• Published 28th Dec 2014
  • 1,789 Views, 64 Comments

Spike's Pet - LiterarySerenity



Spike Tries to Take in a Timberwolf as a Pet

  • ...
4
 64
 1,789

Chapter Ten—Involves Evasive Maneuvers

Spike raced throughout the palace, peering into the many rooms and scanning for any signs Roots might lurk somewhere nearby. There seemed to be no end to places where even a Timberwolf could hide here, and having to search for one made the true vastness of their new home apparent—and a prickle of longing for their smaller and cozier Golden Oak Library went through him. Being raised by Twilight in Canterlot, at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, Spike had known and lived among high-arched labyrinthine hallways that seemed to go on for miles and gotten lost more than a few times.

In fact, the search reminded him of one time (as an infant) when Spike had gotten very lost and scared at that academy, after trying to follow Twilight to one of her magic lessons with Princess Celestia. There had been some filly Twilight had gotten to babysit him for a while, but the dragon had managed to slip away from her.

Through the halls, becoming more turned around at every turn, Spike had looked for the unicorn’s familiar face.

He had wound up in a hard-to-find place, away from the loud sounds of the students laughing and teachers debating—where Twilight had found him after a frantic search of her own.

Where had he gone?

Spike couldn’t remember, although he also had trouble deciding why the memory had sprung upon him like that. Maybe it was because Roots was a pup, and in a large and unfamiliar place as well. And perhaps he shouldn’t have left her after she had gotten out the previous evening, with such minimal protection.

Or, at least, Spike could have told her what he intended them to do the following morning.

Yet another question still bothered him: Why would Roots take Twilight’s assignment, if that was what had happened?

By now, Spike had come to Twilight’s study, and where Nibbles and squirrel had fled from him—to have Owlicious greet him with much hooting and very ruffled feathers.

“Owlicious, did you find Roots?” Spike asked.

“Who-who!” Owlicious nodded his head and made a motion for Spike to follow him onto the balcony. When the dragon did, Owlicious pointed a talon toward the streets. And Spike at last saw Roots, rushing along a street towards the main road near to the palace. Furthermore, he thought he could see something dark in Roots’ mouth.

That had to be the chaos Twilight was trying to find, although it seemed (at least in his imagination) to be growing a bit. And somehow, it was like the magic was trying to tug free from Roots, based on the way the Timberwolf’s head jerked about, although Roots seemed to be struggling to keep a good hold on it.

What was happening?

Well, at least Roots was coming towards the castle again. Twilight would probably catch sight of her as well soon.

Where was Twilight, anyhow?


That was when Spike spotted Twilight seated before the front steps of the palace, with Discord not more than a few hooves away.
If Roots came out with the assignment in her mouth, and Discord saw, Twilight would be crushed. And who knew what would happen with Roots, even though Spike had made up his mind on what he wanted to do on that front.

“We have to get to that sphere first.” Spike said to Owlicious, and the owl agreed. “But how are we going to reach Roots from up here in time?”

“Who-who!” Owlicious flew down, grabbed Spike by the claw, and started flapping his wings hard. And amazingly, the pair to them actually gained altitude.

“Wow.” Spike said, as they glided towards the Timberwolf. “Owlicious, you’re the best!”

And he meant it.

***

Meanwhile, Twilight was having her own problems.

“You even came to greet me. I know it must have been drudgery, waiting for me to return for your next lesson.” Discord continued in the same joking manner, and then lowered his voice as if to deliver a conspiratorial message, though this was not enough to make it harder for nearby ponies to hear. “But you should know that we’re in the presence of some pony who might get just a little jealous at your welcoming embrace.”

“Oh, stop teasing, Discord.” If Discord’s appearance had made dread form in Twilight’s stomach, the sight of Princess Celestia coming to stand beside him brought it to a boil. The pony grew sick from the shock, whereas she would normally have greeted them both in the same warm manner. “You know it fills me with joy to see Twilight continuing her studies, and to hear you are helping to teach her more about your magic.” The white alicorn princess winked at her past student, which made Twilight feel the slightest bit better regardless of the circumstances.

“Yes, yes.” Discord answered, shaking his head as if in exasperation. “Really, Princess Celestia. You could at least play along and act indignant for a minute. It’s boring when you pretend to be perfect.”

“’Pretend?’” Twilight asked, on impulse.

“I found some pony loading up on as many goodies as her saddlebags would carry.” Discord indicated the bulging bags on Celestia’s back, alongside a few boxes placed atop her back. The princess carried yet more with her magic. “She was also preparing to enter a ‘cake eating contest’. Each pastry had the shape of a rabbit. You should have seen the gluttonous way she looked at them. I had to take action.”

“By animating and making them flee?” Celestia said. “While I must admit it was a little comical, I don’t think the vendor in charge or other hopeful participants appreciated having to chase down the stock.” Despite this, something in the memory widened the princess’s smile.

“I thought it would make the contest far more interesting, and those ponies could use the exercise.” Discord protested, before adding (like it was an afterthought). “Besides, they caught most of the cakes in the end.”

As if on cue, Twilight caught sight of two white rabbits—with gumdrop eyes and licorice whiskers—hopping between the stalls along the street a ways behind Discord and Celestia, watched by curious passersby and followed by numerous fillies, several pets (who must have pulled away from their owners based on the flagging leashes), and one particularly eager stallion with his tongue hanging out.

“Luna asked me to pick up a few sweets for her.” Celestia brought out a scroll, which judging from the thickness held a ponderous list. “So most of these are for my sister, as well as gifts for other ponies in Canterlot.”

Upon sighting the list, Discord appeared to consider making another remark on the subject, yet bit his tongue at a firmer glance from Celestia.

“And how are you doing this morning, Twilight?” The fondness in Celestia’s regard eased some of Twilight’s worries. She even smiled in return. After all, she had not seen Roots outside or any signs of a disturbance yet. Perhaps the Timberwolf was still somewhere in the palace, and maybe Spike and Owlicious had found her without more fuss. “Perhaps you would like to share a little of what you have learned of chaos magic so far?”

A reiteration of her lesson. That wouldn’t be so hard. Then, out of the corner of her eye, she saw Owlicious glide down into the street along the way, with Spike holding onto his talon.

Huh?

“I have learned chaos magic is all about change.” Twilight began, watching as Spike and Owlicious landed on the street. “It never wants to stop, but to keep moving and flowing.” Her number one assistant and junior assistant rushed towards the adjoining road. Several ponies were jumping out of the way, and many along with their pets. Twilight had a terrible feeling Roots wasn’t still in the palace. “You can influence chaos, but that isn’t easy, because it has a certain individual will and resists attempts to force it to change.”

Spike and Owlicious were now at the bend in the road, and around that corner came none other than Roots, which was bad enough. But Twilight could see that the Timberwolf really did have the chaotic sphere, and it was pulsing and flowing as it had the other evening. And if she wasn’t mistaken, the chaos was growing, slowly.

The dragon tried to push Roots back out of view, while the nearby ponies watched, dogs barked, and other animals let out a cacophony of sounds. Still, considering the amount of animals here, maybe their cries did not sound too out of place. For Celestia didn’t seem to notice, and even Discord simply continued to consider her with one brow raised, as if to say:

“So, what should you do with chaos that resists forceful attempts to change it?”

Spike signaled towards a tree, where Owlicious retrieved another rubber ball, and waved it to attract Roots’ attention.

“You have to coax it to change.” Twilight said, while Owlicious continued to weave back and forth. The Timberwolf appeared torn between the chaos held in her mouth, and the rubber prize tempting her overhead. Eventually, she started to turn, with Spike shoving her hard from the side and Owlicious still dancing about in the air.

It was working, but Twilight knew Spike and Owlicious would need her help soon. She needed some way to get away. Some distraction.

“You have to gradually cause the chaos to develop into something different, because otherwise it rebels?” Twilight hadn’t meant for the last part to come out like a question, but her attention remained so riveted on what was happening behind her former and current teacher she couldn’t help it.

Still, they both seemed satisfied.

“That is wonderful to hear.” Celestia said. “It seems you have learned a lot already, Twilight—and you are turning out to be a good mentor, Discord.”

“Was there ever any doubt?” Discord asked. Then, when Celestia failed to respond right away. “Princess Celestia, you did not (by any chance) come to the Equestria Pet Show to settle any worries on the manner?”

This time, Twilight couldn’t tell me the draconequus was acting offended or genuinely so.

“I am here to help judge the main competition.” Celestia stated, carefully. “And to pick up the sweets for my sister as I have said.”

A judge. Celestia had also come to be a judge. Of course! How could Twilight have forgotten that detail? There were going to be two judges at that competition (with Fluttershy having turned down the offer to become the third because Angel wanted to perform; and they had somehow wound up not asking any pony else in the meantime).

“But I was also curious to see how you were getting along, and to see what Twilight had learned so far.” Celestia persisted. She came over and gave Twilight a small nuzzle, which felt so pleasant and warm. “It makes me happy to watch you progress beyond what I can teach you.” Yet there was a flicker of sadness in that gentle expression that took Twilight aback. Even Discord seemed to catch it and grew thoughtful.

Then Twilight noticed Fluttershy trotting down the road. The pegasus had clearly had caught of Twilight, Discord, and Princess Celestia in front of the palace and had picked up her pace. But she paused upon passing the adjoining street, where she probably saw Spike and Owlicious struggling with Roots.

Fluttershy looked towards Twilight, pointing with her hoof as if to alert her to what was happening around the bend and out of sight. But Twilight knew. What she wanted was for Fluttershy to come over to them, and the princess made what she hoped was a fugitive hoof motion for her friend to approach.

Thankfully, Fluttershy must have understood what was going on, and what Twilight wanted. For she came flying their way.

And it was then that Discord happened to glance over his shoulder, noticed Fluttershy, and turned about with arms wide open (sending most of the prizes, hat, and even T-shirt from the fair flying in all directions) to embrace her.

“My dear Fluttershy.” Discord’s wings fluttered, and his eyes sparkled. “How lovely to see you. I was just about to go looking for you.” One of the prizes from the fair (a stuffed Timberwolf toy) appeared before her, and Fluttershy took it with pleasure.

“Thank you, Discord.” Fluttershy said. “Actually, I have been doing a lot of research over the past week regarding Timberwolves.”

“Have you now?” The draconequus returned, his attention focused completely on Fluttershy. “Interesting. Do tell.”

“I would like to hear as well.” Celestia commented.


And while Fluttershy started to describe her expeditions into the Everfree Forest, Twilight managed to slip away, hoping that she could return with the chaotic sphere in hoof (and Spike with Roots under control) before any pony even missed her.

That was simple enough, right?

Author's Note:

Here we go!