• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 4,478 Views, 275 Comments

I'm a Lich and I know it! - Dream Seeker



Winter Aurora is a Lich. Not an evil, nasty Lich, but a Lich all the same. She can't help who she is, and all she wants is to meet a pony who can look past her rotting exterior to see the beautiful mare she is on the inside.

  • ...
15
 275
 4,478

Stitches

Winter entered the graveyard of the next town she came across. All she could think about how much she had wanted a friend, and how that was taken away from her so quickly. Her staff glowed, all on its own, and Winter stared. It hadn't done that since...


Winter came running home, the medium-sized stick with strange inscriptions tucked under one wing.

"Mom, look what I found!" Winter grinned, running across the street. Only a few steps in, a carriage clipped her face, sending her flying.

"Winter!" her mother screeched from across the road, sprinting to him. "Are you alri..." her voice faded when she saw her face. The left side was smashed in, and a lot of skin was torn from her face and hanging off.

"M-mom?" Winter gasped, nearly choking on her own blood. "I hurt. C-can you make me better?"

"I-I'm sorry." Winter's mom sobbed. "I'm so, so sorry."

"A-am I going to die?"

"Y-yes." Winter's mom sobbed once more, hugging her little filly. "I'm so sorry." she whispered.

"I don't want to die." Winter protested. The stick she was carrying slipped out of her wing's grasp as she grow weaker. As Winter protested her death, it lit up and levitated itself above Winter.

"W-what is that thing?" Winter's mom asked fearfully.

"I don't know." Winter rasped. "I found it in the forest, I was going to show it to you. You always know what strange artifacts are. It's what you got your Cutie Mark for!"

"T-that's a Mage staff! It allows non-unicorns to cast spells!"

"Why is it levitating above me on its own?" Winter said, growing weaker.

"I don't know." Winter's mom whispered as Winter's eyes closed. The staff above grew brighter and Winter's body began to levitate in its aura, and the pendant that Winter's mom had given Winter glowed a bright red. It pulsed steadily, and Winter's body lowered. She opened her eyes.

"Mom? I feel better now." she said, as her mom looked at her in horror. "What did the staff do?"

"L-lich!" her mom said. "You're a Lich!"

"What's a Lich?" Winter asked curiously. "Is it like lint?"

"A Lich is an undead creature who can cast spells, and is immortal as long as its phylactery isn't destroyed."

"So I'm an immortal now?"

"A fake immortal! Liches don't compare to the real immortals."

"I can cast spells now? Cool!"

"You're undead. The only way to cast a spell like this is black magic." Winter's mother spat. "Now go. Before I change your mind and destroy your phylactery."

"B-but mom, that would kill me!"

"I'm not your mother anymore. You're already dead. Now leave."

Winter sobbed as she stumbled away through the snow, not really caring where she went. There was no point anymore.


Winter stared at the glowing staff angrily.

"Gonna ruin my life again?" she spat. "How could things even get worse than they already are?"

The staff glowed brighter, and the ground shifted under one of the smaller gravestones. One furry, half-decomposed paw rose from the ground, and Winter stared curiously. In a few moments, the cat was completely out of the ground, and the staff stopped glowing and fell to the ground. Winter quickly put it away in its pocket dimension and stared at the cat. It was moving without her controlling it!

"You're gonna be my pet." Winter announced, petting its head. "Now, to think of a name... How about Stitches?"

Stitches meowed enthusiastically, and Winter chuckled. "I'll take that as a yes. Hop on."

Stitches hopped on Winter's back, and Winter grinned. Okay, maybe it wasn't as good as a pony friend, but she had her very own pet! Winter hollowed out the area under one gravestone, apologizing to its former occupant, and covered herself up. It didn't feel very comfortable, but it was the only way she could safely sleep.

Author's Note:

The cat, Stitches! I got this idea from people who commented on previous chapters, and I liked it. Now Winter has a pet, and you get to see Winter's 'death'. This chapter is shorter than the others, but then again it's just an introduction character chapter.