• Published 4th Jan 2015
  • 1,529 Views, 81 Comments

Trial by Kinship - Metool Bard



Poachers hunting dragons? Not if Spike has anything to say about it! That is, if he can get past some awkwardness...

  • ...
8
 81
 1,529

Done and Undone

"Let me go! Let me go right now, or I'll make ya see stars!"

"You're in no position to be making that threat, I'm afraid. Stop squirming and accept your fate."

Nova opened one tentative eye as her meditation was disrupted by a sharp quarrel echoing throughout the cavern. Little Strongheart perked up as well, turning her attention to the source of the din.

"Hmm. It appears we may have some company," Nova mused. "Odd. I was sure it would be Mrs. Moschet that would disturb me."

Little Strongheart snorted indignantly. "These poachers truly have no shame. Ten dragons clearly wasn't enough for them."

"The word 'enough' is not in the vernacular of the greedy," Nova said solemnly. "Though I have to wonder."

"What?"

"With your people and my daughter coming to our rescue, do these poachers really have the resources to continue hunting?"

Little Strongheart rubbed the side of her head. "That's actually an interesting point. I dunno, maybe they just—"

"Just wait until I get loose, ya varmints! Then you'll be sorry!"

Little Strongheart's eyes went wide as a shocking revelation struck her. "Wait a minute. I know that voice!"

Nova raised an eyebrow. "You do?"

"Yes! B-but that's impossible!" Little Strongheart exclaimed. "Th-they couldn't have captured her. They simply—"

She was interrupted when Isabelle and Pepito marched into view. Isabelle had a content smile on her face as she had her lasso slung over her shoulder. Pepito, however, was giving his boss a dark look.

"Hey, dragons," Isabelle called out. "Want some company? Well, here you go!"

She tossed the lasso through the bars and into the cage. Little Strongheart reared back as a familiar baby dragon bound from the neck down landed at her feet. She couldn't believe her eyes.

"Needles?!"

Needles didn't even bother to look up. "Don't. Say. A word."

Isabelle laughed and patted Pepito on the back. "This is it, Pepito! This is our ticket to fame and fortune!"

Pepito folded his arms. "We agree no traping young, Señora Isabelle. You go against deal."

"Oh, quit your bellyaching," Isabelle scoffed.

Pepito blinked in confusion. "¿Qué? My belly fine."

"Not what I meant, you dope," Isabelle growled. "Look, we just caught a magical dragon, Pepito. The alphas of the underground network would pay top diamond for something like that!"

"I no agree to this, Isabelle," Pepito said sternly. "Is wrong."

Isabelle narrowed her eyes and towered over Pepito. "Who's the boss of this operation, Pepito? You or me?"

Pepito swallowed. "Y-you."

"Very good. And do you know what that means?"

"What you say goes."

"Right again. So I don't want to hear any more backtalk unless you think I should find a new second-in-command."

Pepito let out a defeated sigh. "Sí, Señora Isabelle. I sorry."

Nova looked down at the exchange, stroking her chin in thought. Little Strongheart, however, kept her attention focused on Needles, who barely even twitched since she was thrown into the cage.

"This had better be good, Jacques! After what happened today, you'd better make up for it!"

All eyes were drawn to another conversation coming from the opposite tunnel. Jacques and Maggie made their way towards the cage. Jacques appeared to have a black eye and several bandages as he cowered before his displeased wife.

"N-now now, Maggie. Everything has been sorted," Jacques said nervously.

Maggie raised an eyebrow. "Sorted? You mean how two of our deathstalkers are dead, our Shielded Thundercrab lost its claw and its faceplate, and the rest of the animals you let loose all have some kind of injury? Our veterinary costs were high enough already, Jacques!"

"I understand that there were some minor setbacks to this major operation, my delicate little scorpion," said Jacques. "But I assure you, once the day is done, it'll all be worth it."

Maggie huffed and crossed her arms. "I sure hope so, Jacques. For your sake."

Jacques let out a nervous chuckle and cleared his throat. "Now then, Ms. Isabelle. Are you ready to show my wife what you have on offer?"

Isabelle gave Jacques a toothy grin. "Am I ever," she said, turning to Maggie. "Mrs. Moschet, you are quite the lucky girl. We just got ourselves a catch that's right up your alley."

Maggie arched an eyebrow. "Oh? What might that be?"

"I'm glad you asked," said Isabelle, turning to Pepito. "Pepito, hace que el dragón mágico se levanta."

Pepito glared at Isabelle, but said nothing as he skittered over to the cage. He grabbed the rope that held Needles and gave it a quick yank, forcing her to sit upright. Maggie's eyes glistened.

"A-a baby? Why didn't you mention you had a baby in here?" she said, slithering up to Needles. "She's so cute~! Who's a cute little dragon? Oo's a cutie~? It's you~! It is~!"

Needles deadpanned. "Don't patronize me, lad— ow!"

She was cut off by a sharp pinch, even though Maggie didn't move. Three seconds later, Maggie actually did pinch Needles's cheeks and started playing with them.

"Ooh my. Someone has a naughty temper," she chided, a sharp barb hidden within her sweet voice.

"You injure, you buy," Pepito warned, prompting an elbow jab from Isabelle.

"Let our client have her fun, Pepito," she said. "Besides, she hasn't even heard the best part."

Maggie perked up. "There's more?"

"As a matter of fact, there is," said Isabelle. "This little tyke just so happens to know how to use magic. First of its kind, I believe."

Maggie's entire face lit up. "Even better! A cute pet who can do magic tricks! How much?"

Isabelle stroked her chin in thought. "Now that is a great question, Mrs. Moschet. Pepito, you mind crunching the numbers?"

Pepito stared blankly at Isabelle before stifling a chuckle.

"What's so funny?" Isabelle asked.

"Hee hee hee. Is not possible, Señora Isabelle. I-is not."

Isabelle folded her arms. "And just why isn't it possible?"

"Numbers no go crunch! Hee hee ha— yiii!"

He flinched as Isabelle grabbed him by the collar with both paws and hoisted him up.

"¡Calcule los costos para nuestros servicios, idiota!" she barked.

"Oh, sí! Yes, I understand now," said Pepito.

Isabelle released Pepito, allowing him to take out an abacus and shift a few beads around. After much hemming and hawing, he arrived at his figure.

"This dragon cost six hundred thousand gemstones," he concluded.

Jacques's eyes nearly popped out of his skull. "Six hundred thousand?! How did you get to that number?!"

"Well, dragon is magic, yes?" said Pepito. "Plus, you no pay us yet for catching other dragons. Is part of bill."

Jacques turned to Maggie. "Um, why don't you try and find something a bit nicer, dear? I-I'm sure that pink one is just as fine."

Maggie deadpanned. "No, it's not, Jacques. I want the cute baby. She's worth every gem."

"Weren't you just on my back for wasting all our money?!" Jacques cried. "If we buy that, we'll have nothing le— ow!"

Jacques flinched as though he had just been slapped. Three seconds later, Maggie actually slapped him, causing him to double over in pain.

"Do you want me to get over the stupidity you've displayed these past few days, Jacques?" she inquired.

Jacques gulped. "O-of course, my precious rattlesnake."

"Then you'll buy me that dragon."

"Y-yes, dear," Jacques whimpered.

Isabelle flashed a toothy grin. "Excellent choice, madam. Now, we just need you to fill out some paperwork, and we'll be all set."

"Very well," said Maggie. "Jacques, be a dear and deal with that, will you? I need to make a home for our lovely new pet."

Jacques leered at Maggie. "It's your dragon. Why don't you fill out the paperwork?"

"Because you're the one who still owes these hooligans money, remember?" said Maggie. "Plus, unless I'm mistaken, this is your anniversary present to me, is it not?"

Jacques sighed. "Alright, alright. You win."

Maggie giggled. "Don't I always?" She turned to Needles and pinched her cheek again. "I'll see you later, you adorable little magician you. We're going to have so much fun together~!"

With that, she slithered away. Jacques let out a frustrated grunt.

"I wish that woman would make up her mind," he groused. "Okay, let's get this over with."

"Sure thing, Mr. Moschet," said Isabelle. "Pepito, protector del soporte mientras que tomo cuidado de nuestro cliente. Y no deje a nuestro amigo mágico escaparse, o bien."

"Sí, Señora Isabelle," Pepito said glumly.

Isabelle took Jacques by the arm and led her deeper into the cavern. Once they were out of earshot, Nova looked over at Needles.

"Are you alright, child?" she asked.

Needles looked up and deadpanned. "I just got sold into slavery. Do ya think I'm alright?"

"Needles, watch your tone," Little Strongheart scolded. "I know you're upset, and you have every right to be. But that's—"

Nova raised her claw and shook her head. "Let the child figure it out on her own, Ms. Strongheart. She's a smart girl."

"Figure what out?" asked Needles. "What in tarnation are you talkin' about?"

Nova frowned. "I suppose it's been too long. You may not recognize me, Needles, but I recognize you."

"Wait, how do you know my—?"

Needles answered her own question before she could finish it. Once she realized what was going on, her eyes welled up in tears.

"M-ma? I-is that you?"

Nova nodded. "It is, Needles."

Needles averted her gaze. "Alright then. Go ahead."

Nova tilted her head. "Go ahead and do what, child?"

"Yell at me. Scold me. Tell me that I screwed up everythin' and doomed us all," Needles said in a strained tone. "'Cause I know I have."

Little Strongheart reached out her hoof. "Needles, I—"

"Don't touch me!" Needles snapped, causing Little Strongheart to flinch. "This is just what I deserve! I'm no wise Dragon Mage, and I never will be! The one time in my life that I thought I could handle makin' a tough decision, and I chose wrong!"

"Chose wrong?" parroted Little Strongheart.

Needles nodded as she let out all of her frustrations in an endless stream. "I'm cursed, Strongheart. Cursed with this power that I don't understand and this responsibility I can never live up to. This fiery beast just erupted from my body, and I couldn't control it. Then I find out that thing is supposed to be my guide or somethin', but before I could figure that part out, we get ambushed. Then I'm forced to choose between usin' my magic to save us or keepin' the existence of the Dragon Magi a secret, and you can see for yourself how that turned out. Now those poachers are gonna hunt us all down, and it's all my fault!"

She concluded her tirade by hanging her head in shame, crying all the while. Nova closed her eyes and folded her arms, meditating on what she had just heard. Finally, she knelt down to Needles and draped a wing over her, holding her close.

"I understand, Needles. You're scared. You always were," she said soothingly. "That's why you ran away from me."

"B-but as soon as I mustered up the courage, I screwed it up," Needles sobbed. "How do I live with myself after that?"

"You can only ask that question once all is lost, child," said Nova. "And I don't believe that to be the case. Not yet."

Needles sniffled and looked up at Nova. "Wait, you ain't mad at me?"

"Now why would I be mad at you?"

"B-because I'm a failure to the Dragon Magi. N-no matter what, I can't follow the same path. I try and I try, but nothin' works. I'm just a huge disappointment."

Nova sighed. "Needles, you don't have to be afraid of me. I am disappointed in you for not living up to your potential, yes. But do I love you any less? Of course not. Besides, you've risked so much trying to come to our rescue. Any Dragon Mage worth their salt would do the same."

Needles blinked. "R-really? You're not just sayin' that?"

"I would not lie to my own daughter."

Needles's lip quivered. "Oh, ma!"

She buried her face into Nova's cheek, sobbing all the while. Nova smiled and petted her child with her wing.

"It's alright, Needles," she cooed. "You don't have to be scared. Everything will turn out fine."

Little Strongheart was distracted from the touching scene by an unfamiliar voice crying. Turning her head, she was astonished to see Pepito bringing a handkerchief to his eyes. After blowing his nose, he straightened up and turned to Little Strongheart.

"Psst, señorita," he whispered, skittering over to the cage.

Little Strongheart looked around before turning to Pepito. "Me?"

"Yes, you," said Pepito, dipping his voice. "You want out of here, yes? I help."

Little Strongheart did a double take. "What? Why?"

"I may be Rock Lobster, but I no made of stone," Pepito proclaimed. "Catching dragons, okay. Hurting dragons, fine. Catching buffalo by mistake, eh. Catching child and separating from mother? No más, señorita. I through with this. Finished. Kaput."

Nova looked over at Pepito. "That's very kind of you, good sir. But what do you propose? You can't just expect to sneak all of us out of here without anyone noticing."

Pepito furrowed his brow. "Mmm. You right. We need, distraction."

Just then, a loud clanging noise echoed all around the prison. Needles stopped crying.

"Wh-what the heck is that?" she asked.

Pepito winced. "That intruder alarm. Someone here." He then smiled and turned to Needles. "I think I know who someone is."

Needles's eyes widened. "N-no, that can't be. They couldn't have made it here this quickly!"

Pepito shrugged his shoulders. "Look, I no know. But if is them, I help."

"How?"

Pepito smiled. "This one of few times where I glad people think I stupid. Watch this."

A second later, he stopped one of the Diamond Dogs responding to the alarm.

"¡Fuego, fuego!" Pepito cried. "¡Hay un fuego en la guarida! ¡Debemos evacuar, pronto!"

The Diamond Dog scratched his head in confusion. "A fire? Señor Pepito, are you su—?"

"Is fire, is fire!" Pepito insisted. "Quick, tell Señora Isabelle!"

The Diamond Dog quickly nodded and ran back the way he came. A few minutes later, Isabelle and Jacques came storming in.

"Pepito, what's going on?!" Isabelle howled. "Everyone's heading for the hills! What's all this about a fire?!"

"Is fire, Señora Isabelle! Is fire!" Pepito cried, flailing his claws. "We must leave!"

Isabelle smacked Pepito with the back of her paw. "You moron! The hideout is fireproof! There's no way we could have a fire!"

"Not true, not true!" said Pepito. "I see smoke from dragons! They use fire to try and escape, so I sound alarm!"

Isabelle looked over at the cage and scowled. "They don't seem to be doing anything, Pepito."

"They faking!"

Isabelle sighed and turned back to Jacques. "I'm terribly sorry about this, Mr. Moschet. It appears Pepito is a bit excitable. Let's just go back to my office and continue negotiations."

"No! We must leave!" yelled Pepito. "Is fire!"

Isabelle spun around and glowered at Pepito. "Is not fire, you stupid lobster! Is only bell!"

"Is fire, is fire, is fire!" Pepito insisted, jumping up and down.

Little Strongheart stared in confusion at Pepito's distraction, but quickly shook herself.

"That's good enough for me," she said. "Needles, let's meet up with our intruders and see who it is. Then we can work together to finish this once and for all."

Needles looked up. "Huh what? Oh, uh, sure. Good idea."

Nova used her claw to cut Needles's bonds with a single slash. Needles then looked up and hugged Nova the best she could.

"I'll be back for ya, ma," she whispered. "And, thanks for not bein' mad."

Nova smiled. "Make me proud, Needles. I know you can."

Needles nodded and climbed onto Little Strongheart's back. Once she was safely onboard, Little Strongheart took off through the bars at full gallop. This did not go unnoticed by Isabelle.

"Hey! The buffalo's getting away!" she screamed. "Pepito, alert the guards!"

"¿Qué?"

"¡Alerte a los protectores, bobalicón!"

"But what about fire?!"

"There is no fi— oh, forget it!"

Isabelle stormed off while Pepito skittered after her. Jacques snorted.

"Peons, the lot of them," he grumbled. "I think it's high time my wife and I put an end to this charade."

He flew off while Nova watched with interest.

"Context truly makes the whole world fickle," she whispered, placing a claw to her chest and smiling. "Isn't that right, Akire?"