• Published 4th Jan 2015
  • 1,532 Views, 81 Comments

Trial by Kinship - Metool Bard



Poachers hunting dragons? Not if Spike has anything to say about it! That is, if he can get past some awkwardness...

  • ...
8
 81
 1,532

Hit and Miss

When they emerged from the underground tunnels, the posse realized that they were pretty far away from the buffalo tribe. Desert land stretched out as far as the eye could see, and even through some light clouds, the sun's rays were just as relentless as ever. Off in the distance, Spike could barely make out a small mountain range just over the horizon. Toro sniffed the air and scowled.

"It's faint, but the trail continues this way," he said, pointing towards the mountain range.

"How long do you think it'll take us to get to those mountains?" asked Spike.

Toro shrugged. "Hard to say, Señor Spike. I'm used to traveling underground. This is completely out of my element."

Needles squinted and shielded her eyes to get a better view. "Hmm. Doesn't look that far to me. If we hustle, we can get there before the sun really starts to beat down on us. Toro, take point. We need your nose to make sure we're goin' the right way."

"Sí, Señorita Needles," said Toro with a nod. He then bent down on all fours and started sniffing the ground intently while everyone else followed at his heels. All was silent for a time, save for the clip-clop of pony hooves, the flapping of dragon wings, and Toro's nose working overtime. Finally, Spike cleared his throat.

"Hey, uh, Needles?"

Needles turned her head. "Yeah? What's up?"

Out of the corner of his eye, Spike noticed Trigger was glaring daggers at him. Trying his best to ignore it, he kept his attention on Needles.

"I was just wondering about that Toro guy," he said. "He's a part of your gang, right?"

"Since I can remember," said Needles.

"So, do I have to teach him how to be noble, too?"

Needles almost laughed, but after a pause, she furrowed her brow. "Y'know, that's the funny thing about Toro. Ever since I've met him, I could never get a fix on where his priorities lie. He has all the makings of an outlaw, and that's actually how he got his start. But he's always loyal to the folks he cares about, and he makes it a point to get his fair share and not a gem more. I'd say he's noble in a different kinda way. Which is fine, but it ain't doin' me any favors."

Spike scratched his head. "I'm a bit lost."

Needles sighed. "The Dragon Magi are supposed to be wise and willin' to help anyone in need. Toro isn't really like that. Sure, he'll help if the price is right, but Dragon Magi don't see things that way. They help others 'cause it feels good."

Spike blinked. "So, why aren't all Dragon Magi as small as you are?"

"And just what do you mean by that?" Trigger snarled, scuttling between Spike and Needles. "You think there's something wrong with Needles? Huh? I'm pretty sure it's unbecoming of a noble dragon to ask such personal questions."

"I-I'm not saying that," Spike squeaked defensively, flailing his arms. "It's just that I've been told that dragons grow bigger depending on the size of their hoard, but if the Dragon Magi don't believe in that..."

"Oh, we still have hoards. We just prefer to earn our gems rather than steal 'em," said Needles. "At least I think. Sorry, there's a lot about the Dragon Magi that I really don't know. It's quite embarrassin', actual—"

She paused and slowly turned to Spike. "Wait a minute. What'd you say before?"

"Before when?"

"You asked me why aren't all Dragon Magi as small as me. How in tarnation did you meet another Dragon Mage? Was it at the festival?"

"Um, yes?" said Spike nervously.

Needles titled her head. "What're you so jumpy about? I'm just curious is all."

"W-well, how do I put this?" said Spike, twiddling his fingers. "M-maybe you should sit down."

"Just spit it out already," said Needles impatiently. "What's the matter?"

Spike drew in a deep breath, trying to put off the bad news for as long as he could. "Thedragonpoacherskidnappedyourmother!" he blurted out in one breath.

Needles gave Spike a quizzical look. "Wait, slow down. What?"

Spike gestured to Big Macintosh and Braeburn frantically. With a heavy sigh, Braeburn trotted up to them.

"At the festival, we met this dragon named Nova," said he. "When Toro came lookin' for ya, she let it slip that you were her daughter. Then the poachers arrived, and well, you know what happened after that."

"Eeyup," Big Macintosh said solemnly.

Needles's eyes went wide. "N-no. Th-that can't be right. Sh-she must've been able to use her magic to—"

"Actually, I think she did," said Braeburn. "I was chargin' in along with Big Mac and Little Strongheart to help, and it felt like someone was guidin' my movements and makin' me run faster than I ever have before. I can't really prove it, but that might've been—"

Needles's knuckles became white as she gripped the handle of her parasol. "You all knew about this?"

"I-in our defense, Flint and I didn't know she got captured," Steel interjected meekly.

"You really don't have a spine, do you?" Flint muttered, rolling his eyes.

"W-we didn't want to cause you any undue stress, Needles," said Trigger, wringing his claws. "We realize you don't like talking about your family all that much, so—"

Needles interrupted Trigger with a smack from her parasol. "Trigger, why don't you ever think these things through? Don't you reckon that I'd want to know somethin' like that?! It's my ma, for cryin' out loud!"

Spike sighed. "Sorry, Needles. I guess we were all too caught up in the moment to remember to tell you."

"Eeyup," said Big Macintosh sadly.

Needles became short of breath as she gripped her parasol tighter and tighter. Plumes of smoke billowed from her nostrils, and her chest gave off a warm amber glow.

"Needles! A-are you alright?" asked Trigger. "You seem very tense. I-I can help you with that if you want. Ehheh..."

Needles shot Trigger a glare. "Do I look alright to you?!" she bellowed. "If those poachers find out that they caught a dragon who can use magic, the Dragon Magi are gonna be hunted to extinction!"

The spines on Spike's back stood up on end. In a matter of seconds, his shocked expression changed to one of righteous indignation.

"Fear not, milady!" he proclaimed, bowing before Needles. "On my Noble Dragon Code, I swear that I will not let that happen!"

"N-nor will I!" Trigger blurted out, pushing Spike to the side. Spike said nothing, but instead gave Trigger an annoyed look as he got up and dusted himself off.

Flint scoffed. "I can't tell whether this is funny or just sad."

Steel folded his arms. "Must you act so heartless, Flint? Ms. Needles needs our support now more than ever!"

"Oh, stuff it. You don't care about this any more than I do. You're just worried about your standing with the buffalo."

"How can you say that?!"

"Because I know you, and I know how much of a wimp you are."

"Well, at least I'm not an obnoxious brute!"

"Well at least I'm honest about my intentions!"

The glowing light in Needles's chest began glowing hotter and brighter. Her breathing became erratic, and her eyes were scrunched tight. Before she could let loose any of the tension, Toro raised his paw.

"She's here," he said, sniffing the air.

Steel whipped his head around. "She? She who?"

"Hello again, big brother."

As if on cue, a familiar voice echoed from the mountain before them. Everyone looked up. There was Isabelle, standing on the cliffside with her arms folded and a smug grin plastered on her face.

"Isabelle," Toro growled, reaching for his cannon. "What are you doing out here?"

"Keeping watch," said Isabelle. "You see, I figured those buffalo would be mighty sore about our little raid last night, and I decided to create a little welcoming committee for them. However, I honestly didn't expect them to send you."

"Enough games!" roared Steel, pointing his bow at Isabelle. "Where are you keeping Little Strongheart and our brethren?!"

Isabelle giggled. "You really think I'd tell the likes of you and ruin everything?"

Toro shook his head. "This isn't you, Isabelle. You're no cazadore."

"I am now, big brother," said Isabelle with a twinkle in her eye. "Ever since trying to catch you, you've shown me the true thrill of the hunt. But because you always miss, I had to go for something more, challenging. So I figured if you can leave the pack and make a name for yourself, why can't I?"

"You really want to be known for hurting dragons?!" shouted an aghast Spike.

Isabelle shrugged. "That's none of your concern. And in the meantime, I can't let you find our hideout! No buffalo, Diamond Dog, or pony is going to take this away from me!"

She then put her fingers to her lips and whistled. From the nooks and crannies behind her, several oxen marched out with bowstrings fixated around their horns and quivers strapped to their backs. Needles bit her lip.

"Shoot. Another ambush," she muttered bitterly.

"Think we better start runnin'?" said Braeburn.

Steel scoffed. "No way. We can take 'em!"

Braeburn raised an eyebrow. "You really think you can take on an entire hoard of oxbow men with that little thing?"

Steel gave Braeburn a quizzical look. "What men?"

"Oxbow men."

Steel scratched his head. "What the heck's an oxbow?"

Braeburn deadpanned. "A bow used by an ox. What do you think it is?"

"Wait, isn't it some kinda lake?" asked Spike. "I think I read about it in a book Twilight gave me."

"Guys, can we save this discussion for after we get away from the trained marksmen ready to tan our hides?!" Needles yelled. "Let's move before—"

She was interrupted by a stray arrow buzzing past her cheek. Using their tails, the oxbow men drew the arrows from their quivers, fit them to their bows, and pulled the bowstring back all the way.

"That was just a warning shot," said Isabelle. "Next time, they won't miss."

Spike swallowed. Although his heart pounded something fierce, he stood his ground.

"Y-you can't scare us!" he proclaimed. "We won't rest until you pay for what you've done!"

"Is that so?" said Isabelle. "Well, suit yourselves. Oxbow men, make it rain!"

Sure enough, a flurry of arrows were launched from the mountainside. Spike and the others barely dodged the onslaught as they ran around the mountain, only to find more oxbow men waiting for them.

"We gotta find our way through those mountains!" Needles hollered. "She couldn't have hired that many oxbow men!"

"Don't worry, Ms. Needles!" said Steel, taking out an arrow and setting it alight. "I'll drive them off!"

As he fiddled with the flaming arrow, several bolts whizzed past him. Some of them embedded themselves in his thick scales, but they didn't penetrate deep enough for him to feel them.

"C-come on. I-I just want to make it so that my bow doesn't catch fire," Steel grumbled.

"Steel, hurry up, or we're gonna leave without you!" Flint snapped.

"Just a moment, just a moment!" Steel called back. "Almost... There! Alright, you oxbow guys! Take th— Yeow!"

A stray arrow hit Steel's claw, causing him to drop the fire arrow.

"Great, now will you get a move on?" Flint said. "We can't just stay in one place for too long, in case you haven't noticed!"

"C-coming," Steel whimpered, nursing the wound in his claw. "That was dirty."

Once Steel rejoined the group, the posse ran as fast as they could. At the first canyon they happened upon, they turned and ducked into it, hoping to give the oxbow men the slip. However, the canyon's cliffs were also being patrolled.

"I get the feelin' they really don't wanna be found!" Braeburn hollered.

"Eeyup!" Big Macintosh concurred.

Needles snorted. "C'mon! We gotta find some shelter, then we can worry 'bout the poachers!"

The posse ran clear across the valley, hiding behind every outcropping they could find. But no matter where they went, the arrows of the oxbow men were not far behind. Finally, Needles spotted a dark cave at the bottom of one of the cliffs.

"Guys, in there!" she yelled.

No one needed to be told twice. They all ducked into the cave, only to find that there wasn't solid footing inside. Into the darkness they fell, sliding down what felt like smooth, wet sand.

Spike opened a tentative eye, only to find darkness all around him. Needles's amber glow illuminated the area, showing everyone piled on top of one another in a heap.

"Everyone okay?" she inquired.

"Oh, my poor claw," Steel whined, still reeling from his arrow wound.

"Oh, suck it up, you big baby," Flint groaned.

"Well, nothing's broken," said Braeburn. "What about you, Big Mac? You doin' alright?"

"Eeyup," Big Macintosh said in a strained tone.

"I am thankful for my thick scales," Spike moaned.

"As long as you're well, Needles, I'll be fine," grunted Trigger.

"A few nicks and scratches, but I'm alright," said Toro, slowly getting to his feet.

"Good," said Needles. "Now, we can take a breather here while we wait for them oxbow men to leave. Flint? Would you go fly up and check if the coast is clear?"

"And why me?"

"'Cause you're not wounded."

Flint rolled his eyes. "Alright, fine." He flapped his wings, but didn't move an inch off the ground. "Uh, guys? I'm stuck."

Needles sighed. "Don't make excuses, Flint."

"No, really. I'm stuck," Flint insisted. "What is this stuff?"

Curious, Spike tried to move his leg. Much to his surprise, the ground held him fast. One by one, the others found that they had the same problem. Needles blanched.

"Uh-oh."

"What? What's wrong?" asked Spike.

Needles opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off by a sleepy rasp coming from below. She swallowed.

"Spike, have you ever heard of an antlion before?"

Spike blinked. "It sounds kinda familiar. Might've been from one of Twilight's monster journals. I don't remember it off the top of my head, though."

"Well, picture a giant ant that eats whatever it wants, can fossilize you with its breath, and uses quicksand pits just like spiders use webs."

Spike gulped. "I-I don't like this picture very much. Wh-why are you bringing this up?"

"'Cause in my infinite Dragon Mage wisdom, I think I might've accidentally led us into an antlion's nest."

Another rasp echoed from below as something stirred in the shadows. At the bottom of the pit, it was just as Needles described. A gigantic ant with razor sharp teeth as well as threatening mandibles and a bushy mane was curled up like a cat in front of a hearth, snoring peacefully.

"Well, at least it's not awake," Spike said, dipping his voice. "If we can somehow get out of this quicksand, maybe we can sneak past it."

Trigger scoffed. "Oh, sure. Only a noble dragon would sneak away from conflict instead of—"

Needles interrupted him with a smack from her parasol. "We are not goin' through that again!" she hissed. "Now c'mon, y'all. Let's go."

Ever so carefully, the posse waded through the quicksand back up towards the cave entrance. Every so often, the antlion shuffled a bit in its sleep, causing everyone to freeze. But thankfully, the creature didn't even open one eye. After much struggling, they finally reached the top.

"Huh. That wasn't so bad," said Steel.

No sooner had he said that than the cave entrance exploded, sending large debris everywhere. Once the rubble was cleared, a larger creature towered over the group. This one appeared to be a gigantic crab with a horned mask and a single segmented claw with no pincer at the end. The crab swiped its claw and let out a screech, which prompted a grouchy rasp from below. Flint gave Steel a deadpan look.

"You just had to open your big mouth, didn't you?" he said, smacking Steel upside the head.

"I, don't suppose you know what that is, do you?" said Spike, pointing at the crab.

"Nope," said Needles. "But whatever it is, we're gonna have to fight it in order to get back on track."

"Okay. Any ideas?"

Needles bit her lip and trembled, as if the words she was trying to say were physically hurting her. "I-I-I d-d-d-don't kn-know."

Spike wasn't sure why Needles was acting this way, but he pushed that thought aside. "I guess that means we're improvising. C'mon, everyone! We've come too far to give up now!"

"Who died and made you boss?!" Trigger barked.

"This is not the time for petty arguments, Señor Trigger!" Toro hollered. "¡Aquí, pronto!"

As the others prepared for battle, Needles's mind raced furiously.

H-he's just gonna fight that thing without a plan? she wondered. Th-that's insane! He doesn't know how to fight that thing! None of us do! Dang it, why can't I figure out what to do?! I'm a Dragon Mage; I'm supposed to have all the answers! But I don't! I just, don't...

As these thoughts raced through her head, the warm glow in her chest returned. Ever so slowly, it built up more heat and became brighter and brighter, threatening to burst forth at any given moment...