• Published 22nd Dec 2014
  • 1,797 Views, 34 Comments

Harmony Effect - DW_Beast



Awoken nearly 51 thousand years in the future the mane 6 are brought into a galaxy that needs their help.

  • ...
11
 34
 1,797

Chapter 9

Asari Matriarch vs Alicorn Princess

The Normandy and her crew had finally after two days of travel reached Noveria were one of Shepard's leads was. After coming into landing the available team members were told to meet in the conference room in the back of the CIC. The six mares remained standing as there were not enough seats for them yet something they were told would only be a temporary inconvenience.

"Okay team Noveria briefing, counsel had received reports that here were some possible leads to either what Saren is after or how to get to him. Information is limited as of yet so I am going to take a small team down now to gather info on what is going on and once all that is settled I will decide on who to take on the actual mission. There could be a chance that time window is limited so I want everyone prepped and ready in case you are needed, that includes you six." Shepard spoke to the group in his command voice making it apparent that he would not have anyone questioning his decision. "For the scouting mission I will be taking Tali for her technical and hacking skills, never know when that will be needed and Ashley in case things go south. You are all dismissed to get ready."

The six of them headed back down to the cargo bay were they would gather the weapons that they sound best suited them. Twilight was just a pistol as she found using most attack spells were better focusing through her hands as she didn't have to lower her head to loose sight of her opponent and the pistol left her left hand free for casting. Applejack thanks to her mentor and friendship with Wrex had been taught assault rifle and shot gun. Rainbow Dash had surprisingly show proficiency in a sniper rifle thanks to her enhanced pegasus eye sight and a pistol for more up close combat. Rarity seemed to prefer the assault rifle herself and seemed to do okay with it. Pinkie Pie took after Tail and seemed to do best with a shotgun and pistol. Fluttershy like Twilight only carried a pistol but also equipped herself with field medic equipment.

After gathering their equipment the six of them gathered with the other team members chatting and getting last minute advice from the ones whom had been in combat situations like these. The girls luckily had been tested in some combat saving their world several time so knew at least they wouldn't freeze up when the danger started but while they had been responsible for the death of Sambra they had never actively taken a life with their own hands. So the advise was on how to try to keep their mindsets when they finally had to do the horrible deed. The group stood around doing this chatting for two hours waiting before finally Shepard's voice came through telling Applejack, Twilight and Liara to head up to the airlock and be ready to head out to a possible hostile situation.



It took only 10 minutes for Twilight and Applejack to find themselves with Shepard, Tali and Liara on board the Mako with Tali driving and Shepard working the gun and cannon. Twilight was strapped in next to Liara the to of them whispering softly of the information Shepard had told them about Liara's mother Matriarch Benezia actually being here. Twilight was trying to comfort, reassure and gather info on the asari's parent all at the same time. In the few days she had been there her and the blue female had a few chances to talk and found it enjoyable to converse with one another having a shared love of knowledge.

Across from them Applejack sat silently with her eyes closed trying to get her mind together for the mission. The three of them were suddenly shaken as they felt the Mako's bottom thrusters lift them into the air followed by an explosion sound beside them and the cannon over head gave a loud crack letting them know it was going to be a hostile mission.



Twilight had no idea how much time had passed as the massive six wheeled tank had to fight through hordes of Geth, by when they pulled up to the entrance to the facility she let out a breath of relief to at least that part being over. She happily climbed out of the vehicle stepping out into the blizzard conditions that rained down torrents of snow on her and her team, this was the first show of how well the enchantments held up as she didn't even notice the cold air and had no trouble breathing without a helmet unlike the others with the exception of AJ.

The team followed Shepard into the door making their way into a garage are and took cover behind a few crates as gunfire filled the area around them. Shepard moved first firing a fully powered warp at one of the attacking krogan knocking it back a little and damaging it as the energy began tear its victim apart. AJ followed suit grabbing one of the crated and hurled it at the other krogan with enough force to send him crashing into the back wall. Twilight taking a hint as she leap up aiming at the geth entering the fray and with a swift motion and a glowing horn created a lightning spell in the center of the group of synthetics quickly frying them and rendering them permanently shut down. The weakened krogan and the few geth not hit by Twilight's spell where finished quickly as the group opened fire, while Twi and AJ only hit about three out of every five shots thanks to their inexperience they did the job.

"Good work team lets move." Shepard gave command as the last geth fell.

The group followed Shepard up the staircase on left side of the room stopping at a few crates to 'commandeer' supplies the group made their way into a narrow corridor with two turrets facing away from them.

"Why are the turrets facing the wrong way?" Liara asked with a cautious tone.

"They want to keep their people in as much as they want to keep others out." Tali replied. The idea they they would shoot their employees jut to keep them locked in their place of work sickened both of the mares.

The team kept moving filling into the elevator Shepard pressed the button and the team to a moment to relax for a few moments as the lift carried them to their destination. Their time was short lived though as right after moving through the frozen corridor and into another frozen room the team were attacked again by a small group of geth, though with none of the heavy hitters the machines were quickly wiped out in a hail of gunfire.

After the last geth fell the team regrouped in the center of the room as strange sounds started to bring them all back to alarm with weapons at the ready and Twi's horn growing with magic ready to cast a spell.

"What was that?" Asked Liara with a attempt to hide the nervousness in her voice.

The question was soon answered as small insect like creatures started to charge at them quickly the group opened fire wiping out all but one of the creatures who in turned got close to Liara and exploded hitting her with a few droplets of a green goo. Liara seemed to slow for a few moments as her face grew flush a wave of sickness hitting her. She did not have time to let it effect her much as larger creatures soon joined the fray, these were almost as tall as the two equines and walked on four legs with claws attacked to tendrils coming out of its sides. In a shift double team Liara threw out a singularity capturing the two attackers lifting them into the air and making them float harmlessly and Twilight launched a magical pulse. When the mana powered attack connected with the unstable eezo powered attack the mixing of the two elements in an unstable focus caused a reactive explosion vaporizing the beasts and sending the team flying back a few feet and sliding across the room.

"Okay what was that?" Asked Tali as she worked her way back to her feet.

"The creature or the explosion?" Shepard responded as he was the first to get back up.

"Actually both." The quarian replied.

"I don't know about the creatures I am not an expert in xenobiology, nor am I am expert in magic and its side effect." Liara quipped a little shaken by the blast.

"I don't know enough about lifeforms in this galaxy yet to guess about the creatures, but I may have a theory about the blast. I noticed Liara's affliction when the creature exploded on her combine that with the shock of the unknown monsters I believe it affected her biotics making the energy less contained then it normally would be. It would seem is mana and unstable eezo come in contact they have a rather violent reaction, this maybe useful if in a controlled situation down the road." Twilight hypothesized struggling to her hooves with AJ giving her a helping hand.

"We should remember that and be careful when combining the two in the future when using magic around unstable biotic attacks then." Shepard finished and waved with his hand to motion them to move on.

The team after one more creature attack quickly made their way up another elevator going up and entering the central chamber of this station and another attack from the small ones this time. Before coming to the mainframe for the V.I. at the end of the room.

"Tali think you can get the system back up?" Shepard asked looking at the massive semi circular computer in front of them.

"Such I think I saw a power junction box at the other end let me get power back up and I'll head down and reboot the system." With out another word she walked away and with only a few moments the computers voice gave out a warning about need to reactivate the V.I. in question. Tali soon came back and entered the lift to the bottom entering the core and took only a moment for the skilled quarian engineer to reactivate the holographic information woman.

After using his specter status to get as much information as he either had available to him or could answer he got the answer on how to get to the rift station via the tram line.

"Tali take Applejack and head up top get the communication line back up, then meet up at the tram when done. You two are with me we are going to get the fuel lines back up, move out." And with that the group split up fighting their way through more creatures and geth respectively and getting the menial tasks done much faster then hitting one at a time.



After a quick tram ride and helping the security team fight off a wave of the hideous monstrosities they finally found a area of survivors had taken refuge. Shepard quickly started to ask around for any information on the creatures and or Benezia, leads sent them to a doctor downstairs whom after a few questions was told about a bio weapon that infected the scientists Shepard being the hero he was volunteered the team to get a cure using his notes.

Walk out of the elevator toward the labs after getting the captains permission they came across a volus scientist standing alone in the center of the room muttering to himself.

"You came to find about them didn't you?" The small round alien asked randomly.

"The alien creatures, you mean?" Shepard responded after catching on.

"About the rachni?" The volus answered giving them a name and to three of them who read about the rachni wars a slight shiver. They quickly learned that their was a live queen egg found ab brought to the facility to make a living weapon out of the feared creatures but everything got out of hand.

The team left getting into the lab getting the cure and yet another ambush this time by the asari scientist they had briefly spoken to in the refugee area and couple more geth, they were easily dispatched without much effort and the cure was given to the doctor and the group were given access to the maintenance corridors which allowed them to get past more enemies with out fuss they found their way into the lab and finally stood before the mother of Liara T'Soni, Matriarch Benezia herself.

"You do not know the privilege of being a mother. The power to create. The power to shape a life. Turn it toward happiness or despair. Her children were to be ours. Raised to hunt and slay Saren's enemies. I won't be moved by sympathy. No matter who you bring to this confrontation." The powerful asari spoke to them as soon as the entered the room. Twilight while the woman spoke vision shifted again and the energy began to form around each person, she noticed Liara like Shepard and a few other biotics she had come across had ranges of darker blue auras but Benezia's was pitch black like that of the keeper with a tendril going off into the sky to Celestia only knows where.

"Liara's here because she wants to be. Not because I asked her to." Came Shepard's response. Twilight still in her new vision mode started to notice a gradual gathering of energy to one of her hands and started to gather mana to her horn to prepare a defense.

"Indeed? What have you told him about me, Liara?" The Matriarch questioned her only child. Twilight's hand slowly moving toward her pistol her mana now ready but kept the signs down with intense focus so only the swirl on her horn would give off a soft glow so would not be noticeable at such a distance.

"What could I say, mother? That you're insane? Evil? Should I explain how to kill you? What could I say?" Liara responded with only a little emotion. Twilight's hand gripped the gun her closeness behind Shepard hiding her move from the insane asari.

"Have you faced an asari commando unit before? Few humans have." Benezia quipped stepping forward.

"I can't believe you'd kill your own daughter." Shepard shot back looking back at the asari in question.

"I know realize I should have been stricter with her." And with that last comment Benezia through out a stasis field at the group freezing them in place. As soon as the field hit Twilight pulsed out her mana and with a shattering sound and a pump of her wings breaking the free and taking to the air in a single move her gun already drawn.

"Nice try, lets see if what could be called one of the most powerful biotic in the galaxy can compare to the element of magic." Firing a magical blast at the ancient asari sending her tumbling back to the floor as she took off after. Asari commandos now flooding the room as the others were free from the stasis.

"Shepard if you and the others can deal with our guests, Liara and I can deal with her mother!" Called out the alicorn as she moved quickly to raise a barrier around herself letting a powerful warp attack splash over them with enough force to make her slide back a few inches.

"Liara you up for it?" Shepard looked at her taking cover behind cover as shots rang out at them, the flash of dark blue and magenta light randomly flashing across the room as the two ancient and power forces dueled one another.

"I think so." She replied in a slightly hasty voice before sprinting up the stairs pushing against the pressure the two were putting out making it near impossible for most to even get near the fight. As soon as she reached to top of the stairs in a flash of magenta Twilight appeared next to her encasing them both in one of her protective barriers.

"Look I think I can save your mother, Liara. I can see the corruption if you stay here behind this barrier for now let me weaken her, as soon as the barrier comes down I need you to restrain her somehow. Think you can do it?" Twi asked holding up the the barrier around them both.

"I will try, Twilight." Liara gave with a small smile to hid her tribulation. With that Twilight teleported out of the barrier leaving Liara safe inside launching another magenta blast striking the barrier with enough force to send the matriarch flying into the container that held the rachni queen and made her fall to the floor in a rag doll state. The Barrier dropped around Liara releasing her from the safe bubble.

"NOW!" Twilight screamed and in a single motion the asari archaeologist hit her mother with a stasis field of her own locking the weakened elder in its grasp.

As soon as she was held in place Twilight began to glow and seemed to change a little her mane and tail gaining in length with yellow stripes joining the pink and purple and her wings grew in size with pink followed by purple tips. The power she was now putting out was near suffocating as she reached out toward Benezia. As soon as her hands were with in a foot of the downed asari matriarch a black field became visible to everyone with the alicorn straining at the darkness pulling at it with intense force.

"BEGONE" She roared in what only Applejack recognized as the royal Canterlot voice. and with a great pull the darkness shattered dissipating into thin air also destroying Liara's stasis field. After both were gone a magenta sphere shimmered around Twilight returning to normal as both she and Benezia collapsed into unconsciousness.

Shepard and the group joined the passed out alicorn and the tired asari scholar AJ running over to her downed friend gently picking her up into a princess carry.

"She'll be right soon ah reckon. Just used to much of er magic to save your mom thar, Liara." The farm pony said with a smile glade her friend was alright.

"Heh heh, remind me never to piss her off." Tali made with a joking tone as Shepard made his way to the container and Liara struggled up lifted her mother off the ground.

"Now what to do with you?" Shepard muttered to the rachni queen.

Author's Note:

Wow that took a while I not only replayed the level also spent time using a walkthrough on youtube to get the dialog just right and had to figure out what to include as to not run it down cause this being a main mission is quite long in the game. I decided not to include some of the more mundane parts of the game play and only talk about it in passing for this chapter isn't overly long an tedious.

Thus the first mission with some of the mane 6 is done.First change with a lot of effort Twilight can break indoctrination meaning Benezia is free and will have time to make up with her daughter thus making Liara much happier in the long run.