• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 2,033 Views, 147 Comments

Getting Back to Good - FlufferNutters



Life can throw things at you that you don't expect. It's up to you to take the first steps. This is Peanut Butter's journey. (This takes place in the Equestria Girls universe)

  • ...
5
 147
 2,033

Bonds (edited)

At Celestia’s home Sunset Shimmer is doing her homework silently in her room. She writes down the last math problem as her mind reflects on the day's events when there is a knock coming from her door.

"Come in." Sunset says.

The door opens with Celestia standing in the doorway with a small smirk on her face.

"Pizza is here, did you finish your homework?"

"Yeah, just finished it."

"Good, ready for movie night?"

"Yeah I am, I'll be down in a bit."

"Don't be too long, also pick out a nice outfit for tomorrow we'll be going out right after classes end."

"Where are we going?"

"The boardwalk, it's about an hour away from here, Luna thought we could all use the trip before it closes for the winter."

"Do you think P.B. will, run off?"

"No, he knows what will happen if he does and I think he is starting to make a turn around from what I've been hearing."

Celestia's cell phone rings a few seconds after. She takes it out of her pocket she sees Luna's number on it. She answers before going downstairs.

“Hey Luna, what’s,” Celestia greets just before hearing Luna crying.

"Luna, What's wrong?" Celestia asks.

"What happened?"

"What did you do to cause him to snap at you?"

"I told you not to push him when he doesn't want to talk."

"Give him space for the rest of the night, see how he is in the morning."

"No Luna, interacting with him right now will get rid of the progress you already made and you would have to start further back than square one."

"I know you're worried, do you have an extra key to the room?"

"If you're that worried wait until its quiet and check on him, he'll probably tire himself out if he's crying that much."

"Okay, let me know how he is, love you too Luna."

She hangs up and looks towards the stairs and sees Sunset in her pajamas coming down the stairs as a concerned look is on her face.

"How much did you hear?" Celestia asks.

"I heard enough, I take it Luna pushed and he pushed back?"

"Yeah, he pushed back pretty hard if he made her cry."

"He was pretty snippy with Pinkie today when she kept bothering him."

"I see."

"Yeah."

Sunset Shimmer grabs a plate and gets a slice of pizza before sitting on the couch with Celestia doing the same after her. Sunset turns on Neighflix and selects a romantic comedy.

"A Romcom?, never thought you were the type." Celestia says jokingly.

Sunset giggles a bit.

"This one is an exception."

"Ah, so anything else happen today?"

"Not much, Mrs. Harshwhinny did a pop quiz on us today."

"How did you do?"

"Hopefully I passed, she has a tendency of doing them based on information we haven't really covered in class."

"Well she wants her students to understand what happened behind the scenes as well as know the events themselves."

"True, so what's with Peanut Butter?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like who is he? Who were his parents?"

Celestia sighs with a smile and takes a deep breath before looking at Sunset Shimmer.

"His mother I don't know of, his father was a good friend of aunt Luna and I in High school, we were close knit in the two years he stayed and went to Canterlot High, Luna had a crush on him and at one point asked him out. "

"What did his father tell Luna?"

"He told her yes, they were the talk of the school for weeks, I was happy for her."

"Did you have a thing for him too?"

"No I didn't, he was a nice guy for sure just not my type, we stayed good friends at least, though after he left Luna and him couldn't keep a relationship so they broke it off on good terms, when I heard he came back to Canterlot I was happy and was going to catch up with him before telling Luna until I heard about the accident, both Luna and I were devastated her more than I."

"So why do you think Luna took Peanut Butter in?"

"Originally it was to respect my wishes, now that she knows he is her ex's son, she is probably doing it for her friend and former lover."

"What was his name?"

"Home Run."

"Ah, what do you think is up with Peanut Butter though? He's got this loner vibe coming off of him which is making it harder to help him."

"He seems like a very scared and lonely child inside in need of someone who can heal him, though it sounds like he doesn't want people to get too close to him for now at least."

"Why do you think Peanut Butter is like that?"

"I feel that over time he's had a few knives put into his back metaphorically and can't really trust people anymore or if rarely, what brings this up?"

"Just curious is all, trying to find ways to help him."

"I see, anyone still bothering you?"

"Not really, after that whole battle of the bands thing people have been either neutral or nice to me."

"That's good to hear."

"Yeah, I'm just glad I'm on most of their good sides."

"You've changed a lot in that short amount of time, I can recall how withdrawn you were when I first took you home."

"Yeah, I gave you hell at first, I still feel guilty about that."

"Don't be, you weren't in the best of conditions, it took some time to get you to come around though."

"Yeah, I still feel guilty though."

"You'll feel that way until you learn to forgive yourself."

"I know, I just don't think I'm ready to just yet at least."

Celestia gets up and starts to make some tea as Sunset stretches a bit.

"Take as much time as you need, who knows, maybe what you've learned could help him in a way."

"Maybe."

"I'll be popping some popcorn in a bit, just getting the kettle warmed up."

"Okay, can you pour me a cup please?"

"Sure."

As the water is heating up Celestia breaks out a popcorn maker that looks like one of the carts a person would see at the county fair and starts popping popcorn as Sunset watches the movie that's playing.

After fifteen minutes Celestia returns with a bowl of popcorn before heading back to the kitchen to get the cups of tea. She returns and places one in front of Sunset. Sunset smiles and takes the cup.

"Thanks mom." Sunset says.

"You're quite welcome."

They both drink their tea as the movie finishes with Celestia picking the next movie which is an old adventure movie before drinking her tea. She sees a soft smile on Sunset and smiles that her determination and hard work resulted in Sunset being who she is today. Sunset takes a sip of her tea as she watches the movie. Celestia sets her cup down to grab a handful of popcorn as she focuses back on the movie.

"This was my favorite movie growing up, still is a favorite of mine." Celestia says.

"I can see why, I've always enjoyed adventure stories."

"Oh? Why is that?"

"The exploration, the thrill of the journey and the new experiences."

"I guess you never thought this would be a good adventure huh?"

"It wasn't at first, but after the fall formal I think I started to enjoy the small adventures around town, if it wasn't for my travel here as well as that kick in the butt I got, I probably wouldn't have found home here."

Celestia smiles as she places her cup down.

"I'm glad you found a home here." Celestia says softly.

"Thank you mom, for everything."

"You're welcome."

They both sit back and finish watching the movie. As the movie finishes Sunset lets out a small yawn. Celestia hears this and smiles.

"Sounds like someone is tired." Celestia says with a small chuckle at the end.

"Yeah I am actually."

"I think it would be a good idea to call it a night early, we have a big enough day as it is tomorrow."

Sunset gets up and helps clean the end table.

"Yeah, it was a big day as it was already."

"I can see that."

Celestia and Sunset wash the dishes before heading to the stairs. They both hug each other before heading upstairs.

"Good night mom." Sunset says sleepily.

"Good night Sunset."

Celestia and Sunset go to their rooms and go to sleep.

Meanwhile Luna sits on the couch in her apartment with the tv on as Peanut Butter's crying fell silent an hour ago. Luna quietly gets up and goes to Peanut Butter's room before pressing her ear against the door. She hears nothing other than the sound of a fan as she takes her ear off the door and gets the key from top of the door frame and quietly unlocks it to peek in. She sees the silhouette of Peanut Butter curled up and fast asleep as she quietly goes inside and faintly sees the blanket by his feet. She gently picks it up and places it over Peanut Butter up to his neck and slowly backs away. She sees his silhouette curl up and bury his head into the blanket with a small content sigh as she walks out quietly closing the door and locking the door. She shuts off the tv in the living room and goes to her bedroom. She lays on her bed and looks at the picture of her and Home Run with a small smile on her face.

"You never made things easy didn't you? But that never stopped me didn't it?" Luna says to herself before falling asleep.