• Published 28th Dec 2014
  • 1,789 Views, 64 Comments

Spike's Pet - LiterarySerenity



Spike Tries to Take in a Timberwolf as a Pet

  • ...
4
 64
 1,789

Chapter Eleven—Features Growing Problems

Something odd was definitely happening with the strange chaos magic in Roots’ mouth. Spike was sure of it now. In truth, he had only paid enough attention to Twilight’s assignment to know that throughout most of the week, it had resembled a glassy orb of sorts. For a dragon who loved to snack on gems, this might have made the object tempting—except that a certain instinctual unease seemed to fill him at the thought. He could not have explained it.

In any case, now Spike just wanted Roots to let go of the thing, which was continuing to jerk about in the Timberwolf’s mouth and losing its form.

“Roots. Drop it.” The dragon said, trying to mimic Fluttershy’s firm tone when addressing misbehaving creatures. However, the moment Spike reached out for it, Roots would avoid him and move away. “This is no time to play keep away. I said ‘drop it’! Don’t you want Owlicious’ rubber ball instead?” He indicated the toy the owl continued to hold, hooting as he squeezed it. And Roots watched Owlicious, giving off several low whine, but she still refused to surrender the chaos.

In fact, now Roots was beginning to back away, though not in the playful manner Spike had known her to use during their games. It was like the Timberwolf genuinely wanting to keep a wide berth between them.

Twilight arrived then, swooping down beside him.

“Twilight. I’m trying, but Roots won’t give up the chaos.” Spike explained.

“Don’t worry, Spike.” Twilight, despite her disheveled mane and a slightly crazed look, sounded quite calm in her reply. The dragon knew she could get even more worked up about things than he did, and had proof of it, yet she had a way of making Spike believe everything would be all right at moments like this. “All right, Roots. Let go.”

There was such command in her tone, Spike was sure this would work at last. And Roots did tremble a bit at the firmness and manner in which the princess delivered this message, yet even then the Timberwolf refused to do anything. Instead, she cringed a little and continued to back off.

Twilight grabbed hold on the chaos with her magic and pulled, while Roots resisted and yanked back as well. Each side grunted with the effort, and in a gesture Spike knew was more supportive than helpful, he grabbed hold of Twilight and tried to pull as well. Meanwhile, Owlicious flew down and tried to tickle the Timberwolf’s nose with his feathers.

Roots’ snout twitched, and for a few seconds it seemed she would sneeze or let go.

But then the Timberwolf reared up and swatted at the owl with her forelegs, forcing the owl to take evasive maneuvers.

Twilight took this chance to give a particularly strong tug, which looked for all as if it might free the chaotic sphere.

At least, until Roots made a celestial effort in scooting backwards, and then leapt skywards, with her snout held up high. The move surprised Twilight so much she actually lost her magical grip. Yet even more shocking was when they watched the chaos disappear down Roots’ throat (although this appeared to shock the Timberwolf just as much).

Now it was Spike, Twilight, and Owlicious’ turn to step back as Roots came crashing down. At first, it seemed the Timberwolf was fine, although smacking her lips and shaking her head as if she had just tasted something awful.

“Roots?” Spike took a step forward, but Twilight held a hoof in his way. And soon the dragon saw and heard why.

Roots shuddered, producing a sound much like burning kindling. Disjointed snarls and growls came from her mouth, and the wood of her body started to stretch with loud creaks, turning darker and crackling with chaos energy.

The few ponies who had watched the spectacle from a safe distance turned to flee, while Spike remained rooted—watching the Timberwolf pup grow up so fast it was quite scary.

“Who-who.” Owlicious said.

“You got that right.” Spike muttered.

***

Lost in relating her expeditions of discovery into the Evefree Forest over the past week, Fluttershy could almost forget the worrisome sight she had passed on her way to the palace. The pegasus had faith Twilight would manage to retrieve the magic object she had borrowed from Discord soon, and that Spike and Owlicious would appear with Roots (playful as ever) coming down the street. In the meantime, sharing what she had learned so far about Timberwolves made for a pleasant discussion with Discord and Princess Celestia—especially when Fluttershy mentioned how the Timberwolf pack had protected Angel and her from quicksand.

“Yes. Most of the time, Timberwolves just chase ponies away those spots. But you were the exception, of course, sweet Fluttershy.” Discord said. “They make wonderful guardians and protectors, and they take these positions almost too seriously.”

“It is wonderful you are taking the time to compile notes on their habits and lives.” Princess Celestia interjected. “After you are done, please send me a copy of your work. I will place it in the Canterlot Library for other researchers and ponies to access. It will be an important contribution.”

“Finally, there will be a Timberwolves reference book on those shelves from some pony with good sense.” Discord remarked, making Fluttershy blush.

“Please, Discord.” Princess Celestia chided. “Many great naturalists and other researchers have made great strides in knowledge, and contributed wonderful discoveries to the Canterlot Library over the last several years. You should not put down their efforts.”

“Now I know where Twilight got it.” The draconequus muttered. Yet when Princess Celestia started to reply, he cut her off by saying: “Speaking of Timberwolves, however. I supposed you have a special reason for studying them in such depth over the past week?” He had turned back to Fluttershy, tugging at his beard and grinning in a sly manner.

“Oh, yes. I almost forgot.” Fluttershy said, wings beating a little faster in excitement. “At the beginning of this week, I found the sweetest little—”

A boisterous howl drowned out the rest of what Fluttershy wanted to say. In fact, the poor pegasus wasn’t quite sure whether or not the last few words ever appeared upon sighting the large Timberwolf stomping onto the main street, tall as the clock tower and looking very dangerous indeed.

Twilight came flying into view with Spike riding on her back, and Owlicious trailing after them.

Princess Celestia’s eyes widened.

Discord, meanwhile, regarded the scene with a hard-to-read expression. When Twilight happened to look their way, however, the chaos spirit crossed his arms and knitted his brows together—which probably didn’t make their friend feel any better about the current situation.

“Oh, dear.” Fluttershy said.

Author's Note:

Growth spurts.