• Published 23rd Dec 2014
  • 8,931 Views, 411 Comments

The Equestrian Chronicle - Souldrainr



Slain by his best friend, Andrew Detmer now finds himself in a world of myths and legends made reality. A world where the Apex predator of Earth is but a candle compared to the raw power held by the dragons and almost god-like entities of Equestria.

  • ...
30
 411
 8,931

Chapter 24

Author's Note:

Edited by lunarstallion
Proofread by Jopo2010

The return flight back to Canterlot seemed to go by much faster than the trip to Ponyville, and he soon found himself flying over the gates of the city. He was flying just over the roofs of the buildings, and he caught sight of more than a few ponies looking up at him. The pegasi that shared the airspace with him kept clear of his path.

Instead of entering the castle right away, he decided to take a detour and check out the castle gardens—something that had been on his mind since the day before—on the other side of the building.

From his aerial view, the first thing that he noticed was an immense, labyrinthian hedge maze. He immediately forgot about the rest of the garden as he headed straight for the maze and touched down outside of it. The dirt path surrounding the maze was populated by stone statues at regular intervals. The statue to his immediate right took the form of an Earth pony standing in her hind legs holding a long, closed scroll. Surrounding her was an unfurled scroll that seemed to rise from the ground next to her.

He spent a few minutes examining the statue when a voice behind him caught his attention.

"Well hello there," a smooth, refined voice said.

Andrew turned around to meet the gaze of an alabaster, light pink maned unicorn. "Uh, hey," he replied.

"You must be the human I've heard so much about." She said as she eyed him up and down. The tone of her voice was both refined and effortless. "Please, call me Fleur."

Looking at her more closely, it was obvious she was no regular pony. Her body was far more skinny and lithe than the average pony. She actually closely resembled Luna, and could probably pass for the alicorn if it wasn't for her coat color and size.

"Andrew," he replied.

"It's not often I find another pony out here, most seem to take the royal gardens for granted." She paused, then continued with, "Then again, I suppose you are no pony. So, what brings you here?"

He shrugged. "I was only curious about it at first, then I saw this maze from the air and just had to take a closer look," he gestured to the hedge maze.

"Yes," Fleur agreed, "it is quite a sight. Even without wings, the castle balconies provide quite the view by themselves."

"Andrew!"

They both turned to look back at the castle to see Luna gliding towards them. As she touched down she tucked in her sizeable wings. "Greetings Fleur," She nodded to the unicorn.

"Hello Luna," She replied. Andrew noticed that unlike most ponies, Fleur didn't bow. He noticed that Luna was carrying a brown satchel on her right side. She caught his gaze and opened the satchel with her magic, removing a black, leatherbound journal from within. The edges were trimmed with silver thread, and the leather was embossed with stars all over the cover and back. on the center of the cover was a lunar crescent made of what seemed to be white crystal. The moon was surrounded by what could only be onyx in the shape of Luna's cutie mark.

"I figured," the alicorn started as she hovered the journal over to Andrew's waiting hands, "that you might want something to chronicle your journey through Equestria."

Andrew grasped the journal out of the air. He ran his fingers across the cover, feeling the gentle grooves of the leather under his fingertips, as well as a smoky hiss as he felt the smooth surface of the onyx. He hadn't had a proper birthday or Christmas in years, yet he had only been in Equestria for two weeks and he was already getting lavished with gifts he wasn't sure he deserved.

"Thank you." He said sincerely. What else could he say? What else should he say.

"You are very welcome," Luna replied. "I know how much you enjoyed recording your life in the past few months, but, "She looked at Fleur for a moment before returning her gaze to Andrew, "our cameras are nowhere near as advanced as yours, so I made do with what we have."

"It's perfect," Andrew replied.

"May I?" Fleur asked.

Andrew nodded and held the book out as the unicorn took the book in her pink magic. She seemed to appraise it as it rotated in her magic. She smiled, returning it to him and said, "it's beautiful."

"Thank you," Luna replied. She then passed over the small satchel to Andrew, who placed the journal inside.

"I should probably go see how Chrysalis is doing," Andrew said as he placed the satchel over his shoulder.

"Ah yes, the changeling," Fleur started. "We went from being besieged by an army to celebrating Cadenza and Armour's wedding in the span of a day." She chuckled, then stopped abruptly when she noticed the serious expressions on their faces. "Did I say something wrong?" She asked.

"You go on ahead, Andrew I'll explain things to Fleur and will be on my way to your rooms in a bit."

He nodded and exchanged a quick goodbye with Fleur before heading to his room.

When he arrived at the balcony, the first thing he had noticed was that all the curtains were drawn, which probably meant that the changeling was still asleep. He silently opened the sliding glass door and gently pulled apart the curtains.

Standing next to Chrysalis's sleeping form was a royal guard who looked up at the sudden light entering the room. Above the changeling's head was large spear wreathed in gold raised above her head. The stallion yelled something, but Andrew didn't give him a chance finish.

"Chrysalis!" He screamed as he swiped at the air with his right hand. The spear sizzled in useless protest as it was flung against the far right corner of the room. She jolted upright just in time to face the stallion as he tried to yell something but was stopped when he was flung through the air. He hit the opposite wall next to Andrew's bed with a loud thump and let out a pained groan. He fell to the floor next to the other bed with a thump. She threw the covers off just as the door opened. Another guard entered the room and saw his companion on the floor. He instantly shot a beam of fiery energy at Chrysalis, who reacted with a blast of her own. They collided in midair, sending a flurry of sparks through the air.

Andrew was about to dispatch the second guard when the first, who was concealed on the other side of his bed, poked his head up and shot a golden blast of his own towards them human. Seeing the whirling ball of violent magic hurling towards him, he flinched and held his hands up on instinct. The ball dissolved into harmless smoke about a foot away from him, but he could still feel the searing residual heat in the air. His eyes began to water from the sudden rise in temperature, and he cursed as he was forced to clear his eyes.

When he was finally able to open his eyes again the first thing he was was Chrysalis's bed on fire, the flames obfuscating her own struggle. He didn't have the luxury to clear the flames and check, however, as he brought his focus back to the stallion in front of him. the first guard was about to let loose another blast, his horn already charging in preparation. With a forward thrust of his hand, he pushed the bed that the guard was using as his cover forward. He screamed in pain as the heavy frame shot up suddenly then lowered again, an audible crack snapping through the air. The bed didn't stop until the guard was trapped between it and the wall. With the first guard taking care of, Andrew took the moment of respite to glance back and push his arm forward, all the glass shattered outwards at once, the curtains fluttering violently from the invisible force. Hopefully, that would get someone's attention.

Andrew smothered the still-weak flame that was trying to consume the bed and blew away the smoke. Chrysalis and the second guard were in the middle of a back and forth magical duel. The first thing he saw was a flurry of sparks flying off of The green barrier in front of the Changeling.

The guard was already preparing another shot, but instead of releasing another charged shot of magical power, his horn only emanated hissing smoke.

Seeing her opportunity, Chrysalis ran up to the guard while yelling, "hold him down!"

The guard crumpled to the floor, visibly straining against his invisible bonds as his horn continued to smoke uselessly.

Chrysalis bent down over the guard and opened her mouth before biting into his neck, she held there a moment before pulling back. Andrew could see a clear, greenish liquid drip from her long, reddened fangs. She used her prehensile tongue to lick her fangs clean before spitting to her right in disgust.

"W-what was that?" Andrew asked. He could definitely feel the adrenaline pumping through him, he hated the feeling. His heart was thumping furiously in his chest and he was sweating.

"Something to make him more compliant." She snarled.

The guard was lifted from his position on the floor to hovering in the air with his hind legs below him. His struggling was already beginning to slow down as her venom began to take effect.

"What's going on!?" Someone shouted from outside the room before three guards entered the room in quick succession. They saw their fellow guard held aloft by my Andrew and understandably raised their spears. "Let him go, you monster."

A groan from their right brought their attention to their comrade trapped between the bed and the wall, two of them rushed over to help, one of them called out, "Flare!".

The sound of crackling glass made them turn around to see Luna trotting in from the balcony. She was looking around the room, examining the destruction they had caused.

Andrew let the guard he was holding up crumple to the floor.

Luna trotted over to them before stopping, a stoic expression on her face. She met the eyes of the human, then Changeling. She looked over to see the guards move the bed and pull away a bruised and battered stallion with a mangled leg.

She trained her gaze back to Andrew and Chrysalis while she motioned for the guard still raising his spear at them to lower it.

"What happened here?" She asked in an even tone that demanded an answer.

"That guy," Andrew said as he pointed to the guard whose broken leg was being tended, "was trying to kill Chrysalis in her sleep when I got here."

"H-he lies," the injured guard groaned. "The human's gone crazy, he's a monster."

Andrew was about to yell his innocence when Luna stopped him. Her horn shone and she removed the white crescent moon that occupied the peytral she wore around her neck. She placed it on the floor to her left and waited as it pulsed white. Not three pulses passed before a bright flash of light above the object nearly blinded anyone that was viewing it directly. Celestia stood there facing her sister and immediately took in her surroundings.

"I'm sure he will be more than happy to answer your questions," Chrysalis said as she stepped aside and gestured to the drugged guard. Andrew moved as well, standing to her left.

"Are either of you injured?" Celestia asked the pair once she had examined the state of the room.

They both shook their heads.

She looked down to the guard who met her eyes passively. "Explain everything," she commanded.

And so he did. He told them everything. He explained how they tricked the guards that were assigned to Chrysalis and Andrew's doors into leaving their posts on 'Celestia's orders'. How they wanted to do this the night before but became aware of the many-layered barrier spell in place. It was only now, in the middle of the day and with the absence of Celestia's protection that they could carry out their plan.

As the stallion spoke and his companion was taken away on a stretcher, Andrew was busy packing his things away, which didn't go unnoticed by either princess, but they stayed silent for the time being.

There was a long stretch of silence after the guard finally finished. Celestia pondered the situation carefully.

"It's treason then." She stated.

"W-what!? No" The guard protested. "That damned monster took the mind of our captain, tried to take our city! I would have been doing the world a service by—"

"Enough," Luna commanded. "Not only are Andrew and Chrysalis honorary Equestrian Citizens, legally they also double as diplomats for their respective races. They are under the protection of Equestria. Under the protection," she trotted forward to stand next to her sister, "of us."

The stallion coward under their heavy gazes, and couldn't bear to look his superiors in the eye.

Luna said, "The gallows may be a thing of the past, but I don't think the dungeons alone will suffice."

Andrew looked up in time to see Luna flash the stallion a toothy grin, revealing her short but very obvious fangs. "It has been nearly a millennia since I had free reign over nightmares."

Andrew smiled upon hearing her threat, he couldn't possibly know for himself, but he had to guess that sleep was probably the only thing a prisoner had to look forward in their day to day life.

Andrew went to the bathroom to wash his face with a splash of cold water. When he re-entered the room. The guard had already been taken away, leaving only Chrysalis, the princesses, and himself.

"I'm sorry," Celestia began, "I didn't think to ward the room during the day, and it was my own guards that tried to take your life. I promise that this will not happen again, and those two guards will be dealt with accordingly."

"It's fine," Andrew said through gritted teeth as he tucked his cloak and the journal Luna gave him into the luggage. The dresser next to the bed, black with scorch marks, opened and the gold and silver scroll container flew out and in front of the princesses before tucking itself away into the waiting luggage bag before He zipped it back up. "If it's not safe in your own castle, what does matter. We're leaving, now."

He was furious. This was his fault. How could he be so stupid leaving Chrysalis alone to sleep the day away? And even if Celestia did manage to ward the room, all it would probably take is him walking right through it and that was that. If he was moving fast enough, he may not even notice it dissolve behind him. And that fight. That stupid fight that he should have been able to end before it even started...

"Thanks for everything, bye." He said. His words sounded sincere enough, but his expression no doubt betrayed his true feelings.

"Chrysalis," Celestia said, looking to the changeling, who replied with a scowl. "I understand if you want to go too, but we still need to figure out a way to sate your need for love. I can assure that you two can be under my sister and I's personal protection for next few—"

"No!" Chrysalis barked. "You've already shown what your 'protection' is worth. "The only reason I don't have a gaping hole in my cranium is because he," she pointed a holed hoof to Andrew, "got here in time to stop it. The only reason I didn't take my own life in the middle of an arid desert is because I was summoned to that ridiculous summit, A summons I accepted by the wish of my last living child. "This human has been in Equestria for how long and has already preserved my life twice."

"Chrysalis, I unders—"

"You understand nothing!" The changeling screamed. She blinked in surprise and looked down in confusion. She looked over at Andrew with a puzzled expression before composing herself again and meeting Celestia's eyes. "Ponies have only ever brought my race death, persecution, and extinction! Perhaps there could have been another way, perhaps things could have turned out different." She recalled how Kara had shared all of her love with her before she died, and how her magic seemed to try to wrap around her body in some sort of cocoon before her death brought a premature end to whatever was happening.

"Perhaps we don't need to be the way we are," Chrysalis said. "Perhaps we don't need to leech off of the love of those around us like parasites." She scowled again. "But it doesn't matter anymore, because that is all I know, and it's far too late to change. I go with the human."

The princesses were stunned silent, and could only watch as Andrew left the room with Chrysalis following closely behind.

"You need to calm down," Chrysalis told Andrew as they walked through the halls of the castle. There were very few guards about, and it seemed all the maids had been evacuated after news of the disturbance broke. "Your anger is affecting me."

"Sorry," Andrew said. The look she had given him during her exchange with Celestia is what clued him into the fact that his emotions were affecting her. "It's just..."

"You blame yourself?" Chrysalis guessed. "That doesn't make any sense, it was my own foolish idea to take a nap and assume nopony would be reckless enough to try anything in broad daylight.

"It's not just that," Andrew replied. "When I blocked that... I don't know, those magic fireballs or whatever they were, I got a faceful of hot smoke. What good are my powers if all it took was a little heat to pretty much blind me. I... I'm supposed to be stronger than that! I should have been able to take care of them the second I got there."

"And you didn't," Chrysalis stated flatly. "Let that be a lesson to keep your ego in check. You are strong, but you aren't invulnerable. More often than not, fights aren't drawn out long enough to completely exhaust one party, they only need to last long enough for someone to make a mistake and pay for it with a debilitating, if not lethal injury. That fight couldn't have lasted more than a minute or two."

A minute!? Andrew could have sworn it felt like so much longer.

"That's the adrenaline talking," Chrysalis clarified in response to his surprise. "When your fight or flight response kicks in, it's all about survival, skews your perception of time."

Andrew didn't respond immediately. Chrysalis must have been speaking from experience. He decided to change the topic.

"About what you said back there," he began. Everything she said about him saving her life... it was. As awkward as it was to have that said about him, it reminded him of the day he Matt and Steve had all flown for the first time. An airplane had rushed far too close to them and knocked Steve out of the sky, and it took everything in Andrew's power to save his life. He could still remember the painful bearhug his friend had given him as he thanked Andrew for saving him. The fond feeling he felt gave way to remorse as the life he saved was also the first one he had taken.

"I spoke only the truth, nothing more," Chrysalis replied flatly. She looked him from the corner of an eye and said, "Thank you."

"... You're welcome," he said. Sadly, he felt like that wouldn't be the first time they would have to fight for their lives.

They exited the castle, the two guards at the entrance ignoring their passing as they went off to a secluded area by the castle walls.

Chrysalis asked, "Canterlot and Ponyville are both out of the question, do you have anywhere else in mind that we can stay the night?" She gave him a moment to answer before sighing. "I figured as much, luckily I know of an area secluded enough that we shouldn't have to worry about much besides food and water."

"Where is that?" Andrew asked.

"First thing's first, I'm still not able to fly. So I want you to lift me using your powers."

"Oh, ok then," Andrew said as he lifted a palm towards the changeling. She looked down at herself as she began to rise from the ground, then she furrowed her brow before uttering a short, "Stop."

He set her down quickly but gently then asked, "What's wrong."

She shook her head. "The feeling of weightlessness, I find it nauseating. I suppose you'll just have to carry me."

Andrew's eyes widened at that. "Wait, what!?"

Chrysalis raised a brow at his reaction. "It's not that big of a deal, Andrew."

He sighed before muttering a "fine." She was only a head shorter than him, so he would probably have trouble carrying her. He didn't exactly pride himself on how often he lifted weights, which was never. He approached the changeling and was about to try and pick her up when she stopped him with an outstretched hoof.

"On your back, Andrew..." She deadpanned.

He cursed at himself, "Right, sorry." He turned around and crouched. Chrysalis got on her hind legs behind him and wrapped her forehooves around his neck. He grabbed onto her fetlocks.

"I'm not choking you am I?" She asked.

"No, I'm good," he answered. she was choking him initially, but a thin barrier was enough to alleviate the pressure from his neck.

"Whenever you're ready," She stated.

With her permission, he shot directly upwards into the sky with his luggage at a set distance behind him to his left. He was wearing neither his cloak nor his sweater, and the constant stream of wind made sure to remind him of that fact. He created a small windshield to block out the brunt of the wind to allow him to speak. "Where are heading?" He asked the changeling.

She tightened her grip on her hind legs as she pointed with a forehoof. After a moment of adjusting his grip on her, he set off in the indicated direction. He glanced down to look at the smooth, chitinous hooves wrapped around his neck. Up close, he could clearly see the holes that riddled the appendages. Then there was how it felt, all the cracks Chrysalis had from her injuries before gave him the impression that her 'skin' would be more shell-like in texture. Instead, it proved to feel no different than normal skin, though it was almost unnaturally smooth.

"What are you looking at?" She asked.

He looked the right to see Chrysalis had craned her neck over his shoulder to see what had captured his attention.

"Just the holes on your legs," he answered. "Are they natural?"

"Yes," she replied. "All changelings are born with them."

"Cool," he commented.

"Pardon?"

He looked back at her and saw that she looked thoroughly confused.

"What?" He asked.

She looked at him curiously before saying, "most ponies see them as some sort of disfigurement."

"Really? That's weird, they look kinda... I don't know... badass?"

He heard her chuckle behind him before saying, "I'm fairly certain that you are in the minority in that opinion, and that makes you the oddity. On another note, head to the right and get closer to the ground, you'll see some large ruins in that area over there."

Andrew did as he was told, and less than a minute later he lowered himself in front of the ruins situated within the Everfree Forest. He crouched down and Chrysalis got off his back and immediately made her way up the cracked stairs and through the open double doors of the castle. He followed after her, leaving his stuff behind at the entrance.

"This is where I had my hive stay in the days leading up to the invasion," She said. "With any luck, there should still be a few dried rations inside."

As he followed behind he noticed that portions of her wings seemed to be starting to taper off as they finished healing. But they also seemed to be creating natural holes and healing around them. When he asked whether or not that was supposed to happen, she only nodded. He didn't even want to ask how the holes in her hair were possible.

Sometime later, after collecting the moderate amount of dried foods left behind by Chrysalis's army, they made their way just outside the entrance to the ruins to eat under the setting sun.

When Andrew swallowed another bite of tasteless jerky, he asked, "There's something Celestia told yesterday..."

The changeling's long, thin ears perked up at his voice. "What did she say?" She didn't look up from her food as she replied.

"Personally, I think this whole 'magic of friendship' thing is ridiculous, but I was pretty sure magic didn't even exist before coming here so I don't exactly know what to think about it."

Chrysalis stopped eating and looked at him. "Don't exactly know what to think about what?"

"Celestia had the idea that maybe you could survive off of 'friendship' instead of love," he made air quotes with his fingers, hoping the foreign gesture would be self-explanatory enough to convey his doubt. If not, she would certainly be able to read the tinge of disgust he felt at even uttering the phrase.

She partially closed her eyes and glanced up at the night sky. "I've never heard of a changeling subsisting off of anything but love. Even if it was possible, making 'friends' hasn't so much as crossed my mind since I was a naive hatchling.”

"What happened since then?" Andrew asked.

"...I grew up," Chrysalis replied harshly.

Andrew didn't press any further.

“Do you have any water in there?” Chrysalis asked, gesturing to his luggage.

He shook his head. “There's a pot and pan in there, as well as two cups and two plates.”

She sighed and said, “Alright, take them out and follow me, there’s a river near here. I’ll be able to clean the water with magic.”

After he collected them, they set off through the treeline with the objects floating behind him. After a few minutes they arrived at a fast moving river at least thirty feet wide. On the other side was, according to one of the books Twilight had given him, a manticore. It raised its head from the water and gave them a curious look before continuing to drink, but keeping its gaze trained on them.

Seeing Chrysalis ignore the manticore, Andrew did the same. She took the large pot and filled it with with the water, then set it down on the grass between them. Her horn glowed green as the water did the same.

“There,” she said as she cut off her magic, “It’s safe to drink.” She laid down on the grass and scooped some of the water with a tin cup.

After the manticore left, they shared a few minutes of silence under the starry sky before a yawn from Chrysalis prompted them to make the return trip to the ruins.

“Uh oh,” Andrew said as he rummaged through his luggage.

“What?” Chrysalis asked, her hoofsteps echoing along the cobblestone walls of the dilapidated castle as she trotted towards him.

“There's only one sleeping bag in here.” Andrew answered as he took out and partially unfurled the dark purple bedroll.

“Oh, is that it?” Chrysalis said. “That’s fine, I’m used to sleeping on the floor anyways.”

He finished unfurling sleeping bag. It turned out to be a fair bit larger than his own bed back on Earth. “It’s fine, you can use if you want.”

Chrysalis looked from him to the extra large sleeping bag, as if debating whether or not to accept the offer. She shrugged and said, “Well, if you insist.” She tucked herself into one side of the bedroll with her face away from him.

He glanced around, looking for the least uncomfortable spot to sleep in. Unfortunately, there wasn’t anything but the cold stone ground.

“Ya know,” Chrysalis began, earning his attention. “This thing is big enough for two with room to spare.”

His apprehension got an instant response.

She rolled her eyes and turned back around with a sigh “Do whatever you want, I’m going to sleep.”

He really needed to do something about his awkwardness. He got down and entered the other side of the bed with his back to the changeling. Hopefully, Chrysalis will be healed enough to set off westward in a day or so.

He noticed a momentary yellow glow from within the coin purse he left on top the luggage. He closed his eyes. It probably wasn't that big of a deal, it could wait until morning.