• Published 28th Dec 2014
  • 1,789 Views, 64 Comments

Spike's Pet - LiterarySerenity



Spike Tries to Take in a Timberwolf as a Pet

  • ...
4
 64
 1,789

Epilogue—Contains Even More Resolutions

Following the Equestria Pet Show (and a smaller party thrown by Pinkie Pie for the victors), Twilight carried a nodding Spike and Owlicious home to the palace upon her back—wrapping her broad wings about them for extra protection. A happy tiredness tugged at her limbs and eyelids, yet all she could think of was what her assistants had been that day. It made the climb up the staircase, and the slow trot to the bedroom, a little more bearable. And for the first time in a week, the whole castle was quiet and still.

Looking around at these winding corridors, through which Roots had thundered on several occasions, reminded Twilight (for some strange reason) of a time when Spike had gotten lost not long after his hatching. She had been frantic then, as she had a few times recently, worried for the young dragon’s safety. And for over an hour Twilight had run along such hallways, imagining countless horrible fates for him.

But he had been fine.

In fact, Twilight had found Spike snoozing in a small basket of linens in the laundry room, curled up in one of her blankets. He had slept best in a basket ever since then, even when she tried to move him into a cradle or ordinary bed (unless it was hers).

And it was into his basket that Twilight tucked both Spike and Owlicious this night, pulling the covers about them.

Then she reached out one hoof and gently brushed back Spike’s head frills, sighing at the passage of time, before leaning forward and kissing him upon the forehead.

“Sweet dreams, Number One Assistant,” Twilight whispered.

“And thank you for everything, Junior Assistant.” She added, brushing a hoof along Owlicious’ chin.


The sounds of shuffling paper disturbed her wistful reverie, and Twilight noticed then the soft glow of light from her much smaller study adjoining the room. With great care, she crept to the doorway and peered inside to find Discord, browsing all her notes and books, humming and occasionally lifting his brows as if he had come across something scandalous. A few times, he stifled snickers and chortles, especially when he reached the journal Twilight had begun regarding the Tree of Harmony. And despite everything, the sight of him going through her stuff found a nerve and twanged it.

“Discord, what are you doing?” Twilight asked a bit more harshly than intended. “You could have at least asked me before entering my study. There was no need to sneak inside.”

“Ah, Twilight. Good.” Discord’s head spun at a 180 degree angle atop his neck, even as books and notes levitated and made slow rotations about him. “Nice to know you won’t tremble like a filly every time you see me now and can even chastise a bit as before.”

“’Tremble like a filly’? ‘Before’? What do you mean?” Yet Twilight did understand the moment the words left her mouth. “Oh. It’s because of what happened with the chaotic sphere, and me freaking out as I did.”

“Listen, Twilight. I’m all for ceremony and respect after a certain standard, and nowadays more than you may think.” Discord snapped the white fluff of his tail, sending most of the materials back to their proper places on the shelves. The exception was the journal concerning the Tree of Harmony. “However, I would appreciate it if you didn’t tip-toe around me from now on just because I happen to be your teacher, or this fact affecting our friendship in such a way. It’s taken us long enough to get this far.”

So that was the reason Discord had appeared. A pony could never be sure, but Twilight thought she recognized the slightest hints of worry in her friend and mentor’s expression.

“Understood,” Twilight said. “And sorry about that. It worries me to disappoint any pony, especially my friends. But despite everything, I do wish I could have gotten better at influencing the chaos during practice.”

“You came through when it counted.” Discord was thumbing through the journal again, with his mind apparently eased by Twilight’s comment. “Isn’t that what matters the most?”

“Yes. That’s true, yet why then? The last two times I have been able to manipulate chaos magic on my own have happened at stressful and intense moments when there wasn’t much time to think. Yet then when things were calmer, and I had more time to really concentrate without imminent danger staring me in the face, it seemed harder to do.”

“Perhaps you think too much.”

“Huh?”

“Another lesson for another day,” Discord simply said, closing the journal at last with a gentle thump. “I’m sure you would prefer to take a break for the time being.”

“I guess so. Good night, Discord,” Twilight nodded her head to him.

“Good night, my dear Twilight,” Discord returned, speaking his final words before disappearing in another flash of light. “And sleep well.”

***

Meanwhile, out on the fringes of the Everfree Forest, Fluttershy fed the large Timberwolf pup in the front yard.

“Sleep well, Roots.” Fluttershy gave the wolf a peck on the nose. “Your owner will be sure to come by in the morning.”

Roots yipped in anticipation, looking truly pleased.

And all (indeed) had sweet dreams and slept well that night.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading! ^_^

Comments ( 28 )

if there was a love icon for this i would click it.
how do you fell about Spike shipping story.

5513847 Agreed and seconded.

5513847
5515337 That means a lot! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :moustache:

I enjoyd this a lot:pinkiehappy::yay:
sequel?

5516357 Thanks, again! ;3 And I do have an idea for the next one, after a short break. :twilightsmile:

Very enjoyable

Darn it, the ending ruined it for me. Oh well, one more dislike for the barrel i guess.

5602298 I'm sorry to hear that. There were a few different directions I could have taken this story, and this is the one that felt the best to me at the time. May you have many other great reading experiences, though! ^_^

5604143 It was just so incredibly cliche, no offense meant though. I just didn't like it, which i think is what the dislike button is for. The story itself was pretty solid.

5604154 I appreciate it, and take care.

I'm really torn about this story. It was fun and sweet, both Spike's interactions with Roots, and also his interactions with Owlicious. I really enjoy the idea of Discord creating a guard timber-wolf for Fluttershy as well. But this is another example of, "Spike learns in the end he has to give up what he wants to be more mature." Spike gives up his pet phoenix, never gets his gem cake, has to give up his super-hero comics because they are enchanted, etc. It feels like he is always missing out (happens a lot in Spike-centered fanfics as well).

I really wanted to see Spike either find a way to make it work with Roots, or get a different pet from Fluttershy, or even have Twilight get a new pet so Owlicious can be just Spike's pet. But instead, Spike learns he can't have a pet of his own, and gets the honor of taking care of Twilight's pet/other assistant for her when she doesn't need him. Just once I wanted Spike to avoid having to make the noble sacrifice and outright win one.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the story, both the relaxed slice-of-life tone and the way it builds on Discord's relationship as a teacher for Twilight. Thanks for writing!

5765209 Thank you so much for this comment! Soft Shell also mentioned something very similar, and ever since then I've been thinking about how I could have handled the story a bit differently there. So getting to hear several reactions or critiques on that, in particular, is something I'm always grateful to receive as a writer.

In the same line, I truly am thinking about changing the ending a bit--especially since Spike deserves a happier reward and have actually been preparing to write it for a while (I just got a bit distracted by a few personal matters).

Thanks again! ^_^

5768179 Thanks for listening to my feedback! I felt kind of bad after making that comment, because I realized it's not really a complaint about your story, your story works well and shows some great character growth for Spike.

I was really complaining because I've seen other stories with a similar noble Spike who I felt got the short end of the stick, and even though most of those stories were also well written, the common pattern started bothering me, so when I finished "Spike's Pet" I was more focused on a common theme in stories both on the show and on this site, than any flaws in your story in particular.

5768222 I completely understand! And, really, I should be the one thanking you for the feedback--especially one what could have been stronger in the story or set it apart from others in a similar line. It is encouraging to know that any possible improvements don't have so much to do with overall weaknesses in how the story is being told as ways to make it more original. To be honest, after writing the tale it began to bother me a bit as well (and what you and Soft Shell said only confirmed it). Spike, as a character, really does deserve more.

Besides, it would open up a lot new story possibilities. Hah.

Thanks again, and it means a lot to hear from you! :twilightsmile:

Aww, so now Spike gets to keep Roots as a pet, he just visits him out by Fluttershy's cottage? That makes a lot of sense. Roots gets lot of open space, Fluttershy gets protection, and Spike can go and play/train with Roots (along with Owlicious) whenever he wants, without having to constantly replace all the door knobs in the palace.

5769488 Yeeeup. And Spike will be able to interact with Roots on a regular basis, alongside helping Fluttershy with her research. In truth, it actually does make more sense to have them working together after all this, since I'm hoping to come back to the Timberwolf studies at a later time. Besides, by the next time Roots goes over to the palace, Twilight should be able to use a spell to keep all those doorknobs safe from her. :twilightsmile:

Now this is a much better ending, just a few changes make a world of differences. Spike not only got to learn a lesson, but was rewarded for doing so. To be honest i didn't like how he had to give up roots 'cause of twilights mistake in the original ending. Plus all that spike X roots character development and bonding would have gone to waste otherwise. it's kinda like saying, i like apples, i want an apple, i'm picking an apple, i'm washing an apple, and now i'm eating the orange.

5773453 Very true, and I do want to thank you for bringing that up in the first place. A few changes truly did make a world of difference in the story, and it felt like there were more solid parallels between what Twilight and Spike could each learn about taking on too much responsibility at once (and trying to achieve things at a super rushed pace). It is definitely the right and true ending for the story, if that makes sense. Thanks for all the advice on making it better! :twilightsmile:

5774005 Now do me a favor and have roots cameo in your future stories, a friendly little timberwolf is just to much to keep stuck in one story.

5774198 Hah. Gladly! Believe me, Roots is just too enthusiastic and energetic a character to keep confined to one story. So I definitely have more tales planned with her in mind. :yay:

6272350 Thank you very much, and what is your theory for the origin of Timberwolves? ;3

Definitely a sweet story, and I love that it's a slice of life tale as opposed to a big, epic thing like your last one.

6273073 My theory was that they were created as a security system for the Everfree by the inhabitants of the Deer Kingdom of Thicket, as seen in the IDW comics.

6274263 Ooh. Actually, the thought of the Deer Kingdom having created the Timberwolves for a Everfree Forest security system is impressive. They would have the magic and resources to do just that. Wonderful, although I'm glad you enjoyed the story too. ^_^

6277975 Thanks. I'm hoping to build on that thought with a story of my own eventually. Meanwhile, you're two for two so far on this little continuity, and I look forward to reading the next installment soon. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment