• Published 6th May 2012
  • 1,737 Views, 34 Comments

Dark days - Dashie4747



When Luna hears a voice telling her to betray Celestia, It begins to bring out her evil within

  • ...
7
 34
 1,737

The Fight for Freedom

Chapter 9

The train journey to Canterlot was shorter than expected after the urgent news that a changeling uprising is on its way to Canterlot. Twilight stared out of the window leaning her head against the cold glass. The passing by trees came and went as if they never existed. She was sat with Celestia who also remained quiet for the majority of the journey but they did talk every now and then. The train stopped for the guards at the Canterlot gate to allow them to pass though the invisible force field that protected the preparing city. Twilight was informed that her friends will be present in Canterlot which took her mind of the threat of the Changeling invasion.

The train finally made it to the station where Celestia and Twilight exited. Celestia looked at Twilight proudly before telling her she needed to find something in her room. Twilight nodded before trotting towards an open area containing hundreds of busy royal guard ponies. Suddenly Twilight was immediately surrounded by a dozen embraces all at once as her friends seemed to pounce on her with their joy to see her. Twilight was curies about how they had pulled it off her rescue but had no time because the guards that were escorting them seemed to be in a rush. As they walked through the streets of Canterlot soldiers and guards rushed around to their places. The events to come didn't seem welcoming. Pinkie pie gazed up at the gathering clouds above her. The storm clouds seemed to snarl like dogs as they gradually came together in a mass of grey. It was as if the thunder storm was directed only on Canterlot itself.

They finally met a stone outpost lined with soldiers. Standing with them was Shadow Night. He seemed more stressed out then usual after he was appointed by Celestia to arrange some of the army defending Canterlot. As the hurrying ponies seemed to scramble around to their position the wind seemed to want to prevent them from doing so. Like the wind itself was an invisible barrier. Twilight and her friends with the general walked up to Shadow Night who seemed busy ordering the soldiers to where they should position themselves for the incoming attack. The sound of then approaching floating army could be heard from miles away as it gradually approached into range.

"Shadow, I need status on our soldiers in place. Are we braced for the attack yet?" asked the general eager for the answer. Shadow hadn't seemed to be paying attention while his glace went to the distant cloud of changelings to the patiently waiting soldiers awaiting orders
"Urm, it’s slow progress but we should be prepared" said Shadow simply. He seemed busy enough as it was making sure who was where.
"Hi, I'm Twilight Sparkle and these are my friends" said Twilight hoping Shadow had noticed her.
"Yes I've met your friends, nice to meet you misses Sparkle but I'm a bite busy at the moment" said Shadow still frantically looking around the area to see if things where in place.
"We'd like to help, we just need to know what to do!" said Twilight.

"Well you can stay out of my... wait, I need you three", pointing at Rainbow dash, Applejack and Rarity, “to fend off any changelings when they arrive" said Shadow finding them something to do. Suddenly an idea crossed Applejack and she darted of out of the area and into a nearby building.
"Pinkie pie and Flutter shy I need you two to make sure the changelings don't try to out manoeuvre around our defensive points. Is that understood?"
Pinkie and Flutter shy nodded before Flutter shy walked up to Shadow.

"Urm... excuse me sir, but do we have to fight the Changelings?" Flutter shy asked quietly. Shadow stared at her for a moment before finally succumbing to her adorableness.
"Well unless a peace can be negotiate, I'm afraid not"
Flutter shy nodded but before she left she stopped.
"Just so you know, I am a good fighter so encase you need me...I'm here" she quickly trotted on to a nearby lookout post then reappeared again suddenly
.
"You know, encase you want me to..." With that Flutter shy darted of once more.
.Shadow Night watched her go with a puzzled look in his face.
"Flutter shy fighting? I'd like to see that" he said to himself before seeing of the other main six apart from one. Twilight was left watching her friends run off and still awaiting orders.
"What can I do?" she asked hopefully. Shadow night looked at her if she had just arrived.
"Oh Twilight, I don't have any more jobs which you can do at the moment".
Twilight looked around confused. "So what do I do?" she asked slightly agitated at the fact all her friends had something to do and she didn't.

"I don't know maybe you could..." Shadow was cut off by a voice shouting the words that every pony dreaded.
"In coming!" yelled a guards pony as suddenly a shadow was cast over busy ponies that looked up in terror at the tremendous wave of enemies. The changelings moved in unison until they reached the protective bubble that surrounded the trembling city. Suddenly two beams of magic came from a nearby hill striking the bubble that surrounded the city. Twilight and her friends watched in fear as the bubble vibrated violently. It sent of a shock wave that travelled across the entire bubble like it was a ripple in a pool.

Suddenly Applejack reappeared from the building she had vanished into just moments ago calling to twilight while she held something shiny. Twilight approached her and found out it was the elements of harmony.
"Good thinking AJ!" yelled Twilight in re-leaf. She then rushed to the others who were bracing themselves for the cloud of enemies looming over them. There was a tremendous crash and suddenly the bubble surrounding Canterlot came crashing down on itself. All the ponies bellow prepared them for what was next. The flying army descended onto the defending ponies faster than they interpreted.

"BRACE YOURSELVES!" yelled a guards pony and then a flash of darkness. Before they knew it they were thrust into combat with the snarling changelings who came from every angle. The noise of clashing hooves and the hum of wings was all that was heard as each pony fought with all there might. Twilight's head darted from side to side as wave after wave of changelings came running towards her. Each time she would fall back before firing a beam of magic at each of them sending them collapsing to the ground. Applejack and Rainbow dash lashed out with all there might at the intruding invaders. Pinkie pie leapt out a group of unsuspecting changelings taking them by surprise. Before long them to where collapsing to the floor in defeat. Flutter shy sank back into a corner watching as changeling after changeling zoomed past her. She had been hiding behind her hear before she heard Rarity scream as one of the changelings had hold of her hair.
"Get of me you filthy beasts" yelled Rarity in disgust before being piled on by even more changelings. Suddenly Flutter shy got to her feet as she saw her friend being attacked by the rampaging flying monsters. A loom of rage printed to her face as a new ego took over her.

"NO PONY HURTS MY FRIENDS!" She yelled in anger before leaping out into the raging battlefield. Before long changelings where had begun to be knocked out of the sky one by one as she lashed out with all four of her limbs. Strike after strike she hit them all on the back of the head knocking them cold to the floor. Before long Rarity was clear of changelings and wondering what had just happened. Shadow Night had been watching in amazement as the usually quiet pony struck each of the changelings to the ground without a sweat.
"Come on girls, we've defeated them one we can do it again" yelled Applejack in triumph as she attempted to copy Flutter shy’s precise moves.

Twilight smiled as her friends technique had begun to fight of the attackers. Suddenly a large shadow passed over her head. She looked up to see Nightmare moon sour through the thunder clouds and into the tower of Celestia's bedroom. Twilight gasped in horror as she looked up at the tower. "This can't be good" she though as she looked around planning her next decision.

Twilight stopped looking around the chaos that played out around her and knew what she needed to do next. She began to Gallup towards Celestia’s chamber. Before long she had a chain of Changelings following her as she galloped as fast as she could towards the tower entrance. She could hear the voice of a pony calling her from behind her.
"Twilight where are you going!?" yelled Shadow Streak as he blasted another Changeling out of the sky. Twilight continued to gallop but yelled the answer as she went.
"I think the princess is in trouble, I need to see if she's okay. Tell the others if they ask!" she instructed as she navigated around battling royal guards and remorseless changelings. Shadow Night watched her go before yelling the words.
"Stay safe Twilight Sparkle".

Twilight made it to the entrance to the castle only to find a new obstetrical in her way which turned out to be a flight of stairs that seemed to go up for hundreds of steps. Twilight stared up at the tremendous number of steps she needed to climb before reaching Celestia. She knew that whatever Nightmare was planning it couldn't be good, closing the door behind her with a loud slam that echoed up the spiral stare case she begun to climb.