• Published 27th Dec 2014
  • 4,514 Views, 158 Comments

PIE: Patapon In Equestria - Runa



A guy buys a replica of the Pon drum from patapon on Etsy, and is sent to Equestria as the great Patapon. He then plants Mater, the Patapon tree of life, and brings the Patapon tribe to the new land. Now it is time for the Patapons to march!

  • ...
8
 158
 4,514

Drums and DM's

Celestia looked at the cubic thing in her magic intently. Harmony had guided her to it, and had told her that it was connected to a being from another realm of existence. She was trying to figure out how it worked. In a stroke of inspiration, which was sparked by Harmony, she threw it at the ground. It rolled, and a portal appeared near, it to Celestia’s surprise.

Out from the portal popped a humanoid being wearing a black hoodie and black pants. The being got sent flying from the portal and onto the crystal floor. Celestia felt Harmony recoil slightly from it, before it began to concentrate itself around it.

“Ow,” the being said. “Where am I now?” Celestia looked at him curiously.

“You are in my Palace. May I inquire who you are?”

“Sure, I’m Dox Ad Finem…” the being, now identified as Dox, said. He gave Celestia a strange look. “Um… D-did you summon me?”

“I was trying to figure out how this strange cube worked. I was told by Harmony that it is connected to a powerful being. Are you he?”

“Well, I’m not one to brag, but yeah, I guess,” Dox said. “And who the hell is Harmony?”

Dox, be wary. There is more here than meets the eye. Dox seemed to subtly nod at the strange voice that came out of nowhere. Celestia looked around wearily.

“Who was that?”

“Who’s what?” Dox said, avoiding the question. “I didn’t hear anything.” Celestia glared at him slightly.

“I do not like liars, but very well. To answer your earlier question, Harmony is the being that guides my people. In every one of us it resides, and through it we all achieve perfect unity and happiness.” She sighed before adding, “At least, we could if our enemies would relent. Not a full day ago we were attacked by Discord’s minions. And there are other foes besides.”

“Um, alright…” Dox said. “Listen, is there a Displaced around here, or what? I think I’d like to talk to them.” Celestia tilted her head slightly.

“I have the feeling you are not talking about the refugees flooding in every day, are you? Could you tell me what a Displaced is?”

“Um, a Displaced is… Well…” Dox started. “A Displaced is someone who got tricked by the Merchant into buying something and got sent to Equestria…. Well, that’s the normal formula in a nutshell, anyways.”

Celestia closed her eyes briefly, asking Harmony if any fitted that description. She hissed slightly before replying with venom in her voice.

“Kami... Thats who you are asking about. Follow my advice. Do not align yourself with him. He is a murderous barbarian.”

“Wait, what?!” Dox screamed, taking a step back from Celestia. “What the heck?! I’ve never met a Displaced like that… Well, except maybe Asphyxious… and Jack, maybe… But that’s beside the point. Where is he? I could possibly take care of him, maybe get him to calm down a bit.” Celestia growled.

“There is no reasoning with him and his Tribe. Go if you wish, but you will see what he and his people are like. And if you can–” She broke off her sentence, and a crystal grew out of the ground, about the size of a marble. “Give this to Luna if she is still with them.” She levitated it to him with her magic.

Dox. I’d be careful with that, if I were you. It reeks of something familiar… I just can’t put my finger on it.

“I’ll remember,” Dox said, seemingly ignoring the strange voice and taking the marble. “So, where can I find this ‘Kami’, if he even is a god?” Celestia shot a look at him before replying.

“His camp is in the Everfree, may that forest rot for harboring him.”

“Thank you,” Dox said. “Now, where is the door so I can actually get out of here?” As he said that, Celestia’s horn glowed and part of a wall turned into a door.

“Just go that way and keep on going. And do not go in another direction. You will get lost.”

“Alright…” Dox said as he turned and left.


It took a few minutes of opening doors and walking, but he got out. He took off from the ground, using his gravity powers to fly, and set off for the Everfree forest. For about two miles, all he could see was crystal as far as the eye could see.

“The heck happened here?” Dox questioned as he flew out over the crystal landscape. “It’s like the Crystal Empire dropped some kind of special Nuke on Canterlot.” A strange feeling vaguely told him that that's how the world is supposed to be. It was like a soft whispering, comforting and quiet…

Dox. Are you alright?

“I’m fine, big guy,” Dox said. “Everything’s fine…”

I doubt that. Just remember that I’m keeping an eye on you for as long as you’re here.

“Whatever, big guy,” Dox said. “I have to find this Displaced and see what his deal is.”


After a solid thirty minutes of flying, Dox landed on the outskirts of the Everfree forest.

“The hell is up with this area?” Dox said, looking at the chaotic landscape around the Everfree forest. The same feeling whispered that it was because of Discord. That the land was tainted and needed to be cleansed by Harmony. A shiver went up Dox’s spine at the mention of Harmony. “Harmony… That name again… DM, can ya look out for this Harmony guy? I’m starting to get weird feelings about them…”

Very well. It sounds like I need to anyways. This ‘Harmony’ sounds more in line with the Architect of Corruption.

“Thanks, big guy,” Dox said as he turned back to the forest. “Alright, ‘Kami’, Where are you?” With that, Dox entered the forest, only to stop upon seeing a strange little creature. It looked a little like some sort of a cartoon eyeball with arms and legs. It also wore a strange hat and carried a dangerous looking spear. “The hell? You look familiar, little guy. Like, not from Equestria, familiar. More like my old DM buddy, familiar.” The thing spun around as he spoke and pointed his spear at him. “Dude, don’t point that at me.” Dox summoned a sword. “You won’t like what happens if you attack me. I’m just looking for Kami.”

“Why do you want to talk to him?” the thing said, not lowering his spear.

“I just want to see him,” Dox said. “Got summoned on accident by Celestia–” The little thing hissed at the name.

“That little bag of mystery meat. She lives with us for months, insulting us all the while, and then runs off somewhere! What is she doing!”

“Um, she apparently summoned me,” Dox said. “I’m a Displaced. She has my token right now. Honestly, I just got pulled away from my world. Didn’t really get an option. My token just kind of works if you roll it. I kinda want to go home right now, so I’m trying to find the Displaced that lives here. Kami is a Displaced, right?” The little thing’s attention had noticeably drifted until the mention of Kami.

“I don’t know what a Displaced is, but I’ll take you to Kami. Be respectful, he is our god and leader. Follow me.” He turned around, and began walking.

“Hey, wait up!” Dox said, putting away his sword and following after the little thing.


Soon enough they came into a clearing that was bustling with life. More of the little creatures were going about, keeping the place in order. There were sturdy looking buildings in the clearing as well, but everything centered around a single tree. The base of the tree was huge. The branches had no leaves, but several curled towards the rest of the tree, itself. There seemed to be a symbol on it that looked just like the little creature that Dox had encountered.

“Wow. Weird,” Dox said, admiring the tree. “So, where’s this Kami?” The little creature pointed to the other side of the tree.

“His throne is on that side. Just don’t touch Mater or disturb anyone. Now, I need to go hunting.” The creature walked back into the forest. Eyes turned to Dox, staring at the oddity.

“Huh, odd folk,” Dox said, walking around the tree to where the little creature said Kami was. On that side there was a large fire pit, about as long all the way around as Dox was tall. And facing towards the fire was a throne made out of wood. It was not ornate in anyway, but seemed great in its simplicity. “Wow, nice. I think that’s what I want my throne to look like if I get one for marrying my princesses. Nice and simple. Pretty humble.”

Dox then noticed the guy on the throne. His skin seemed to be as black as the empty void. He wore no clothes, besides a strange hat, and his facial features seemed to be missing, except for his eyes and mouth. His eyes were perfect circles and were very generic. His mouth looked like it was just a line drawn on with white paint. All in all, he looked like a cartoon sketch, and would have been just that to Dox, if he hadn’t moved to speak.

The person, whose name was probably Kami, drifted his eyes over to Dox.

“Hello, who are you?”

“Um… I’m Dox…” Dox said, trying not to stutter. “Dox Ad Finem. I’m the Dungeon Master of Equestria. I got summoned here by Celestia and–” All of the little creatures looked at Dox, “...And from what I heard from her, you’re kind of off the handle. Honestly, I just came to talk to you. I’m not here to do anything, just talk. Oh, and she asked me to give this to Luna.” Dox held up the marble that he received from Celestia. The voice he had heard whispering to him started yelling at him to put it away. Kami looked at it distrustfully.

“She is in the barracks right now, along with most of my other warriors. We just came home from another world. Had to save a guy from over a thousand hounds, believe it or not. Anyway, I wouldn’t trust that little marble. It probably has some sort of compulsion on it or something. In fact,” he turned to another creature dressed in a combination of a robe and a dress and wearing an extremely ornate hat, “Mind getting Hatapon, Meden?”

“As you wish, Great One,” she said, and walked off.

“Uh, quick question.” Dox said. “What the heck?! What are these little things? Who’s Mater? Who’s Hatapon? The heck is going on here?!” Kami chuckled slightly.

“These ‘little things’ are called Patapons, Mater is the Tree behind me, Hatapon is our flag bearer, and there are many things going on, so you’ll need to be more specific.” Meden came back at the end of that, dragging another Patapon holding a flag across the ground.

“But Meden!” Hatapon said, “I’m so tired!”

“Shush you.” Meden said as she dragged him in front of the throne. “Here you are Great One.” Hatapon got up, sighing.

“What do you want?” he asked disconsolately.

“Dox, if you would, give Hatapon that marble please.” Kami asked.

“Alright,” Dox said. He held his hand out to Hatapon and attempted to drop the marble to him. Emphasis on attempted, as the marble stuck to his hand. The voice that had been whispering to Dox was furious now, yelling at him to not trust the Patapons or Kami. To destroy them all right now. Cleanse them from this world.

I think I’ve figured out what’s up with this Harmony, guy.” Came the voice of the DM from a random nearby Patapon. Said Patapon ran up to Dox and knocked him down. “Help me hold him down! Whoever this Harmony guy is, he’s trying to control Dox.

Kami glanced angrily at the possessed Patapon.

“You will explain everything later, whoever you are, but fine. Patapons, FORWARD!” Drum beats reverberated through the air, and all the Patapons leapt to attention.

*Pata pata pata pon!* the invisible drums beat. The Patapons, in perfect unison replied.

“Pata pata pata pon!” They all rushed on top of Dox, but didn’t grab him yet.

*Pon pon pata pon!* The drums roared, and the Patapons held Dox down, replying in kind.

Pon pon pata pon!”

Dox started to convulse on the ground, struggling under the Patapons’ grasp. The one that had been possessed by the DM got off of Dox, and was immediately replaced by another Patapon. The possessed Patapon then walked up to the hand that held the marble and ripped it out of Dox’s hand before tossing it to Hatapon. Immediately, Dox started to visibly calm down.

“Thanks… Big guy,” Dox said. “Oi, is that what it feels like to be possessed? That shit does NOT feel good.” The Patapons moved away from Dox and returned to their tasks.

“I trust that you’re feeling better now?” Kami asked.

“Much,” Dox said. “The hell was up with that?!”

“I would like to know that myself. But right now YOU!” He pointed to the possessed Patapon. “Explain, now.”

What do you want to know?” the voice of the DM said. “I mean, it’s not like I’m not helping you. I mean, I did just kind of help you to avoid a mass murder at the hands of my champion. But if I must. I am the DM, the keeper of Reality. You seem to have met my champion. I’m only here to help him and, by extension right now, you.

“Something that I want explained is why you are possessing one of my Patapons! Why didn’t you just speak into my head or something if you are such a high tier god?!”

Because I’m not a god as you say,” the DM said. “If anything, I’m a supreme over god. Or at least, that’s how the players used to call me, back when I had them. I rule over most gods, minus the Ascended. And had I known you were a young god, yourself, I would have done that. I wasn’t really paying attention to Dox’s surroundings, just what was happening to him.

“Just do that instead later, and release my charge as well! I can resurrect them from the dead, but not from insanity! And having a god in your head isn't good your sanity.”

“Tell that to me,” Dox said. “He’s always in my head. Kinda gets annoying from time to time.”

Watch it kid,” the DM said. He sounded like he was fading out. Right afterwards, the Patapon collapsed on the ground.

“Take him to his bed,” Kami told a passing Patapon. He then turned to Dox. “Anyway, Celestia gave that to you, right?”

“Y-yeah.” Dox said. “What about her?”

“Tell me where she is, what powers she has, if she has any followers, that kind of thing.”

“W-well, I don’t know most of those things.” Dox said. “I only know she’s back in her castle… And she has my token… Shit. Listen, she said you’re a murderer, and she said you’re not to be trusted. Then she gave me that marble and told me to take it to Luna. If that’s what it does, then I’m pretty sure she was lying. If she has my token, it can only mean bad things. I don’t want to just be pulled here every so often by her. Alright?” Kami nodded.

“I hear you. But I have a feeling that she has grown way stronger than she was when she left. I mean, how could she have made something so powerful when she is still a filly?”

“Um, no,” Dox said. “She seemed like a full grown mare when I saw her. Listen, we wanna get my token away from her, alright?”

“I get that. But that is strange. She only left a few days ago, and she was only up to my waist then. Whatever power she has must be a whopper. Still, we are not the Patapon Tribe for nothing. Do we need to leave now or can we go tomorrow? My troops just got home from a tough battle.”

“Well, if that’s the case, I’m sure it can wait for a little,” Dox said sarcastically. “Honestly, if we can get to her now, we can get my token away from her. That means less attempts to send me after you. Trust me, you’d like that. And I’d also have to say, be careful about her getting other tokens.” Kami huffed, but nodded.

“Meden, do we have the resources to make any more Patapons?” he asked.

“No, Great One. We would need to wait at least until tomorrow.”

“Fine.” Kami growled. “Then we march in ten minutes. Get the troops ready.” Meden nodded, and rushed off. “I hope you know what you’re doing, Dox. My troops won’t be as effective without a good night’s rest.”

“Then I have a question,” Dox said. “Do you have a potion master or someone who’s good with alchemy?”

“Not yet. Eventually we will, but not right now.”

“Well, do you have the stuff for alchemy?” Dox asked. “I think I have an idea of how to help you and your troops.”

“You can look in the storage house.” Kami said. “There might be some stuff, but we haven’t dedicated anyone to gathering that kind of resource yet.”

“Great, I’ll have a look and get back to you in a bit,” Dox said. “Just… make sure to get on it soon. What I have can help you a lot, but I’m not too good at doing it myself.”


Amazingly, it took Dox a full day to come back to Kami. When he finally did come back, his hoodie was missing, and his left arm seemed to be full of fresh scars.

“Finally done!” Dox exclaimed as he walked up to Kami. “Finally freaking done! Do you know how hard it is to make a distillery with what you guys had?! You had bamboo and simple metal kitchenware! The ‘distillery’ I made can’t even be called that! It sucks, but I freaking MacGuyvered it to get it to work!” Kami stared at him for a moment.

“You do realize that you took an entire day. In that time, my troops fell asleep on the ground. We brought out blankets before just taking them back to their beds. They’ll be refreshed now.”

“Wait, seriously?!” Dox yelled. “I took an entire DAY?! Well, at least you have a hillbilly distillery now for an alchemy guy. Feel free to use it whenever. Anyways, I was going to give you this.” Dox held up a corked vial of purple-red liquid. “It’s not much, but it would have been perfect.”

“And that is...?”

“An instant res potion,” Dox said. “It’s meant to completely revive a party, or in this case, a troop. It would have gotten your troops on their A-game instantly. But, seeing as how I used a day to make it, we don’t really have a use for it right now. But still, here.” Dox tossed the corked vial to Kami. Kami sighed as the vial passed right through him, falling on the floor with a ‘clink’ sound, but not breaking or even cracking. “Huh, odd. Anyways, take it. Could come in handy some day.” Kami turned to Meden.

“Could you please hold onto that for me?” Meden nodded and picked it up, then returned to her place beside him.

“Anyway, now that you’re done with that, we can assault Celestia.”

“Yay.”


Dox, Kami, and the Patapons stood at the edge of the Everfree forest. Waiting… for something.

“Um, why are we all just waiting here?” Dox asked.

“I thought you knew.” Kami said. “Well let’s go.” A little Luna, who was standing behind Dox, used a feather and some skillful telekinesis to tickle his armpit.

“Hey!” Dox said, grabbing the feather and turning towards the little Luna. “The hell?!” She giggled as she dodged behind some amused Tatepons. Kami just sighed.

“Could we go now Luna? Or is there something else you want to do?”

“Nope! All done now!” she cheerfully said.

“Um, hold up, is she coming with?” Dox said. “Wasn’t Celestia trying to get a bit of crystal to her in the first place? I mean, Celestia’s castle was made of crystal, so yeah.”

“Then should we stop then, Dox? We do not stop because of something so trivial. Luna’s soul is bound to Mater, just as every other Patapon’s soul is. She is spiritually a Patapon. Whatever Harmony is, It won’t subvert her easily.”

“Alright then, if you say so.” Dox said. “Let’s get moving.”

*Pata pata pata pon!*

“Pata pata pata pon!”

“Yes, hear the drums and follow them,” Dox said. “Seriously, tons of familiar here to my old DM buddy. Still trying to remember the name of that game.”


The mountain of a palace was in view, and there was a village at the main gate. The gate was being heavily defended by several of what seemed to be Celestia’s finest militia ponies.

“Wow,” Dox said sarcastically. “Refugees. Alright, I’m gonna have to say this now, I ain’t killing anyone. You do the same, alright?”

“No promises. When the Drums beat and battle is joined, we tend to lose ourselves. When that happens, we march until there are no enemies left.”

“Alright then.” Dox said. “But seriously, those guys don’t look to be military guys. They just look like refugees. Hell, if it makes it any better, let me go first. Alright?”

“Alright. But if they do fight us, they will probably not be shown any mercy.”

“Yeah, you do that,” Dox said. He then disappeared with a puff of shadowstuff, only to reappear behind the militia ponies before knocking them out one by one. One of the militia ponies seemed to catch onto what he was doing, but failed to stop him, as Dox shot out his fist into the pony’s face, knocking him out and probably breaking his snout. Dox then retracted his fist and motioned for Kami and the Patapons to continue.

Just as Kami began to beat his drums, crystalline warriors grew out of the land around Dox. They were armored in crystal plate, and welded weapons ranging from Broad Swords to morningstars. They immediately went after Dox.

“Well shit,” Dox said. He pulled out his sword again, just in time to block a strike from one of the crystal warriors. “Alright, Kami, any time now!”

*Pata pata pata pon!*

Pata pata pata pon!” Some of the crystal warriors turned their attention toward the Patapons. they charged toward the line as the drums beat again.

*Chaka chaka pata pon!*

“Chaka chaka pata pon!” The shields in the Tatepons hands grew larger, and the Patapons moved into a defensive position just as the crystal warriors crashed into them. A few spears flew overhead, along with arrows. Surprisingly, the primitive weapons chipped the enemy's armor.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

Pon pon pata pon!” The Patapons counterattacked, their weapons cutting into the enemy. The sword wielded by the Tatepon made gashes slightly deeper than those caused by arrows or spears.

“How the hell are you guys doing that?!” Dox screamed, finally knocking the surprisingly strong crystal warrior away from him.

“WE ARE THE PATAPON TRIBE!” Kami yelled as he pounded out another beat.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Fever!” Every Patapon screamed at once, and they fought even harder. Spears and arrows zipped overhead and the Tatepons fought like demons.

“Seriously?!” Dox yelled, struggling with the one crystal warrior who was destroyed by one of the Tatepons. “How are they this easy for you guys, and yet so strong against me?! The hell?!”

“I’LL EXPLAIN LATER. I NEED TO CONCENTRATE NOW.”

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Pon pon pata pon!” A few of the crystal warriors broke, and crumbled into dust under the assault.

“Wait a second, I think I finally realize what the hell this is now.” Dox said, taking a few steps back to Kami. “This is like that weird rhythm game my old DM friend played. Patapon. Wow, I should have realized that earlier, even if that game never really got that public in my world. I think I have an idea, though. The Patapons respond to sound, right?” Kami didn’t need to yell now, as Dox was closer now.

“Correction, they respond to the beats of the four sacred drums. They fill my warriors with strength, courage, vigor, and luck.”

“Alright, well, there goes my idea…” Dox said.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Pon pon pata pon!” Another crystal warrior fell as a Tatepon slid under it and stabbed straight through it.

“Actually, I got another idea,” Dox said. “Got a spare Patapon I can look at for a second?” Kami nodded.

“That Yumipon back there. Just make it quick,” he said, pointing to one of the Patapons shooting arrows.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Pon pon pata pon!” A crystal warrior crumbled when it was hit by several arrows at once.

Dox, meanwhile, walked up to the Yumipon that Kami pointed out, picked it up and examined it for a minute, then put it back down, much to the Yumipon’s displeasure. Dox then began to shift. His skin turned a deep black, and his clothes disappeared. All of his facial features disappeared, except for his eyes. His mechanical eye stayed the same, but the other one turned into the same cartoonish eye that all the other Patapons had. His forearms became large and dense, and he shrank slightly from 6’2” to 5’8”.

“Wow, was not expecting this,” Patapon Dox said. “Kinda weird, if ya ask me.”

“Wow, you became a Robopon.” Kami commented as the Drums beat out another tattoo.

*Pon pon pata pon!* Energy seemed to shoot through Dox as the Drums beat.

“Pon pon pata pon!” The fourth to last crystal warrior was shattered by a spear.

“Whoa. What a rush!” Dox said. “That feels amazing! Hey, try something else.”

“Alright.”

*Pon chaka pon pon!* The Yumipons shot several volleys in quick succession, the Tatepons did a jumping uppercut at all the crystal warriors, and the Yaripons threw even harder.

Dox felt a compulsion to help in the attack. For some reason, the only thing coming to his head was to reach down and grab a chunk of the ground to throw it at the enemy. Finding no other ideas coming to his head, Dox reached down, dug his hands into the ground, and pulled out a MASSIVE chunk of Earth and hurled it at the last crystal warrior. The impact destroyed the last warrior, instantaneously.

“This power!” Dox said. “This feels amazing! Is this what the other Patapons feel like?” All the Patapons started cheering at the victory.

“As far as I can tell, you’re only getting about half as much from the drums at the natural Patapons. Well, and Luna.”

“Huh. Cool.” Dox said. “Dude. I wonder what’d happen if I got a full feel of it. Now that’d be scary.”

“Now you know why our culture focuses around battle so much.”

“Yeah. Now how about we go get my token away from Celestia?” Dox asked. Kami nodded.

“Lets go the–” He was cut off as the crystal soldiers’ remains swirled together to form a goliath of a being. As if this weren't enough, several more small crystal warriors grew around him.

“We’ll hold them off, you go!” Kami yelled as he began to beat his drums.

*Chaka chaka pata pon!*

“Chaka chaka pata pon!”

Dox was compelled to stay and defend. The will of the Drums was strong, but Dox shifted back into his original form instead.

“Alright, I’ll see you back at your camp when I’m done, okay?” Dox said. “Settle this here, then run. Don’t wait for me. I can pretty much handle myself.” Dox then took off into the castle.

*Chaka chaka pata pon!*

“Chaka chaka pata pon!” The smaller crystal warriors rushed toward them while the large one moved at a slow, but steady pace.

‘I only need to hold them for a little while. Just long enough for Dox to confront Celestia.’ Kami thought. He watched the Tatepons hold a shield wall while the others rained death down from above. Luna was watching the giant warrior intently. The smaller ones crashed on the shield wall just in time for the next song.

*Pon pon pata pon!* The Patapons cheered as they attacked.

“FEVER!” The crystal warriors were pushed back slightly by the sudden attack, and Luna ran towards the giant crystal warrior. She flapped her wings experimentally, and managed to get airborne, albeit somewhat clumsily. Her speed increased as she flapped.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Pon pon pata pon!” Luna collided swords first with the giant warrior. Her scimitars went right through its eye. It paid no attention however, and Luna was surprised as her scimitars were pushed out of its eye, and its eye healed over.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Pon pon pata pon!” She noticed that there was a slight glow coming from in its torso somewhere, but she couldn’t figure out how to get to it. Below her, the battle raged. The Patapons held the upper hand, but the crystal warriors began reforming faster and faster. She began hacking away at its back in a futile effort.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Pon pon pata pon!” An idea came to Luna. It was a stupid, dangerous, terrible idea, but it was good enough for her. She darted for its head, and began hacking at the thing’s teeth. By the time she got there, it was nearly on top of her comrades.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Pon pon pata pon!” She broke one of its teeth, and darted through it. She flew down its throat, and found herself in a small chamber with a large, glowing crystal in the center of it. She hacked at it desperately, and it cracked slightly. but it healed as fast as it was being broken.

*Pon pon chaka chaka!*

“Pon pon chaka chaka!” Luna held her breath for a moment before forcing herself to exhale. This next blow was going to be it. Around her, the walls were beginning to constrict, making the room even smaller, and liquid crystal began to drip from the ceiling.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Pon pon pata pon!” Luna roared as she swung her weapons straight into the crystal. The crystal broke, and the warrior around her began to disintegrate into dust. She quickly cut the ceiling above her apart.

*Pon pon pata pon!*

“Pon pon pata pon!” The warrior fell as Luna flew out. She landed quickly behind her comrades. Kami nodded at her. The rest of the crystal warriors disintegrated. The Patapons cheered at another victory.

“Good job,” he told Luna. But as he said that, the dust began to swirl and gather into a single place.

“I think we should go now,” he said. He quickly beat out another command.

*Pon pata pon pata!*

Pon pata pon pata!” Everyone ran as quickly as they could, getting out of sight of the palace in record time.


Kami and his troops marched wearily back into camp. Some of the Patapons were carrying hats. They all dropped what they were carrying, however, when they saw Dox sitting by the fire pit near the throne. He looked up when they approached.

“Hey guys,” Dox said, nonchalantly. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

“Hey Dox,” Kami said. “That was a really tough battle, let me tell you. Freaking things kept coming back from the dead. Had a few losses.” He gestured toward the hats.

“Wow, that’s gotta suck,” Dox said. “Oh, and here. Had to punch your Celestia in the face AND the horn to get it back. Did not like doing that.” Dox threw his token to Kami, who was surprised when it actually hit him. He caught it reflexively after it pinged off of his forehead.

“Well, that’s strange,” he said, carefully examining the die. “I assume that this is your token?”

“Yep, pretty cool right?” Dox said. “Has a galaxy in it and everything. DM’s been trying to tell me that it’s the galaxy that has my Earth in it, but eh, I don’t believe him. Plus, it’s purple! Oh, and it seeps magic straight from the Aether. So, yeah. But cool, right? If ya ever need me, ya just have to roll it!”

“Nice!” Kami said before saying, “Say, do you want to see the reason Patapons don’t fear death?”

“Uh, sure…” Dox said. “Kind of an odd thing to transition to, but sure. Afterwards, maybe you can tell me what your token is so I can keep an eye out for it. I’m kinda having a wedding soon, and I’d like all my friends to be there.”

“Sure. I would enjoy that. And you guys,” he pointed to the Patapons. “Bring the hats of the fallen to Mater.” The Patapons picked up the hats, and walked to Mater. Two Patapons with shovels quickly dug a hole by Mater big enough to get all the hats in. All the hats were dropped in the hole, and the hole was covered with dirt. Then something amazing happened. Lights swirled around the largest of the branches, making their way to the trunk. When they arrived, they merged. Then, out of the stump-like branch, a Patapon emerged with a popping sound. The revived Patapon rejoined his comrades as it happened again. Once for each Patapon.

“Damn,” Dox said, stunned. “Dude, that’s amazing. Um, now about that token of yours.” Kami grinned.

“It’s a white drum. Just beat it and I’ll come. Plus, from the one other person like us I’ve met, I think it may have a sense of humor about when it arrives.”

“Well, sounds like any other token I’ve seen,” Dox said. “Anyways, I should be getting back to my world. I’m kinda getting married soon, so yeah. Oh, speaking of that, how’d you like to be a guest?” Kami grinned at that.

“Sure. But I’ll only bring Meden with me. The others... Well, that would end badly, I think.”

“Sounds like fun,” Dox said. “Now, if you could send me back, that’d be very much appreciated.” Kami looked perplexed.

“How do I do that? When I came back to my world, I went through a jury rigged portal.”

“Really now?” Dox said. “Well, sounds fun. But there is a way to send people back. Like, for example, for me you’d say, ‘Dox, our contract is complete’. That pretty much works for all Displaced.”

“Alright then. Dox, our contract is complete.” Nothing happened. Dox looked confused. “On another note. Want to try using my portal?”

“Well, I mean… Sure.” Dox said. “I could always get DM to open a portal-”

Can’t find the world for some reason. Looks like it’s WAY out there in the multiverse. Or at least it’s far away from ours. I mean, I have you, but I can’t really open a portal without finding the world itself, the voice of the DM intoned.

“Great. Looks like I have no choice,” Dox said. “Alright, where’s this portal of yours?” Kami grinned, and led Dox to where the portal was. It was like a cave mouth, with green swirls spinning around.

“Well, do you like it?”

“Dude. This is pretty cool,” Dox said. “So, how does it work?”

“Well, usually when someone summons me, it kinda leaves a message here and pauses time between our worlds until I accept or reject the call. Then if I accept it, I just walk in along with my escort, and I arrive where I’m going. How it’ll work for you... No idea.”

“Yeah,” Dox said. “Well, nice knowing you. See ya if I somehow make it back to my world.” Dox then stepped through the portal. There was an audible ‘pata’ and then the sound of Dox screaming ‘OW!’ before the portal ‘blinked’ for a second, then returned to normal.

Author's Note:

Crossover with DJ A String's The Dungeon Master of Equestria.