butter jumps the fence with Sunset Shimmer following behind him unsure of his actions. They walk the field of headstones until they reach a large headstone with three names on it each name covering a separate plot and is black and smooth, Peanut Butter sits on the grass and stares at the stone, Sunset follows and sits next to him and records again, hiding it from him. Peanut Butter sits in silence as Sunset Shimmer observes.

"You still miss them huh?" Sunset questions as she looks at the headstone.

"Everyday I miss them, if I had the power to, I'd bring them back."

"I think if anyone had that kind of power they'd do the same."

"I just want to be recognized for something I did, not my mom or dad."

"Well maybe now could be your chance."

"Who knows, at this rate though I doubt it."

Sunset looks at the flower pots around the headstone and in front of it and smiles.

"Looks like you really care since you gave them nice flowers."

"What do you," Peanut Butter inquires as he looks to see the new flowers in place, his eyes welling up again. "mean?, I didn’t put those there."

"If it wasn't you, then who?"

Back at Celestia's home Luna is curled up on the couch looking down with her eyes red and puffy from her crying. Celestia places a small cup in front of her and sits next to her pulling her into a hug.

"It'll be okay Lulu, Sunset is with him remember?" Celestia says in a soft voice.

"I screwed this whole thing up."

"No you didn't."

Just then Celestia's phone rings from her receiving a message. She gets up and sees its from Sunset Shimmer and the message has an audio recording.

"Clever girl, though she'll be grounded from her phone for longer."

Celestia goes back to Luna and plays the audio recording. As they listen to the recording Luna sinks back into the couch as she curls herself up tighter into a ball as she slowly starts to cry again. Celestia returns to comforting her as she thinks of what to say.

"Everything will be okay Lulu." Celestia says calmly.

"I screwed everything up! What would Home Run think?"

"And there lies the problem, you obsess on what Home Run would think and do this all for him, P.B. is not Home Run."

"But he's still Home Run's son."

"I know, but he's still his own person, he wants to escape that shadow his father cast, give him that chance Luna."

"How?"

"Start by apologizing to him, you can also start with how he finished a full day's work in a quarter of the time."

"He really did that?"

Celestia nods.

"He's a very bright kid, maybe you should compliment that."

"I should, I should have been more considerate of him," Luna rubs her eyes. "It's just knowing that he's Home Run's son makes it feel like I'm obligated to do this."

"Well you didn't know when you first took him in,"

"Like I had a choice."

"You had a choice, either take him in or just call the cops and be done with him, you saw something in him that he can’t if with the right guidance and support could become something amazing and to be proud of didn't you?"

Luna stays silent hiding her face once again. Celestia sends a text to Sunset asking where they are before comforting Luna again.

"Will you be okay by yourself Luna while I pick up Sunset and P.B.?"

"I should be okay Tia."

Celestia's phone buzzes a minute later as she gets up and answers it as she puts on her shoes and takes Luna's keys before heading out. Luna stays on the couch as she catches a third wind and cries again.

Back at the cemetery Peanut Butter sits still looking at the grass while Sunset has her hand on his shoulder.

"Celestia is on her way to pick us up."

Peanut Butter stays silent as he continues to stare at the grass. Sunset sighs as a small rumble of thunder can be heard. Sunset sighs again as she gets up and notices Luna's car pulling in with Celestia driving.

"She's here." Sunset informs Peanut Butter as she heads to the car.

Peanut Butter gets up and joins Sunset and gets in the car when Celestia pulls up. He gets into the backseat and looks out the window after shutting the door. They all stay silent on the car ride back as small drops of rain hit the windshield. They pull into the driveway and go back inside Celestia's house with Peanut Butter walking slowly behind them and avoiding eye contact with Luna who is still on the couch. He sits on the floor next to the couch and curls up looking towards the window with his back against the arm of the couch. Sunset goes with Celestia to help finish cooking dinner.

After five minutes of silence Luna looks towards Peanut Butter's direction seeing the top part of his head. She puts her head down.

"I heard you completed a day's work in a quarter of the time, I'm impressed." Luna mentions with a bit of pride in her voice.

Peanut Butter lifts his head up and looks towards Luna, surprised at her sudden compliment.

"You really mean that?"

"Yes I do, you're a pretty gifted person if you can do that."

"Thanks," He cracks a small smile. "that means a lot to me."

"You're welcome,"

Peanut Butter stays silent looking at Luna.

"Look, I'm sorry for what I said earlier, I was just upset at the time and didn't think what I was saying," Luna admits as she looks at him with tears still in her eyes. "I probably broke what little trust you had towards me and hopefully you forgive me."

"I," Peanut Butter's voice cracks slightly as his well up once more. "I forgive you."

"So quickly?"

"Yes and no, I forgive you, but not completely."

"I understand."

Celestia looks at them with a content smile before she speaks.

"Dinner is ready you two." Celestia says.

Luna and Peanut Butter get up and head to the table as thunder booms outside and see the heavy rain pour.

"It's been raining a lot lately hasn't it?" Luna asks.

"It's supposed to be like this for the rest of the week, I hate rainy season I swear."

"The drive home is going to be a nightmare."

"You know you're welcome to spend the night here."

"We'll see Tia."

Celestia returns to the dining room with Sunset behind her both sitting down and all of them start to eat. Peanut Butter eats his food slowly as he stares at his plate and keeping to himself. Everyone else eats though it is more quiet compared to most times that Luna is over for dinner. After dinner the rain dies down as Luna looks out to check the weather. She turns to Celestia as she gathers her purse and puts on her shows with Peanut Butter getting his belongings too and follows her to the door.

"I'll see you both tomorrow." Luna says in a tired voice.

"See you two later."

With that Peanut Butter and Luna leave and head home. Celestia sighs and looks at Sunset Shimmer.

"I thank you for going with him so willingly." Celestia thanked in a happy tone.

"I felt it was the right thing to do, he needed someone that could contact Luna or you."

"That was more of his idea to keep the cops off his tail, but it was a good call on his part."

"Do you think Aunt Luna is lightening up on him?"

"I can't really say for certain, but it looks like it, though maybe not for the right reasons until now at least."

"I think it was an eye opener for both of them."

"Hopefully, but we won't know right away,"

Celestia opens her hand towards Sunset Shimmer.

"Also hand me your phone, you were supposed to be grounded from it." Celestia scolds as she has a stern look on her face.

Sunset hands her phone over to Celestia before looking out the window. She sighs before going back to her room to continue her homework. Celestia smirks before going to her room.

The ride home for Luna and Peanut Butter is quiet as they head home. Peanut Butter stares out the window as the rain still falls down with Luna focusing on the road. The feeling in the air is calm yet cold as if it was the calm before either a storm or a cool sunny day. They reach home and go inside as the rain starts to pick up. Peanut Butter takes off his shoes and goes to his room with Luna going into hers and falls onto her bed with a long sigh. The rest of the night was quiet as Peanut Butter and Luna were left to their own devices as the night came and sleep follows close behind.

Author's Note:

Short chapter this time, expect a holiday one shot soon :)