• Published 4th Jan 2015
  • 1,532 Views, 81 Comments

Trial by Kinship - Metool Bard



Poachers hunting dragons? Not if Spike has anything to say about it! That is, if he can get past some awkwardness...

  • ...
8
 81
 1,532

Reconnection and Roots

"So, you had to go through all that just to deliver a wagon full of pies?!"

"Eeyup."

"Whoa. Dude, that takes some serious guts."

Big Macintosh gave Spike a modest shrug. "It ain't that big a deal."

"You always say that," Spike said, rolling his eyes.

Big Macintosh simply shrugged again and turned his attention to the window. For a time, the only sounds Spike could here were the clicking and clacking of the train wheels and the conversations of other passengers. Becoming restless, he took out the letter from Little Strongheart and read it over again.

"I still can't believe Little Strongheart is inviting me to this Dragon Dance Festival," he said. "I never even heard of it until just yesterday."

"Same here," said Big Macintosh, still looking out the window. "Accordin' to Braeburn, it's some kinda buffalo tradition."

"That sounds pretty neat," said Spike. "Heh, good thing Twilight gave me the week off to check it out. It's been a while since I've seen Chief Thunderhooves and his tribe. I'm actually kinda nervous."

Big Macintosh breathed out a short laugh. "You ain't the only one."

Spike looked up and raised an eyebrow. "What're you talking about, Big Mac? You never get nervous about anything."

Big Macintosh brushed the back of his head sheepishly. "Well, I ain't as familiar with them buffalo folk as Cousin Braeburn is. I wouldn't know what to say to 'em."

Spike shrugged. "Well, just say what you always say to everypony. That always works for you, doesn't it?"

Big Macintosh snickered. "I don't think that's what Braeburn had in mind when he invited me out here, Spike."

"Whatever, man," said Spike with a wave of his claw. "All I know is that this sounds like something pretty special, and I can't think of a better way to spend my vacation."

"Eeyup," Big Macintosh concurred.

"Appleloosa station! Watch your step, everypony!"

"Whoop! That's us," said Spike. He quickly stashed the letter away and hopped off of his seat.

"Eeyup," Big Macintosh said simply, getting up from his own seat. The two of them quickly ventured onto the platform. As soon as they set foot off of the train, Braeburn bounded in and gave Big Macintosh a hug.

"Cousin Big Mac! Good to seeya, you ole sonnofa gun!" he cheered.

"Oof. N-nice to see ya too, Braeburn," Big Macintosh grunted, returning the embrace. "It's been too long."

"Sure has," said Braeburn, releasing Big Macintosh. "You all excited 'bout the Dragon Dance Festival? Little Strongheart says this is the first time anypony has been a part of it."

"Y'don't say," Big Macintosh mused, furrowing his brow. "In that case, I'm quite flattered that you decided to invite me."

"Aw, shoot. Don't mention it, Big Mac," said Braeburn with a tip of his hat. "It's like my pa used to say: What better way to make history than with family by your side? Besides, I figured you could use a break from all that singin' you've been doin' lately. Gotta say, I never took ya for the singin' type."

Big Macintosh did a double take. "Who told ya 'bout the Ponytones?"

"Granny Smith did in her last letter," said Braeburn with a smirk. "She's really proud of ya, y'know."

Big Macintosh brushed the back of his foreleg leg with his hoof. "I should've known. Ah well, it was bound to come out sometime."

"Ain't that the truth," Braeburn laughed. He then noticed Spike down by Big Macintosh's feet. "Oh, hey Spike! Didn't see ya for a minute there."

"Meh, I'm used to it," said Spike with a self-mocking chuckle. "How're things here in Appleloosa?"

"Couldn't be better," said Braeburn proudly. "And let me just say that you're in for a real treat tonight."

"Yeah, Little Strongheart already told me about the Dragon Dance Festival thing," said Spike, taking out the invitation. "Do you know what it's all about, Braeburn?"

"Perhaps it's best if I explain."

A familiar voice made its way into the conversation. Spike turned to see Little Strongheart trotting across the platform. He waved to her, and she bowed in return.

"It's an honor to have you take part in this year's Dragon Dance Festival, Spike," she said. "I honestly feel guilty about not inviting you before."

"It's just as well. I've been pretty busy myself," said Spike with a shrug. "So, this is supposed to be a big deal for the buffalo, yeah?"

"Indeed," said Little Strongheart. "The Dragon Dance Festival is a week-long celebration of our camaraderie with the dragons. It's been a buffalo tradition for generations, and Chief Thunderhooves has permitted outsiders to take part in it for the first time."

Spike tilted his head. "Wait, this is the first time he's doing this? But I thought you and the Appleloosans have been getting along for moons now. That's what you've told me in your letters."

"And it's true," said Little Strongheart with a nod. "However, we know that ponies don't understand dragons nearly as well as we do. We felt many aspects of the festival would be lost on them. That is, until a certain pony showed us that cultural differences didn't matter as long as everyone was having fun. I don't quite remember his name, though."

"Cheese Sandwich, I think it was," Braeburn mused.

"Mmm, that's probably it," Little Strongheart said thoughtfully. "Anyway, Chief Thunderhooves was moved by his words, and he decided that instead of keeping ponies away from our traditions, we can allow them to take part and teach them about our culture."

"Neat," said Spike. "So, why's it called the Dragon Dance Festival, exactly?"

"Why, that's very simple. The cornerstone of the festival is that we buffalo dance with the dragons."

"Ah, okay. That make se— WHAT?!"

Spike's jaw dropped to the floor. Big Macintosh raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"Uh, do you mean metaphorically?" he inquired.

Little Strongheart giggled and shook her head. "Not at all. Apart from the Great Dragon Migration, the Dragon Dance Festival is the greatest gathering of dragons in the land. It's been that way ever since our ancestors started the tradition many moons ago."

Spike swallowed. "S-so, there are gonna be other dragons here?"

"Of course," said Little Strongheart.

Spike drew in a sharp breath through his teeth. "Hoo boy..."

Little Strongheart's face clouded with worry. "What's the matter, Spike?"

"Um, well, how do I put this?" said Spike, scratching his head. "I, don't talk to a lot of dragons all that much. And whenever I do, they turn out to be, uh, um, jerks. I mean, not that I think all dragons are jerks, seeing as I'm a dragon, but—"

Little Strongheart cut across Spike with a chuckle. "It's alright, Spike. I assure you, there's nothing for you to worry about. In fact, I have some dragon friends who're helping set things up. I'd love to introduce you to them."

"Well, I dunno," said Spike sheepishly. "I mean, I've spent my entire life around ponies. What if they don't like me?"

"Nonsense," said Little Strongheart with a shake of her head. "I happen to know these dragons quite well, and they're not going to care about that one bit."

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"Positive? 'Cause like I said, I've been burned by that kinda thing before."

"Trust me, they're very friendly," Little Strongheart insisted. "Come, I'll show you."

Spike tapped his chin with his claw and knitted his brow. After a pause, he shrugged his shoulders.

"Eh, I can't start this vacation with a bad attitude," he said. "Let's go meet your friends."

"That's the spirit," Little Strongheart cheered, lowering herself to her knees. "Climb on."

Spike obliged and turned to Big Macintosh. "I guess I'll be seeing you later then, huh?"

"Eeyup," said Big Macintosh with a nod. "Braeburn's gotta help me unpack and such."

"Plus, we've got some catchin' up to do," Braeburn added. "Don't worry, we'll see ya at the festival tonight."

"Alright, cool," said Spike. "Seeya at the festival."

With one final exchange of goodbyes, Little Strongheart took off like a shot. As she darted across the desert plains, butterflies manifested themselves within Spike's stomach.

I hope she's right about these dragons being friendly, he thought. Otherwise, this is not gonna be pretty...

***

In a matter of moments, Little Strongheart and Spike arrived at a familiar group of teepees just at the top of a mountain overlooking the town of Appleloosa. All of the buffalo were bustling about the camp, doing this that or the other. Some were carrying bowls overflowing with topaz while others balanced apple pies and other delicacies on their heads.

"Looks like preparations are in full swing," Spike observed.

"It's been that way since early this morning," said Little Strongheart. "You'll soon discover that we take the Dragon Dance Festival very seriously."

"Yeah, no kidding," said Spike, looking around the camp. "So, where are these dragon friends of yours?"

"Around and about," said Little Strongheart. "They're all doing different jobs. Ah, there are a couple of them now."

Spike looked to where Little Strongheart was pointing. A small yellow dragon with a mole on her cheek sat cross-legged on a rock with her eyes closed. Next to her, a white dragon with sapphire eyes was waving a fan in back of her, providing a cool breeze. He stopped when he noticed Little Strongheart approaching.

"O-oh! M-Ms. Strongheart!" he rasped, hiding the fan behind his back. "W-we were wondering where you were. We weren't slacking at all, honest! Ehheh... Ehheh..."

Little Strongheart rolled her eyes. "Save it, Trigger. Listen, do you think you could snap Needles out of her meditation? I want to introduce you two to someone."

Before Trigger could respond, Needles opened one eye. "Will this take long? I really want to be in the right state of mind for tonight."

"It'll just be a second," said Little Strongheart, lowering Spike to the ground. "Spike, these are Needles and Trigger; the dragon friends I've been telling you about. Needles, Trigger. This is Spike. He's from Ponyville."

"Uh, hey," said Spike with an awkward wave. "Wh-what's up?"

"Howdy," Needles said bluntly, closing her eyes again. "Now leave me alone."

"You heard her, Mr. Spike," said Trigger. "She wants to be alone."

Little Strongheart frowned. "Needles, don't be rude."

Needles sighed. "Strongheart, I'm a wee bit stressed out about tonight. I don't have time to be makin' acquaintances."

"Well, maybe Spike can help you take your mind off things," Little Strongheart suggested.

Needles paused for a moment and heaved another sigh. "Alright, fine. I can't concentrate with everyone runnin' about, anyway." She slid off the rock and waddled over to Spike, extending her claw. "Sorry 'bout before. I didn't mean to come across as crass."

Spike stared blankly at the outstretched claw for a moment. "Uh..."

Needles arched an eyebrow. "You alright there?"

"Um, yeah! Sure, totally," said Spike, finally accepting the handshake. "I just, spaced out there for a second."

Trigger narrowed his eyes. "Don't get any fancy ideas, Mr. Spike. Needles is taken."

Needles's cheeks turned a violent shade of red as she shot Trigger a glare. "Trigger! Why'd ya have to go and say something like that for?! We just met!"

"I-I'm just putting it out there, my dear desert butterfly," said Trigger, wringing his claws. "Ehheh... Ehheh..."

Needles rolled her eyes. "Good grief," she muttered before turning back to Spike. "You'll have to forgive Trigger. He's a bit, overprotective."

"G-got it," Spike stammered. "So, uh, I'm from Ponyville."

"Yeah, Strongheart just mentioned that," said Needles. She gave Spike a small smirk. "I've actually heard about you a while back. Bunch of fillies from Ponyville were singin' your praises. Don't ask me how I met 'em; it's a bit of a tale."

Spike blushed and rubbed the back of his head. "O-oh, really? Wh-what did they say about me?"

"Mostly that you were this noble fella who helps damsels in distress and all that jazz."

Spike's face became redder as he twiddled his fingers. "Aw, gee. I-I mean, I always try to be noble and stuff. I even created my own Noble Dragon Code."

Needles sniggered. "Yeah, apparently those fillies thought it was somethin' that all dragons had. I take it you're the only dragon they've ever really met before me."

"Heh heh, yeah," said Spike with a chuckle of his own. "So, um, do you live out here?"

"Sure do," said Needles with a nod. "I've been here all my life."

"Cool, cool. That's, cool," said Spike. "Um, sorry if this sounds weird, but you are honestly the nicest dragon I've ever met."

Needles laughed. "Aw, you flatterer you."

"N-no, I mean it," said Spike. "Every other dragon I've ever talked to was, um, well, kinda jerkish. I don't talk to a lot of dragons is what I'm trying to say."

"It's alright, guy. I ain't offended," said Needles, folding her arms. "In fact, I know exactly what you're talkin' about."

"C'mon, Chief! Give us a break! No one's gonna miss one or two pieces of topaz!"

"I've made this perfectly clear to you two. That topaz is for the festival."

Needles groaned and palmed her face. "Case in point."

Spike turned to where the commotion was brewing. He saw Chief Thunderhooves arguing with a pair of teenage dragons; a short black one, and a tall grey one. Little Strongheart let out a sigh of her own.

"I'd better go straighten this out," she said. "I'll be right back."

She galloped off towards the argument while Needles simply shook her head and clicked her tongue.

"Tch. Sometimes those two really get on my nerves," she groused.

"Friends of yours?" Spike asked.

"If you could call 'em that," said Needles. "Those two knuckleheads are Flint and Steel. Trigger and I are staying at their nest. It's our hideout."

Spike tilted his head. "Hideout?"

"Oh, forgot to mention," said Needles, clearing her throat. "We're actually part of this mercenary group out in the Mild West. We keep things orderly out in these parts, but we only work for gems. We call ourselves the Dragoons."

"Huh," said Spike, knitting his brow. "And here I thought I was the only dragon who didn't horde treasure and smash phoenix eggs."

"Yeah, dragons like us are a rare breed," said Needles with a sigh. She then looked up at Spike and smiled. "Y'know what, Spike? You're alright. It's nice to talk to someone who understands me like this."

"H-hey! I understand you!" Trigger protested. "You just won't give me a chance!"

Needles deadpanned. "Trigger, I cut you more slack than anyone else would. Don't go claimin' that I treat you unfairly."

Spike gulped. "Uh, look, Mr. Trigger, sir. I-I'm not trying to start anything."

Trigger leered at Spike. "I'm making sure you don't, buster. I won't let you take Needles from me."

Needles pinched the bridge of her nose. "Trigger, this better not become a thing. You're annoyin' enough without gettin' all jealous just 'cause I'm makin' small talk with some other guy."

"Hey guys, I'm back."

Little Strongheart reemerged with Flint and Steel in tow. Flint scowled and folded his arms while Steel twiddled his fingers sheepishly.

"You really are a killjoy; you know that, LS?" Flint snarled.

"To be fair, we were wrong to eat the topaz before the festival, Flint," said Steel.

"Oh, shut up," Flint spat.

Little Strongheart let out an exasperated sigh. "Guys, you promised me you'd be on your best behavior. This is the Dragon Dance Festival, after all."

"W-well, we were hungry," said Flint defensively. "Sometimes that happens." He then noticed Spike. "Hey, who's the shrimp?"

"Oh, uh, hi," said Spike, clearing his throat. "I'm Spike."

"He's visitn' from Ponyville," Needles explained.

"Oh! That's lovely," said Steel with a bow. "Some call me Steel, but you may call me, um, Steel."

"Oh, brother," Flint groaned.

"And Mr. Personality over here is Flint," said Needles, gesturing to Flint.

"Whatever," Flint grumbled.

"It's, uh, nice to meet you guys," said Spike.

"You as well," said Steel. "We heard that you're friends of Little Strongheart, and any friend of Little Strongheart is a friend of ours! Isn't that right, Flint?"

Flint's only response was a cold glare.

"Um, I'll take that as a 'maybe,'" said Steel with a nervous chuckle. "Please excuse him, Mr. Spike. Flint's a bit of a grump."

"I'm right here, y'know," Flint snarled.

Little Strongheart sighed. "Well, I guess I'd better help the Chief with the preparations. Spike, you just make yourself comfortable, and don't be afraid to holler if you need something. Flint, Steel. You two are coming with me."

"What?! Hey, I thought dragons didn't need to help with preparations!" Flint bellowed.

"I think we revoked that privilege when we ate that topaz, Flint," said Steel.

Flint palmed his face. "Can't I get a break? Can't I just get one lousy break?"

"Maybe if you actually got some manners, we'd consider it," said Needles bluntly. Something suddenly seemed to strike her. "Say, have you guys seen Toro yet?"

"Not since this morning," said Steel with a shrug.

Needles furrowed her brow. "What is takin' him so long?"

"Um, who's Toro? Another friend of yours?" asked Spike. "I can help you find him if you want."

"N-no no, that's-that's fine!" Trigger blurted out. "W-we don't need your help. Ehheh..."

"What Trigger's tryin' to say is that Toro has a habit of poppin' up when you least expect him," said Needles. "That bein' said, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check and see if anyone saw him. It's been nice talkin' to you, Spike."

"Yeah, same here," said Spike with a nod. "I guess I'll see you guys later."

"Yeah, seeya," said Needles with a friendly wave. "C'mon, Trigger."

With that, she and Trigger waddled off, but not before Trigger gave Spike an "I'm watching you" gesture. Spike blinked.

"That Trigger guy's kinda weird," he said.

"You don't know the half of it, pal," Flint said with a snort.

"Guys? Time's wasting," said Little Strongheart firmly. "We should have all the supplies we need by sundown. Now let's get a move-on."

She then galloped off with Flint and Steel following at her heels, Flint grumbling the whole time. Spike took a moment to process the entire encounter.

Huh. That sure was something, he thought. That Needles girl was pretty cute. Not Rarity-level gorgeous, of course, but still cute. And those other dragons are alright, too. They're certainly better than other dragons I could mention; that's for sure.

He lay down on the rock Needles was meditating on and began basking in the sunlight. "Aah~. Just what the doctor ordered. I really deserved this break. Meeting some new friends; dancing the night away; eating topaz under the stars. I gotta feeling this is gonna be the best vacation I've ever had."