• Published 23rd Dec 2014
  • 8,946 Views, 411 Comments

The Equestrian Chronicle - Souldrainr



Slain by his best friend, Andrew Detmer now finds himself in a world of myths and legends made reality. A world where the Apex predator of Earth is but a candle compared to the raw power held by the dragons and almost god-like entities of Equestria.

  • ...
30
 411
 8,946

Chapter 4

Author's Note:

Not sure how to feel about this chapter, mostly just my own inexperience. I can only get better right?:twilightsheepish:

As always, pm me any corrections.

"What do you think those two are talking about in there?" asked Twilight as she splayed her ear against the door.

Celestia enveloped her pupil in her golden aura and pulled her back to her seat next to the door. "Well," the alicorn started, "if my sister is not currently trying to explain our reasoning for the drastic actions we have taken, then I can only imagine she is discussing with him whatever it is she has chosen to keep from us. Whatever it is she found within his mind... There aren't any raised voices at least, so that is a fairly good sign."

Twilight got up from her seat and trotted a few feet away from Celestia. "Well I'm sure Luna must have a good reason for her silence, it might be something embarrassing, or just personal. Who knows!? Maybe Andrew will end up telling us anyways."

Celestia sighed, "I certainly hope so, I just wish there was some way to-" her ears perked up at a sudden idea. "Twilight?"

"Yes princess?"

"There are already rumors going around about Andrew's involvement in the storm's resolution correct?"

Twilight looked at her teacher with an upturned brow. "Honestly it's all but royally confirmed at this point, dozens of pegasi saw him appear from the storm's center as it was dissipating. I hear Equestria Daily already has a speculative article about the strange new creature. They're claiming he's some sort species of flying hairless diamond dog-monkey hybrid." She had to stifle a giggle. Now that she thought about it he does kind of look like a hairless monkey.

The white alicorn pouted slightly and looked down, as though thinking deeply.

"He really does look like a cross between those two species... she regained her composure with a slight shake of her head. "Well since it is too late to keep him a secret, I believe I have an idea on how we can introduce him to the world properly but I will need a while to prepare it," her horn glowed golden as she materialized a piece of parchment and quill.

"I should probably get Rainbow Dash over here, after she saved him yesterday she made me promise to let her know when he wakes up. I'll be back in a few minutes princess," She began charging a teleportation spell when Celestia started to protest.

"Twilight he has only just awoken, I am not sure it would be wise to introduce him to any new faces in his understandably irritable state,"

Twilight shrugged. "Sorry princess, but a promise is a promise. Andrew is gonna have to tell her himself if he doesn't want to meet the pony who saved him.

And with that she disappeared in a flash of violet.

***

Rainbow Dash hated Mondays, who didn't? But this Monday was special you see. Mondays are when the weather teams head over to cloudsdale in order to set up the weekly schedule. Due to the unforeseen circumstances surrounding yesterday's freak storm and the rumors surrounding it's... resolution, it was decided to leave the weather alone for a few days to figure out what went wrong. And so here she was, on her favorite tree, snoozing away the morning hours...
The beauty of sleeping in.

That is of course until one is awoken by the resounding pop of a long distance teleportation spell anyways.


Pop! "Rainbow!"

"Aahhhh!" Exclaimed the cyan Pegasus. She instinctively gave her wings a forceful flap, her head colliding with an overhead branch. "Ouch!"

Twilight grimaced from her spot at the foot of the tree, "Not again" she thought.

"Buck it Twilight! How many times do I gotta tell you to stop popping up while I'm sleeping." Rainbow rubbed her now sore head.

"Hehe, sorry Rainbow. Anyways I came to tell you that Andrew finally woke up. He is in a pretty bad mood right about now and meeting the pony that saved his life might be just the thing to cheer him up.

Rainbows ears perked up. "Oh sweet! That alien looks so cool, did you see him flying! He doesn't even have any wings! And the way he blew away the storm!? Awesomesauce!" She did a few loop de loops before coming to a hover next to Twilight. "Come on let's go!"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Ok ok, and just so he doesn't have to repeat himself Let me try to explain his powers, they aren't magic so we are just calling them powers for now. He pretty much has the most advanced form of telekinesis ever heard of and whatever his power is made of, it really doesn't like Equestrian magic. That’s why when the clouds were dispersed the sky looked like it was burning for a moment, that is what happened when his power mixed with the magic in the clouds. He flies by using his ability on himself, something that is supposed to be extremely straining on a regular unicorn. Oh and be careful what you ask him, he probably doesn't want to tell a bunch of aliens his deepest darkest secrets.

Rainbow listened intently to Twilight’s explanation, genuinely intrigued. She scrunched up her nose in confusion toward the end though. "But we aren't the aliens, he's the ali-ooohhh, yeah never mind I got it" she rubbed the back of her head dismissively.

Twilight giggled. "Yes Rainbow, ooohhhh. From his perspective he went from a world where the only intelligent species is his race, to one inhabited by a bunch of quadrupeds. Quadruped means four-legged by the way."

"I know what quadruped means Twilight..." Dash said with a.deadpan look.

"You do? Wow" Twilight seemed sincerely surprised at Rainbow's statement.

"Hey! What's that suppose to mean!?"

"Nothing! Nothing, wanna see an alien!?"

"Do I!?

"Hehe, works every time."

"Wait what!?"

Pop!

***

There was a dreadful silence occupying the hospital room, the morning sunshine doing little to lift the mood.

Luna was seated next to Andrew, the latter sitting on the bed with his knees on his chest, arms wrapped around his legs.

There was a long pause before Luna spoke softly, "I understand, Andrew Detmer. The hunger for power, attention, validation. Vengeance. Nopony understands them better than me."

She tentatively extended her left wing towards the human, who stiffened upon contact. She paused momentarily, when there was no continued protest, she continued wrapping it around him.

Andrew certainly didn't enjoy being touched by strangers, but there was something strangely comforting about having Luna's wing along his back. Yet, he couldn't quite put his finger on it. Was it the softness? The warmth? No, it was something else, something more. He discarded the thought.

"How many did you kill?" Andrew asked, seemingly ignoring the embrace.

Luna lowered her head. "Hundreds, it would have easily escalated into the thousands and eventually the entire world had my sister not banished me when she did. What about you Andrew? How many would you wager were harmed during your rampage?

Andrew shrugged. "I don't know, I crashed a bus into a building, downed a helicopter, and threw around cars without even thinking about the people inside. It's less about the dozens I definitely hurt and more about the hundreds I probably killed.

"And do you regret your actions?" In truth Luna already knew the answer. But whether or not Andrew acknowledged his feelings was arguably more important. With how much of a recluse Andrew was used to being, getting in touch with feelings was something he needed to learn to properly cope with his past sins.

"Do you? He questioned back.

Luna shook her head, "Like you wouldn't believe..."

"I think I can." Andrew replied.

Luna retracted her wing and got to her hooves. "So, do you forgive me for looking into your mind without your consent?"

Andrew got up from the bed. "Yeah, I understand why you did what you did." He donned his hoodie and stretched. “If it was the other way around and a talking pony ended up in my world,” he scoffed, our governments would probably put you in a cage a mile underground and run experiments on you. I consider myself lucky that all I got was mind-raped" he smirked a bit at his own joke.

Luna grimaced slightly, he was probably right about what would happen if a pony found themselves on his planet. "Umm, thank you... Would it be alright if everypony else came back in so we can exchange some questions about each other's worlds?"

"I guess, could you also get me some food on your way back?"

"Of course,” she began to make her way to the door when before stopping, “and Andrew."

"Yeah?"

"What made you change?"

"What do you mean?

“The monster I saw in your memories thought himself superior to humans in every way, to the point of thinking them as flies. But your eyes tell a far different story. The human before me now and the one I saw are not the same. I was given a thousand years to learn from my mistakes... What could possibly change you so quickly?" She magically opened the door and trotted out, promptly closing it behind her.

Andrew was once again left alone with his thoughts. He quickly got his shoes on and proceeded to stand silently. So many questions to ponder. “I guess dying and coming back to life is a start. Then there's that dream with Matt. Was it actually real? It sure as hell felt real. What about that hallucination with Steve? Was that just me going crazy? Steve wouldn't talk to me like that, right? And what’s up with my powers here? Why exactly does it negate magic? And my reincarnation, could it be possible that this is some twisted purgatory where i’m supposed to become some sort of hero?”

No. That storm was bringing up memories he would rather keep buried, he wasn’t having that. He was NOT trying to be a hero, he was NOT going to be a hero. He flew up there and dealt with it. That is the only reason he decided to try and blow away the storm. Right? His train of thought was interrupted when he heard footsteps outside his room. Or... hoofsteps?

The door creaked opened and in came Luna and Celestia.

Celestia smiled at Andrew and said, “Your breakfast will be brought shortly Andrew, it will take some time however as the chefs are attempting to prepare something more suitable to your diet.”

Andrew nodded, “That’s ok I guess I can wait, thanks”. He was definitely hungry, but there wasn't much he could do about it other than accept the free food. Twilight came in through the open door followed by a new face… was that rainbow hair?

“Whoa dude! You’re so tall!” Exclaimed Rainbow as she quickly flew over to Andrew. "Sick clothes!"

Andrew was slightly taken aback by the boldness of this pony, who was now flying circles around him. He was not okay with this. He caught her in a telekinetic field as she was making another loop around his front and gently pushed her back until she was in between Celestia and Twilight.

Rainbow got up from the floor and put a hoof across her chest. "Hey c’mon dude, that's no way to treat the pony that saved your flank from that nasty dive you were taking. You should have seen yourself! Your face was covered in blood, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, took like half an hour to scrub it all from my coat."

"Oh, that was you? I thought I saw a blur flying towards me before I passed out." Andrew stated.

"You bet your flank all you saw was a blur!" The cyan pegasus proudly exclaimed. "The names Rainbow Dash, fastest flier in Equestria."

Seriously? Rainbow Dash? “Right, ugh, thank you for that.” Andrew scratched the back of his head absent

"Anytime! Say, you mind showing me some more of your powers!?" Rainbow asked with a wide grin. "What you did with the storm looked sooo awesome, it was like-" a velvet glow enveloped her lips, halting any further speech

"Rainbow! What did I tell you about controlling yourself?" Exclaimed Twilight, horn aglow.

Rainbow shrugged her shoulders. "Ergmf?"

Celestia saw something curious, in her short time with Andrew she didn't recall ever seeing him smile. She was beginning to worry for him, after all he had been through so much in such a short amount of time. A gruesome death, a baffling reawakening, and most of all finding himself on an alien world. But here he was watching the scene before him with a slight but noticeable smile. She was pleased to see him coming around.

"Just... let me and Celestia do the talking for a bit" Twilight said with a sigh.

"Ferrnn" Rainbow said, rolling her eyes.

"What?"

Rainbow stared at Twilight with a look that said "seriously?".

"Oh right, my bad" Twilight released her hold on Rainbow's lips.

"I said it's fine Twi, geez" Dash looked away, clearly bemused.

Andrew raised his hand and said, "actually I don't really mind showing you guys my powers, as long as you show me some more of your magic. Twilight, you said you wanted to run some tests right? Will that help figure out the connection between my powers and my appearance here?" In truth Andrew was partially reluctant to giving them information on his powers, but they were ponies. So long as he left them alone he couldn't see any reason why they would try and harm him. Besides, it didn't seem like they could if they wanted to anyways.

“See Twi? He says it’s fine.” Dash exclaimed as she pointed a hoof at the human while giving her a smug grin.

Twilight looked to Celestia, who only nodded in response.

“I believe that is an excellent idea Andrew, this way we can both familiarize ourselves with each other's abilities and possibly draw parallels between your powers and our magic.” She stepped forward until she was standing directly in front of the human. “This I promise you Andrew, we will do anything and everything in our power to get you back to your world”

“NO!” Exclaimed both Luna and Andrew simultaneously.

Rainbow, Celestia, and Twilight all looked between the human and alicorn with a mix of confusion and shock. “WHAT!?”