• Published 23rd Dec 2014
  • 8,927 Views, 410 Comments

The Equestrian Chronicle - Souldrainr



Slain by his best friend, Andrew Detmer now finds himself in a world of myths and legends made reality. A world where the Apex predator of Earth is but a candle compared to the raw power held by the dragons and almost god-like entities of Equestria.

  • ...
30
 410
 8,927

Chapter 11

Author's Note:

Proofread/edited by lunarstallion

Max Landis, writer of our beloved Chronicle movie, tried and failed to get Chronicle 2 green lit. Since the sequel is not going to be made, he has released the official script HERE. Made by the very person that wrote Chronicle, I personally consider this sequel canon and well worth the read.

"Oh, is that it?" Discord chuckled then grinned devilishly. "Seems like ponies have grown rather soft under Celestia's rule."

The draconequus hovered alongside Andrew, Twilight leading the way out of the Everfree several yards in front of them. Shortly after leaving the clearing, they found and began following a dirt path through the forest. Andrew had just finished recounting the events that had occurred in his absence.

"Well I don't see what the big deal is." Discord quipped. "Self defense is all I take from that!"

"Exactly." Andrew murmured in agreement. He couldn't understand why she would even care what happened to a bunch of mindless animals. He briefly wondered what kind of tune she would be singing if he hadn't been there to saver her, only to recall that she could have simply teleported away.

"So why didn't she." He wondered. Shouldn't that have literally been the first thing to do at the sign of danger when you were a magically endowed being!? He shook his head dismissively. Maybe she was just one of those 'people' that froze up in difficult situations. Though it was entirely possible that he stumbled upon her right before she was going teleport anyways.

After a few minutes of relative silence, Andrew recalled several questions he had for Discord. Now was as good a time as ever...

"So," He started, earning the god's attention. "What exactly is it about me that lets me, like, know when you're around?" He asked confusedly. "You called me a being of chaos, what exactly does that mean, besides the obvious?" It couldn't be magic, since that clearly didn't play well with him, but what else could it be?

"Good question," Discord replied. "When I was imprisoned in stone, I was still fully conscious of my surroundings, and could do nothing to exercise my powers. I couldn't spread chaos across this world so I did the next best thing."

"You... found Earth?" Andrew guessed, admittedly shocked. "And did something to inject chaos into the human rac--"

"Nononono" Discord interrupted as he waved the accusations away. "You're overthinking it Andrew. I wouldn't have done something as grand as systematically merging the chaos energies with an entirely alien species in a parallel dimension. That would be far too.... planned and organized for my liking."

"But I am in a parallel world then? Or dimension?" Andrew asked.

"Indeed." Discord nodded. "After the first day or so of my imprisonment, I left my physical body behind in favor of a reality that I could occupy myself in until I could free myself. Woefully limited in power, I couldn't cause the chaos I wanted, so I endeavored to seek it out instead. I simply looked for a source of chaos, and your universe lit up like the sun in my metaphorical sky. I entered it without hesitation, and was treated to the beauties that are planets of never ending dust storms, light sucking black holes, and matter spewing quasars." He sighed blissfully. "A true spectacle your universe was."

"Was?" Andrew inquired?

"Right..." Discord sighed. "As impressed as I was in the beginning, after awhile I started getting lonely. After all, what is the point of chaos if there is nobody to enjoy it but I. And you can only spend so many months riding a black hole all by your lonesome before it starts getting repetitive. The spaghettification also made me queasy, so there's that too."

Seeing the treeline ahead of them, Twilight quickened her pace, forcing Discord and Andrew to do the same, lest they fall behind. The magical glow of her inner ear yet unnoticed.

"So," he continued, "I tried to find the highest density of chaos in your universe. When I detected yet another "sun" exuding endless amounts of it, I mistook it for the black hole in the center of your universe. Without anything better to do, I made my way to it. Imagine my surprise when it was just this tiny marble of blue white and green with a striking resemblance to Equestria. Further still I narrowed my search for chaos on your world to find myself in the middle of a slaughter that I would soon find out was just another of Genghis khan's conquests. There was no magic in your universe, and I could feel it trying to reject me at every moment, but being the embodiment of chaos, and surrounded by my element, I managed fairly well.

"Was it the same as when I use my powers on magic, with the smoke?" The human questioned.

"No, not exactly." Discord clarified. "The chaos energies are far too complicated for those that reside in conventional reality, and simply considered another strain of untouchable magic by unicorns. The truth is, chaos energy and regular magic are more like opposites. Magic, for the most part, is about harmony, case and point the magic of friendship, which, if you still don't believe it, IS an actual thing here." He finished the statement in an almost mocking tone. "Chaos is just that, chaotic. I quickly realized that humans had a slightly differing version of the chaos energies than what I am familiar with, a... refined, cleaner kind of chaos, if that makes any sense. Your very universe was birthed from an infinitesimally small, stupidly dense singularity of pure chaos -it was blindingly bright, very boring, do not recommend watching- and it seems your race carries vestiges of that destructive, primal chaos within yourselves. And yet..."

So engrossed were they in conversation, Discord at some point hovering in front of Andrew, that the only indication of Twilight stopping was when Andrew couldn't help but notice the large cottage directly in front of them.

"Sorry." The unicorn stated. "Me and Rainbow have been taking turns feeding Fluttershy's animals while she's been away and, since we were in the area, I thought it would be prudent to do this now rather than having to come back later. We also need to go back and pick up the blanket and satchel I left behind."

"It's fine" Andrew said.

"Well don't keep the poor things waiting, go ahead." Discord said. When the Unicorn gave her thanks and disappeared through the unlocked door, he turned back to Andrew.

"And yet... I learned much about humans in the millennia I spent on Earth. It's fascinating really, the duality of your species. You deny your very nature almost instinctively, you seek normalcy and despise change. Always you strive for peace, yet are ready to go to war at the drop of a hat. As a species you seem to genuinely value human life, yet always try to devise more efficient ways to end it. Stubborn, yet innovating. Extremely hard-working, yet you pour that dedication into inventions that will simply make everyone more lazy. Always talking about standing United as one, yet you divide your planet into hundreds of countries, each with dozens of little states or territories of their own."

"And yet." Discord repeated. "Somehow you make it all work. No mark that guides you to your future, and yes, sometimes without such guidance, lives crash and burn. Other times, most of the time, you find your own purpose in life and occasionally accomplish great things. Thousands of languages, thousands of beliefs. Always portraying aliens as the potential doom of humanity, yet you have specialized buildings seeking them out every day of every years. It's amazing you still manage to refrain from tearing yourselves apar-bah!"

The draconequus was rudely interrupted when an envelope came from below and smacked into his face as he blinked. He snatched it out of the air as it fell.

"Magic mail?" Andrew guessed. How else would it find its recipient by itself on a windless day. Discord ripped the envelope open, inside was a plain white note that he read silently to himself.

Dear: Discy, Drewy, and Twi

You're going to be late!

Love, Pinkie and friends

"What does it say?" Andrew asked as he reached for the note.

Discord idly snapped a finger on his other hand before giving the note to the human. He eyed it confusedly.

"Just spam." Discord said happily.

"The hell is a cutie mark?" The human asked.

Discord frowned, then snatched the paper back. He eyed it for but a moment before uttering a silent "whoops," the note burst into flames in his hand, and he rubbed away the remaining ashes. "Umm, forget you saw that." He said. "And just ask Twilight."