• Published 13th Nov 2011
  • 18,269 Views, 410 Comments

New World, New Beginning - Speven Dillberg



Justin is stuck in Equestria. Not that he minds.

  • ...
43
 410
 18,269

Rainbows and Diamonds Don't Mix

“It’s about time!” an angry Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

“Uh, what?” Rainbow Dash asked, confused.

Shortly after Post Haste had gotten his first job in Equestria, he and Rainbow had gone to Sugarcube Corner for lunch and to see Pinkie.

“What are you talking about?” Postie asked, head tilted in confusion.

“Do you have any idea how long I’ve been waiting?”

“Waiting for what?” Rainbow asked again, raising an eyebrow.

“For the story to shift!”

“Story?” Postie asked.

“Pinkie Pie, you just keep getting randomer and randomer.”

“That’s not even a word, silly,” Pinkie replied.

“How can you be sure of that?” Postie asked.

“Well, duh! Because the word is marked as incorrect in the document,” the pink pony replied as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

The two pegasi stared at the party mare in stunned silence. “What the hay is she talking about?” Rainbow asked.

“I have absolutely no idea,” Postie replied uneasily (and not completely truthfully).

“You want some cupcakes?” Pinkie asked, pushing a tray into the winged ponies’ faces, having completely forgotten what she had been saying.

“Uh, sure,” Rainbow slowly said, taking one with red and green frosting. Postie took one covered in blue and yellow frosting and took a bite.

“Thanks.”

“So what have you two been doing?” Pinkie asked happily, bouncing back towards the counter. Somehow, none of the cupcakes fell off the tray balanced precariously on her flank .

“Well, I have a job now,” Postie said, taking a bit from his cupcake. “Oh wow, this is good.”

“Thanks! And you’re the new mailpony!”

“How did you - oh, right, my cutie mark. Is it that obvious?” he asked, turning towards his flank.

“Kinda.” She began to hum as she pulled ingredients from a pantry and placed them on a counter. “Plus, I read the other chapter. By the way, nice name Justin. It’s clever.”

The pegasi looked at each other, not knowing what to say about how she knew Justin’s new name or her other comment. “Well, Pinkie, we have to get going now,” Rainbow said warily. “Thanks for the cupcakes.”

“See ya, Dashie! Enjoy your date!”

That simple statement caused Postie to begin choking on his mouthful of cupcake and Rainbow to spit hers out in shock. “We’re not on a date!”

Postie smacked himself in the chest several times to clear his throat. “Why would you think that?”

“Oh come on, its obvious,” she stated with an overly exaggerated eyeroll. “I mean, the way you’ve been hanging around each other, it’s pretty much as if you’ve been dating the whole time! You silly fillies need to stop kidding yourselves about this.”

Postie and Rainbow glanced at each other, both pegasi blushing. “Well, we’ll be going now. See ya Pinkie,” the technicolour speedster said as she hovered. “C’mon, Postie.”

“Bye, Pinkie Pie.”

“See ya! And come back soon!” Pinkie yelled as they disappeared. Then she turned to one of the counters and began talking to it as though it could hear her. “So when am I gonna appear next, huh?”

“Just keep walking,” Rainbow whispered to a worried Postie.

“Really?” he heard the crazy pony ask as he was pushed out of the kitchen.


“Do I want to know how she’s still allowed out in public?”

“She’s usually harmless,” Rainbow replied. This did little to assuage Postie’s concerns.

Usually harmless?” he asked, an eyebrow raised. “What happens when she stops being harmless?”

Rainbow shuddered at the memory of her friend’s brief descent into a loneliness-fueled insanity. Brief as it had been, it had left the pegasus quite worried even to this day. “I promised I wouldn’t tell anypony.”

“Ah.”

The pair continued on in silence as Post Haste tried to think of something to fill the awkward void that had arisen. Eventually he turned to Rainbow. “Why not? It’s not like she’ll find out.”

“No,” Rainbow replied harshly. “I made a promise. And breaking a promise is the quickest way to lose a friend.”

Without warning, Pinkie Pie’s head popped out of a nearby flower pot, yelling “FOREVER!”

This made Postie scream in shock, though Rainbow simply raised an eyebrow.

“Wha - buh - how?” Postie stuttered.

“Just... ignore it,” Rainbow replied. “It gets easier.”

He tried to force what had happened from his mind and to focus on something completely different. Thankfully, he was saved the trouble when a pony he hadn’t seen for quite some time appeared.

“Rainbow!”

Both pegasi turned and were greeted with the sight of Rarity, as immaculate and perfect as ever. “Oh hey, Rarity,” the multicolour pegasus replied.

“I’ve been looking for you everywhere,” the unicorn replied, brushing her mane out of her face.

Rainbow’s eyes narrowed. “If this is about making me a dress, then the answer is no.”

“I’ve long since given up on that,” she replied with a dismissive hoof-wave. “No, I’ve been looking for Justin.”

“Really?” Postie asked.

“Yes, I - oh. I don’t believe we’ve been introduced yet.” Rarity turned to face Rainbow. “Just who is this dashing stallion?” To her surprise both pegasi just gave her matching annoyed stares “What?” she asked innocently.

“Rarity, how is it that you don’t know yet?” Rainbow asked as she slowly shook her head.

“Hasn’t Twilight said anything?” Postie asked.

“Said anything about what?”

“Wow,” Rainbow muttered.

“You’d think that’d be the sort of thing she’d tell her friends,” Postie responded.

“Has Twilight been keeping a secret?” Rarity asked, eyes gleaming with unhealthy curiosity.

“No, she’s just failed to realize that the fact that Justin is now a pony is kind of important,” Rainbow replied in a deadpan.

“For somepony so smart, she can really be dumb sometimes,” Postie said.

Rarity ignored that slight insult at her friend and instead focused on the pegasus in front of her. “I must say, you do look quite handsome.”

“Great,” Postie muttered, hanging his head in irritation. “First Rainbow, then Applejack, now you.”

“Hooves off, Rarity,” Rainbow said, hovering menacingly. “He’s mine.”

The unicorn responded by simply looking disgruntled and holding her nose high. “Well, that is just plain rude, Rainbow Dash. Surely it’s his choice, after all.”

“Actually, I already asked Rainbow out,” Postie said quickly, hoping to defuse the situation before it could escalate.

“Oh.” The pegasi weren’t sure, but there seemed to be a note of disappointment in Rarity’s voice. “I see.” She cleared her throat daintily behind a hoof. “Well then, I see no reason to stay. Good day.”

“Wait, didn’t you need me for something?” Postie asked, surprised by her sudden attempt at departure.

“Well, I was under the assumption that you still had two legs. I had a few ideas for clothing so you could get rid of what you had.”

“There was nothing wrong with what I had,” Postie replied acidly. “That was my favorite shirt, y’know.”

“That may be, but it was all you had. And I couldn’t stand to see you wear the same thing day after day.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Really, Rarity? Is that all you care about?”

“Well, one should strive to look their best, no matter what,” Rarity replied haughtily. “Something you could stand to learn, Rainbow.”

Postie rolled his eyes and took to the air. “Yeah, I’m gonna get going now,” he said quietly as he disappeared, wanting nothing to do with the fight that seemed very likely to erupt. “See ya later!”


“Justin, you need to leave.”

“What?”

“I said -”

“I-I heard you clearly,” Postie replied uneasily. “Why, though?”

Twilight shuffled her hooves slowly. “Well, having a second pony living here is making it hard. I’m spending twice as much on food, and I don’t really make many bits to begin with.”

“I have a job now,” Postie interjected. “Shouldn’t that help?”

“It... might,” Twilight replied uneasily as she turned to look outside. Night had fallen and darkness shrouded Ponyville.

Postie caught her hesitation. “Is something wrong?” he asked, concerned. He hadn’t seen her look so worried before.

“Twilight, what’s the real reason?”

“The... the real reason I’m asking you to leave is... I miss my privacy.” Twilight looked at the ground, ashamed at what she was doing. “I’m being selfish, I know, but -”

“That’s okay, Twilight. We’re all entitled to that.” Postie put on a fake smile, but a look at the pegasus’ eyes told the unicorn how hard he was taking it. “If you want me to go, I will.”

“You don’t have to go straight away,” she said hurriedly, realising she had overstepped some line.

“No, I really should. I’ve been here two weeks, after all,” he said, his smile widening as the sad look in his eyes deepened.

“You don’t even have anywhere to stay!” Twilight yelled desperately.

“I-I’ll find somewhere,” Postie replied, his tone making it clear he didn’t even believe himself. “Applejack’s place, or maybe Fluttershy’s.”

“No!” Twilight shouted, stamping the ground with a forehoof. “Justin, you’re staying here until you can find a place of your own. And that’s final!”

Twilight’s sudden loudness startled the pegasus, making his ears go flat against his head. As he cringed, he really only noticed one thing in particular. “That’s not my name...”

“What?”

“That’s not my name,” Post Haste repeated, rubbing his ears.

“Yes it is,” the mare replied, feeling lost.

“I have a... well, a pony name.” Wording it like that, he realised, felt odd. “I’m Post Haste now.”

“‘Post Haste?’” Twilight asked. “Did Rainbow suggest that one?”

“No, I came up with that myself.” He thought he could detect a note of humour, as though it was a bad name. “Yes, I know it’s punny, but so is Twilight Sparkle.”

“What?” the mare asked, confused. “No it isn’t.”

“Well, not here, no,” the pegasus conceded. “But where I came from, if you told anybody that was your name you’d get laughed at.” Postie looked up. “Hey, I didn’t say ‘anypony’ for once!”

Twilight decided to push what the stallion had said about her name to the back of her mind. “Look... what were we talking about again?”

Postie opened his mouth before frowning. “I can’t remember.”

There was the sound of somepony clearing their throat off to their side. They both looked and stared before Twilight went into a hurried bow. “What are you doing?” she hissed at the Post Haste. “Get down!”

Postie was simply staring, unable to really process anything. He hadn’t seen this pony before, but he was sure that he knew who it was. After all, there were only two alicorns in Equestria, and this one wasn’t Princess Celestia.

Before them stood a pony with a mane and tail like the night sky and a coat the shade of midnight.


I am so sorry this is late. Just... trouble in general trying to figure out where to go with this.