• Published 23rd Dec 2014
  • 8,930 Views, 411 Comments

The Equestrian Chronicle - Souldrainr



Slain by his best friend, Andrew Detmer now finds himself in a world of myths and legends made reality. A world where the Apex predator of Earth is but a candle compared to the raw power held by the dragons and almost god-like entities of Equestria.

  • ...
30
 411
 8,930

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

Crossover with Chronicle. Basic knowledge of the movie's plot is highly recommended. (It's well worth a watch all on its own)

"What happens now?'" Andrew pondered despondently.

He never quite believed in life after death. That's not to say that he would outright deny the existence of some sort of God or gods, he didn't care either way. If anything, he would categorize himself as an agnostic atheist. On the off chance that there was a deity of some sort, however, he prayed that his mother would find the peace that she so desperately deserved after all these years of suffering from her terminal condition.

He was scared. If it turned out that he was wrong and there was truly something beyond this wretched game of life, what awaited him? He knew damn well that he wasn't the best person he could have been, even he wasn't blind enough to ignore that fact. He had killed people, whether he was in control of his emotions or not didn't excuse that. The truck driver he accidentally pushed off-road, and eventually into the river. The neighborhood thugs he had beat—killed?— and robbed, the gas station cashier... the bus he had plucked from the street and sent toward the side of a skyscraper in an attempt to harm the last person alive who he could consider his friend.

Perhaps... there was still something he could do to save himself?

He tried to take hold of the spear lodged through his chest by way of his telekinesis, to no avail. He just couldn't feel anything, both physically or telekinetically. It was as if he was deprived of all five senses, leaving him alone with his thoughts. He couldn't really blame Matt for having done what he did, who knows what he would have done to those cops had his cousin not intervened. He had warned them to leave him alone yet they chose to continue to threaten their better. Lucky for them Andrew had chosen to throw everyone back instead of killing them outright. He had even tried taking his anger out on every damn window in the block.

He couldn't stop himself, even if he wanted to. He was just so damn angry. At his father, Richard. That bastard had the gall to blame him for his mother's death. Him!? When all he did all day was drink costly booze during the day and go out to God only knows where at night. Then there was Wayne, the bane of Andrews existence since freshman year, second only to his father. There were no redeeming qualities about him, all he was good for was picking on Andrew just because he was stronger than...

Oh...

Unfortunately, or perhaps, fortunately, he had no time to dwell on the thought any further as he felt the unforgiving tendrils of death begin to slowly eat away at his mind. It was vaguely akin to falling into a light slumber, expect this would be a rest from which he knew he would never wake from. He didn't have much time left, If there was just one thing he could do before tumbling fully into the abyss, it would be to at least make peace with himself for failing his mother. She made him tell her that he was stronger than this. If felt almost like a promise than a statement. And oh boy was she right. He was stronger than this, stronger than everything. Stronger than any human being could ever hope to be. Yet here he was, clinging to what little life force he had left, fully aware of his imminent death.

“I'm sorry mom, this isn't what you would have wanted of me.” He though solemnly

The darkness was beginning to muddle his thoughts. He was... losing himself. He was scared, if he was even capable of feeling his lungs he would probably be hyperventilating. With what little focus -foggy it may be- that he had left, he summoned up one. last. thought. The only aspect of himself that he could genuinely consider himself to be proud of.

“I'm supposed to be an apex predator. so why is this happening

Everything went dark.

Just before everything went blue.

***

The first thing he became aware of was the darkness. He couldn't see anything, just blackness all around. However, as he slowly became more and more cognizant he began to regain his lost senses. He could feel a soft texture just under himself. A bed perhaps? It was a small one to be sure, as he could vaguely feel his feet hanging off the edge. Remembering he had to breath, he inhaled a lungful of air and took the next step.

Andrew slowly opened his eyes and was greeted by a plain, spotless white ceiling.

"No." He thought in utter disbelief. It was impossible, that spear ran him through the center of his chest. As far as he knew it ripped his heart and lungs to shreds along the way, there was no way he could have survived that.

But the repeated beeping emanating just to his right crushed any doubts he was having of his health.

"They managed to save me..." he uttered under his breath. He clenched his eyes shut, his stiff muscles straining as he got himself into a seated position on his pearl white bed.

Except he felt a firm resistance from his wrists accompanied by metallic clanking... He had been cuffed to the shallow railing that only barely poked up from the sides of the fairy comfortable mattress.

"You have got to be kidding me." He spoke stoically to himself.

The cuffs (which seemed excessively large for his frame, more appropriate for a leg than his wrist) clicked open as he more or less rattled the inside of the keyholes with his telekinesis, the cuffs now hanging limply against the metal rails of the bed. He examined his spotless wrists, from the position he had woken up, the cuffs should have been pressing up against them, yet they had no red marks to speak of. He either had tougher skin than he thought -which he doubted- or his shield had somehow activated itself while he was unconscious. He began to examine his room in greater detail.

His bed was shoved near the corner, the back against a beige wall and about three feet of space between the left side and the wall. There was an iv drip to his right filled with clear fluid, what it was he had no idea. It wasn't connected to him, and it didn't seem like it was at any point prior to how full it currently was. He chose to ignore for the time being. There was a single door located in the corner in front of him along the left wall with an open window directly across from it to his right. It had blue curtains that were swaying to and fro at the discretion of the wind coming outside, it was probably early noon if the sunlight piercing through the curtains was any indication.

He looked down and began to examine himself? All he was wearing were plain navy blue boxer briefs. And then he saw his skin.

He just noticed that all of his burns were gone, and all that was left of what should have been a decently sized hole in his chest cavity was a pale, slightly sunken circular area of scar tissue. He brought his right hand up and took hold of some of the flesh, kneading it between his thumb and index finger. It felt dry and rough, leathery almost. He silently hoped that it too would heal over as well as his burns, which may as well have been healed through stem cells, since the rest of his body was spotless. Along the edge of the circle were a few pieces of dried blood, as if it was only just starting to heal. He left it alone, not wanting to interfere with the healing process any further.

He reached around his back to see if there was a similar scar.

It took all but two seconds of searching to feel the same rough texture on his back.

Andrew scrunched his eyebrows together in thought. Perhaps he had been in some sort of coma for awhile, and that the reason he had healed to this extent? Or perhaps one of their gifts was some sort of accelerated healing factor? He quickly discarded the thought, They would have noticed such an obvious perk if it came packaged with their telekinesis. And a coma would fail to explain the dried blood, or the relative sameness of his hair length as he remembered it. But what sort of hospital is capable saving someone from being impaled through the chest? He knew that stem cells could do incredible things to burns, practically reversing all damage, but a hole through the chest?

No hospital on Earth could possibly hope to treat that kind of wound unless this was no ordinary hospital? The cat was out of the bag, the world knew of his powers, there was no way he would be admitted to a regular hospital so easily. So perhaps he was taken by the government to some sort of secret base? No no no, that was ridiculous, no competent government would be content with leaving him only cuffed to a bed and near an open window.

Andrew's train of thought was put on hold as he adjusted his position to lean on his right side. Looking downward he noticed a duffel bag on the floor right next to the bed. It looked exactly like the one he used to rob the gas station. No, it was the duffel bag he had used, it even had some scorch marks across the already black surface from the gas station explosion.

Now Andrew was genuinely confused, this room was too casual to be some sort of FBI holding facility, but he also couldn't believe that he was in a regular hospital. Yet whoever was in charge felt comfortable enough that they had left him his duffel bag.

Swinging his legs across the bed, he planted his bare feet firmly on the cold, white marble floor and stood up. Surprised at the lack of muscle atrophy, he discarded the possibility of a coma. He wasted no time in grabbing the bag and placing it on the bed. After unzipping it he flipped it upside down to empty it of all its contents.

There was no money in the bag, just clothing, specifically his clothing. He gave it a few last shakes for good measure, a pair of sneakers being the last to fall out, which then proceeded to roll off the edge of the bed. Again, they were his.

Perhaps someone was trying to help him break out? Matt maybe?

No, that's crazy. He could easily just fly out of the open windows. So the only reasonable explanation would be that the "hospital" staff know that he is dangerous due to the handcuffs, but not to what extent.

He had way too many questions and no answers.

It was about time to seek some out.

"Hello!" he bellowed into the room, hoping the noise would bleed out into the hallway.

Silence.

"Great." He sighed.

Andrew quickly began changing into his clothing. Included in the bag was go-to attire, dark grey jeans, light grey t-shirt, and his favorite dark grey -essentially black- hoodie. Someone who knew him had to have brought the clothing, as the last thing he was wearing were his tattered bandages and a hospital gown.

He didn't even want to contemplate what they wanted to do with his paranormal body while he was unconscious if it wasn't done already.

Just as he was preparing to make his way to the window and make his exit, he heard voices from behind the closed door. He approached it cautiously, staying away from the rectangular window so as not to be seen.

"Princess Celestia has already been informed about the situation so we can expect her arrival from Canterlot fairly soon." He heard a male voice say. "As for the biped, It's safe to assume that he is sapient what with that hospital gown of his, as well as that satchel full of clothing fit for his kind. After making sure there was nothing in it that could prove dangerous we thought it best to leave it next to his bed. If we are correct and he is indeed intelligent we don't want to seem like we robbed him blind. We need him to trust us if we plan on having a civil conversation when he awakes. As for the cuffs, he was thrashing about in his sleep and we had no other way of making sure he stayed in place, hopefully, we can remove them before he wakes up. Don't want him to panic on us after all."

Who the hell is Princess Celestia? And what was that about calling him a biped and being sapient? Was he NOT supposed to walk on two legs? Was he supposed to be no smarter than a vegetable? He would have been inclined to open the door to make his presence known until he heard a girl begin her nervous reply.

"T-that sounds splendid, but I have to ask, do you have so much as an inkling of an idea of what it is? I've never seen or heard of a creature like that in all my days as a medical professional. It-I mean he looks like some sort of hairless cross between a minotaur and diamond dog." Her voice was thick with nervous confusion.

"I'm afraid not, seems that none of us have a clear understanding of what he is. All we can do for the time being is wait for the princess's arrival, she may know what he is and where he may have come from, but from the looks of it I doubt he is anything Equestrian!" He exclaimed.

“But if he isn't Equestrian than where else could he have come from?" She questioned skeptically. "Griffonstone has nothing like him and the Badlands can barely support life as it is."

Okay, now things were getting interesting, albeit even more confusing. He didn't have the slightest idea where Equestria or Griffonstone were, or that they were a thing in the first place. These doctors were also treating him like he wasn't even human. While bothersome, he could somewhat understand how they arrived at that conclusion. Must be easier to label him as some kind of monster or supernatural creature than a teenager who happened to be at the right place at the right time.

The man mentioned that this Celestia figure would be coming over soon. And from the mention of civil conversation, this princess was probably his best shot at getting some information on where exactly he was and why. The mere fact that these people didn't turn him over to the government straight away was reason enough to stay for a bit and get some answers from who he could only guess was their leader.

Growing impatient with the situation, he decided now was about the time to reveal himself.

Walking over to the tiny glass panel on the door, Andrew could see that his room was at the intersection of a T-shaped hallway, the walls were almost comically clean, like they had just been repainted.. he turned the door lever and pushed it open, overestimating the resistance the door would have, it flew leftward and bounced slightly as it flattened itself against the wall. He took a single step outside his room and turned to face the figures on his right. Except, he was only greeted by the sight of two barn animals.

Andrew stood there wide-eyed and at a loss for words.

Horses.

In lab coats.

The voices were coming from horses...

Of course. At least that answered one question. He had indeed died. Now all that was left to find out was whether he was in some very strange part of purgatory, or if waking up in some horse filled hospital was supposed to be the relatively tame beginning of hell before things got progressively worse. Another part of him wanted to believe that he hadn't died, and was instead merely hallucinating.

He hadn't seen them through the door's window as they were practically touching the wall on either side of the door. He had just barely missed hitting the mare when he opened the door, and she had to take a step back and to the left to avoid it. He was fairly confident that it was female, the pink mane against the white coat and long eyelashes definitely played a part. But there was also something vaguely human in her facial features. It was definitely strange, unlike the giant statue of horses he was familiar with, the mare only reached up to his gut.

She looked straight at him with stupendously over-sized eyes, mouth agape. He gave a similar expression before past words from his mother rang in his head.

You're stronger than this.

He pushed back the shock nervousness that threatened to overtake his mind and steeled himself before speaking.

"W-what the hell are you?" He asked bluntly, regaining his composure somewhat, but failing to keep the confusion from slipping into his voice. "And where am I?" He added.

She just continued to stare at him for a few seconds. She blinked a few times, her mouth opening and closing rapidly as if trying and failing to form words. "Uh...I...I..." She stammered.

The stallion on his right chimed in in her place, "ponies sir." Andrew turned his head to face the stallion as he continued, "we're ponies. And I take it that you are just as confused by our appearance as we are yours?"

Andrew nodded weakly, still trying to make sense of the situation. The male pony that was talking to him was caramel coated with a dark brown mane. He also didn't seem as nervous as the mare, or him for that matter. In fact, the equine doctor was smiling at him.

The talking animal was smiling at him, this was either Hell and he was being tricked into a false sense of security, or things were about to get much more complicated. For now, he thought it prudent to continue trying to figure out his situation.

"Ponies?" He replied incredulously, eyebrow raised.

"Yes, sir." The pony responded happily as if he wasn't at all bothered by the fact that he was speaking with a creature he himself stated to have never seen before.

"But... how?" Andrew pressed. "How are you talking? And what's this I hear about griffins? Where am I!?" He asked, nearly losing his cool. He was no less baffled by his predicament now than ten minutes prior.

The stallion only nodded knowingly. "I believe I can understand your confusion sir, I would likely have a similar reaction if I found myself in a place full of... I'm sorry, forgive my bluntness but what exactly are you?" He questioned.

Andrew frowned inwardly at the implications of that question.

"Human... I'm a human." He answered promptly. "Are you saying I'm the only one you've ever seen? Because if that's true then that either means..." He paused, wondering if he should continue or not. After a moment, he decided to take the plunge. "That either means I'm in some sort of joke of an afterlife, or on another world.” His tone grew more sarcastic as he finished speaking. Those were really the only two options that he would even consider. He HAD died, or at the very minimum came extremely close it. This could very well be some sort of twisted afterlife, but one thing that made him doubt that was the fact that although the burns that covered most of his body were gone, he still had a scar from the spear that killed him. For the sake of his sanity, if nothing more, he would continue to assume the former for now... Although if that was indeed the case, he was rather disappointed. No golden gates on puffy white clouds, no fiery brimstones on a sea of lava, just... ponies. Ponies of all things.

"You aren't accustomed to talking ponies... and we have never seen nor heard of anything like you." So that would make you an alien then." The doctor mused with a grin. "Hmm, I see," he chuckled heartily. "then again, I suppose Ponyville has seen stranger times. I believe some introductions are in order. You may call me Dr. Stable, I am the head surgeon of Ponyville General Hospital and was in charge of bringing you here safely upon your discovery. The shy mare over there is my wonderful assistant, nurse Redheart." He gestured to her with a forehoof.

“H-hello.” She stammered, giving him a half a smile.

Ponyville? Dr. Stable? Jesus Christ. Andrew mentally shook his head. He went from literally dying to conversing with barn animals in what felt like only a few minutes. Perhaps this wasn't a fiery Hell, and it's not like Heaven would have a use for a hospital, but alien world? He decided to just take this a step at a time. He sighed and said "Andrew. Andrew Detmer, but could you give me a bit more information on what you are? Just telling me you're ponies isn't enough. The ponies that I'm familiar with are just regular non-talking animals.”

“Oh, I would be happy to!” Redheart yelled, betraying the silent, shy nature she'd been displaying thus far. She went on to very quickly explain to him the three different pony races, how they differ from one another with their inherent magic and how they each utilized it, pegasi and earth ponies using it passively to manipulate the weather and grow food, respectively. Though what really captured his attention was her explanation on unicorns and alicorns, who could take complete control of their magic to perform extraordinary feats… telekinesis included.

Although he found the idea of magic ridiculous, he tried to keep in mind that he considered telekinesis to be equally as impossible not too long ago.

"Alright, this is all... a lot to take in," Andrew admitted. "But I'm still pretty lost, you mind if we keep talking inside?" Andrew gestured to the room behind him.

"That sounds quite alright," Stable began, "but I believe it would be best if we wait a short while. You see, we are currently waiting for princess Celestia to arrive. And nopony would be better qualified to answer any and every question you may have than her." He stated matter of factually. "No doubt she will have plenty of her own as well.” He added.

Andrew frowned. "And how long will that take?" He inquired.

"Not long at all I can assure you." A womanly voice said from around a corner.

Andrew turned and saw that the newcomer they had heard was none other than princess Celestia herself. She was noticeably taller than the other ponies, but still a far cry from a normal horse, as the top of her head only reached his chin. Celestia had large wings draped along her sides, and from her forehead protruded a long, eerily sharp, bony horn. Then there was her mane, multicolored and flowing in an invisible wind. Telekinesis maybe? Though it looked more like it was flowing underwater than in air.

As the nurse and doctor gave a brief bow, he repressed the urge to pinch himself to see if maybe this was all just a dream. Instead of following their example he looked the royalty figure in the eyes, having to look down to do so, but not so much as he had with the regular ponies. He leaned to the side, looking at the sun tattooed on her butt. “I.. ugh, take it you're Celestia?”

"You are correct." She answered with a smile.

"So are you supposed to be what passes for a horse here, still seem pretty short to me?" He commented.

"Hey! That's the princess you're talk-" The nurse started, but stopped as Celestia gave her a look. The princess didn't seem to mind the question, merely continuing her unwavering smile, making it apparent that she found this amusing.

"Pony." She answered smoothly. "Now, then, we have much to discuss. Please," she gestured to the room, "After you."

"Right." He replied as he walked back into his room and took a seat at the foot of his bed. Several white chairs somehow found their way into the middle of the room. "Ok," He started once everyone was seated, Celestia opted to stand, the two chairs on either side of her unfit to hold her... excessive frame. Redheart and Stables took their seats to the princess's left and right, respectively. "I have zero idea what the hell is going on and I need you guys to fill me in on how I got...” he examined his surroundings uncomfortably for a moment. "here. One moment I'm dying and the next, I wake up in a hospital full of talking ponies.”

He got worried looks from all three ponies before Celestia spoke.

"I see, I am sure Dr. Stable should be able to explain the situation in more detail for the both of us. The letter I received only informed me about a wounded alien creature that was discovered here in Ponyville and nothing else. I came as quickly as my chariot would take me. Unfortunately Luna—my sister—was not in Canterlot at the time, so she may run a bit la- ." She stopped short, looking disconcerted for a moment. "I'm sorry but did I hear that correctly? Did you say that you were dying?"

He made a heaving sigh, readjusting his seated position.

"Yeah," He answered in a regretful tone. "I had a spear through my chest, I remember feeling like I was dying. But right before I lost consciousness I think I saw a flash of blue light and next thing I know I'm waking up here.” He patted the bed to emphasize his point. He looked at Dr. Stable. "So? Can you shed some light on where and how you found me? You said I was injured in that letter you sent, Did you heal me with magic or something?"

The stallion cleared his throat as he began his explanation.

"Right, of course. Well, I was merely filling out some paperwork this morning when I began to hear a fairly quiet ringing noise. I thought nothing of it at first, but it started to get louder and louder before quieting again, then repeating."

Sounds an awful lot like he's describing the sound from the cave, Andrew instantly thought. Before Matt, Steve and he jumped into the underground cave with that blue crystal that gave them their powers, it was making the same noises. Maybe there was some sort of connection there?

"Even then, I ignored it still. But then it just continued to grow and grow until it felt like I had taken a needle to my eardrums!" Stable winced as he brought a hoof to his ear and scratched. "Everypony in town was able to hear it and several search parties were assembled to find out what was causing the ruckus. After about fifteen minutes of going around the area, my party discovered that the noise was coming from the town square, but we still couldn't pinpoint the exact location…” He paused, as if uncertain how to continue.

“Dr. Stables, do not leave us in suspense,” Celestia said anxiously, just as intrigued in this as he was.

The doctor looked at Andrew for a moment with a soft expression, as if to say he might not like what he was going to hear. Andrew merely nodded for him to continue.

“Well, once word had spread about where it was coming from, everypony gathered there, mostly to complain that nopony had done anything to stop it, as if yelling at each other was supposed to help. But then… something happened… I couldn't see what exactly—I don't think anypony saw— because there was a great flash of blue light right in front of the town hall along with a loud boom and minor earthquake that broke several windows in the area. Thankfully nopony was injured but...” He paused again with a grimace.

Andrew was listening intently at this point, the boom, blue light, earthquake. Yes, It had to be connected to his powers, everything the doctor was saying matched perfectly with what happened in that cave. Celestia was also giving the doctor her undivided attention. Redheart, however, didn't seem to like wherever this was heading as she became rather tense, her face taking on a tint of green.

“After the flash of light faded," Stable continued, "so did the noise. But where the light had been was… you..." He gulped nervously. "You were covered in blood.”