• Published 19th Dec 2014
  • 15,766 Views, 408 Comments

The Price of Power - kingrulerword



Being sent to pony world was weird. Getting powers was weirder. Getting imprisoned in stone was probably the weirdest. But I'm getting out soon. And I've got big plans for this world.

  • ...
92
 408
 15,766

Chapter 13: The Out of Season Halloween Special

**********Canterlot Castle 3rd POV**********

Luna awoke in the morning. While this was unusual for her in the past, it was not out of the ordinary for her in the past month. About a month ago, Luna had pushed her body past its limits and used a power that was unnatural to her body. Luna had fought Sasuke and used chakra successfully for the first time. She knew using it would have negative effects on her body and was prepared to face the consequences. After the fight, her body had been completely drained of both chakra and magic, leaving her in a severely weakened state. Her body reflected her lack of power and she was shrunk to the size of a young filly. Unfortunately, in her weakened state she found she couldn’t even raise and lower the moon. Celestia had tried to reassure her sister that it was no big deal to raise both the sun and the moon for a while but that just made Luna feel worse.

When she had woken up after the fight, she had been reveling in the feeling of protecting her ponies. Surely their low opinions of her had changed. Now they would surely view her as a shining protector, just like Celestia. Those dreams were shattered when she read the newspaper. It seemed her transformations had only increased the fear ponies felt. Her use of chakra had ponies feeling more fear than they ever had when she was Nightmare Moon. The witnesses that had seen her fight with Sasuke only recounted her brutality. Nothing seemed to be going right for the princess of the night. Maybe Sasuke was right. Maybe she would be better off with him. Luna shook those thoughts from her head. She just needed to improve her image. She looked at her calendar. Maybe there was an event she could use to boost public perception. It looked like there was one in the near future. What was Nightmare Night?

Luna teleported into the throne room. “Celestia!” she exclaimed. “What is Nightmare Night? And how may we use it to gain our ponies’ favor?”

Celestia facehoofed as her sister interrupted her meeting. “Luna, now is really not the time.”

Around the table sat some of the most important ponies in Canterlot. The wealthiest and most influential ponies, the nobles, were coordinating recovery efforts and supplying resources. When Sasuke’s group attacked they made a huge mess. Almost every royal guard was in the hospital nursing serious injuries, there had been a cloud of poison joke covering the whole city, and the improvised dance number had made sure everyone was infected. Curing everyone was an exhaustive, ongoing project. Not to mention the media ran wild with Luna’s transformation and Celestia’s…..less than regal dance moves. Security was the lowest it had ever been and even the captain of the guard, Shining Armor, was out hunting down the monster responsible. And now what did Luna want.

“It’s ok,” the nobles said, trembling with fear. “We can continue this at another time.” The nobles quickly packed up their papers and ran out of the throne room.

Celestia sighed. “Alright Luna, what is it this time?”

“I was trying to think of a way to let the ponies see that I’m not to be feared,” Luna explained excitedly. “So I thought I could make an appearance during a public holiday. What is Nightmare Night?”

“Nightmare night started out as a day of remembrance,” Celestia said. “It was a day I stopped everything to remember the sister I had lost. However, as the years went by I realised how gloomy it made you seem so I turned the day into a day of fun. Choosing your favorite activities, I created traditions that would bring ponies closer to who you really were. Nightmare Night is now a day to dress up in costumes, eat candy, play games, pull pranks, and do jump scares.”

“I’m touched, Celestia,” Luna said wiping a tear from her eye. “Thank you.”

“I also told foals to give Nightmare Moon a candy offering or she would eat them.”

Luna looked at her sister with hurt in her eyes. “CELESTIA!” she screamed as she chased her sister through the castle. “I’m going to prove that I am a kind and loving princess! And I know just the place to go.”

**********Laputa 1st POV**********

I stood in the stadium room calling upon every bit of chakra I had within me. I brought my hands together. Tiger, Ram, Snake. “Wood Style: Deep Forest Emergence!” I yelled. Instead of a mighty forest of trees, a single bush appeared.

“Is that all,” Gilda asked. “I kind of expected more.”

“I have to say I agree,” Starlight said. “I felt all of the energy you put into that. Is it some kind of mega-bush?”

I cradled my face in my hands. “This, ladies, is what failure looks like.”

“I guess there are some things even you can’t do,” Gilda smirked.

“Why isn’t it working?” Starlight said, already switching to her analytical mode. “It looks like all the pieces are there.”


“Then you aren’t looking hard enough,” I said. “Wood style is about creating life. For all my power, I don’t have life giving chakra. Or even warm, life affirming chakra. All I have is Sasuke’s cold killer chakra. Or I could get Rinnegan. That lets you do anything.”

“Did you just refer to yourself in the third person?” Starlight asked.

“Huh. I guess I did.”

“Does that mean we’re done with training for today?” Gilda asked.

“Yes it does,” I replied. “Let’s go check on the Geek Squad.”

As we left the stadium room, I reflected on the past month. My Valkyries had done an excellent job and their skills had not dulled over the generations. They had successfully assaulted the most heavily guarded city in all of Equestria, fought countless soldiers and made sure there were no casualties on either side. Not only that, they had stolen several artifacts from one of the most secure vaults on the planet and effectively commanded the timberwolves. My plan was taking great strides forward.

We walked into the lab and the room was abuzz with the unicorns’ activities. Starlight had worked with a great team in Canterlot and now they were making progress on the various experiments and projects I assigned them. There was some pushback in the beginning and some feelings of betrayal but I managed to convince them that Starlight was here against her will. After that I gave them some work and their attitudes did a complete 180. I’ll never understand instantly trusting someone that kidnapped you. Ponies. Anyway we walked through the lab to Starlight’s area.

“How’s Gilda’s data looking?” I asked as Starlight put some paper into a machine.

“We’ll see in a minute,” she answered. The machine spat out some papers which Starlight inspected. Gilda’s face was intense. She was hoping for the best.

“There are no anomalies,” Starlight said. Gilda let go of the breath she was holding. Starlight continued, “Gilda’s body is adapting well to the chakra you put in her. Her muscle density has increased and her reaction times are improving exponentially. I think that she’s ready for brain testing.”

“I told you I was stronger,” Gilda smirked. “I can handle anything you throw at me.”

“Hold on there,” I said. “Even though you’ve adapted well to small amounts of chakra, you’re not ready to have any in your head yet.” I remembered what happened in Ponyville and looked at Starlight. She shivered when she remembered it too.

“That was an overload of chakra, though,” Starlight argued. “Gilda would only be getting small, controlled doses.”

“Even so, I don’t want to risk it,” I said. “This is only temporary anyway. When Starswirl completes the serum, her body will make its own chakra. That’ll be way safer.”

“When is Beardy McNerd gonna be done anyway?” Gilda asked.

“TODAY!” Starswirl bellowed as he appeared in a huge puff of smoke and bright flash of light.

“Was any of that necessary?” I asked as I waved the smoke out of my face.

“A better question would be: why don’t the rest of you put some effort into your entrances?” Starswirl retorted.

I rolled my eyes. “You were saying something about the serum being done?”

“Yes! That!” Starswirl said. “The two sets of magic have been bonded. When applied to a living creature it will splice their DNA to allow for both sets of magic to be applied naturally to the body to prevent any negative side effects.” He held up a needle. “Who’s first?”

Gilda’s eyes lit up but before she could say anything, I got in between them. “Hold on there. I’ve got two questions. How did you know the exact moment to enter our conversation? Have you tested that yet?”

“This’ll be the first test,” Starswirl said. He ignored my other question. “But you have to start somewhere.”

“I’d prefer it not be on someone I’ve invested significant effort in,” I said. “Don’t we have any prisoners or something?”

“No, you told us we have a ‘take no prisoners’ policy,” Starlight said.

I weaved some hand seals and summoned Aoife. The griffon appeared in front of me with a sandwich in her mouth. She looked around, slightly disoriented. When she saw me she choked down her food and stood at attention. “Lord Mephisto, I’m ready for whatever you need.”

“Take some spell gems and go get some prisoners,” I instructed.

“I’m sorry. What?”

“We need some subjects for scientific experimentation. Go get at least one of every kind of pony, some griffons, and a siren or two if you can find them.”

“My lord, sirens don’t exist.”

“Really? Then just the other stuff.”

“At once.”

Aoife disappeared in a puff of smoke.

“Do you realize you just ordered a kidnapping?” Starlight asked me.

“And why do they call you Mephisto?” Gilda asked.

“I wondered about that as well,” Starswirl added.

“It’s a long story and I don’t want to get into it right now,” I said.

“But eventually?” Starlight asked.

***

All of the creatures living in the castle stood behind a magical force field in the stadium room. Everyone wanted to see the effects of the serum in action. Our test subject was a unicorn mare who had been pretty adamant about not taking part. Long story short, she was now gagged and bound to a table. Starswirl stood over her in a lab coat and goggles. He lowered the needle containing the serum to her neck.

“I just want to go on record as saying I am uncomfortable with and object to all of this,” Starlight said.

“Noted, now be a party to this by willfully not doing anything to stop it,” I said.

Starswirl injected the mare with the serum. We all leaned forward to see what would happen next. Her body started to glow. She was wrapped in a bright white light and all we could see was her outline. Chakra began to flow through her body and her shape started changing. Her forehooves became arms and she grew fingers and hands. Her equine legs became human shaped. Her horn elongated and wings sprouted out of her back. Her muzzle shrank into a human nose and her eyes changed into sharingan with one tomoe. The glow faded to reveal an unconscious human/alicorn hybrid. She had snapped the bindings that held her and lay, naked, on the table. Her fur was gone and she looked almost like a human.

“Is the process complete?” I asked Starswirl.

“I’m going to be honest with you: I have no idea. I honestly didn’t think it was going to work,” he responded. “It usually takes more than one try to get science ri-”

Before Starswirl could finish his sentence the mare behind him released an intense magical pulse, destroying him. Part of the mare’s body dissolved into magic and exploded, shaking the force field. Once the dust settled and the magic calmed down I walked over to the mare. Starswirl regenerated next to me.

“Yeah, that’s about what I thought would happen,” he said. “Is she dead?”

I held my fingers to her neck. “I think so. No pulse. So back to the drawing board?”

“Of course not! I’ve got this wealth of information right here!” he said.

“Then what do we do with her?”

“Give her to a doctor of course. We need to know what happened to her body that caused the explosion.”

I looked back to the other ponies and griffons who were talking wildly amongst themselves.

“Attention everyone!” I said to get their attention. They all focused on me. “Does anyone here know how to perform an autopsy?” All hooves and claws were raised in the air. “Does anyone here have practical experience performing an autopsy?” All of the various limbs dropped. “That’s what I thought. Where are we going to get a doctor? Hmmm….. Actually I have an idea. When is Nightmare Night?”

“It’s next week,” one of the unicorns said.

“Merlin, get your stuff. I’m sending you out for a bit,” I said. “The rest of you get back to business.”


The ponies and griffons dispersed and Merlin ran to grab his stuff. Starlight came up to me.

“What are you planning this time?” she asked.

“Relax. I’m just going to put on a show for some kids.”

“Riiiiiight. Of course you are.” Starlight huffed at me before leaving with the others.

**********Ponyville 3rd POV**********

Twilight Sparkle excitedly bounced around her house as she put her costume together. This year she was going to her first Ponyville Nightmare Night festival. This year in a show of friendship, a rich griffon had offered to partner with Filthy Rich to throw a dance party after the games. Not only that, she was going as hero academic hero, Starswirl the Bearded. AND as if this night wasn’t already going to be the best night ever she had received a letter that said her old foalsitter Cadance wanted to come see her! Twilight was so excited she almost didn’t hear the knock at the door.

“I got it,” Twilight yelled as she ran the stairs and blew past Spike. “I’m so happy to see you again it’s-” Twilight paused when she opened the door. She had been expecting a pink alicorn but standing in front of her home was a grey earth pony with a black mane.

“While I’m flattered, I have to say that wasn’t the reaction I was expecting,” he said as he walked into the library. “Hello Spike. Nice dragon costume. Looking forward to the candy?”

“Hey Rolling Stone,” Spike said. “You bet I am! Who doesn’t love free candy? But why are you here?”

“I wanted to talk to Twilight for a bit,” Rolling Stone said. “Maybe check out some books. But I’ll definitely join the party later.”

“Spike,” Twilight said as she recovered. “Why don’t you go get started without me. I’ll get dressed as soon as I’m done talking with ‘Rolling Stone’.”

Spike looked at Twilight questioningly but she shot him a gentle smile. He shrugged his shoulders and left the library. They were alone.

Twilight tried to summon up her courage. “It’s pointless to keep this up. I know what you are,” she said.

The stallion looked surprised for a second but his expression turned back into a grin. A puff of smoke shrouded the stallion. When it cleared, in his place stood the human. Twilight’s courage was quickly leaving her.

“Sasuke Uchiha,” she whispered. She tried not let her fear show, “Why are you here?”

“I already said,” he grinned. “I want to talk. And I want a library card.”


“What?” Twilight was becoming less afraid and more confused. “Why would you want to talk to me?”

“Because we’re not so different. And I want to see how my student’s student turned out.”

Twilight recoiled in disgust. “We’re nothing alike!”

“Are you sure?” Sasuke asked smugly.

“Of course!”

“What do you actually know about me?”

“You’re a monster! You attacked innocent ponies, you hurt the princess!”

“I also love reading. It’s one of my favorite activities.”

“What?”


“Learning new things is amazing. Or reading a great story. Reading is fun.”

“Really?” Twilight said, eyes full of hope. “I never meet anypony who likes reading as much as me.”

“And don’t you want to learn about the world I come from?” Sasuke said. “I can not only tell you about my world, I can show you.”

“Really?” Twilight’s eyes grew wide. “I may have been a little hasty in my judgement.” A notebook and quill materialized in a flash of magenta light. “Where should we start?”

“How about the beginning.” Sasuke activated his sharingan and brought Twilight into a world of illusion. He started a brief summary of humanity, in the form of a song. He left the illusion and left it playing in Twilight’s mind.

He started looking through the shelves for something to read. A large power suddenly appeared behind him. It almost felt like….

“Twilight? I’m here,” Cadance said. “Twilight?”

Sasuke turned around and his eyes caught Cadance’s. She gasped and started backing up. She looked wildly around the room. When she saw Twilight laying on the floor with a goofy smile plastered across her face, she gasped again and lit her horn.

“Hold on there, Cadance,” Sasuke said holding his hands up. “Just wait a minute before you do something crazy. I didn’t come here to cause any trouble. I just wanted to talk with Twilight and offered her a short history of my people as a peace offering. It’ll be over soon and she’ll be fine. Trust me.”

Cadance thought about it for a moment. After all this was one of the reasons she was here. She decided to trust the human and allowed her magic to disperse. “If Twilight doesn’t wake up in the next few minutes I’m getting my aunts,” she warned.

“Fair enough,” Sasuke responded. “So what brings you to Ponyville tonight? Coming to have fun at the Nightmare Night party?”

“I’m here to talk to Twilight about…. personal things,” Cadance said, breaking eye contact.

“Ah,” he said as he realized what was going on. “Trouble in paradise?”

“What? How did you… I mean never mind it’s none of your business,” Cadance got flustered.

“It’s ok, Cadance,” Sasuke said in a calming voice. “I won’t judge you and I can help. Trust me.”

Cadance felt her resistance melting. How is it he could always do that to her? She would have been worried but she thought back to the world inside his mind and all of her worry faded away. She was comforted by the feeling and felt safe in his presence.

“Well, I suppose talking to you won’t hurt,” she said. “Shining Armor and I have been…. arguing more than usual lately and then he left for his special mission to, uh…”

“Hunt me down,” Sasuke said, nonchalantly. “Please continue.”

Cadance nodded. “I didn’t know what to think about you and he ignored me and went straight to my aunt. Then he leaves for who knows how long while we’re in the middle of planning for our wedding and I just…. This is the first time I’m ever seeing this side of him. I don’t know how to feel about it.”

“Every relationship has rough patches,” he put his arm around her and pulled her into a hug. “You’ll get through this. Maybe you both need some time apart to de-stress.”

“Yeah, maybe you’re right,” Cadance closed her eyes and leaned into the hug and felt all of her problems vanish. She never felt so at peace. Wait a minute. That’s not right. Cadance’s eyes shot open and she pulled out of Sasuke’s grasp. “How do you keep doing that?”

“Doing what?” Sasuke asked innocently.

“Making me feel so at ease.”


“You feel at ease because we’re not so different,” he said.

“What do mean?”


“We both draw our greatest strength from love.”


Cadance’s eyes grew wide. Was what she was feeling magical resonance? “I need to talk to you about that,” Cadance said. Twilight began to stir. It appeared the illusion was ending.

“We don’t have time now,” Sasuke said. “But if you really want to know more, ask one of your aunts about what happened Mama Blue.”

Twilight shook her head trying to adjust back to reality. The first things she saw were Cadance and Sasuke looking down at her.

“Hey there little sleepy head,” Cadance said softly.

“Cadance!” Twilight replied. The two leapt up and did their strange hoofshake.

“Sunshine, sunshine

Ladybugs awake

Clap your hooves

And do a little shake!”

They both laughed and nuzzled each other. “It’s so good to see you again, Cadance,” Twilight said.

“Likewise Twilight,” Cadance smiled. “You’ve gotten so big, Twilight! I can hardly believe that little filly I used to foalsit is all grown up.”


“Yes, yes,” Sasuke said. “While this reunion is touching and all, we were having a conversation.”


The two ponies looked over at Sasuke. They then looked at each other and grinned guiltily. Twilight gasped and grabbed her quill and pad. She began scribbling furiously trying to write down everything she remembered from the illusion.

“So now that the awkward introduction is over,” Sasuke said, “What do you say we all go out and get some free candy?”

“I could use some simple fun,” Cadance said, exasperated. “Twily, what about you?”

“But there’s so much I still don’t know about your species!” Twilight exclaimed. “I thought you were going to answer all my questions!”

“I’ve got a special book with answers to questions you don’t even know you have,” Sasuke said. “I’ll give you the book. And if you both can keep this meeting a secret from Celestia, who knows? I might visit again.”

Both of the mares looked apprehensive at the prospect of trying to keep a secret from the sun princess but they both nodded in agreement.

**********1st POV*********

I turned into a pony and we all left the library. I didn’t let it show but I was really nervous. Cadance wasn’t supposed to be here today. How much had my interference changed the timeline? Was Luna still going to come to Ponyville today? What else was going to be different? As we walked through Ponyville I calmed myself and enjoyed seeing the ponies in costumes. Oddly enough I saw a pony wearing a griffon costume.

“Wouldn’t that basically be the same as wearing blackface?” I muttered to myself.

“What was that?” Cadance asked.

“Nothing,” I replied. I turned to look at the pink alicorn but did not see a pink alicorn standing next to me. Instead was a normal sized pink unicorn in a cupid costume.

“Cadance?” I asked. “Is that you?”

“Do you like it? I thought it would be best if we didn’t draw attention to ourselves,” she said with a smile. “I’m a little deliverer of love!”

“Whatever,” I rolled my eyes.

“Um... Why is everypony cowering on the ground?” Twilight asked.

As we had finally made our way to the main part of the festival, we saw most of the ponies lying on the ground with their hooves over their heads. I grinned. It looked like Luna had made it after all.

“Why don’t you guys figure out what’s going on here while I go literally anywhere else,” I said as I walked away.

“What’s that supposed to mean,” Cadance asked defensively.

“Nothing,” I replied. “I have a feeling that this is going to turn into one of Twilight’s friendship lessons and I want no parts of it.”

Cadance huffed at me and went back to Twilight. I felt around for my prey. Just outside the town. Exactly where she was supposed to be. I grinned as I activated kamui.

***

Luna was sitting dejectedly in front of the statue of Nightmare Moon when I arrived.

“You know, I’ve always wondered why this statue is even here,” I said as I changed back into a human and sat down next to her.

“As a reminder to all of my failures,” Luna lamented without looking up. “Have you come to rub salt in my open wounds, Sasuke?”

“Of course not, Luna. I’m here to celebrate my wife,” I said as I put my arm around her. She put her head down in my lap. “You don’t see surprised to see me.”

“I felt your presence as I entered the village,” she said. “I knew you would come to me at some point.”

“So what happened? Why are you so sad?”

“I tried to make this festival bright and cheery instead of dark and fearful,” Luna sighed. “But my subjects still fear me. They have never liked me.”

“Want to fix that?” I asked.

Luna’s head popped up and she looked at me directly in my eyes. “More than anything.”

“Then I have a plan. But you have to follow it to the letter.”

Luna nodded.

“Good. First, when you’re talking to the ponies, you need to talk them the way you’re talking to me right now,” I instructed.

“But I’m not using the Canterlot royal voice or the royal ‘we’,” she said.

“Exactly. Since you’ve been back have you seen Celestia do either of those things?”

She thought about it before coming to a realization. “She hasn’t! And our subjects adore her!”

“And the other thing, now that there are no real threats to pony society anymore, being frightened is an enjoyable activity.”

“What? Are you saying they like being afraid?”

“Yes. There’s a whole thing about the brain and adrenaline and endorphins once the fear passes but that’s not important. The important thing is that we can take advantage of the fear and make you more loved at the same time!”

Luna was stunned silent but she quickly recovered. Her face quickly shifted into a mischievous grin. “What’s the plan?”

********** Ponyville 3rd POV**********

Twilight and Cadance had pretty much figured out what had happened. Princess Luna had shown up at the festival. In her attempts to relate better to modern ponies she had only increased their fear. After failing yet again to win over their hearts, Luna left. Feeling it was a bad idea to let Princess Luna and Sasuke meet, the Twilight and Cadance had begun searching for Sasuke.

“I’m worried about Aunty Luna,” Cadance said as they walked through Ponyville.

“Princess Luna will have to wait,” Twilight said. “Right now we have to Sasuke from wandering around and was this tent here before?”

The two ponies stopped in front of a giant tent. It was the size of a large tree and stood in the center of Ponyville Square. A sign out front said closed.

“How long has this been here?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t know,” Cadance replied. “But we need to focus.”

They took a few steps away from the tent when suddenly, the entire town was covered in fog.

“What’s going on? There was no fog in the weather report for today,” Twilight said.

“Probably just some prankster pegasus,” Cadance said. “We need to keep looking.”

Twilight wasn’t convinced. “This fog doesn’t feel natural. I want to run some tests on it.” She took some fog in her magic and gasped. “This fog… It’s Sasuke’s magic!”

Cadance facehoofed. “Of course it is.” He was gone for five minutes. Five minutes for crying out loud! She should have known better than to trust him. Princess Celestia had warned her that he always had an ulterior motive. And now… Actually… “Twilight, do you hear that?”

Twilight’s ears perked up and swiveled around. “I do. Where is it coming from?”

The two ponies followed the sound of the music through the mist. They were joined by the other ponies in town who were similarly entranced by the strange music. They stood at the edge of town and stared out into the darkness. An orange glow appeared out in the distance. It moved back and forth a bit before Twilight realised it was getting closer. The light grew in size until it was close enough to identify. The light came from a pumpkin with a terrifying smile carved into it. It served as the head for a scarecrow. The scarecrow was on cart being pulled by a pony in a dark cloak. As the cart got closer it seemed the air got colder and the music got louder. When the dark pony got to the outskirts of the town it stopped. All of the ponies looked on with barely contained fear and excitement. Surely this was the special entertainment planned by the rich griffon benefactor.

The pony started walking into the town and began to sing.

Boys and girls of every age

Wouldn’t you like to see something strange?

Come with us and you will see

This our town of Halloween!

Twilight felt shivers as shadows started moving on the houses and joined in the song. As if called from shadows, monsters appeared from nowhere and joined in the song as well.

‘This is Halloween, this is Halloween

Pumpkins scream in the dead of night

This is Halloween, everybody make a scene

Trick or treat 'till the neighbours gonna die of fright’

The monstrous procession moved through the town and kept singing. New monsters were introduced and they added their part and joined the parade. The foals ran along the sides with huge smiles. They danced and tried to sing along. The adults were just as excited and danced with each other to the music.

“What do we do?” Twilight asked Cadance.

“This has Sasuke written all over it,” Cadance said. “For now we should just follow the parade.”

The song continued and the princess observed the monsters. By the climax they had multiplied like crazy and stood in the middle of town. Startling everyone, the scarecrow started to move. It grabbed a torch and set itself on fire. The monsters continued to sing as the flaming scarecrow danced around on the edge of a fountain. Then it dove in.

‘In this town, we call home

Everyone hails to the pumpkin song

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

Wheeeeeeeeee!’

Out of the fountain, Princess Luna rose as the monsters cheered and giggled. As the music ended the stomping applause of every pony sounded like thunder. After taking a few bows, all of the monsters turned into dust and a stiff wind blew them into the mysterious tent turning the sign to open in the process.

“Thank you, citizens of Ponyville,” Luna said. “Now let us all enjoy the festivities tonight!”

With a renewed determination, all the ponies partied harder. Cadance and Twilight ran up to the night princess.

“Ah hello Twilight, niece,” Luna said cheerfully. “How are you enjoying the festivities?”

“What was all that, aunty?” Cadance asked.

“It was just something to help me break the ice with my subjects,” Luna replied. “It think it went well.”

“How did you do that?” Twilight asked. “What kind of spells did you use? How did you control so many of those monsters at once? How did you use magical resonance without pulling everypony into it?”

“She had a little help.” The pony form of Sasuke approached the group with a young foal.

“Who is this adorable little guy?” Luna asked.

“My name is Pip and this is my first Nightmare Night,” the brown and white foal said.

“Isn’t that wonderful,” Luna said as she leaned down to nuzzle him. “Are you enjoying Nightmare Night?”

“It’s awesome!” the foal cheered. “Can you come back again next year and do that again?”

“Of course,” Luna smiled.

“Whoa, you’re my favorite princess, ever!” The foal ran off to his friends. “She said yes, guys!”

“So what were you saying?” Sasuke asked. Luna smiled while Twilight and Cadance stare.

“What? How? What in Tartarus is going on here?” Cadance babbled.Twilight nodded furiously behind her.

“I’ll tell it if you don’t mind,” Luna started. “After my less than successful attempt to win over my subjects, Sasuke found me wallowing in self pity. He comforted me and came up with a plan to change my image. If we joined in the celebration instead of fighting it, he said it would make me more likeable. In the end, he was right again.” She looked over to Sasuke warmly.

“Aunty, aren’t we at war with him right now,” Cadance deadpanned.

“Today’s a truce day,” Sasuke said while inspecting a hoof.

Cadance rolled her eyes. “You don’t really expect me to believe that you’d put your evil plans on hold for a-” A cold chill crawled up Cadance’s spine. It was unlike she had ever felt, a combination of coldness and instinctual fear. The looks on Luna’s and Sasuke’s faces turned deadly serious.

“Did you feel that,” Sasuke asked.

“I did,” Luna responded, her tone steely.

Sasuke changed into his human form. “Luna, Cadance let’s go. Twilight stay here and make sure no one leaves Ponyville. Understand?”


“What’s going on?” Twilight asked. “Princess?”

“Do as he says Twilight,” Luna instructed. “This should not take long but we need to be prepared. Come niece, it is time for your first true test as an alicorn.”

The group vanished in a flash of light, leaving Twilight and Ponyville behind.

**********Everfree Forest**********

Cadance was shaking. Luna had teleported her and Sasuke into the Everfree Forest, closer to the dark feeling. She still didn’t know what was going on or what made her aunt so nervous. It was a terrifying feeling not knowing. What made it worse was the eeriness of the forest. There were no animals at all. No birds, bats, or anything. Even the wind was dead.

“Will one of you please tell me what the buck is going on?” Cadance whispered. Sasuke drew his sword and Luna began charging her magic. “Please! You’re scaring me.”

“Cadance there are truths about alicorns that are not common knowledge,” Luna said, her eyes scanning the forest. “We are a special breed with a special connection to this world. That presence you sensed earlier was your body making use of that connection. It is instinctual that you feel them. Every living thing in nature has an natural enemy.” Cadance heard wingbeats growing closer. “These are ours.”

Two creatures landed in front of them. They were large, slightly larger than even Princess Celestia. It looked like they were made of darkness itself, their bodies swirling masses of inky blackness. They wore psychopathic grins on their twisted faces. Altogether they looked like starving, decaying alicorns with glowing red eyes. Everything about them felt wrong and made Cadance want to vomit.

“Looky here brother,” one of them said, their voice like nails on a chalkboard.

“Yes, yes, I see them,” said the other. “Two sisters and their pet.”

“I remember this sister,” the first creature said as it began to circle them. “She was not very nice to us.” Its grin never left its disgusting face.

“And I remember the pet,” the second replied as it circled the other way. “It bites us. It needs to be trained and punished.”

“Aunty, I’m scared,” Cadance whispered, swallowing down bile. “What are these things?”

“Wraiths,” Sasuke said, his own eyes glowing red. “It’s been a while boys. How’s Tartarus been treating you?”

“You trapped us and our brothers,” the wraiths screeched. “We have been starving for millennia! When we got free you tortured us and sent us back! You must be punished!”


The wraiths charged at the group. Sasuke’s sword lit up with electricity and the sound of chirping birds filled the air. The wraiths hissed and stopped their charge.

“I remembered how much you guys hate light,” Sasuke said with a grin. “And this time I won’t be nearly as forgiving. Are you ready Luna?”


“Of course,” Luna said. Blue light engulfed her body and her hid her from view. When the light faded Luna stood in her human form. Only something was different. She was shorter and younger looking than last time and instead of a pitch black dress, it was dark blue. Her eyes were the same as Sasuke’s glowing red with a similar pattern. “Cadance, I need you to use the Alicorn’s Authority while Sasuke and I fight the wraiths.” Her chains came from the shadows and started glittering. Then they turned pure white.

“Are you sure,” Cadance whimpered. “Aunty Celestia said to never use except for in the most dire of circumstances.”


“This is that circumstance,” Luna commanded. “This is an order from your princess, use the Alicorn’s Authority!”

Cadance began charging her magic.

“Kill them!” the wraith shouted.

Again the wraiths charged. Sasuke and Luna engaged them in battle. Luna swung her chains and moved them to a place where Sasuke could strike them. His lightning attacks weakened them so that Luna could rip through them with her chains. Every move they made complimented each other perfectly and their teamwork was flawless. Watching them fight together, Cadance saw no openings to strike back. The wraiths were completely on the defensive and couldn’t even run away. Every hit they took caused them to hiss and leak a pitch black substance that killed whatever it touched. Their twisted flesh stitched itself back together and the wraiths laughed.

“You can’t kill us,” they taunted. “And when you tire, we will feed on your flesh.”

“I seem to remember you saying something similar last time,” Sasuke smirked. “Don’t you Luna.”

“Yes as I recall they said ‘Little sisters and their pets should stay quiet and be eaten’,” Luna smiled. “Remind me ‘big brothers’ what happened last time?”

The creatures snarled and renewed their assault. Luna ran her chains through one of the wraith’s legs holding it in place and searing its flesh. Sasuke followed up by slicing off the chained legs. The wraith let out a bloodcurdling scream of pain. Even through their brutality, Cadance couldn’t help but admire their synchronization. She had watched her aunts fight Sasuke. They had been a great team and it was easy to tell they trusted each other. But watching Sasuke and Luna fight together was an entirely different experience. They moved completely in synch as if they could read each other’s mind. It was like Cadance wasn’t watching a fight but two lovers dancing. Moving in perfect timing, hitting every move in perfect sync. She felt the spell nearing completion and pushed as much magic as she could into it. One of the wraiths was waiting for its legs to grow back and the other was having a lot of trouble dealing with the humans. Now they were toying with it.

“It’s ready,” Cadance shouted. A portal opened up in front of her and Luna used her chains to throw the wraiths in.

“Hear our message,” they said as the portal closed. “Father will get his revenge! The light of the sisters will go out and the eternal darkness of the wraiths will consume all!”

The portal closed with a flash leaving nothing but a scorch mark on the forest floor.

“What did that mean?” Cadance asked.

Luna was completely stiff. She regained her senses and spoke quickly and in a panicked voice. “Cadance, go give Twilight the all clear. I must return to Canterlot immediately. Cadance please come after you finish up here.” She teleported away.

“Sasuke? What about you?”

“I’ve…. got some stuff I need to do,” Sasuke said. He disappeared in a swirl centered on his right eye.

“Of course,” Cadance mumbled. “Left in the dark again.”

**********Golden Oak Library**********

Twilight was feeling good. She had a wonderful night with her foalsitter, Princess Luna had integrated herself into modern society without issues, she had learned about an entirely new world, and now she could relax with a good book. As she walked to her bed carrying a spellbook in her magic, she was surprised to see a package waiting for her on her pillow. She picked it up in her magic and read the note attached to it.

I didn’t forget about you or our deal. As promised here are the books.

-Sasuke

P.S. Always remember: The right to use my friend as a weapon. That is the sinful crown I shall adorn.

What the hay did that mean? Twilight didn’t even wear a crown. Whatever. Twilight tore into the packaging and was surprised to find two books. One was titled ‘Children of Tartarus’. It seemed interesting. But the other book had note on it that said ‘read me first’. That one was titled ‘The Journal of Madame Blueblood’. Twilight settled in her bed with the book and turned to the first page. She had a good feeling about this.

**********Laputa 1st POV**********

Wraiths!?! Why the hell are wraiths coming back? How the hell did they even escape Tartarus? How much of the timeline had changed? I paced back and forth in my room randomly sputtering out curses. I flopped down on my bed. I took a deep breath and focused. I could handle this. All it would take was some information gathering and slight alterations to my plans. Everything was still proceeding on schedule and this was the only major change I’d observed thus far.

“Sasuke, you in there?” Starlight knocked on my door. “The doctors Merlin got are awake and about to perform the autopsy.”

“I’ll be there in a minute,” I said through the door. I composed myself and started adjusting my plans. Looks like the Valkyries were going to have more active roles for a while. I got up and left my room.

**********Tartarus 3rd POV**********

Princess Celestia walked through Tartarus with purpose. Luna had come back with some disturbing news. Wraiths in Ponyville? And they spoke of a creature they called ‘Father’. Something was happening in Tartarus and there was no way Celestia was going to deal with that at the same time Sasuke was going crazy. She was going to nip this problem in the bud. As she moved through the hellscape various creatures moved around her but none dared approach her. She passed through many cells containing the worst criminals in history until she reached her destination. She came to a stop in front of a cell containing a disheveled unicorn.

“My, my, my, it has been so long since I’ve had a visitor, you’ll have to pardon the mess,” the unicorn said. “But you see in here there’s no sense of time and the energy is literally drained out of you.”

“Grand Stander,” Celestia spat. “What are you planning?”

“Come now, Princess,” Grand Stander said. “What could I possibly hope to accomplish from here?” Celestia snorted. “Sit down and let’s talk. Now what brings you all the way down here to see me?”

Author's Note:

Remember that chapter I promised to write in a week like 4 months ago? Well here it is! If you were wondering I did lose that bet. That's $20 I'm never getting back. Anyway I hope you enjoyed the new chapter.:pinkiehappy:

Soooo if you like soundtracks in your stories I have some bad news. This is probably the last time I'm going to add music. At least for a while. If you don't like soundtracks: Good news everyone! No more soundtracks for a while

Remember to like if you liked it and keep the comments coming. And as always I use your comments as dates for high school dances I wasn't invited to so don't make me be a creepy old person at a random high school (by myself)!