• Published 28th Dec 2014
  • 1,789 Views, 64 Comments

Spike's Pet - LiterarySerenity



Spike Tries to Take in a Timberwolf as a Pet

  • ...
4
 64
 1,789

Chapter Four—Brings a Timberwolf Home

Despite the burst of confidence Spike had experienced on choosing Roots—and his bravado even when the Timberwolf yanked him away from the cottage—it was hard to keep an optimistic outlook while the trial pet dragged the dragon into Ponyville. Shouting and pleading did little to curb the wooden beast, although he continued digging in his heels and called out assurances to surprised onlookers (many of whom fled into the nearest building). If they made too much of a ruckus, Twilight might come out and make Spike bring Roots back to Fluttershy’s without giving her a chance.

“So please, stop now!” Spike grunted. “Bad girl.” He clawed at the ground as Roots continued on her way, gazing around the mostly deserted street as if she were a tourist who had just arrived in town. “No. Roots. Listen to me.” Perspiration was stinging his eyes. “Come on. Please?”

They were coming up on a tree near the outskirts of the marketplace.

That seemed to divert Roots’ attention at last. She dashed over, sniffed the tree, and nuzzled it a bit with her snout.

Spike used the opportunity to tie the leash tightly around the trunk, before sliding down to the ground and wiping a layer of sweat off his brow.

“Whew. I’m glad that’s taken care of.” Not that it really was, since now the dragon had to somehow get Roots under enough control to make it back to the palace without looking completely foolish in front of the other ponies and (worst of all) Twilight. “But just how am I supposed to bring Roots home like this? Argh.”

“Who.” A feather landed on Spike’s head, and the dragon looked up to find Owlicious staring down at him from a branch with wings crossed.

“Yes, it’s me.” Spike said. “Why are you looking at me that way? This is Roots, my new pet. Isn’t she great?”
Owlicious raised an eyebrow in doubt.

“Well.” The dragon reached his feet, patting Roots on the shoulder (the Timberwolf was back to sniffing the base of the tree again, her tail wagging). “Okay. I agree Roots may be a little rough around the edges, but every pony has to start somewhere, right? She deserves a fair chance. With my expert training, Twilight is sure to agree she’s the perfect pet for me. But I could use a bit of help getting her to listen to me first.”

Indeed, Roots appeared content right there at the tree and was paying no heed to Spike at all—except to inadvertently trip him with the leash on circling the trunk. The dragon landed on his back.

Spike sighed.

Owlicious watched him a few seconds longer, and then flew to a small opening in the tree, digging one of his talons inside and bringing out a rubber ball.

“Who—whoo.” Owlicious held the ball overhead, and Spike sat up to regard it.

“Huh. It’s one of the rubber balls Pinkie Pie keeps stashed around town, for some reason.” In truth, Spike had stopped trying to understand the pink party pony’s reasoning behind her actions around the point she had first told them that.

Yet the reason Owlicious had it now was clear as Celestia’s day.

“Hey. That’s a great idea, Owlicious. Maybe Roots might like a game of fetch.” Spike smiled, and Owlicious hooted in response, dropping the ball into the dragon’s outstretched claw.


“Oh, Roots.” Spike said, waving the ball aloft. “Look at what your ol’ buddy Spike has for you.”

This announcement worked like magic. Suddenly, Roots’ focus shifted from the tree to the ball—and most importantly, to the dragon holding the ball.

The Timberwolf’s tongue lagged out, and she sat down.


“Good girl, Roots.” Relief washed over Spike. “That’s right. If you listen to me, you’ll get a nice ball to play with. Understand?”

Roots yipped in answer.

“Now we’re going to walk back to the palace. Your new home, and where you’ll find more of these.” The dragon edged to the leash and untied it, trying to avoid making any sudden movements in case he broke the spell holding the Timberwolf in check. “Okay, then.”

The leash loosened, and Roots bounced at Spike with another glad yap. And the Timberwolf might have gotten the ball had Owlicious not swooped in at the last moment and carried it up. In retaliation, Roots leapt up after the owl, but Owlicious was too swift to get caught—managing to stay just high enough where Roots could not reach him.

Whew. That was a close one.

Spike motioned to Owlicious with a claw, to begin heading towards the palace, and the owl glided slowly on ahead. Meanwhile, Roots followed at about the same, manageable pace, and Spike held onto the leash without further incident for the rest of the trip back home.
That is, until they reached the front doors.

***

Later on, Twilight could never say exactly what awoke her at that moment. But the princess felt much better for the nap, and everything was calm and pleasant. Even the chaotic sphere appeared at peace upon its cushion.

Then she heard the castle doors creaking open downstairs, which echoed through the spacious halls. And she remembered the errand Spike had gone on to adopt his own pet. Her number one assistant must have been all in his glory then.

So it was in the best of moods that Twilight fixed the sheets on the bed and headed out to see what Spike had brought home.

“Welcome home.” Twilight called, moving at an easy gait down the front steps. Spike was in the lobby, having pulled open one of the doors with much effort—though he paused on hearing the princess.

“Oh. Hey, Twilight.”

Why did he look so nervous, and perhaps just a bit scared? Twilight had imagined Spike to greet her with as much excitement as when he had left, or even more if he was proud of his pet.

At that moment, though, the door burst open all the way, smacking the dragon across the room. And what Twilight saw was no less than a Timberwolf burst into the palace, chasing Owlicious—who gripped a rubber ball in his talons but was now flapping wildly away from the yipping beast.


Yet then the ball slipped from Owlicious’ hold, bouncing across the floor, and Spike picked it up.

The Timberwolf turned and charged the small dragon.


But Twilight didn’t let this intruder get any farther. Using her magic, she grabbed the Timberwolf by the head and yanked it hard sideways—causing the wooden wolf to collapse in a stunned heap on the floor.

Then she teleported in front of Spike, wings spread to shield him behind her, preparing to send this Timberwolf packing with a well-aimed spell or two.

“Don’t worry, Spike. I’ve got this under control.” The princess assured him.

“Twilight, wait.” Spike tugged on Twilight’s wings, before she could proceed. The dragon sounded desperate. “You don’t understand. This is my new pet!”

“Your pet?” The magic died down in Twilight’s horn, and now she discerned the collar around the Timberwolf’s neck, and the leash lagging on the floor.

The Timberwolf got into a sitting position, whimpering a bit now.


And, as if things hadn’t gotten crazy enough already, Fluttershy came shooting inside afterwards and went right to the Timberwolf.

“Goodness! Are you okay?” Fluttershy said.

“I think Roots is fine.” Spike approached the pegasus and Timberwolf. “She was just trying to get the ball and kind of surprised Twilight.”

“Surpised? It looked like you were in dang—” Twilight began to retort, before pausing and taking a deep, cleansing breath. “Spike, I thought we agreed you wouldn’t get something too wild or large.”

“Please, Twilight.” Spike said. “Roots is a puppy. She can’t help being energetic, and I just haven’t trained her yet.” The dragon’s eyes were glossy with his pleadings. “Roots was all alone in the world. She needed me. Besides, you’ve told me not to judge others based on their appearances, and to give every pony a fair chance—because you never know where you’ll find a good friend.”

“Hmm. Excuse me?” Fluttershy interjected. She had begun to scratch Roots behind the ears, which placated the Timberwolf and caused her to stretch out upon the floor beside the pegasus instead. “It’s my fault. Spike accidentally left in a rush before I could talk to him more about Timberwolves, and Roots, in particular.”

“’Accidentally’?” Twilight asked.

“I did get a bit excited.” Spike pulled at his tail, embarrassed.

“Timberwolves are wild animals and can be dangerous—traveling in packs through the Everfree Forest.” Fluttershy persisted. “They form out of branches and sticks, from the magic in those woods. Actually, I had only ever heard and read of them as appearing in adult size because of that, and nothing about raising pups. So when Roots turned up on my doorstep, it surprised me. Timberwolves are smart and sociable creatures, though, and with the right training Roots might become easier to handle.”

“See?” Spike said, nodding his head in satisfaction.

“However, because of her age, and how Timberwolves travel in packs, it is possible Roots got separated from her family. They might even be looking for her.” Fluttershy explained. “I had planned to begin searching for them today, until Spike’s visit.”

“So I might not get to keep Roots after all?” Spike sounded heart-broken. He held out the rubber ball, and Roots took it in her mouth, clearly glad to have their prize at last. It squeaked between her teeth, and the Timberwolf’s tail thumped the ground.

Watching this, Twilight almost thought Roots more resembled a large dog. And like Fluttershy, who was an expert on animal care, the princess had never heard of Timberwolves coming as pups. The chaotic magic flowing throughout the forest brought those wooden creatures together, and caused them to reassemble when blown apart. Somehow, raising infants or pups didn’t seem natural for animals like that.

Still, Twilight’s heart was melting at the sight of Spike petting Roots on the head. The thought of the Timberwolf’s pack still being somewhere in the Everfree Forest must have reminded him a lot of what had happened with Pee Wee.

Maybe…

“I had also planned on asking Discord during the pet show for his advice, if I couldn’t find them.” Fluttershy said then.

“Discord is going to come to the pet show next week?” This distracted Twilight from the matter at hoof.

“Yes.” Fluttershy said. “I invited him to come see all the animals, and to watch sweet Angel Bunny perform.”

Ah. That was probably what Discord had meant by a “few days.” Hopefully, it would give Twilight enough time to practice with the chaos the draconequus had left, and to make something that might impress him.

She could already feel the time crunch.

But no.

Twilight had to focus on Spike for the moment, who was scratching Roots behind the ear as Fluttershy had done and getting nuzzled with a
snout in return.

“Hey, Fluttershy?” Twilight said, loud enough for the dragon to hear. “Do you think it would be all right if Spike took care of Roots while you look for her pack? Perhaps he could even help in the search. And I’m sure he would enjoy learning more about pet training and care.”

Hope was shining in Spike’s expression. Fluttershy saw this and obviously caught the implications in what Twilight said.

“I would be happy for the help.” Fluttershy said, giving a head nod to Spike. “And it would be a pleasure to teach Spike what I can about caring for animals.”

“You’re the best!” Spike said, hugging Twilight and Fluttershy in turns—before wrapping his arms around Roots’ neck. “You’ll see. Roots and I will make a big impact at the Equestria Pet Show. Right, Roots?”

As if in response, Timberwolf continued to squeak the rubber small, enveloped in that simple joy.

Author's Note:

Compromises are good.