• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 2,037 Views, 147 Comments

Getting Back to Good - FlufferNutters



Life can throw things at you that you don't expect. It's up to you to take the first steps. This is Peanut Butter's journey. (This takes place in the Equestria Girls universe)

  • ...
5
 147
 2,037

Adjustment (edited)

Peanut Butter waits for Luna to return as he takes back his parent's card to him from Luna's desk before returning to the corner.

After five minutes Luna returns to her office with the clothes and a trash bag. She enters her office quietly and sees Peanut Butter in the corner of the room staring at his book bag. The office is somewhat lit as she places the clothes and bag on a table near her desk before kneeling down in front of Peanut Butter.

"I got you some spare clothes, I'll be waiting for you outside of the office while you change, put your old clothes in the bag and come outside with your belongings and I'll take you to my apartment." Luna says.

Peanut Butter looks up at Luna with half open eyes with an unwilling look on his face and sighs before getting up. Luna leaves and waits outside her office. While Peanut Butter changes Luna places her hand on her chin with a finger covering part of her mouth as she stares at the floor.

Three minutes later the door opens to reveals Peanut Butter in grey sweat pants and a Wondercolts shirt. He stays silent as Luna checks him over before she points out the nearby trash can gesturing him to throw out his old clothes. He does so before Luna leads him to her car. The rain comes down hard as Luna and Peanut Butter exit the school. Luna takes out and umbrella and stops Peanut Butter by the door, still under an awning.

"Stay here, I'll bring the car around so you don't get too wet." Luna says.

Peanut Butter gives no response or any reaction to what she said.

Luna runs out to get into her car and drives to the front of the school to let Peanut Butter in her car. He gets in the car clinging to his bag trying not to get it wet. After he puts on the seat belt Luna drives home.

The way home is silent as Peanut Butter stares out the window. Luna focuses on the road though her eyes say otherwise. Peanut Butter lets out a sigh though he says nothing. Luna doesn't ask or try to snoop into his thoughts and just continues to drive home.

Luna and Peanut Butter arrive at her apartment after running through the rain. Luna unlocks the door and opens it. They walk inside as Peanut Butter sees a spacious living room painted white with a tan carpet. The room has dark blue furniture spaced out with a large TV against one of the walls.

Luna takes off her shoes and heads towards her kitchen. Peanut Butter closes the door though he stands at the entrance not moving. Peanut Butter leans back on the door before sliding down pressing his legs to his book bag, his eyes half shut. Luna checks on him and sees him curled up. Luna walks over and kneels next to Peanut Butter putting her hand on his shoulder.

Peanut Butter looks over at Luna then looks away not moving and not saying a word the only response is a sigh. Luna gets up and goes back to the kitchen to make dinner for them both.

"I bet you're hungry Peanut Butter, I'll make us something simple tonight, how about spaghetti and meatballs?" Luna asks.

Luna hears mumbling from Peanut Butter and goes back to him and kneels down next to him.

"What did you say?" Luna asks.

"No red sauce please."

"Okay, no red sauce it is."

Luna heads back to the kitchen. Peanut Butter stays curled up against the door. Luna checks on him every few minutes or so to make sure he's okay.

After a half hour she finishes cooking the meatballs and sets them aside to let the spaghetti finish cooking. Luna stirs the pot and looks towards Peanut Butter. She notices his back moving with his breathing. But nothing else and goes towards him. She crouches down and notices his eyes are closed and she smiles a little as she puts her hand on his shoulder and shakes him gently.

"Wake up Peanut Butter, dinner is almost ready." Luna says quietly.

Peanut Butter groans as he wakes up. He looks at Luna with tired eyes.

"Okay."

"The bathroom is the first door to your left in the hallway, your room is right across from it, please wash your hands before dinner."

Peanut Butter gets up and takes off his shoes before heading to the bathroom to clean up for dinner. He slowly treads towards the bathroom still in a sleepy haze.

When he enters the bathroom and sees the dark blue towels, Shower curtain and floor mats. He turns towards the sink and looks at himself in the mirror. His face looks tired and dirty as his eyes are half shut. He turns on the water of the sink and washes his hands. He looks up at the mirror again. He stares at his own reflection seeing himself for the first time in days. He sees how much he has changed in a short time. His eyes are bloodshot as his face looks like it has seen better days with the cuts he has gotten over time especially the fresh ones from earlier and a small scar about half an inch long on the side of his face.

After five minutes Luna knocks on the bathroom door.

"Are you okay in there?" Luna asks.

Peanut Butter snaps out of his train of thought and quickly washes his hands.

"Uh yeah, just give me a couple minutes."

"Okay."

With a sigh Peanut Butter dries off his hands and leaves the bathroom. As he makes his way to the kitchen he looks at the pictures of Luna smiling with Celestia at what looks like a party. He turns toward the kitchen and enters to see Luna sitting on a stool and an empty stool and a plate of food with a glass of water next to it. Peanut Butter sits on the stool and starts eating.

After a few minutes of silence Luna decides to try and talk to him.

"So Peanut Butter.....tell me more about yourself." Luna says.

Peanut Butter just looks up at her raising an eyebrow before going back to eating. Luna sighs before she picks up her fork and continues eating.

After a couple minutes Peanut Butter gives a frustrated sigh knowing which side of him won before looking at Luna.

"What do you want to know?" Peanut Butter asks in a frustrated tone.

Luna looks up and finishes her bite.

"What are your interests?"

"Writing or drawing depending on my mood."

"Oh, what do you write?"

Peanut Butter's face changing from frustrated to annoyed.

"Look I know what your trying to do and it's not going to work, I've ran into too many social workers through out the years. I'm not going to soften up and think that everything is fine and okay, so if that's what you're planing its not going to work."

Luna raises her eyebrow knowing that right now he's trying to push her away and thinking of a way to get him to lower his guard just enough to get him to give her any kind of interests of his she could use to help him transition into his new life.

"I'm not a social worker now am I?" Luna asks.

"Not that I know of, but you sound like one."

"I'm actually the vice principal of Canterlot High, my sister is the principal there, it's quite a nice place when nothing magical happens over there."

"So I've heard, so why take me in, why didn't you two just bring me to the cops?"

"Because we felt that this would be a better option for you, however we left the choice to you."

"It wasn't much of a choice."

"You still have a choice, but then you would be in the custody of the police and most likely be placed in a foster home."

Peanut Butter takes a bite of food and sighs.

"So this is pretty much a nice prison."

"Only if you think like that it will be."

Peanut Butter rolls his eyes and finishes eating.

"Thanks for the food by the way." Peanut Butter says.

"You're quite welcome, I'll show you to your room and I'd like you to take a shower, after that you may go to bed if you want, we'll get you your own clothes tomorrow."

"Okay."

Peanut Butter grabs his book bag from the door before Luna leads him to a medium sized room with dark blue curtains and a medium sized bed with dark blue sheets and comforter and a ceiling fan with an pine wood desk and chair on the other side of the room.

"Looks like I know your favorite color at least." Peanut Butter says entering the room.

"Guilty as charged, I'll grab you a spare towel to use."

Luna heads to her room and grabbing a spare towel. Peanut Butter sets his bag down and takes out the present and places it on the corner of the desk and takes the card and places it behind the gift standing it up against the wall. He smiles as he looks at them. He hears Luna returning and turns around to see her with a towel for him and a spare set of clothes from the school.

"Thanks." Peanut Butter says while looking down at the floor.

"You're welcome."

Peanut Butter takes the towel and extra clothes before going to the bathroom and closing the door. He lets out a deep sigh before taking off his clothes and getting in the shower. As the water hits his head he closes his eyes and listens to the water as it hits the floor of the tub. The sound of falling water has always been his favorite sound as it helps him feel at peace and able to think as his breath slows down. Or at least to stop thinking. In his mind many thoughts rush through his head at once causing him to be distracted, Forgetful and distant at worst. He sighs deeply as the voices of his thoughts are distant and they fade away from his mind. Finally at peace with himself for once as the only sounds he hears is the falling water hitting the bottom of the tub. His mind and body are tired as the events of the day play in his mind as the stream of the hot water fills the bathroom. He washes his hair as he recalls his actions and what he did wrong, intensifying his scrubbing as his thoughts start to race again. He starts to doubt himself as a war between two parts of himself get into conflict. Were his choices the wrong ones or is his own mind working against him because he feels it's about time to move on? He finishes washing his hair and body, scratch marks on his arm as he shuts off the water. He wrings out the water in his hair before grabbing the towel and drying off. He steps out of the tub and goes to the sink before wiping away the steam from the mirror. He stares at his reflection again. But this time without the dirt and dried up blood. He gives his reflection a stone like stare as he dries the rest of his body off and gets dressed in the clean set of spare clothes.

He walks out of the bathroom his previously worn clothes in one hand and the towel in the other. He hears Luna cleaning up as he opens the door to his room before entering and closes it quietly and locks it as he tosses his clothes on the seat of the chair and the towel on top of the back of the chair. He lays on the bed listening to the rain still pouring outside as he slowly starts to drift off to sleep.

Luna finishes cleaning the kitchen smiling at her work. She peeks into the hallway to see if Peanut Butter is still in the shower. She notices the hallway is dark and sees the door to his room is closed. She sighs hoping that he would have came out to talk a bit more before he went to sleep. But with the eventful day they both had Luna thinks Peanut Butter has the right idea. Luna goes to her room and gets into her Pajamas before opens up her laptop to look up adoption laws and to talk with Celestia about Peanut Butter. Luna updates Celestia on what happened after her and Peanut Butter got home and what she learned about him. After about an hour later Luna turns off her laptop and turns on the TV for a few hours before falling asleep with it on.

Author's Note:

This chapter took me a while to do. But it's done. What does the next day have in store? You'll just have to wait and find out.