• Published 28th Dec 2014
  • 1,789 Views, 64 Comments

Spike's Pet - LiterarySerenity



Spike Tries to Take in a Timberwolf as a Pet

  • ...
4
 64
 1,789

Chapter One—Introduces Changes and a Squirrel

Another pleasant morning had arrived in Equestria, and Twilight Sparkle sat in the largest of her personal studies. This room included a windowed door that led onto the palace balcony, where it was possible to glimpse the whole of Ponyville. The alicorn had opened one of the double doors, letting in cool breezes and the lively sounds from outside, which were a comfort so early in the day. Such things did a lot to soothe the mind, and kept her from tensing up too much.

Twilight needed all the help she could get, especially when handling chaos.

Dark purple in hue, with orange lines crisscrossing over lighter lavender blobs, the square hung suspended a few feet above the floor. Green streaks crackled around it on occasion, similar to electricity in appearance, though still part of the same magic.

It was also her first official assignment from Discord.

Once upon a time, Twilight could never have imagined receiving magic lessons from the draconequus who had sought to immerse the entire land in endless chaos. Even after Fluttershy had “reformed” him, his over-the-top antics and mischievous tendencies had meant the princess usually strove to keep a wide berth between them. So long as the spirit stayed out of trouble, life went on as normal.

But many changes had taken place in recent weeks, including what had become known as the “Tirek incident”—not to mention the release of Rainbow Power, and the emergence of Twilight’s palace (which had a subtle resemblance to the Tree of Harmony, or TOH). Furthermore, there had been the unexpected discovery made by Twilight with Discord of the second star near the Tree of Harmony, and how chaos figured into the magical balance that existed in Equestria.

It was a long story.

As a result of these experiences, alongside various other crazy events, Twilight had asked Discord to teach her everything he could regarding chaos magic. And her new instructor had come holding the square soon after the excitement from their most recent adventure had faded.

Discord had explained it was pure chaos and first encouraged Twilight to move around the object using her magic, which proved easy enough to do. Stopping the movement after she had gotten it started was a chore, but doable. In fact, she had begun to feel pretty good about the exercise until the spirit asked her to shape the square.

That was easier said than done.

***

“Chaos magic is all about change, my dear Twilight.” Discord reminded her, sounding every bit a proctor at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. Although, the princess was sure most of them avoided wearing ties that lit up and spun in sunlight or oversized spectacles that magnified their pupils (even in the case of a pony with red irises of different sizes). “It wants to keep flowing and moving, but has the strength of individual will to resist being forced into something else by external forces—like unicorns using day-to-day magic, for instance. This is why it is no easy feat for ponies to alter their world on such a level. The best solution is to gradually mold the sphere into the intended form, coaxing the magic to change.”

Twilight could only smile at this, since Discord might as well have been talking about himself. As the living embodiment of chaos, what he was seemed to oppose all sense of order. But still, the draconequus was vital to the magic found throughout their world, and part of Harmony nonetheless.

Discord paused in his lecture then, and Twilight realized he was waiting for her to go ahead and manipulate the target square.

“All right. Here I go.” Twilight said, more to boost her own confidence than anything else. She just had to order the chaos, as she once had to do to open a door sealed by the latter. A great energy, similar to the kind bestowed by the Tree of Harmony, had arisen from deep inside while thinking of her friends to allow her to get inside the guestroom beyond. And now the princess reached for the same power.

Yet this time, it was more of a struggle. It had felt so natural before, and the urgency to save her friends had driven Twilight towards this solution. She was straining to bring the magic up now, as she did when attempting to carry out any particularly high-level spell.

Sweat poured down her brow. The rainbow-hued magic started to come up, almost reluctantly, into her horn.

Twilight grunted as if bearing up a heavy load. It felt like her head and horn were about the burst from the exertion.


“Stop.” The command from Discord pierced what was left of Twilight’s concentration, and she flopped—panting—into a seated position. Meanwhile, the draconequus was studying her, one brow raised. “And what exactly are you doing, ‘Miss Sparkle’?” The way he said this suggested more of a joking air, yet there was a certain calm seriousness in his look that Twilight recognized from past teachers. The fact it came from Discord made the situation somewhat more surreal, though, and she almost felt like a little filly again.

“I was trying to conjure the magic that worked on the door sealed by chaos.” Twilight explained, striving to remember the present circumstances and keep her composure. “Even though it was different from my usual magic, I was able to use it without a problem. But this time I can’t seem to call it as readily.”

“I told you not to be forceful.”

“But you were talking about chaos.” Twilight said. “I understood what you meant, with flow and balance, and the need to coax it. Still, I can’t get to this part unless I’m able to access the magic that can affect the chaos.”

“It’s hardly different.” Discord replied. “Right now, you’re trying to practically drag the aforementioned magic to the surface. Believe me. I can tell. This means nothing will happen unless you let it flow out.”

“Flow out? That’s what I’m trying to do.” Twilight returned. “I’m casting the magic like I usually do.”

“Ah-hah!” Here Discord tapped the tip of the princess’s horn, sending a slight tingle down its length. “See? There is your problem. You’re thinking too hard and treating it like other magic. Just do what came naturally when unlocking the door.”

Twilight considered protesting farther yet bit her tongue instead. She needed to trust Discord here. He must have understood something she was still missing. So the princess closed her eyes and tried to recall the exact process she had used to affect the tendrils of chaos fixed to the door. There had been the urgency, it was true. However, Twilight could also remember thinking fondly of her friends, the connections between them, and the strong desire she had felt to reunite them. Then the magic had risen, unbidden, from within.

It was a warm energy, like all the precious times spent with her closest friends. Calm yet blissful, Twilight revisited a few of those memories now despite everything.

“There.” Twilight heard Discord say at last, opening her eyes to find the iridescent magic encircling her horn. She could not help staring in wonder at it, or the wide smile that followed. “Now try again, and change the square into something nice.”

Twilight allowed the energy to flow out from her horn and surround the square, although she started to feel weary as she did when holding onto more powerful magic. She would have to work quickly. So the princess tried something simple.

“A sphere.” Discord murmured, when Twilight finished. The altered chaos showed the same design as it had while a square, though at least the shape was different. “Well, it’s a start, I suppose.” He scrutinized the results with an undiscernible expression.

Sensing possible disappointment, Twilight quickly persisted:

“Right. This was just my first attempt. I managed to call on the right magic successfully and was able to change it a bit.” Somehow, the thought of not doing better during their first actual lesson bothered the pony. Discord had probably expected something grander than a simple sphere. The spirit was acting as her teacher right now, and Twilight had always prided herself on being a good student. She would go to great lengths to stay on top of her studies, and not to let such ponies down. “Let me do something else.”

“Nope. That’s enough for now.” Discord said firmly. Then he threw off his spectacles and tie, as if just released from heavy chains, with a happy sigh. He stretched out, causing all manner of noises to echo about the room, from regular bone crackles to cannon fire. A back scratcher appeared and began work on his back, causing the chaos spirit to quiver and turn various colors. Afterwards, he grabbed the chaotic sphere, much to Twilight’s dismay. “I really need to get going, with a long list of appointments to keep across Equestria. Some of them have been waiting for a week or so.” A scroll appeared in the air and unrolled, filling the floor with weaving ribbons of paper. “You know me. Places to go, ponies to see. Chaos to reap. But I’ll return in a few days, and then we can get on with the next lesson.”

Hearing this announcement a month ago would have brought out an accusation from Twilight, and it was a measure of how things had changed that she didn’t comment on this point.

Instead, Twilight’s attention was on the sphere of chaos. She had finally managed to start affecting it, and already Discord would leave and take away the chance for her to prove she could create something more impressive than a simple sphere.

“Wait!” Twilight interjected, with greater force than intended, before Discord could disappear in his usual flash of light.

“No need to use the ‘Royal Canterlot Voice’.” The draconequus said, though obviously amused. “I’m still here.”

“Please. We were just starting to make progress.” Twilight hesitated a moment. “Would you mind leaving that chaos magic here, so I can practice more while you’re gone?” She indicated the floating object.

“Hmm.” Discord said. He considered the chaotic sphere, and then looked at Twilight. A mischievous grin spread across his features. “Chaos magic in this pure form is a big responsibility.”

He was joking, but it still provoked Twilight—the idea that somehow the princess had not proven herself ready for such a weighty task.

“I can handle it.” Twilight declared. “And by the time you return, I’ll be able to show you more than a sphere of chaos magic.”

“Very well. I like encouraging an enthusiasm for chaos.” Discord agreed, after an exaggerated pause. He replaced the sphere from where he had plucked it. “So until next time, princess.” He mock saluted her, and disappeared in a grandiose flash, which was much brighter than usual.

***

So Twilight had continued to work on shifting the sphere’s form. Yet it was clear, from repeated attempts, that conjuring up the magic to order the chaos was much harder to do subsequently—at least for the time being. It was too demanding. A migraine threatened to break out, and she had developed a kink in the neck.

“Oh, well.” The princess said to herself. “All I need to do is take a short break, and soon I can try again.” She nodded her head, satisfied at a decision well-made. She grabbed the sphere in her magic, preparing to leave for her bedroom.


That’s when Twilight heard the chattering, a split second before the door to the study flung open.

“Come back, Nibbles!” She heard her number one assistant, a baby dragon named Spike, cry out.

However, what she saw was a soapy brown squirrel come flying right at her face. In fact, the squirrel (“Nibbles,” apparently) not only flew at her face, but attached himself to it, startling Twilight so much she lost her grip on the chaotic sphere—which received enough propulsion to start bouncing around the chamber.

Twilight was able to yank off the wet squirrel and grab ahold of the sphere right as it was about to sail out the windowed door.

Still, this did not stop Nibbles for making a break for it out the opening.

“Don’t go!” Spike begged, reaching for the fleeing animal—only to slip on the soapy water left in his wake and slide to a foot or so before Twilight. “Hi Twilight.” He chuckled, sheepishly. “What’s up?”

Author's Note:

This was another idea that occurred to me recently and wanted to see how it might develop. Although the first chapter focuses a lot on Twilight's first lesson with Discord, a great deal of the story will revolve around Spike's quest for a pet (although the magic lesson will continue to be important throughout the tale).

I hope you enjoy it. ^_^