• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 4,485 Views, 275 Comments

I'm a Lich and I know it! - Dream Seeker



Winter Aurora is a Lich. Not an evil, nasty Lich, but a Lich all the same. She can't help who she is, and all she wants is to meet a pony who can look past her rotting exterior to see the beautiful mare she is on the inside.

  • ...
15
 275
 4,485

A Place To Call Home

Winter snuck around the building. This time, she had been keeping her presence a secret. She was listening in on other ponies' conversations, trying to get information on anything.

"I heard that there's a village full of freaks." one stallion muttered to the other one. "There's even an undisguised Changeling living there."

"I'm calling you out on that one. There's no way anypony would live with one of them!"

"No ordinary pony, but they aren't ordinary ponies. They've got a Windigo too, and a Seapony. All things that no reasonable pony would live with. Basically a town of rejects."

The other pony laughed, and Winter stepped out of the shadows. One look at her face, and they were both silenced.

"Where is it?" Winter asked coldly.

"W-where is what?" the first one stammered.

"The town where they might even accept somepony like me."

"You're not a pony, you're a Lich!" the second protested.

"Exactally," Winter muttered.

"I-it's over that way," the first pointed. "You should see it after an hour's trot."

"If it isn't, I'm coming back," Winter said in a low tone of voice. "You don't want that."

With that parting shot, Winter turned and trotted in the direction the first pony had pointed to. This could be the one place she was accepted. She strode over the frozen grasslands, hoping that the rumor was true. A little over an hour later, she saw a village in the distance. She increased her speed, sprinting towards the village that appeared to be surrounded by a decently-sized wall. Several different creatures stood at the top of the wall, guarding it against anything that could threaten their way of life.

"Halt!" a voice boomed out. "State your intentions!"

"It's just a filly," another guard said. "No threat."

"I'm a Lich," Winter replied. "I heard rumors of a settlement that accepts the world's outcasts."

The guards' postures changed immediately. Their stern faces dropped into friendly smiles, and the gates opened.

"Welcome, friend, to Calypsion," the booming voice said. "My name is Sombra, and I used to be an evil tyrant who was corrupted by a dark artifact. I am glad to see another who has tampered with the dark arts."

"It was an accident, really." Winter said as she entered, and the gates closed behind her. "I hardly know anything about the dark arts."

Sombra walked down the stairs leading up to the wall, smiling gently. "Well, that's something we need to change. Any Lich worth their salt should at least know how to use dark magic, if not use it regularly. I can teach you, if you would like."

Winter grinned. "I'd love to learn more magic! I only know five spells so far."

Seeing no horn, Sombra raised an eyebrow. "Impressive, considering your lack of a horn. How long have you been a Lich, and what do you use to cast your magic?"

"I only became a Lich just last year, actually," Winter replied. "I use this staff to cast my magic."

Winter took the staff out of the pocket dimension, and Sombra blinked as he examined it.

"This is a finely crafted tool. Not only can you cast ordinary spells with it, but it reacts to the user's wishes, given enough emotion."

A meow was heard from on top of Winter's back, and Sombra looked over Winter's head to see Stitches.

"How peculiar, a zombie with intelligence. How did that happen?" Sombra asked.

"The staff. I wished for a friend," Winter replied sheepishly.

Sombra chuckled. "Ah, I should have known. All to often we are outcast for things beyond our control. So, I'll show you around and introduce you to some of the more prominent members of our little society here. Then, we can find a nice place for you to sleep."

"Thank you," Winter smiled. This place was looking better and better!

Sombra began walking towards the largest building. "First, we have the Castle," Sombra chuckled. "It might not be much, but it's what we've got."

The 'Castle' was made out of wood, crystal, ice, and a strange but hard green substance. Noticing Winter's confusion, Sombra explained.

"We get wood from the forests, the Timberwolves help with that, I supply the crystals through my magic, the Windigos create the ice, and the green stuff is something Changelings can make. It's very versatile, and a great building material. Now, let's meet the leaders of this little Kingdom."

"You call this a Castle, and the area a Kingdom. Is this really a new nation?" Winter asked, confused.

Sombra chuckled as they entered. "Sort of. We're not recognized, but we don't follow the Princess' orders and don't pay them tax. In return, their guards sometimes try to take over the city, but we're more than capable of defending ourselves. Come, our leaders are just up there," Sombra pointed to a set of stairs.

When they reached the top, Winter's jaw dropped and she stared. There were three thrones: One held a Timberwolf, one held a Changeling, and one held a Windigo. Seeing her reaction, they chuckled.

"Never gets old." the Timberwolf muttered.

"I bet this one's never even seen a Changeling or a Windigo!" the Changeling replied with a laugh.

"Excuse them." the Windigo spoke to Winter. "It just amuses them greatly whenever a pony walks into this room and expects all of the leaders to be ponies, only to find that ponies aren't even represented in the leadership."

"This little Lich filly's name is Winter." Sombra told the Windigo with a grin. "I thought you'd get a kick out of that."

The Windigo howled with laughter. The laugh sounded eerily similar to a griffon's claws scraping across a chalkboard.

"Well hello, little Winter," the Windigo grinned. "My name is Winter."

"Hello Winter," little Winter replied, chuckling a little. "That's pretty funny. My full name is Winter Aurora, so if you want I can be called Aurora instead."

"My full name is Winter Wind," big Winter replied. "I think I'll call you little Winter. I like it better."

"Okay. So I should call you big Winter?"

"Sure. Calling me Wind makes me sound like an old fart, both figurative and literally," big Winter put in, bursting into laughter once again.

"Sorry about him, he's a bit of a goofball," the Timberwolf said. "My name is Birch. All Timberwolves are named after some type of wood."

"I don't like telling people my name, so I just go by Grandbuggy," the Changeling said, grinning. "We've all got our quirks, and I think you'll find us more approachable than the Equestrian royalty."

Little Winter grinned. "The best type of royalty is the type who is willing to speak to all of their subjects, not just the ones they like best."

"Come on, we've got to take you to your temporary housing until we make you a permanent house," Sombra said.

"Okay. Bye, see you later!" Little Winter waved to the royalty.

"There's an open spot in the hotel for newcomers, that will be your for now. At the rate we've been growing, we might need to expand the walls," Sombra said as they left.

"Why not establish another city?" Winter asked. "A city can only grow so big, but if you create another..."

Sombra smiled sadly. "It would severely weaken this city. However, if we do get enough creatures, we have plans to create another four settlements. We would actually need a guard corps for that, but it would put our capital under a lot less pressure."

"Well at least you've thought of it."

"We're here," Sombra announced as they reached the apartment. "No cost for those who recently moved in."

Winter looked around, grinning. "It's perfect!"

"Glad you like it," Sombra replied, smiling as well. "I'll see you tomorrow, then. Don't worry, I'll come get you in the morning. Breakfast is on me, too."

Sombra left the room, leaving Winter to herself. She gazed around once more at the walls of wood, crystal and ice, her smile widening.

"Home sweet home," she whispered as she lay down on the bed, quickly drifting into a comfortable slumber.

Author's Note:

Things will get a lot funnier once she starts interacting with other ponies/beings who are different and can't help it. I just decided, on a whim, to add 'nice Sombra' to the mix. Yes, I'm pulling the 'magical artifact corruption' card. No, I don't regret it. Changelings are being added as well, and Windigos. And Timberwolves. Who are sentient and can talk.

Poll: Comment if you want Winter Aurora to be called 'little Winter' or 'Aurora', or get another nickname entirely! I'll state whichever wins the poll next chapter, and if it's a new nickname, whoever first suggested it. (I'd like a new nickname, if any of you have good ideas.)

Both Bugze (who is coming in next chapter) and Grandbuggy (who is Bugze's literal grandbuggy) belong to DWC (Down With Chrysalis). Thank him for such amazing characters!