• Published 23rd Dec 2014
  • 8,931 Views, 411 Comments

The Equestrian Chronicle - Souldrainr



Slain by his best friend, Andrew Detmer now finds himself in a world of myths and legends made reality. A world where the Apex predator of Earth is but a candle compared to the raw power held by the dragons and almost god-like entities of Equestria.

  • ...
30
 411
 8,931

Chapter 7

In the midst of a long since abandoned city, a sandstorm rages. The rusted metal of the once proud skyscrapers now obfuscated by the swirling grains of sand. A dark hooded figure trudges across the shallow sand dunes that cover what was once well paved asphalt. The incessant sound of grain against glass permeated across the dry landscape. He pulled the hood of his tattered black cloak ever lower over his face, despite being safe from the elements within his invisible sphere.

After making his way around yet another felled building. The human finally arrived at his destination. Before him was the last scene of his life, or rather, previous life? In the sandy clearing, surrounded by similarly buried streets on all sides but the back, where a building stood, were about a dozen police vehicles, each covered in dead overgrowth and sand.

Slowly, he closed the distance to the center of the clearing, wherein a green statue awaited him. The carved stone depicted a sort of tribal man, his right hand missing from the wrist posing as if to finish off a downed beast. Between the human and the statue was... himself. Or rather, his burned, bloody corpse, pierced from the back by a spear firmly stuck in the ground, still tightly gripped by the disembodied hand... Andrew formed a fist and tsked in frustration. The irony of the scene was not lost on him.

Every night since the incident in the cave, he had not yet failed to lucid dream. He didn't care for the why, he just took it as another perk of whatever that thing did to his brain. Alas, all he wanted now, was to forget it all, something not even a nice rest could help him with anymore.

In his right peripheral vision, he could see a blue figure making its way towards him. Taking a wary glance, he saw that it was Luna. Aware of his immunity to magic, he wondered if that was actually her or simply a part of the dream. She seemed to be ignoring him, opting instead to survey the surroundings from within her own blue shield. He chose to stay silent, not quite sure what to say, if anything at all.

"You know," she started, "you can tell a lot about a pony from their dreams," she turned, now facing him directly. "What do you think this dream says about you?"

The human stayed silent under his cowl for a moment. Although he was not necessarily angry at the alicorn for entering his dream, he was still curious as to how she actually managed to do such. He assumed that the first time around was a simple fluke of his powers after having just died, revived, and almost immediately overexerting himself. He hoped that the ponies wouldn't take his actions regarding the storm the wrong way After all, it wouldn't do him any good to get caught up in another world with a life threatening storm going on around him. He doubted that these ponies could harm him if they wanted to, but there was no harm in getting on their good side seeing as they were his only means of figuring out what the hell was going on. Dismissing her question, he responded with one of his own, "Aren't I supposed to be immune to your magic? How are you here?"

The dark princess smirked, occasionally glancing at the corpse just a few yards away from them. "True, you do seem to exhibit such an ability. But how then, do you think, are you able to sense Discord when you should be completely nullifying whatever magical presence he is giving off?"

Andrew opened his mouth, as if to reply, but immediately closed it and furrowed his brow in confusion. "What do you mean?" He quietly demanded.

"Discord referred to you as a fellow ‘being of chaos’, which may or may not mean that humans and Draconequui are somehow related. Humans may not possess any kind of magical ability, but you do have a certain innate penchant for disorder not unlike his kind..." she paused, as if waiting for another question. When none came, she continued. "There is no denying the many parallels between our two worlds, to the point of sharing a common language as well as most animal species, mythical or not. It is not entirely out of the realm of possibility that you may be related to his kind by some non-magical means, in the same sense that ponies here are sapient and magical, where the opposite is true for yours. Clearly you are not a Draconequus, nor is Discord a human, but there must be come underlying non-magical connection that factors into your ability to sense him."

Andrew walked past his limp, hanging body to take a seat at the statue's base, trying to process the information he was presented with. He couldn't deny the fact that her theory made sense, but the only way to know for certain was to ask Discord directly when he had the opportunity. It was obvious to anyone that paid any attention to Discord's mannerisms around Andrew that he knew things he shouldn't about the human. He was surprised that nobody brought it up before at the hospital.

"Ok, I guess that makes sense..." He nodded before looking the alicorn in the eyes. "Putting that aside though, You still haven't answered my question? Shouldn't you not be able to enter my mind? And for that matter, how did you even look through my memories before?" He asked firmly.

"Oh? Do you think that dreams actually occur in your mind?" She replied. Before he could say anything she continued, "Just as how our worlds seem to share similarities, so too, it would seem, does the dream realm. It is a place only accessible through restful sleep, a reality that, although greatly influenced by the minds of those who enter, is not entirely grounded in magic. As for how my spell was able to pierce your defenses, it was not a spell at all. I was merely using my natural connection to the dream realm to enter yours. As such, and because dreams are so deeply connected to the mind, I merely used it as a means of accessing your memories in a matter much less complicated than an actual spell. How I was expelled from your dream in the manner that I was, I still do not know, everypony believes that you used your powers to cancel out what they believe to be my magic, but that is not true. Something occurred in your dream that I have never experienced before, almost as if the dream realm itself was advocating my expulsion, which is absolutely impossible."

The human nodded silently, but furrowed his brow in thought. "So you're really trying to tell me that this 'dream realm' is somewhere we go to every time we go to bed? Even on Earth?" He asked skeptically.

Luna shook her head with a frown, "Our current situation speaks to that effect yes. Although I am uncertain how exactly your world operates without somepony to manage your dream realm, such as assisting those who have nightmares by bestowing upon them their waking minds, so as to allow them to rationally confront their fears. In some extreme situations, I even choose to personally intervene in my subjects dreams if they are having especially vivid night terrors. As for why the dream realm itself is not magical, I cannot say. Due to my natural connection with it I may enter and alter this reality as I see fit, as well as temporarily bestow the same power to others without ever needing to tap into my reserves of mana to do so, which is exactly what has led me to believe it mustn't be magical in nature at all. Of course, there is no way to tell for certain without studying it. For obvious reasons, doing such a thing is impossible from the waking world, and woefully unreliable in this one without real instruments."

Luna took a step back from Andrew and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, they were shining a blinding white, her irises hidden behind the iridescent glow. The raging gale began to slow to a gentle breeze, eventually coming to a stop. There was no time to take in the now visible ruins of Seattle, however, as the world quickly melted away into a blurry haze. Andrew brought his left hand to his eyes, shielding them from the annoyingly murky sight.

When the world came back into focus, he and Luna were in a brightly lit clearing in the middle of a forest. Turning his gaze upwards, he took in the sight of a most breathtaking display. It was as if someone had taken the black, barren, light polluted sky he was so used to seeing, and dipped it into a sea of stars before draping it back over the world. At the center of the canvas was the largest, most luminescent full moon that he had ever laid his eyes on. The moonlight it reflected was more than sufficient for perfect visibility in the night. It was like something straight out of an astronomy documentary.

“This is amazing,” he uttered. “You'd be lucky to see half a dozen stars back on my world, the city lights block them all out.

Luna blushed slightly behind him, unprepared for the compliment. “I- I’m glad you like it. Manehatten, as well as Los Pegasus share a somewhat similar phenomenon with my sky, but I can't even begin to imagine an entire world in such a state," she shook her head. "Truly a shame... But onto more important matters. You should be receiving a letter tomorrow with some fairly urgent news, but I may as well ask you now," she stated.

“Oh yeah? What is it,” he curiously asked, now giving the alicorn his undivided attention.

“Well,” she began, “You are only human in Equestria.”

“No shit?” He replied sarcastically.

She rolled her eyes, ignoring what somehow sounded like a curse. “You didn’t let me finish. Seeing as how you are the only one of your kind, you are currently considered a diplomatic representative for your entire race, while at the same time, as far as the law is concerned, the last of your kind.”

Andrew rolled his eyes,“Ok, I’m not really the last of my kind, and I don't really follow politics, but I guess I understand the logic behind that. But so what? I’m not going to go around the world attending meetings for the rest of my life if that’s what you're about to suggest," he stated adamantly.

Luna chuckled, "Oh no no no! That would be most absurd," she said, waving a hoof dismissively. "Through your status as a diplomatic representative, you will be allowed to travel anywhere in Equestria free of charge should you decide to use a train or carriage, as well as a sizeable discount at inns and taverns across all nations where you may rest and eat during the travels that you wish to undergo. As for politics, my sister and I do ask that you attend a meeting this coming Saturday consisting of several of Equestria's nations, it being Tuesday when you awaken in the morning if you were not already aware. I understand if you don't wish to attend, but It was scheduled almost immediately after news of your arrival reached the other world leaders and It is extremely important that you, being the very subject of the impromptu congregation, are present. Seeing as you wish to expand on your knowledge of Equestria, the experience would certainty benefit you greatly.

Andrew nodded slowly, "will there be a dragon?"

"Pardon? Luna replied, taken by surprise by the rather random question.

"Is there going to be a Dragon?" He repeated.

Luna nodded, "Y...yes, the dragon lord of the current era, Da'kethitus will be attending the congregation. Might I inquire as to why you wish to know?

Andrew bore a look of confusion upon hearing the strange name, but quickly recovered with a shrug and slight grin. "Well, dragons are probably the most popular mythical creatures we came up with... or have, since it turns out you guys or real. Anyways, Unicorns and Pegasi here have magic, can talk, and bend their legs at weird angles. Fancy? Sure, but other than that you guys are pretty normal as far as ponies go. Other than your magic, you're not very exciting, but a real life dragon? That's something straight out of a fairy tale! I've always liked em, even have a few drawings hung up in my room."

Eyebrow raised, Luna smiled, "For somepony who just recently died, you sure seem to be quite lively.”

Andrew’s smile faded, turning into a solemn expression, “y-yeah, I guess so,” he heaved a sigh.

“Andrew? Are you okay-”

“Yeah,” He said before she could finish. Raising both his hands, he gazed at his palms. “I just... I couldn’t help her… I was too weak…”

Luna trotted over to his left side, her wing draping across his back. “You are not weak, Andrew. Far from it in fact. You cannot blame yourself for your mother’s passing.”

“But I wasn't fast enough!” he snapped back, removing himself from her grasp with a shrug. “If I had only gotten the money faster, I would have been able to get her the medicine before she…”

“No," Luna stated quietly. "Your mother was very sick, as tragic as it was, if she truly passed mere hours before you awoke, there isn't much that the medicine could have done.” She sighed, her voice taking on a slightly more firm tone, “and even if the medicine could have saved her, how do you believe she would feel if she ever found out what her son had chosen to do for her sake?" The human looked away, his expression becoming unreadable. He knew exactly how his mother would react. She would probably be ashamed of him. She continued, "I understand how you feel Andrew, more than anypony else, that may be the only reason you are still as free as you are, had it been my sister instead of me that scanned your memories, she would see you only for the monster you seemed to be. But I know that wasn't the real you. You were in agony, your father made your trust in your friends falter, you were cross with him for putting you through such misery, for putting the blame of your mother's death on you. I understand where you are coming from. I blinded myself with rage and nearly plunged the world into -what would have been- inevitably fatal darkness simply because I thought nopony appreciated me… Make no mistake, your actions were absolutely loathsome, and you paid for your crimes with your life. However... for some unknown reason, something saw fit to bring you back to the realm of the living, in a different reality at that."

Andrew glanced back at the alicorn, she bore a stern look as if preparing to scold a child. Yes, he knew what he did was terrible, after the fact anyways. Dying had a way of clearing one's mind, of putting things into perspective. Despite that fact however, he would gladly do it all again if he knew it would save his mother. Right now though, he was confused more than anything, what with robbing a store one moment, dying the next, and now dreaming alongside some sort of lunar deity in an alternate reality...

"I shall not see you squander this second chance, Andrew," she hissed at him.

He said nothing in response, only doing his best to avoid her gaze. After a few seconds he mumbled, "I'm getting up, I need to... I don't know. Clear my head..."

Luna tilted her head in confusion, "what? Ponies cannot simply decide to wake up on a whim."

"What makes you say that?" Andrew asked simply. What's supposed to stop them from waking up on their own if they so choose? He was genuinely curious, most of the time when you don't even realize that you're dreaming you simply wake up at what seems to be a random moment, but willing yourself awake was a simple enough task during lucidity that the idea of such an action not being possible was quite confusing. Well, confusing enough anyways, that he chose not to simply ignore Luna and awaken, but postpone the action at least until he was provided with a reasonable answer.

Luna's left ear flicked downwards. Andrew wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean, but guessed it was a sign of.. uncertainty? Or perhaps confusion at the question presented perhaps?

"Well," she began, "I am able to gift ponies with temporary lucidity, or even grant it passively by simply entering their dreams as I am doing now. However, it is not possible for ponies to sever their connection with the dream realm at will unless either I, as the sole being capable of manipulating it, do so in their stead or they awaken naturally. Of course, their rest can also be disturbed from the outside." She narrowed her eyes, more so in thought than in hostility. "You spoke of waking yourself just now with unflinching confidence, are you... actually able to do so?" She asked, a hint of weariness lacing her voice.

Andrew nodded. "Yeah, I guess with all the magic and whatnot here things are bound to work differently. Back on Earth though, anyone can just randomly become lucid while dreaming, or even train themselves to become lucid more often than not. I would occasionally lucid dream, wasn't too common though, like once a week at best. After I got my powers, I can't explain why or how, but I'm always lucid when I sleep. My head hurts when I overexert my powers, so obviously they have something to do with my brain, and whatever that thing did to give me my power..." Andrew shrugged, indicating his own uncertainty of his answer to come. "One of the byproducts must be lucid dreaming I guess, no other explanation for it."

"So you mean to tell me... that every human has the capability of controlling the dream realm as I do? That their is no entity that polices it in search of nightmares or other such happenings!?" The blue alicorn began to grow visibly distressed, her eyes beginning to widen more and more as she spoke, her voice doing the same. "That every single human can freely pass through the dreams of others without any care in the world!?" Surely such a thing should not be possible, such a reality would quickly devolve into complete and utter chaos!

Andrew stared at the alicorn, a dumbfounded expression on his face. "Ughh, nooo." He replied, as if the answer was obvious. "You go to sleep. You dream." He shrugged. "And sometimes, whether by chance or practice, you become lucid. That's it. No invading other people's dreams or anything like that."

Luna was trying to wrap her head around what the human was telling her. The idea of so many beings all having control of the dream realm was mind boggling. Let alone the fact that it filled her with unease. While her sister had her sun, and she herself had her moon, only Luna had other extraordinary abilities, that being her absolute dominion over the dream realm. It was just as much a part of her as the very moon and stars themselves, for an entire race to so easily be able to bend it to their will... No, best not to dwell on it, not now anyways.

"I... I see," she hummed softly, "morning is approaching, I will leave you to your own devices, farewell Andrew."

"Yeah," he replied without looking at her, "bye."

He took a moment to think back to the race that Twilight spoke about, the one that attacked them just recently. Changelings, they were called, if his memory was correct. He wondered what they were actually like, what they could be doing now... he couldn't quite get them out of his head for some reason. He would have to press Twilight further for more information on them, or ask for a book about them if they had any.

On second thought... what would be better than talking or reading about changelings, than speaking to one himself.