• Published 8th Feb 2015
  • 7,414 Views, 94 Comments

Glow-Stick of Friendship - Shaud



After the Battle of the Bands, everyone felt a bit different. Mainly they were different in how they acted: Friendlier. Sunset Shimmer, however, was just... Different.

  • ...
8
 94
 7,414

...Shimmering?

Maud stood amid the trees of the forest as the setting sun cast orange and red-hued rays among the branches. She didn't really hear the noises of the forest until she realized they had stopped. The birds no longer chirped, there were no small creatures scurrying about, and even the crickets that had just emerged had gone silent.

Someone else was near.

She heard someone behind her and turned around slowly, calmly, and without any emotion on her face. She was met with the sight of a slightly nervous, slightly cross Sunset Shimmer.

How poetic, Maud thought to herself, Seeing Sunset Shimmer while the sunset still shimmered...

Then she remebered why she was there in the first place, and all thoughts of poems and romance flew from her mind.

"You're impossibly smart... and strong. That symbol seems to mean more to you than it does most people. You... you tried to demolish the school. And sometimes you speak like you're from a different world." Her gaze shifted from Sunset's face to the general direction of the sunset. "You almost fainted when you heard some humans eat horse meat, and you hate Celestia without a direct reason."

Sunset blinked in surprise, unaware of how much the woman before her had been paying attention to her. Maud had obviously given this much thought, and she was about to get answers one way or another.

"Where are you from?" The grey girl had no infliction in her tone, only a sparkle in her eyes.

"Somewhere else." Sunset whispered as she stepped forward, towards Maud.

"But where?" Maud's voice lowered to a whisper on the last syllable, and her eyes narrowed. She watched as Sunset looked away briefly before looking back at her. She was thinking, Maud realized. Maud could only hope that Sunset trusted her.

It was a big risk for Sunset. One wrong word, telling the wrong person, hell even lying could make this end badly. Maud understood the reason for Sunset's uncertainty, and her insecurities.

"...It's called Equestria." Sunset looked into Maud's light blue eyes, and a rush of adrenaline flowed through both of them as each realized what exactly this meant. "It's... a different world."

Maud took in a deep breath. She had known, but it was still shocking to hear it said out loud.

"I know what really happened. The Fall Formal, then the Battle..." Maud's voice trailed off as she tried to word it right. Sunset had a shocked look on her face. Maud wasn't in high school, and she certainly didn't go to CHS--how could she have known? She didn't consider the fact that Maud was Pinkie's sister.

"There... It--it was..." The scientist inside Maud didn't want to admit it, but the dreamer--and the romantic--in her was pushing through. What Sunset--and the others--had done, it had no earthly--no human explanation.

"Say it." Sunset stepped forward again, and was only an arm's length away from Maud. "Out loud. Say it."

"...Magic."

Sunset stood frozen, utterly exposed. Maud stood there with less expression on her face, but inside her mind worked a million miles an hour.

"Are you afraid? Shocked? Confused?" Sunset implored quietly, almost resigned.

"I'm not afraid of you." Maud said firmly. She saw regret and pain flash across Sunset's face. "I'm not afraid of you, Sunset."

"Then ask me what happened." Sunset's face darkened, "Ask what happened at the Fall Formal."

"You wouldn't hurt anyone." Maud's voice was dangerously close to showing emotion, but not the one Sunset thought it would be. Maud almost sounded... happy.

"You think you know me?" Sunset glared at Maud, but the grey girl didn't even flinch. She stood her ground, confident that Sunset would never hurt her. She was slightly startled when Sunset grabbed her by the hand and began to drag her deeper into the forest.

"Where are we going?"

"Deeper into the forest. You need to see... You need to see the magic for yourself."

"But--I thought only friendship--" Maud was confused, but she was interrupted before she continue.

"We thought that at first, too." Sunset nodded, "But there's... a way around that."

Maud was silent for a few moments. Soon enough they had gone further into the forest, and it was becoming steadily darker every second. For the first time a pang of fear surged through her. They could get lost, or be attacked, or any number of things. And the had no kind of flashlight or way to see in the dark.

Or so she thought.

Sunset took off her jacket in one fell swoop and tossed in onto a nearby log, as if she had practiced that move. As the sun slipped further and further away she glanced at Maud with a bit of fear and excitement in her eyes. She held up her hand in front of her face, and Maud found herself transfixed by the sight.

Sunset was glowing a bright orange color. She lit up the forest like a night-light or a glow-stick would, and all Maud could do was stand there in awe. She's shimmering. Sunset took a step towards Maud.

"This is what I am. I'm not of this world." Maud isn't sure what Sunset expected of her--fear, nervousness, pity maybe--but she was obviously not expecting Maud to grab her hand and lace their fingers together. Maud enjoyed the blush on Sunset's face, and the way the glow was suddenly tinged with pink.

"You're beautiful."

Sunset sighed, but there was a small smile on her face.

"And you're impossible."


Sunset woke up with a start. Her heart pounded in her chest and she struggled to clear her mind of the mental image of her and Maud of all people.

She glanced around and found that all of her friends were still asleep, so she decided to join them in slumber once again.

She didn't notice Maud peering through the doorway at her.

Author's Note:

You should probably kill me now... it might be for the best...

sorrynotsorry

Also I had to actually read the Twilight script to get this scene written... And yes, this is a Twilight parody xD