• Published 13th Nov 2011
  • 18,268 Views, 410 Comments

New World, New Beginning - Speven Dillberg



Justin is stuck in Equestria. Not that he minds.

  • ...
43
 410
 18,268

Waking Up

You know how in those stories that have people entering different dimensions the transition is rather pleasant? Maybe a short drop onto a hard floor is the worst of it. Well, I wasn't so lucky. Turns out that interdimensional travel conserves momentum. Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing goes out. And I happened to have been going very fast when it happened.

Well, okay, maybe not that fast. But still fast enough so that when I came out on the other side I ended up breaking a few bones. And knocking myself out.


"So it woke up?"

"Yes he did," the white earth pony mare replied.

"He?" The purple unicorn, Twilight Sparkle, stopped to look at her, one eyebrow disappearing into her mane. "How do you know it's a he?"

"Well," Nurse Redheart began to blush, "we had to take off his clothes to wash him and..."

"Ah," was all Twilight Sparkle had to say before she pressed on.

They soon arrived at the Ponyville Clinic. Ponyville was far too small to need its own hospital, so it made do with a clinic that doubled as a veterinarian's office. There were only twelve beds, but it wasn't uncommon for them all to be empty. Only one bed was occupied. The occupant, though, wasn't a pony. Nor was it a griffin or a baby dragon. It was something nopony had ever seen.

It had bare skin of a strange tan colour. Its only body hair was brown and confined to its chest and the top of its head. It appeared to be bipedal, given that its hands looked as though they were better suited for grabbing things. Each finger was quite blunt and non-threatening. Its teeth were an interesting mix of sharp and blunt. A cast enveloped its left arm, locking it in a 'L' shape. It stared at them as Nurse Redheart opened the door. They could see the disbelief in its eyes, and the way its jaw hung loose was more indication that it simply could not comprehend what it was seeing.

"Uhh... Hi?" Twilight asked nervously. She wasn't even sure if it - he - could understand what she was saying.

"Oh gods," the creature muttered before fainting.


"So ya'll saying this critter took one look at ya and collapsed?"

"Well, it said something first," Twilight replied.

Applejack, an orange earth pony with a blonde mane, leaned closer. "Really now? What did it say?"

"I think he said 'Oh god', whatever that means."

"So it speaks Equetrian? Ain't that a bit odd?"

"I know." Twilight sighed. "I've never read anything about this in any of my books."

"Twilight, some things ain't in books. You should know this."

Before the studious mare could reply, a bright-blue pegasus shot past before coming to a halt, hovering about three yards behind them and ten feet above. "Hey! Twilight! Applejack! Redheart said the alien woke up!"

"Rainbow, that's not really polite," Twilight replied, a little annoyed at her attitude.

"Well what else am I gonna call it?" the pegasus shouted back.

"Well, I'm sure he has a name." Twilight began to make her way to the clinic again before turning to Applejack. "You coming?"

"Gimme a sec, Twi. Ah reckon the fella could use some real food." The farm mare ducked behind her small apple stall and retrieved an apple pie.

They arrived at the clinic to find the stranger lying in bed, staring at the ceiling. He sat up and saw Twilight and Applejack, balancing the pie on her back. The unicorn mare opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted. "Where are my pants?"

"What?"

"Waking up in a strange room, I can deal with. Waking up in a strange room in a world with colourful horse-things, I can deal with that too. But waking up in a strange room with colourful horse-things while I'm naked?" The thing started to chuckle. "Ain't happening."

"I'll see what happened to your clothes in a moment," Twilight said warily. "Can you tell us your name?"

"As long as you tell me your names," the thing replied. Twilight nodded and the creature smiled. "Well, I'm Justin."

"I'm Twilight Sparkle, and this is Applejack," she said, motioning to her friend.

"Howdy," Applejack said loudly. "Ah got that weird contraption ya'll came in on over at mah farm."

"You have my pushbike?" Justin asked.

"It ain't in great shape, though. Got real busted when - "

"Twilight, I finished cleaning the clothes for - Oh! Sorry." A third pony had entered the room, this one with a very white coat and a royal purple mane. "I didn't know you were awake."

"Justin," Twilight said, "this is my friend Rarity. Rarity, this is Justin."

"Hi," Justin said, waving from his bed. "Nice to meet you."

"Well, a pleasure to meet you too!" Rarity put the folded clothes on the foot of the bed using her telekinesis. This did not escape Justin's attention.

"Did... did you just levitate my stuff?" he asked, pointing at it.

"Uh, yes?"

"You have magic?"

"Yes...?" Rarity was a little unsure of the creature's behaviour. It's expression was a mix of wonder and fear.

"Wow." He lay back down on the bed, laughing. "Magic. I'm in a universe with magic!"

The three ponies looked at each other, a little baffled by the creature's reaction. "Are you okay?"

"Oh I'm fine. Just... magic!" Justin stopped laughing and sat up, still smiling wide. "This is so cool."

"Dontcha have magic from where you're from?" Applejack asked.

"Nope!" Justin yelled cheerfully.

The mares just stared at the strange thing before them. "No magic?" Twilight asked. "Really?" When Justin nodded, Twilight looked at the ground. "This is like something from those books Spike reads," she muttered.

"How do you manage in a world without magic?" Rarity asked, mortified at the idea.

Justin shrugged. "Humans are really intelligent, we invent what we need to." He shifted uncomfortably. "Uhh... Could I have some privacy while I put my clothes back on?"

"Ah can't see the big deal. Ah mean, it ain't like we're wearing anythin'." Applejack put the apple pie down on the bed. "Why is it such a problem for ya?"

"Where I'm from, clothing isn't optional. So being naked around anyone, especially women, is kind of embarrassing." He had begun to blush, turning red.

"Did he just say what I thought he said?" Rarity asked as they left Justin alone. "Can you imagine what it must be like?" Her voice was shrill with excitement. The very prospect of a world for a being of her unparalleled skill was enough to send her into a tizzy.

"Rarity, Ah think ya'll should calm down a bit," an unamused Applejack said. "After all, he’s hurt and Ah don’t think he’ll appreciate ya pesterin’ him with questions. Plus, he’s new to Equestria."

"Equestria? Is that the name of this place?" All three ponies turned around and saw Justin ducking under the doorway, holding the apple pie in his good hand. Now that he was standing they could see that he was easily two feet taller than them, which made them feel rather small. Now he was wearing a pair of denim jeans and a Rolling Stones shirt with the cover of their Sticky Fingers album. He had opted to ignore his shoes for the time being, meaning he was barefoot.

"Yeah," Twilight responded. "I suppose I should welcome you. Both to Ponyville and Equestria."

"Ponyville?" Justin asked, eyebrows raised. "That's the name of this place? Really?"

"Yep!" Applejack said proudly. "It's not big or grand or nothing, but it's home."

"So, tell me," Justin said. "Why exactly am I talking to a horse and two unicorns?"

"For starters, we're ponies. And secondly we're the ones who brought you here when we found you," Twilight replied.

"Oh. Well, thanks, I guess."

They stood there awkwardly for a moment before Applejack pointed at Justin’s shirt. “What the hay are the Rollin’ Stones?”

“Maybe it’s a philosophical thing?” Twilight suggested.

“But why is there a picture of... that area?” Rarity asked, sounding a little disgusted.

“Hm?” Justin looked at where they were staring. “Oh, they’re a band. Musicians.”

“But why a picture of that?” Rarity asked again.

“I’m honestly not sure,” Justin answered carefully. “I guess sex sells.” Their reactions were not ones he had anticipated. Applejack simply stared at him as though he was crazy, Twilight raised an eyebrow and Rarity looked at him as though he had just crawled out of some slime-filled pit.

“Your world is weird,” Twilight said, first to break the awkward silence that had ensued.

Justin simply shrugged in response. “I won’t deny that, Earth is damn strange.”

“Strange? How so?” Applejack asked, still wearing that incredulous look.

“Everything. The people, the places, the culture...” Justin’s face fell. “My home.” He leaned against the wall and slumped down against it. “My home,” he said again, a tear rolling down his face. A wry smile played across his face. “My shitty little apartment with barely enough room to lie down. My crappy job as a bicycle courier. Living off tinned food.” Without a second thought he stuck a hand into the apple pie and shoved it in his mouth. He kept it there, his eyes going wide. He pulled his fingers out slowly and chewed. “Oh god this is beautiful.”

“You’re welcome?” Applejack said, a little confused.

“No, really,” he said, his mouth full. “This is the best apple pie I’ve ever had.” He dug his hand in again and scooped up another mouthful.

"Must you eat like that?" Rarity asked, looking a little offended.

"Hey, I'm starving, okay?" Justin replied, bits of apple pie spraying everywhere.

"Heavens, you're just like Applejack."

"Ah'll pretend Ah didn't hear that," the earth pony replied angrily.

Before a full-blown argument could erupt, all four of them were interrupted by another visitor. "Hey Twilgiht! Is it safe to see the alien!?"

Twilight face-hoofed. "Urrgh..."

"Your friends taste delicious!" Justin yelled out with a laugh. The three ponies in the corridor with him just stared, shocked at what he had said.

"WHAT!?" A rainbow-maned pegasus sped in, hooves raised and ready for a fight. What she saw was a strange figure sitting on the ground, apple pie all over its face and cackling madly. "What?"

"Oh that was good!" Justin took a deep breath and sighed. "You shoulda seen the look your face."

"You mean that was just a joke!?" Rainbow yelled, outraged. "How can you even think that was funny!?"

Justin shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe because I'm an alien?" He gave the pegasus a very serious look, quite the accomplishment with pie smeared all over his chin.

"I ain't saying sorry until you do! That was a horrible - "

"I'm sorry."

Everypony was stunned. "W-what?" was all Rainbow Dash was capable of saying.

"I said I'm sorry. You're right, that was pretty horrible. I just wanted a laugh. I should've thought that through more." Justin stood up, wiping his good hand on his shirt. "I'm Justin," he said, sticking his hand out.

Rainbow Dash paused for a moment before letting him grab her hoof. "Rainbow Dash. Sorry I called you an alien."

"Don't worry about it."

The other three collectively sighed in relied. "Thank heavens for that. Ah was worried we'd have a fight on our hooves there," Applejack said.

"Indeed," Rarity chimed in. "Though that was a rather uncouth thing to say."

Justin shrugged. "I said I was sorry, what more do you want?"

"He did, Rarity," Twilight replied. "I'll go see Nurse Redheart and ask if it's safe for Justin to leave yet.

Five minutes later, the four ponies and their new human companion stepped out of the clinic. Justin shielded his eyes from the glare of the sun and looked around.


Ponies. Ponies everywhere. I mean, really. It was like a kid had gone crazy with a box of crayons. And I don't mean those shitty ones with only eight different colours. I mean those really expensive ones with at least two hundred. At first it hurt more than looking at the sun. But I'm nothing if not adaptable. That's why I hadn't properly freaked out yet. That thing with me fainting? That was more the shock of my suspicions being realised. Honestly.