• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 4,487 Views, 275 Comments

I'm a Lich and I know it! - Dream Seeker



Winter Aurora is a Lich. Not an evil, nasty Lich, but a Lich all the same. She can't help who she is, and all she wants is to meet a pony who can look past her rotting exterior to see the beautiful mare she is on the inside.

  • ...
15
 275
 4,487

Consequences

Sombra stared at Winter seriously. "Do you understand what you've done, even on accident?"

"Yes," Winter muttered sullenly.

"Do you really? I think the consequences are more wide-reaching than you would think."

"I accidentally turned one of my only friends into a freak like me!" Winter's voice rose. "Is that enough for you?"

"It's worse than just that. She was the first pony visitor to Calypsion, and now she's mutant. That will have a negative impact on anypony who would want to move here, as well as harming all of Equestria's opinion of us. Also, we're going to have to keep her away from everybody until she can control her new powers well enough to be around us without accidentally empaling us. That means visiting her is 'Immortals Only' for now, and Snowflake is no immortal."

"Oh," Winter's voice was quiet.

"We have no idea how long it'll take for her to be able to control it, but until then, she cannot be around Snowflake. This is neither good for her, Snowflake, or relations with Equestria. This is an ambassadorial nightmare!" Sombra shouted.

Winter tried to sob, tried to cry, but her broken body wouldn't let her. Instead she fled, running from the mistakes she'd made. In a flash, she teleported outside of Calypsion's walls, ignoring Sombra's shouts.

Sombra leaped out of his chair. Perhaps he'd been too harsh on her. It wasn't safe out there, he needed to find her before she hurt herself! He had meant to scare her into being more careful with what she said around the Staff, not to scare her away from Calypsion!

How could such a small mistake, cause so much heartbreak...


It was a clear day in the north, and Life Seeker appreciated the good weather while it lasted. After all, snow and wind wasn't good for his mechanical systems. They would degrade much faster in harsh conditions, and his back-up plan to the mechanical body was not yet completed. His optically integrated HUD was already equipped with a map of the surrounding area, but it was't as detailed as he would have liked, so he had decided to take a trip to the surrounding area to add to his archives. To his surprise, he saw what appeared to be the skeleton of a filly in the distance. Immediately, his Combat-Assistance systems came online, magnifying his reaction time in an attempt to determine what had killed and presumably eaten the filly's body without displacing the bones before it could do the same to him. Such an enemy would truly hold a terrifying battle with him. Survival was everything, and he could not afford to make a mistake. Slowly, he approached the body, noticing as he did that there appeared to be magic animating the corpse, but it didn't appear to be moving. A robotic hoof crunched loudly against the snow in a carefully calculated maneuver, causing the skeleton's head to whip upright. The pendant around her neck... It was the Lich! It had to be!

"Hello. My name is Life Seeker. I mean no you no harm. What is your name? What are you doing here?" Life Seeker asked, cursing mentally as his synthetic voice made him sound cold and uncaring. That was definitely an oversight he planned to fix as soon as possible.

"I-I'm Winter Aurora," the Lich said hesitantly. "I... Uh... I'm out here for... Lich stuff! Yes, Lich stuff!"

"What sort of Lich stuff? Perhaps I could be of assistance? I have been wondering about you, you know, I would like to know how you became a Lich, if you were willing to disclose such information."

Strangely, the Lich seemed to shake a bit at that. Perhaps the experience was linked to a traumatizing memory? "It was a magical accident, actually,"

Life Seeker quickly noticed that she had diverted attention away from the initial question to the last question, giving more evidence to the conclusion that the Lich was not here for the reasons she had stated. Disappointment filled him at the prospect that it could have been a magical accident that caused her Lichhood, but he was unsure if he could trust her on this matter either. All of these thoughts were explored within a fraction of a second, and he replied to her with no noticeable hesitation.

"How interesting. As you can see, my own attempt at immortality is not nearly as functional as your own. I wish to replicate whichever accident you made to become a Lich."

"The circumstances of my creation cannot be replicated," the Lich stated with certainty. "I would also advise against trying."

Life Seeker's emotion-detecting systems were not nearly as advanced on a skeleton as they were on ordinary, living creatures, but his best guess told him that she was afraid of something, and even sad about something. Something was off here, and after considering all possible reasons for the emotional instability, Life Seeker arrived at one conclusion.

"When did you become a Lich?" Life Seeker asked.

"It's only been a few years..." she murmured. "Only a few years since it began..."

Life Seeker caught the second sentence, but only because of his artificially augmented hearing. It had not been intended for his ears. "Ah. I see. It really was an accident, then."

"Yes, it was. I-I only seem able to cause accidents," another wave of sadness moved through Winter and she curled into a ball.

"Is that why you're here?" Life Seeker put another mental piece of the puzzle into place.

It took a few moments, but finally Winter spoke. "Yes. I accidentally mutated one of my only friends."

"What did you change?"

"She's been fused with ice shards, and seems to have the power to create ice and control the shards she creates to some extent."

Life Seeker was impressed. That was the sort of magic they were looking to create in R'lyeh! Those foals in Calypsion had scared off such a powerful mage? Their loss! "Why do you think that's a bad thing?"

Winter's head rose sharply. "What?"

"In the end, she's more powerful than she used to be, isn't she? She's not going to die, and she's better off in the long run! Where I come from, a pony would thank you for it!"

Winter appeared to be considering Life Seeker's idea. It was true, after all, that she had become more powerful...

An alarm blared at a sudden, new source of Dark Magic, and Life Seeker noticed Sombra approaching distantly. He knew he had to hurry up before he was noticed. Sombra wouldn't be happy about this conversation if he knew about it. "Listen, I have to go. Think about what I've said, but tell nopony about it. If they got angry at you for helping them, there's no telling what they would do if they knew we had been talking. If you ever feel like you're under appreciated at Calypsion, come find me. I'll leave a sensor beacon here to tell me if you come back to this location, and I'll come as soon as I can. If they won't appreciate your gift, I certainly will. I hope to meet you again, Winter Aurora."

Life Seeker faded into the distance, moving as quickly as he could safely push his mechanical body. Even if the war effort failed, Winter Aurora could be a very useful fallback plan. He only wished he could be certain whether or not he'd influenced her enough.


"Winter!" Sombra shouted as he saw her, dropping the tracking spell. "I'm sorry!"

Winter ran into Sombra and they gave each other a comforting hug. "I'm sorry I ran away, too, but I'm feeling a little better now."

"I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you. I just wanted to help you understand that you have to be careful with your words while holding your staff, and that if I tell you to do something, I usually have a very good reason."

"I understand. I'm so sorry! I promise I'll be careful in the future, and listen to you," Winter said, but unbeknownst to Sombra she could feel a corner of her mind doubting her actions. Life Seeker was right, it only really benefited Ice Storm in the end. Why was he so upset?

Author's Note:

Some Life Seeker/Winter Aurora development! Still haven't decided if Life Seeker is going to end up an antagonist or a protagonist yet. Well, you all could still influence the decision!

Not sure if Winter Aurora is going to join the Dark Side or not, either, even temporarily, or if she's going to remember herself on her own.

Winter: 2
Twilight: 0
Sombra: 0