• Published 28th Dec 2014
  • 1,790 Views, 64 Comments

Spike's Pet - LiterarySerenity



Spike Tries to Take in a Timberwolf as a Pet

  • ...
4
 64
 1,790

Chapter Three—Involves Animals and Adoptions

The cottage where Fluttershy lived sat across a small bridged brook near the Everfree Forest, upon a hill at the end of a winding dirt walkway. Verdant and fertile, flowers from hollyhocks to star lilies grew in abundance, thriving in the rich soil and under the gentle attentions of the kind pegasus. Yet what Fluttershy enjoyed the most, her true passion, showed itself in the animal life that lived and mingled here. Hummingbirds zipped among the blossoms, rabbits (including jackalopes) cuddled in dens, squirrels chased one another through the treetops, and more often of late rarer creatures from deeper in the woods had begun to show up as well.

For instance, on the particular morning in question, a manticore rested half in and out of the forest shade—growling low at most animals who drew too near, yet purring with pleasure whenever Fluttershy ventured his way with a treat, or to scratch him behind the ears. A cockatrice tottered close by as well, pecking at the feed shattered on the ground but not meeting the eyes of any pony, for good reason.

There were a few pens, such as the small gated enclosure for the hens and their house, and others for animals who—for one reason or another—had either earned themselves a “time out” or needed a degree of separation from the other critters present. Sometimes, injured animals warmed themselves in the sunshine here, although most preferred the cozy cottage when feeling hurt or uneasy. For animals overran Fluttershy’s house with almost the same degree of freedom as they did outside.

The pegasus loved every minute of it, feeling almost as happy as she did when around her closest friends.

And to a young dragon given permission to bring home his own pet, the place became a wondrous haven for unrealized potential.

Though, of course, only the best and most impressive would do for Spike’s pet. Butterflies and bumblebees were all right, yet he needed something to wow every pony at the Equestria Pet Show as well. A creature able to match his intellect and strength, while staying a loyal friend throughout.

So he strolled along the path, envisioning himself the proud owner of many an animal he passed, from an agile ferret to a mighty eagle—until Spike reached and knocked on the cottage door.

***

Fluttershy received Spike in her usual gentle and compassionate way, although a certain unbridled joy flickered in her eyes at learning the dragon was there to adopt a pet—asking after Twilight and remarking that it wonderful he would be able to know the happiness brought by caring for a precious little creature of his very own.

“There are ever so many delightful animals here, who I know would love to become your special friend.” Fluttershy said. She had insisted Spike take a seat on the long green couch, which appeared to displease her white rabbit Angel.

In fact, Angel was giving the dragon quite a nasty look, which Spike—in his anticipation of the pet to come—tried to ignore. They had had something of an understanding, the time he had watched over the animals kept by all his friends. But now the truce between them was apparently over because of a simple couch.

If Fluttershy noticed Angel’s resentment, though, she did a good job of hiding it. Instead, she fluffed out his tail at least four times while continuing to address Spike and motioning to the surrounding creatures with one hoof.

“There are the birds with their beautiful songs, and the squirrels who enjoy playtime, and mice with big hearts. You might even consider a fluffy bunny.” Here Fluttershy scratched Angel behind his ears, causing the rabbit to thump one foot in pleasure—yet this failed to keep him from sticking out a tongue at Spike.


No. Spike decided then and there. He would have to pass on the “fluffy bunny.”


That was when a terrible yowling cut into the peaceful atmosphere, coming from somewhere outside. It tore at the soul and ingrained in Spike a terrible sense of woe, before ebbing into a drawn-out whimper.

“Goodness!” Fluttershy flew out the window, with Spike clambering after her. “Not again.”

“What do you mean?” Spike had just enough of an opportunity to get out before they reached an unbroken wooden pen in the backyard. A stake held the front closed, cutting off a good view of whatever was inside. But it was not too hard for the dragon to hop up and claw his way to the top to discover the animal in such agony.

The yowl, by itself, had been enough to make Spike what to reach out to the creature in need—who sounded so lonely and aggrieved.

But all his senses froze at sighting the source.

A Timberwolf.

This one was perhaps not as large as other Timberwolves Spike and his friends had encountered before (being about half their size), but it was a Timberwolf nonetheless.

And it was crying like a—


“You poor, sweet, innocent pup.” Fluttershy cooed, stroking the Timberwolf along the neck. “It’s all right. Everything is okay.” The pegasus tickled the wooden beast under the chin, calming it down to low sniffling murmurs. The “pup” even licked its caretaker in return with a small, stick-like tongue. “There, there.”

“Fluttershy. Is that really and truly a Timberwolf?” Spike was incredulous.

“Yes. She’s a young one, and I found her all alone and howling on my front porch step last night.” Fluttershy explained. “The tender thing was so hungry and frightened. She even gave Angel a fright.”

Spike could have only imagined Angel squealing and fleeing from the Timberwolf—which, despite it all, gave her extra points in his book (even if Twilight would have scolded him for thoughts like that). But his mind was too occupied to linger on this satisfaction.

Instead, images were filling it of games played alongside a trusty Timberwolf, taking her for long walks, and even—of course—participating in the Equestria Pet Show together.

“She’s perfect.” Spike breathed, more won over by the second. “I’ll take her!”

“Goodness. You mean Roots?” Now Fluttershy looked a little concerned.

“Yeah. Roots.” Only Rarity could have broken Spike out of his delirium at this crucial juncture. “Roots is a good name. We’ll make a great team.”

“Are you absolutely sure? Roots is a bit—” Fluttershy chose her next words carefully. “Wild.”

Wild.

Hadn’t Twilight said something about wild? Spike couldn’t remember, exactly.

Oh, wait.

That was right.

Twilight had at least said Spike shouldn’t bring home a pet that was too big, and Roots was small compared to the average Timberwolf. And surely, Roots’ grievous story and expert training (which the dragon envisioned as taking no time at all) would cause Twilight to be proud of her number one assistant and his awesome decision-making skills.

There was a leash and collar on a small hook near the closed opening, and Spike grabbed them.

“Perhaps you’d want to give this more thought?” Fluttershy asked. “Or maybe ask Twilight first if she believes this is a good idea? I’m only now beginning to understand more about Timberwolves.” She seemed to emphasize “only now” part. “Roots might be too much to handle without more experience or knowledge of her species, especially for a young pet owner.”

“I can’t.” Spike insisted. “Twilight told me herself to have the honor of choosing my own pet. She trusted me to do this without her help, and I’m going to show her I can do just that. Besides, I could always come right back if she doesn’t like dear, little Roots here.” His mention of Roots as “dear” and “little” appeased the pegasus a bit. He could feel her starting to give into his plan. “It’d be like a trial run. What do you say?”

“Well, I—”

“Great.” Spike unlatched the door, eager to claim the Timberwolf. He could tell he was pressuring Fluttershy and hated that feeling, yet the dragon also wanted to show Twilight and all his friends he could take on a duty like a pet. And fate seemed to have thrown Roots into his path. Things happened for a reason, after all.

Roots watched Spike approach, with one of Fluttershy’s hooves patting her head.

The Timberwolf allowed the dragon to slip on the collar without complaint, sniffing his head frills as if fascinated by this peculiar visitor.

Then Spike told Roots with firm determination:

“Okay, Roots. I’m Spike the dragon, your new owner. We’re going to be the best of friends, but first we have to prove to my pal Twilight that you’re the best possible addition to our household. Oh, yeah. And we live in a huge castle, so you’ll have plenty of space to run and play. There’s also going to be a contest.” Spike rambled on, hoping he was making a fair first impression and getting all the facts right away—as Twilight had told him was important when meeting some pony for the first time.

All seemed just fine.

Until Fluttershy removed her hoof.

“So let’s go home, Roots.” Spike declared, and Roots bolted for the opening in the gate. “Whoa!” The dragon cried out in alarm, trying to dig his heels into the ground as the Timberwolf raced across the grass, jumped the brook, and made for Ponyville. “See you, Fluttershy. Thank you.” He called back to Fluttershy as he got dragged out of sight.


Had Spike managed to hang back for even a minute, he would have heard Fluttershy voice a faint:

“Oh, dear.”


But he would also have noticed the dissatisfied ruffling of feathers from a certain owl on watch from a nearby tree.

Author's Note:

Spike just might have a problem here. ^_^