• Published 28th Dec 2014
  • 1,786 Views, 64 Comments

Spike's Pet - LiterarySerenity



Spike Tries to Take in a Timberwolf as a Pet

  • ...
4
 64
 1,786

Chapter Twelve—Deals with a Big Problem

Roots was out of control. From astride Twilight’s back, Spike watched the enormous Timberwolf crash into the main street and either knock over or smash the booths in her path. The vendors and visitors shattered into the side alleys, or into buildings behind locked doors to escape. A few tripped over one another in the rush to get away, although each time some pony would help them up and to safety. That was at least a saving grace amid the tall terror now on a rampage. A week ago, the dragon could never have imagined the weeping wooden pup he had glimpsed at Fluttershy’s cottage would undergo such a monstrous transformation.

Furthermore, Roots continued to twitch about as if pricked all over by briars (or other uncomfortable things), which could only have been the work of the chaotic sphere inside her. It seemed to be driving her mad, and the Timberwolf thrashed to one side and nearly took off a rooftop with her massive tail. In fact, if Twilight hadn’t erected a shield, Roots probably would have succeeded—not that it was intentional. Attack spells caused the beast to back off slightly, and then to lash out at the pony.

Perhaps there was still a possibility of reaching Roots, even in this state.

“Roots, you have to stop!” Spike shouted. “You’re going to hurt some pony.” And at this, the Timberwolf did appear to relent just a little. Then a crackle of greenish energy moved around Roots, and she prepared to charge. The dragon knew her motions at least well enough to understand when she was going to do that, which would bring her along the main street and right towards the palace.

In the heat of the moment, the dragon peered over his shoulder to see Discord, Princess Celestia, and Fluttershy watching the goings-on. It was clear that soon their pegasus friend was gathering her courage, raising up, and preparing to help out if she could. But the chaos spirit was just standing there.

Discord should have known better than any pony how to change Roots back to normal, and he probably could do it with a snap of his fingers. Spike snorted in frustration. Trust that guy to be unreliable at the worst possible time.

Spike thought Discord had truly changed.

How could he refuse to do anything at all? Then again, Discord was probably enjoying all the chaos unfurling in Ponyville.

But wait. That wasn’t satisfaction or joy on the chaos spirit’s face.

It was impartial observation. Spike had seen this once too often from Twilight to know it for anything else, and the seriousness there was something only the dragon seemed to recognize amid all the confusion.

And really, this whole situation had been Spike’s fault.


Twilight was already erecting another shield, this time around Spike and herself, with a feathery missile whacked Roots right between the eyes—stunning her so much the Timberwolf paused in her tracks.

“Who-who!” Owlicious’ cries echoed throughout the street, and the young dragon cheered.

Roots shook her head, caught sight of Owlicious, and snarled in agitation. Then she proceeded to snap at him, with the owl nimbly avoiding the attacks.

“All right, Owlicious.” Spike clamored. “Way to go, buddy!”

Despite himself, Owlicious heard Spike and made let out a happy hoot.

And that was when he got caught.

Roots reared up, jaws reaching out and snapping closed on their target.


Time seemed to slow down, as did the feathers dropping through the air—along with the rubber ball.

Owlicious.

One of Spike’s best friends.

And in that slow horrifying moment, it struck home how much Owlicious meant to him. His fluffy owl companion had stuck by Spike’s side throughout the week, and even long before then had helped him in various ways around both the palace and their old home. He had been so understanding, even when Spike wasn’t.

Tears gathered in his eyes and dripped down, when Spike then allowed dire urgency and heartache to overwhelm all his other senses.

So the dragon made a grand leap from Twilight’s back from high above the town, hurtling towards the giant.

“Drop Owlicious, now!” Spike sucked in a great gulp of air, and felt the burning rush of intense flames before sending them right into Roots’ eyes.

The Timberwolf let out a high-pitched yelp, and out from his mouth came Owlicious, ruffled up but very much all right. And in fact, it said something for the owl that—even after getting snapped up by such a creature—he still had the foresight to not only right himself in the air, but to catch Spike as he started to drop. Still, it became apparent his strength could not bring them safely back to earth.

Twilight was there on that front, swooping forward to catch them both and giving Spike a stare that silently chastised:

“Don’t ever do that again, Mister.”

Yet also added:

“But I’m so glad you did.”


As for Roots, she had barely managed to scratch the irritation out of her eyes when Fluttershy shot up before the Timberwolf and gave her “The Stare.”

“How dare you try to gobble up poor Owlicious, you bad girl!” Fluttershy boomed, which actually caused the Timberwolf to wince where Spike’s reprimand had failed. “You also have no business running around town and causing trouble for all these nice ponies, who just came to have a fun time at the Equestria Pet Show. You should be ashamed of yourself, even if you are under the influence of magic.” The pegasus might as well have been a giant herself, for all the fear that suddenly shone forth on Roots’ face. The Timberwolf trembled on the spot, and her whimpers would echo for miles.

Meanwhile, Spike sat on Twilight’s back, cradling Owlicious.

“I’m so sorry.”

“Who?”

“Yes, you.”

And the pair smiled at each other.

“Twilight.” Fluttershy said then, keeping her stare focused on Roots, who seemed paralyzed under it. “Is there anything you can do?”

***

The question shook Twilight from an adrenaline-induced stupor, which had included keeping Ponyville and her friends safe while fending off the chaotic Timberwolf. But now Fluttershy had asked her so plainly whether or not there was anything she could do to perhaps change Roots back to normal—and Twilight couldn’t give her friend a definitive answer.

What had caused this problem was the chaotic sphere Roots had swallowed, and which Twilight had had trouble influencing since Discord entrusted it to her early in the week. She hardly dared to glance down at her teacher now, after such a blatant display of irresponsibility.

However, she couldn’t think of that now. Instead, the princess had to try anything that might help her friends. And Twilight knew only one shape that had worked for her with any regularity.

“Make something nice.” Discord’s words resounded in her mind.

That meant calling up that rainbow-hued power, which she honestly wasn’t confident in doing.

Still, she had to try, and thoughts of what Spike had done to save Owlicious ran through her mind. They made a great team, and their friendship filled Twilight.

The magic swelled up into her horn, and a certain calmness overtook her. It was such a difference from what Twilight had felt while struggling with the chaos during the week that had any other time this would have made more of an impact on her.

But right then, all Twilight could think of what she needed to do.

She just had to coax the chaos to make it change.

Twilight sent the rainbow magic forth, enveloping Roots and causing the Timberwolf to stiffen and whine—though this time it sounded far more peaceful. The magic appeared to ease whatever aches or pains the wolf was going through at the moment, and Roots started to shrink with a pleasant sound that reminded the princess of rustling leaves in shifting trees.

Like a miracle, Roots became the same size that she had been before, and as Twilight landed the Timberwolf spat up the chaotic sphere.

And all was quiet.

Author's Note:

We're nearing the end. ^_^