• Published 13th Nov 2011
  • 18,348 Views, 410 Comments

New World, New Beginning - Speven Dillberg



Justin is stuck in Equestria. Not that he minds.

  • ...
43
 410
 18,348

Twenty Percent Hotter

Rainbow Dash glided down to the markets. Her usual confidence was missing and it was obvious to everypony. Even though she had turned up for weather duty late, her supervisor simply let her leave without a complaint. It was obvious to him that she was distraught and in no state to work. Rainbow was rarely depressed, and whatever had put her into this state was likely something serious. Maybe speaking to Applejack will make me feel better, she thought to herself.

When she landed, she could see a number of ponies sitting at the cafes of Ponyville. She hadn’t realised that it was lunch time, and decided that seeking out Applejack would be a good way to get food as well.

It didn’t take long to find her, set up at her usual place in the markt. “Howdy, Rainbow,” the farm pony said. “So, how’d that talk go with Justin?”

“It... it went,” the mare replied dourly.

“Oh no,” Applejack muttered. “What’d he say?”

“He said he likes me,” Rainbow answered.

“So why are ya so depressed?” the farmer asked, eyebrow raised in confusion. “Ain’t that a good thing?”

“He said it won’t work,” she said. “We’re two different species.”

“What should that have ta do with love?” Applejack asked. “If he loves ya, and ya love him, it shouldn't matter what ya are.”

“Do you know what ponies are where he’s from?” The farm pony shook her head. “Nothing but dumb animals.”

“What!?” Applejack yelled out. “Please tell me he don’t see us that way!”

“He doesn’t.” Rainbow sighed. “He just can’t accept how we look. He can’t get over that.”

“Really?” Applejack asked, looking irritated. “That’s his reasonin’?” She shook her head in disgust. “Come with me, Rainbow. Ah’m gonna go talk ta Justin.” She stormed off towards the library, Rainbow following to make sure Applejack didn’t hurt Justin or do something similarly stupid.


“That was easy enough,” Justin said, impressed with himself.

“Now that you can walk, you can focus on flying.”

Twilight and Justin were in the main room of the library. The tables had been moved against the walls and Spike had been given the rest of the day off. Naturally, he had taken the opportunity to sleep.

It had taken about half an hour to get Justin to stand up without losing his balance. From there, walking had taken another hour. Now the blue pegasus could walk on four hooves as though he’d been doing it his whole life.

“Fly?” Justin asked nervously. “Shouldn’t we get another pegasus to help with this?”

“Probably,” Twilight replied thoughtfully. “Maybe Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy can help?”

Justin gave a non-committal grunt. “I s’pose.” In truth, he wasn’t sure he wanted to see Rainbow Dash right now. After his talk with her the previous evening he thought it best to give her some space.

His thoughts were interrupted when something began pounding on the door. “Twilight! Open up!” Applejack’s voice yelled. “Ah need ta speak ta Justin!”

“Er, now’s not a good time,” Twilight called back when she saw Justin’s panicked expression.

“Dangit, Twi! Either this door opens or Ah break it open!”

“Okay, okay!” Twilight opened the door with her magic, revealing a very irate farm pony.

“Now where the hay is Justin?” Applejack said as calmly as she could. Behind her stood Rainbow Dash, looking very worried. The farmer stomped in, ignoring Justin and looking around.

Twilight approached her other friend. “Why didn’t you stop her?” she whispered.

“You know what she’s like when this happens,” she whispered back. “You can’t stop her. Remember the last Applebuck Season?”

“You! Ya seen Justin?” Applejack shouted at Justin, pointing a hoof at him.

“What? Me? No, I don’t even know who you’re talking about,” Justin said as calmly as he could.

Applejack glared at him before turning away. “Twi, who is this?”

“Well, you see...” Before Twilight could get any further, Rainbow stepped into the library, looking at the other pegasus. Without warning his wings shot up, fully erect.

“Hey, Twilight, who’s the stud?” she asked, nudging Twilight in the ribs.

Justin face-hoofed and groaned. “Rainbow, you did not just call me that!”

The pegasus mare stared at the stallion, eyes narrowed in suspicion. “How do you know my name?” she asked.

“He sounds mighty familiar.” Applejack’s eyes had narrowed as well, and she was staring at the stallion as well.

Rainbow sniffed the air as she approached the stallion. “Smells familiar, too.”

Justin took a few steps back. Because he was still face-hoofing, he ended up landing on his face the moment he lifted his other front leg. “Ow.”

“Rainbow, that’s kinda creepy,” Applejack said, an eyebrow raised at her friend.

“I mean it,” she replied, not caring for the odd looks she was getting. “He smells... nice.”

“Thank you,” Justin replied slowly, not sure how to take it. He stood up again and pushed past the mares. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get going.” He noticed that his wings were unfurled and he tried to push them back down.

“Now hold on there,” Applejack said, putting a hoof in his path. “Twilight, who is this fella?” she asked, turning to the unicorn mare.

“I’m Justin!” he shouted out, annoyed at how the conversation was going.

“You!” Applejack yelled out suddenly. “Ya went and broke Rainbow’s heart, ya know that!?”

“What!?” the other three ponies shouted in unison.

“He didn’t do anything like that!” Rainbow yelled angrily.

“Where did you get that idea from!?” Justin asked, equally angry.

“Will somepony please tell me what is going on?” a confused Twilight Sparkle asked.

“Rainbow, Applejack, I woke up this morning like this. I don’t know ‘why’, but I can guess the ‘how’.” Justin had calmed down and was speaking with a normal voice again. “I’ have to remember not to wish on a shooting star again,” he said with a sarcastic chuckle.

“Wait, a shooting star?” Rainbow asked. “I thought that was just a story.”

“So did Ah,” Applejack said.

“Look at me and tell me it isn’t.”

“Ah am. And Ah have ta admit, ya look real handsome.”

“Oh please, not you too.” Justin looked at the farmer pleadingly, trying to find out if she was joking.

“Nice cutie mark,” Rainbow remarked, pointing at Justin’s flank.

“Huh?” He turned to get a better look and saw an envelope with wings. “That’s kinda cool.”

“So Ah take it ya’ll gonna be a mailpony then?”

“A mailpony? What?”

“Yer cutie mark,” Applejack said as though it explained everything.

“Okay, can one of you please explain the significance of these things?”

“You mean you don’t know?” Twilight asked, a little surprised.

“Here we go,” Rainbow muttered with an eye-roll.

“A pony’s cutie mark represents their special talent, the one thing they can do better than anypony else. Mine is magic, which means I can do almost anything.”

“Mine is anythin’ to do with apples.”

“And mine is speed!” Rainbow said proudly, hovering and putting a hoof to her chest. “No surprise that I’m the fastest pony in Equestria!”

“Uh-huh,” Justin replied skeptically. “So they tell you what to do with your life?”

“No,” Twilight replied a little haughtily. “They just tell you what you’ll excel at.”

“So I’m gonna be brilliant at delivering pony’s mail? That’s it?” Justin was disappointed. His special talent was so... mundane.

“Whaddya mean ‘that’s it’?” Applejack asked, a little annoyed. “How do ya know ya won’t enjoy it?”

“Because the last job I did before I wound up in Equestria, before I woke up as a pony, was as a courier. Somepony who delivered packages and letters.” Justin blinked. “Did I just say ‘somepony’?”

“And you didn’t enjoy that?” Rainbow asked, a little confused.

“Would you?”

“Yeah! I mean, flying around all day, only stopping every now and then to put things in mailboxes? What’s not to love?”

Justin opened his mouth to argue, but stopped. Now that he thought about it properly, he realised it wasn’t the job he hated. It was the people he had to work with. They were all petty, self-centered sad-acts who would happily rip open a package if they thought they could sell the contents scot-free. He was the only one with morals, even when doing as they did would have helped. Even worse were the ones in charge: penny-pinching, arrogant and more than happy to fire anyone who they thought was conspiring against them.

He closed his mouth and cleared his throat. “Okay, I’ll give it a shot. Hopefully whoever’s in charge here is nice.”

“Can you fly?” Rainbow asked.

There was a small silence. “I don’t know,” Justin replied. He willed his wings to unfurl but only made them twitch.

Rainbow began to chuckle and turned around, giving him a clear view of her flank. Justin’s wings unfurled rapidly and, with a quiet pomf, they were fully erect in less than a second. When she turned around, she saw that he at least had the decency to be blushing.

“His wings popped up when he took a look at yer flank,” Applejack said, confirming the pegasus’ suspicions.

“Oh really?” Rainbow’s eyes narrowed in a fashion that scared Justin. She trotted closer and, wearing a sultry smile, gazed into his eyes. He pulled a very impressive impersonation of the Royal Pegasus Guards, causing a change in strategy.

He had forced his mind to go completely blank, but he couldn’t distract himself from the feeling of a technicolour tail brushing against his face. He turned even redder and tried not to breath in. Rainbow increased the strength behind her actions, forcing Justin to breath in. The scent of some beautiful flower almost made him faint but he remained conscious.

Rainbow kept this up, her friends watching in silent confusion (and in Applejack’s case; disapproval) until Justin suddenly collapsed. This made her stop. “Ohmygosh, is he okay?” she asked, rushing to his side, rolling him onto his back. His wings had gone limp and his tongue was lolling about like a dead fish.

“Rainbow, Ah think ya gone and broke him.” Applejack pushed her hat over her eyes and sighed. “What in tarnation were ya thinkin’, anyway?”

“I just thought it would be funny,” Rainbow said. “I didn’t think he’d faint.”

“Well, he wasn’t breathing,” Twilight said. “Why did he stop breathing, anyway?” Her friends looked at her with raised eyebrows and expressions that asked if she was being serious. “What?”


The "Justin's Thoughts" thing will be missing for the time being. This may be a permanent change. I don't know yet. Wait and see...