• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 2,037 Views, 147 Comments

Getting Back to Good - FlufferNutters



Life can throw things at you that you don't expect. It's up to you to take the first steps. This is Peanut Butter's journey. (This takes place in the Equestria Girls universe)

  • ...
5
 147
 2,037

Wounds (edited)

Applebloom quietly walks through the house tip toeing as she tries to miss the weak spots in the floor as she makes her way to the bathroom. She regrets drinking as much water as she did from eating Granny Smith's famous Tartarus Pepper Chili as she passes Applejack's room and notices a light is on in her room. She quietly presses her ear against the door expecting the usual noises she's heard for the past, This time however she hears crying. Applebloom lightly knocks on the door unsure if she is doing the right thing.

A few seconds later Applejack opens the door slightly and sees her.

"Shouldn't ya be in bed Bloom?" Applejack asks.

"I was goin' to the bathroom when I saw your light on an heard ya cryin', what's wrong?"

"Thanks for yer concern sis, but I don't wanna say."

"I can always tell Granny yer up late again."

Applejack sighs and opens the door wider to let Applebloom in. She enters the room and sits on the bed. The room itself is more homely with the country feel that is throughout the rest of the house though it is messy with clothes scattered everywhere and her bass standing in the corner with her desk covered in papers and books with an old picture in a frame standing up next to a couple Track and Field trophies. Applejack sits down on the chair at her desk and spins it towards Applebloom.

"Ya really wanna know Bloom?" Applejack asks.

"Yeah."

"I guess there is no way else outta it, ever since P.B. came back those old wounds have been openin' back up, whenever I see or think about him I get a sick feeling at the pit of mah stomach like I'm happy, but also feel sad too maybe or just seein' him the way it is makes me feel sorry for 'im that I couldn't help him or just, ah just don't know."

"How? I didn't notice anything like that from ya until now."

"After what happened to Ma and Pa I managed to know how ta, conceal it."

"Oh, well for a few nights now ah've been hearin moanin and stuff comin from your room too, what's with that?"

Applejack blushes a bit knowing full well what she's talking about as she tries to come up with a way to change the subject.

"You'll understand when yer older, I just have no idea what Ah'm gonna do, at least he doesn't know about this so I don't have ta worry about that, which is a relief."

"Yeah, about that, I kinda told him about what happened when he left way back then."

Applebloom looks at her with a small squeamish smile as she raises her shoulders up in a sort of scared reflex waiting for her sister to lash out at her. Applejack sighs in frustration though is also curious in how he reacted to the news. She takes a deep breath before exhaling trying to calm her nerves and looks at Applebloom.

"I'm not happy ya did that sis, But I want to know, what was his reaction to it?" Applejack asks in a curious tone.

"He looked pretty upset at it."

"Probably from guilt, that might explain why he was actin the way he was earlier today."

"Maybe you two should talk it out."

"Maybe."

Applejack's phone rings as they were talking and looks over to see it's Sunset Shimmer calling. She motions her hand towards Applebloom to leave her room by moving her hand towards the door. She obeys and leaves the room. Applejack answers the phone after shutting her bedroom door and locking it as she puts the phone to her ear.

"Hey Sunset." Applejack says calmly.

"I'm doin' ok, you?"

"Oh, you had your family trip today? Where'd ya go?"

"The boardwalk? That's a bit out there don't ya think?"

"Ah, so Luna's idea? She still tryin to get P.B. to come out of his shell?"

"Well if he's slowly doin' it I guess that's progress."

"Yeah Applebloom told me about that, can't say I'm glad she did, but his reaction is something I wasn't fully expectin'."

"Oh does he now? He should know by now that he can always come ta me if he needed someone ta talk to."

"He wants to talk ta me, but yer the one settin' it up, shows how much he cares."

"What do ya mean by an attitude?"

"Fine I'll do it."

"Yeah I can't promise not to go hard on him about it, but I'll try."

"Okay, good Night Sunset."

Applejack gets off her phone and throws it on the bed. She runs her hands through her hair frantically back and forth in frustration. She's mad at Applebloom, Sunset, and Peanut Butter. What she thought was under control turned into a mess and now has to put up with one of the few people she truly cared about back then though now her emotions are mixed about him between happiness, anger and something between regret and pity as she changes into her pajamas as she throws her day clothes to a corner and trust falls on top of her bed. She turns off her lamp that is next to her bed as she looks at the ceiling of her room with only the light of the moon to brighten the room slightly. Her heart beat starts to slow down as her mind slowly goes away from the frustration and drifts to her own imagination the more she looks at the ceiling of her room slowly calming her down. She slowly drifts off to her sleep into her dreams hoping that they will bring her some kind of comfort.

She opens her eyes to a master bedroom with a plaid blanket and oak bed frame on a king sized bed. She looks around and a couple of wooden dressers that look hand made with pictures on the top of them, a nightstand with a lamp and alarm clock on it, a television in front of the bed hanging on the wall and to her left a rocking chair with blankets on it by the window. She tries to get up and notices a full feeling at her stomach since she couldn't sit up properly as she starts to lay down again. The sound of feet hitting the wood floor with the sound of shouting of young voices is heard in the hallways and gets closer to the bedroom door.

"Mama, Apple Slice won't share his toys!" A small girl's voice screams.

"Apple Spice is lyin' mama!"

Applejack sighs as the two children climb on the bed. One is a girl with blonde hair braided like her's with hazel eyes and freckles along her face while wearing a sundress. The other is a boy slightly taller with dirty blonde within it. He is wearing glasses and is wearing his red shirt and blue jeans. They continue arguing in front of her causing her frustration to grow and lose her temper.

"Quiet both of ya, you two fight more than cats and dogs!" Applejack shouts.

The two children wince back in fear of her temper which has a reputation in the family. Applejack sighs before bringing them close to her and lays back in bed before noticing her stomach is sticking up under the blankets. The two children are still worried as Applejack sighs again.

"Look you two need to learn ta share now say sorry and go play, I'm tired." Applejack explains.

"Sorry." Apple Slice apologizes.

"Sorry." Apple Spice apologizes.

Apple Spice looks over at Applejack curiously.

"Mama?" Apple Spice asks.

"Yes?"

"Do ya know if it's gonna be a baby brother or sister?"

Applejack pauses for a bit. She smiles and looks at Apple Spice.

"Mama doesn't know yet baby girl." Applejack says softly before patting the top of Apple Spice's head.

Just then footsteps can be heard from down the hallway. They sound bigger compared to the kid's footsteps.

"What did I say about bothering your mother you two?" The voice asks. Clearly a man's voice.

"Sorry daddy." Apple Spice apologizes.

"Sorry daddy." Apple Slice apologizes.

"Now go find Auntie Applebloom while your mother and I spend some time together."

"Why can't we join you two?"

"Because I said so unless you want to see mommy and daddy kissing."

"Ewwww, come on Apple Slice let's git goin'."

They both run off out of the room just as the man was about to enter the room before everything goes white as she opens her eyes and sees she's back in her regular room with her alarm clock ringing. She moans as she gets up the dream still fresh in her mind. She gets up and grabs her towel before going to the bathroom to take a shower for what she feels will be a long day. Through out her shower her mind still lingers on the dream she had. She puts her head in the falling water of the shower and lets the water run through her hair and run down her face as she sighs slightly. She wonders why out of all the dreams she could of had it had to be that one. Her mind settles as she turns of the water and gets out to dry off and get ready for school. She groans at the fact that she has to talk to Peanut Butter today. Though as reluctant as she is about it she is willing to do so because Sunset asked her to though how it will go is uncertain to her. She finishes getting ready and goes downstairs to get breakfast and sees the rest of her family downstairs as well. She sits down at the table between Granny Smith and Applebloom with Big Mac making breakfast. Applejack has a tired expression on her face as her breakfast is placed in front of her.

"How'd ya sleep sis?" AppleBloom asks.

"Not that well."

"That's what ya get when you go ta bed angry."

"How did, how, how did you know that?"

"I mighta stayed by yer door after I left."

Applejack groans in frustration as Granny sighs staying silent as she reads the paper while she waits for them to finish their breakfast to bring them to school as Big Mac cleans up before heading to the orchard.

Meanwhile Peanut Butter sits in the hallway as he waits with Sunset Shimmer. He sighs looking over at Sunset Shimmer as his mind races from the thoughts of possibilities that may happen with the talk with Applejack as his mind fills with worry and panic. Sunset looks at him concerned trying to think of a way to cheer him up.

"It'll be ok P.B.." Sunset says with a small smile on her face.

Peanut Butter smiles back at Sunset's attempt to cheer him up before looking back to the floor again.

"Thanks for setting this up for me."

"You're welcome, she was reluctant at first, but I got her to agree to it."

"Doesn't surprise me tthough I feel like I deserve her anger."

"I didn't know you, her and Rarity went so far back until they mentioned it."

"Yeah."

He sighs just as someone stands in front of him. Peanut Butter looks up to see Applejack with a scowl and an angry look in her eyes.

"C'mon let's git this over with P.B.." Applejack sharply says in an angry tone of voice.

Rarity sits next to Sunset Shimmer as Peanut Butter gets up and follows Applejack.

"Applejack seems a bit crabby today, shark week?" Sunset Shimmer asks.

Rarity simply nods.

"This is going to be a long day." Sunset says as she pinches the bridge of her nose.

Applejack and Peanut Butter walk to a dark hallway on the other side of the school. Peanut Butter places his bag on the floor and stands in front of a very angry Applejack with her arms crossed. He stays silent as looks away from her too ashamed to even look at her. She sighs before speaking.

"This is how it's gonna go, I talk and you listen, once I say ah'm done then you talk, am I crystal clear?" Applejack says.

He nods not saying a word.

"Outta all the stupid things you did back then you thought running away was the best option? did ya ever think how your little stunt could have hurt me and Rarity back then? you mightah not been in the right mindset at the time, but my god that was fucking stupid! I was destroyed after ya ran off ta god knows where, then five years later ya suddenly pop outta nowhere back here, haven't ya done enough ta me five years ago? now ya have to come back here thinkin' that we were just gonna get along again like then? sorry ta break it to ya P.B. that's not how life works, I am mad at ya and I will be for a very long time! cause right now we ain't friends, you left that five years ago, so you have a choice here P.B, you can either stay here and actually fix what you broke and show me ya wanna repair that bridge you burned or you can pick up your bag and leave again and do more damage though I bet you have done plenty of that in those five years ya left us, so what is it gonna be?"

Peanut Butter stays silent and falls to his knees speechless. Applejack glares at him.

"So ya really want to make things better after all."

Peanut Butter gets up and is met with a hard pain in his gut and sees Applejack's fist against his chest.

"That's fer runnin' away!"

He stands straight again and is met with a slap to his face by Applejack.

"That's fer hurtin' me and Rarity."

He braces for another hit when he is met with an embrace of a hug.

"That's fer coming back and stayin' fer good."

He feels tears rolling down his face as he returns the hug.

"I'm so sorry A.J.." Peanut Butter says softly as he cries.

They both let go of each other and head back to the others. Sunset is the first to notice the mark on Peanut Butter's face. Her eyes go wide in shock as she gets up and grabs Applejack's wrist and drags her off not saying a word as Peanut Butter sits back down. Rarity looks in shock as well and tries to get her make up kit. The others see and have the same reaction as Rarity and Sunset. Though Fluttershy takes it a bit harder as she buries her face in her hands. Peanut Butter stops Rarity by placing his hand on the hand with the makeup kit.

"Rarity don't, I deserved this." He says somberly as he points to his cheek with a clear red hand print on it.

"No one deserves something like that, even if you did mess up it's still wrong, now stay still."

He let's go of her hand as she opens up the small box and tries to match his skin color. He sits speechless since he knew that there was no winning an argument with Rarity. Bad enough he is still processing the conversation with Applejack. Regret is flooding his mind as Rarity puts on the finishing touches and looks over her work.

"That should cover it up, don't go touching it P.B.." Rarity says in a stern though calm tone.

"I won't and thanks."

"Think none of it."

Meanwhile Sunset drags Applejack to the girl's bathroom. She pushes her against the wall on the other side of the bathroom and slams her hand next to her head hitting the wall with a loud slapping sound. Applejack's expression unchanging.

"What the actual fuck Applejack!? why the fuck would you hit him?" Sunset shouts.

"He deserved it Sunset, for what he did to me and Rarity, what I did to him was me holdin' back, I would 'ave done a whole lot worse ta him."

"What do you think will happen when Luna or my mom finds out? when he's not with them he is my responsibility, in my eyes you are no better than him when it comes to making stupid choices, I have to get back to him and hope I can do damage control if it comes to that, think long and hard A.J., because you might have done more damage than he ever did."

Sunset leaves the bathroom to check on Peanut Butter as Applejack has a look of terror on her face that changes to one of regret like the one Peanut Butter has. Sunset's words echo through her head. She sighs before she picks her bag up and silently heads back to everyone else.

Sunset looks over Rarity's work as they wait for the bell to ring. Rarity sees Applejack and gives her a disappointed glare. Applejack looks down from it knowing full well why. The others give her the cold shoulder as they chat among themselves. She sits quietly among the others before the bell rings. Once it does they go their own way with Sunset walking Peanut Butter to Luna's office while debating in her head whether to say something to Luna and Celestia or not. Peanut Butter sees the conflicted look on her face and looks towards her with a small smile.

"If they find out I got your back, trust me they don't scare me after the shit I've been through." Peanut Butter says.

"You sure? I don't want you to get in trouble."

"Why would I get into trouble?"

"Because you're covering for me."

"Like I said I've been through worse."

"If you say so."

They go to the main office to have Peanut Butter start his school work. Peanut Butter parts with Sunset Shimmer with a confident look on his face as he walks into Luna's office and sits down as Sunset heads off to class. As Peanut Butter walks in Luna is finishing a call.

"So tomorrow at four? that works for me, I'll see you then, goodbye." Luna says before hanging up and leaning back in her chair.

Peanut Butter sits down and starts on his school work. Luna looks over at him and softly smiles as she remembers the sight of Home Run working. Though her mind goes back to the matters at hand.

"We need to talk P.B.." Luna says.

"About what?"

"About you going to classes with the rest of the students, I know it didn't work before, but I feel we will try it again after this weekend, I've set you up with smaller classes so you should be okay, also I have an appointment to go to so you'll be visiting Celestia and Sunset for a while until I pick you up, you probably know the same rules apply with them as it does with me, don't try anything."

"Not surprised you'd say that Luna."

"Don't get snippy with me."

"Okay no need to get your panties in a bunch."

"Excuse me?"

He sighs and says nothing as he gets back to his school work. Luna just glares and looks the other way. Peanut Butter rolls his eyes though tries to solve a problem on his math sheet as he slowly starts to get frustrated with him starting to sigh loudly and soon scratching his head in frustration. Luna gets up from her desk and goes to him.

"I see you're having trouble." Luna mentions.

"Ya think?"

"Enough of the snarky attitude and let me see."

"Fine."

"Here's the issue, you're supposed to move the five below the fifty-seven, now just divide that."

"Thanks."

"At least you have manners."

"Hey!"

Luna giggles before sitting down and working on paper work as Peanut Butter returns to his own work.

Meanwhile Applejack and Rarity sit in study hall catching up on some school work. AppleJack shows a look of regret on her face as she reads for her English class while Rarity is writing in her notebook. They both stay in silence as they continue their work. Rarity looks up at Applejack with a raised eyebrow.

"Was what you did to him really needed?" Rarity asks.

Applejack snaps out of her concentration and looks at Rarity with a distant and guilty look on her face.

"In hindsight ah guess not, but Rarity what he did to us back then-"

"That is exactly my point Applejack, it was in the past, what he did wasn't right yes, but what you did wasn't right as well."

"I already had this talk with Sunset, Rarity\, ah don't need it from you too."

"Yes you do Applejack, I want you to do the right thing at lunch and say sorry to him."

Applejack groans in frustration.

"Fine I will, if it'll get you and Sunset off my back."

"No need for the attitude."

Applejack continues her reading for a few minutes when the speaker system comes on.

"May Applejack and Sunset Shimmer please report to the main office, may Applejack and Sunset Shimmer please report to the main office." the office secretary says over the intercom.

Rarity raises an eyebrow and looks at Applejack with a bit of concern. Applejack gets up and gets her book bag before heading to the main office. Her frustration grows as she knows the reason. As she walks the hallways she notices that Sunset isn't in sight. She just shakes her head and assumes that she is already there. Though she regrets slapping Peanut Butter she doesn't regret her words. She feels that all of her demons needed to be let out. Though her mind shifts to what is next since she let them out and has lost all fuel to her fire. Though a part of her feels that maybe now the bridge can be repaired. She reaches the door to the main office and opens it only to be led to Celestia's office where she sees Sunset looking down in depression and sees Peanut Butter with the mark on his face from her slapping him with an angry scowl towards Celestia and Luna. Celestia and Luna themselves look at Applejack with a displeased look. Luna jesters her to sit down next to Sunset. She looks at Celestia bracing herself for the worst.

"Applejack, care to explain why you assaulted P.B.?" Celestia asks.

"I already told you why Celestia, no need to grill her as well, why is Sunset here too?" Peanut Butter asks Celestia.

"Not now P.B.."

"Yes now Celestia, yeah she slapped me, but I had it five years coming, so it isn't as if she did it without reason."

"That is enough P.B.!" Luna sternly shouts with frustration in her voice from Peanut Butter's rebellious behavior.

"It'll be enough when I say it's enough damn it! I explained everything and that they don't have to get involved or in trouble from it, but since you obviously fucking forgot about it let me say it again, Applejack and I talked and let out the demons we had since I left, she hit me from her frustration and I took it because I had it five years coming, we went back to Sunset had the mark covered up and yelled at A.J., she was debating on telling you, but I told her it was okay not to tell you."

Luna is at the end of her rope as she goes to Peanut Butter and stares him in the eye.

"Now you listen here, you have already been a hair strain away from the phone call to send you up river and if you don't want me to push the boat I suggest you keep your mouth shut and have us deal with this by the book, do I make myself clear?"

Peanut Butter stares at Luna in the eyes for a good minute before he walks past her pushing her aside before opening the door and slamming it shut. Luna follows him out into the secretary room in between Luna's and Celestia's office. She sees the door to her office close before hearing the inevitable slam as the door shuts. She groans with frustration as she pinches the bridge of her nose as she returns to Celestia's office. Celestia sighs before turning her attention to Sunset and Applejack.

"I'll just cut to the chase with this, Applejack you're suspended from school until next week, Sunset your punishment will be discussed later, so take your chair and face the corner, Applejack stay in the lobby until you are picked up." Celestia says in a stern voice as she stares at them.

Applejack leaves Celestia's office and sits in the lobby while Sunset picks up her chair and sets it in the corner. Luna goes back to her office to see a window cracked open and Peanut Butter looking out of it. He looks at her still angry before giving her the cold shoulder and looking away. She sits down silently as the room is thick with the feeling of tension.

The rest of the day no words were said between them as they head home and stay away from each other with the occasional crossing of paths here and there. The night was no different as Peanut Butter looks up at the ceiling still angry and also concerned for Sunset and Applejack. He drifts to sleep while Luna is in her room on the phone with Celestia.

"He hasn't said or even looked at me since this morning." Luna says.

"I do intend on just leaving him alone."

"Maybe we did do this wrong the more I think about it personally speaking."

"I'm not doing that punishment on him Tia, I might be new to parenting, but I know when there are lines, so I take it Sunset is getting that as her punishment?"

"I remember the last time you did that to her."

"I wonder about you sometimes Tia."

"Alright, good night Tia."

"Love you too sis."

She hangs up her phone and tosses it to the other side of her bed as her mind drifts off to the events earlier as she feels conflicted between her going by the books and her feeling that she should have sided with Peanut Butter as she falls asleep.