• Published 2nd Nov 2011
  • 8,533 Views, 339 Comments

My Little Serial Killer: Murder is Magic - TheGentlemanCreeper



Dear Daymos' descent into different shades of grey and the ponies in his life.

  • ...
37
 339
 8,533

Chapter 9: Trust

I grabbed the knife and looked at the thing in front of me. Far too big to go into a bag in one piece. No, I had to make it smaller.

Just like the rest.

Pressing the knife against it, a few skilled motions, and its sectioned into small, manageable pieces.

Nice and neat.

From there, it’s into the bag and tied up, ready for its final destination.

“Wow Daymos, you’re really good at this.”

I let out a little hollow laugh and put a twist tie around the bag. “It’s just getting in the groove of things, that’s all.”

Dropping the large, frosting covered knife into the glass of water, I grabbed the last cake that needed to be cut and got back to work. It was the last one of a once-massive platter of simple, yet gaudy little cakes made for customers to grab during the lunch rush.

Is that supposed to be a flower or a pimple made of frosting? I thought as I dragged the knife through the cake. Well, it’s in pieces now.

It was enjoyable work to say the least.

Anything involving a knife is, now that I think about it.

Though, Pinkie Pie talked almost as much as she usually did.

Almost.

Which was the problem.

Every now and again, she’d trail off mid-sentence and stare off into space — or worse — me.

Her large, unblinking eyes were burning a hole into the side of my face. I had no idea what was running through that head of hers, but it couldn’t be anything good.

“Is this everything, Pinkie?”

I followed Pinkie’s eyes as she surveyed each bag of pastries, slices of cake, cookies, and other confectionaries, all ready for tomorrow. “Looks like it,” she said with a satisfied nod. “You saved me sooooo much work Daymos. You have no idea how grateful I am!”

“Oh, it’s nothing, Pinkie,” I said with a roll of my shoulders. “I asked if you needed help and offered a hoof. Nothing special, really.”

I was lying, of course. I don’t do anything unless it can benefit me in some way or another.

Pinki-

Pinkamena and I planned a little get together at around 10-ish tonight. I figured if I gave Pinkie Pie a ‘helping hoof,’ she won’t be as busy and might just end up going to bed early tonight.

A glance at the clock and I smiled.

4:25 p.m.

“I mean it, Daymos.” Pinkie Pie said with a warm smile. “I mean, like, I’d be working until closing if you didn’t show up. It’s so hard to do prep work and watch the front counter and do all my deliveries.”

I waved a hoof. “Don’t mention it.”

Grabbing hold of my apron and giving it a little tug and toss onto the rack, I started my way towards the door.

“I got to get going,” I said as I motioned towards the door. “I told Scootaloo I’d walk her home after class this morning. I’m glad I could help, Pinkie and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Pinkie waved a hoof and smiled so wide it looked painful. “Take care Daymos! See ya!”

One more smile, a nod, and I was off. Once out of sight and earshot, I let out a long sigh and let my shoulders sag.

Now that was trying, I thought as I worked my way towards the schoolhouse. Here comes the fun part.

Ever since the incident with Rumble, Cheerilee has been on my case more than ever about keeping an eye on her and talking to her about her feelings.

Which was about as effective as it sounded.

With the schoolhouse in sight and Cheerilee standing in the doorway, I switched masks around and went from helping a friend to a responsible guardian.

“Well, good afternoon Ms. Cheerilee,” I said as I walked up to her. “I’m here to pick up Scootaloo. Do you know where she is?”

“Pick her up?” She asked, confusion painting her face.

I started to feel my stomach drop.

That’s not a good sign.

“Yeah...” I said rather slowly as I tried to get a peek inside. “I told her we’d stop by the market and she could pick out something.”

Cheerilee’s brow furrowed and she started shaking her head. “She’s not here. When class ended, Scootaloo was one of the first out the door. Maybe she forgot?”

I rolled my shoulders. “I... don’t know. I’ll head home and keep an eye out for her.”

“Well... Alright. Let me know if anything comes up, alright? I worry about her, sometimes.”

“I will. Have a nice day.”

My mask was slipping and the look on Cheerilee’s face let me know that, but it didn’t matter.

Something was off.

Scootaloo didn’t strike me as a forgetful child, especially when I was practically dangling a treat in front of her for acing her last quiz.

Some would call me being nice, but I thought of it as insurance. Motivation for her to do just as good on the next quiz and keep Cheerilee happy.

That’s why it struck me as odd, especially when she seemed rather excited to get some of ‘Mr. Laffy’s awesome taffy’.

I already came down the main road and I didn’t see her. She must have taken another way back home.

There was only one other path you could take from the schoolhouse and that cut through part of the woods and down a road that takes you past Carousel Boutique before ending up on Stirrup Street and my house.

I started my way through the well-worn path and felt several memories come flooding back.

I was the only one who really took this path home. I never knew why the other kids avoided it, but it worked to my advantage.

It was quiet and I could actually think and get away from it all.

Looking up at the treeline, I couldn’t help but smile. I got to know these trees quite well.

Especially when a rapist started stalking the path at night, hiding in the bushes and jumping out when those three mares least expected it.

The look on her face when I pounced on her from the trees above was-

“I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!”

My ears perked up. I knew that voice quite well.

“Oh, come on blank-flank! What’s wrong? You gonna cry?”

That voice I didn’t know, but it didn’t take a genius to figure out they weren’t the nicest.

Ponies make the mistake of walking like they usually do, but slower when they don’t want to be heard.

It sounds loud and gives you away.

You need to bring the back of your hoof down first, then let the rest of your hoof follow.

Part of me wanted just to do the adult thing and break it up, but I also didn’t want to suffocate Scootaloo. When I was her age and going through the same thing, I didn’t want anypony’s help.

Finally getting within sight, I saw two fillies walking briskly behind Scootaloo — one pink with a lavender mane and another with a grey coat and lighter grey mane.

“I’m not crying, now just leave me alone! Seriously, why do you keep bugging me?!?”

Scootaloo was looking angry. She was grinding her teeth and I could see her body starting to tremble.

“Cause you’re a violent little blank-flank that likes to hurt ponies, that’s why!” The grey one yelled out.

“I don’t like to hurt ponies,” Scootaloo spat out as she tried to walk away. “Just leave me alone, I-”

“Maybe that’s why you’re mommy left you, huh?”

Scootaloo stopped in her tracks, her back still to the two fillies following her.

Ooof. Low blow there. That little pink filly’s asking for it now.

The Whisper hadn’t said anything for a while, so I had to ask. What do you mean?

Can’t you feel it? Cause I do. This is gonna be fun.

I had an inkling what it meant if Scootaloo’s last performance with Rumble was anything to go off of.

I needed to step in now.

“You crying now, you little blank-flank?”

I started walking forward and opened my mouth to call out, but before I could even get a single sound out, Scootaloo turned on her heels and gave the little pink filly a look I knew all too well.

A snarl and bared teeth, every muscle in her body tensed, and a look in her eyes that made the pink filly’s face drop. She finally realized she wasn’t staring at a classmate anymore.

In the blink of an eye, Scootaloo tackled her bully and sat on her chest, hooves wrapped around her throat.

From the back of my mind, I could hear the Whisper start to applaud. Look at that form. And in a moment, she, a pegasus, has overpowered an earth pony. We might just be able to make a killer out of her yet...

“Hey, what’s going on here?!?” I yelled out, getting onto the main path and getting all three’s attention.

Scootaloo’s grip loosened and she whipped around to look at me in a mix of shock and horror. That gave the pink filly enough time to wriggle free and bolt towards Ponyville, leaving her friend standing there in shock.

I walked up to Scootaloo first, who looked like she was going to shake to pieces at any second. She didn’t cry. She didn’t make a noise. She just sat there on the ground with a million-mile stare pointed right at the dirt.

“I...I...” The grey filly started to stammer and take a few steps back. I leveled my eyes at her and she froze.

Just like with Sweetie Belle, the little grey filly’s instincts were telling her to run from the thing in front of her. From the thing that smells of a mix of strong chemicals, shampoo, with a metallic smell she just can’t place.

“Get out of here.”

Four words and that’s all she needed before bolting towards town as fast as her little legs could carry her.

I waited until she was out of sight before finally letting out a long sigh. A few steps off the path and I found myself sitting under one of the many trees I found myself under after school.

I didn’t say a word. I didn’t do anything except sit there and wait.

Five long, dreary minutes later and Scootaloo finally found her voice.

“H... How much did you see?”

“I walked up after the pink one’s-”

“Diamond Tiara,” she corrected.

I nodded slowly. I knew she looked familiar — spoiled daughter to one dirty business-pony.

“...after Diamond Tiara’s comment. I was about to say something, but then... Well, you know the rest, I think.”

Quiet again. Just myself and an utterly stone-faced filly who tried to strangle a classmate.

Did you see the look on her face? She was ready to go for the kill.

“Do... Do you hate me?”

I took a deep breath. I had a feeling where this was going. “Why would I hate you?”

She turned to me, her jaw going slack. “I-I-I lost it! I mean, first I punched out Rumble because of a stupid joke and now, I tried t-t-to...”

Aaaaand here comes the waterworks. Took long enough.

I let Scootaloo cry a bit, get it out of her system before speaking up. “Those two fillies give you trouble a lot?”

A single nod.

“And does what they say make you angry?”

Another nod.

“And what happens when you get angry?”

Ten seconds. Twenty. Half minute mark and she finally starts walking towards me and sitting down beside me. “I... I don't know. Before, they’d... They’d pick on me and I’d just get like, annoyed at it. Wasn’t that bad, you know?”

I nodded.

“B-But now? It just... It just makes me SO mad!” With her front two hooves, she threw them against the grass and left two deep marks.

“I’ve had all this happen to me and I’m thinking maybe things can start getting better, you know? But those two... They... They just...” Scootaloo let out another frustrated scream and slammed her hooves into the ground again. “I can’t take it!”

“And you just want to take your anger out on something?” I asked, venturing a guess. “Like, you need to just... get rid of it?”

Scootaloo turned to me and had this look of disbelief on her face. Like, she couldn’t believe that an adult knew just what she was saying and understood just what was happening to her.

“Yeah!” she cried out. “I just... Wanna make it stop.”

I let out another sigh and leaned back on the tree I was sitting under. “Well, you can’t go around hitting and hurting other ponies.”

Her ears drooped and she let out a sigh of her own. “I know... I just... I just don’t know what happened. I was so angry and I just saw red and...” Wiping her tears away, Scootaloo looked up to me and I just knew what she was going to ask.

“What happens now?”

“Well... First, we go home,” I said as I got to my hooves. “From there? I thought we make dinner.”

“And... After that?”

“I think we’re going to need to talk more about what you need to do when you ‘see red,’ but that can come later. Tomorrow’s Saturday, so you don’t have school. We can talk then.”

Scootaloo got up and started after me. “And... am I in trouble?”

This was going to be the touchy subject.

“Oh, no doubt about it.” She visibly flinched when she heard me say that. “I’m sure Diamond Tiara is going to tell her father, her father’s going to talk with Cheerilee, Cheerilee will talk with me-”

And I’ll probably ignore her.

“-and tell me to talk with you. Actions have consequences and you’ve set into motion a series of events that will undoubtedly affect your life somehow. All you can do is stand your ground.”

Scootaloo’s head hung low and I could hear her start to sniffle. “Am I in trouble with you? Am I grounded or...”

“Well Scootaloo, I already said that actions have consequences. If you and I switched places, what would you do exactly?”

“Well... I guess yeah, I’d be grounded...” She said with a sigh. “And maybe, like... Go to bed without dinner.”

I stopped in my tracks and had to give her a look. “Why would I do that?”

“Well, I, uh... I... Don’t know?” Scootaloo looked at me like I was growing a set of wings out of my head. “I thought that’s what adults did to kids who were bad.”

“Well, get that thought out of your head. I’m not sending you to bed without dinner. That’s just plain madness.”

In the quiet of the forest, there wasn’t a sound. Save for a giggling filly.

“Madness? Seriously?”

“Yeah, I mean... Why would anyone want to let another pony go hungry? That’s just cruel. No... If anything? I think tonight, you should have dinner, go up to your room and do your homework, and then go straight to bed. Tomorrow, I don’t think you should be going out and about. We’ll talk then. How does that sound?”

Scootaloo shook her head. “I don’t like it... But, I guess it’s fair.”

A little sigh of relief passed my lips. “Good. I don’t like to play the bad guy. We’re having zucchini patties. Sound good?”

“I, uh... Never had them. Are they good?”

I chuckled under my breath. “I’ve been told they are.”

* * *

Scootaloo devoured the Zucchini Patties. I figured she would.

I like to cook almost as I like to eat.

Dinner was finished rather quickly and in silence. Scootaloo didn’t feel much like talking and went upstairs, where she breezed through her homework and laid down and went to bed.

I stayed downstairs with a good novel until about 9:30 PM.

It’s show time.

I closed the Fetlock Holmes novel and placed it on the coffee table.

Quiet footsteps up the stairs and to Scootaloo’s room without a sound. Opening up the door, the curled up filly was fast asleep.

Perfect.

All I needed was a bit of insurance in case she came downstairs for whatever reason and realized I wasn’t around.

Back down the stairs and grabbing the notepad and pencil off the refrigerator, I scribbled a hasty note.

S,
Went out, be back later.
-D

Leaving it on the kitchen counter and grabbing the tupperware container with dinner’s leftovers next to it, I started towards the door and grabbed my saddlebag along the way.

You’re pathetic.

What? What could you want now?

I tucked the tupperware container with three zucchini cakes into my saddlebag, next to my black book.

You’re bringing her a gift. Admit it, you’re head over heels for her.

I shook my head as I opened the door and threw my saddlebag on.

It’s nothing. I’m just bringing her a little something. It’s what friends d-

The door closed behind me and I was left out in the street, not moving or saying a thing.

Friend.

I just called Pinkamena a friend.

I’ve never really considered others a real friend. Up until this point, I’d considered what few connections I had as friendship, but having spent time with Pinkamena? I was evaluating the worth of those friendships.

Windsor, he’s nothing more than an acquaintance, really. We don’t have that much in common and he just likes to have an ear to drone into.

Pinkie Pie, well, she tries to befriend everybody. She annoys me to no end when she tries to get personal. Again, an acquaintance.

Pinkamena though... She makes me smile. She makes me laugh. She makes me feel...

Nice.

Is this what friendship is supposed to be?

I ignored the Whisper’s words about how I was ‘growing weak’ and went on towards Sugarcube Corner.

My instructions were clear — 10 p.m. with a good five to ten-minute leeway in either direction. Knock on the basement door in the back alley and wait.

The day was winding down and anypony that had been working late was heading home now. Luna’s moon was sailing across the sky. Full moon at that, too.

Not a fan of full moons to be honest. The craziest ponies tend to come out of the woodworks on full moons.

Besides that, it makes it hard to sneak around at night without somepony able to see you.

While taking my midnight stroll through the town, I let my mind wander towards Pinkamena and just what would happen.

I was hoping we could trade a few more stories, talk some more...

Maybe even plan a murder or two. That’s what the black book is for.

When Windsor and I... Or in this case, when Windsor would talk, he’d tell me about all the biggest police headlines around Equestria and the progress of the cases. Whenever he’d tell me something that I thought was worth looking into, I’d write it down and anything relevant.

Neighpon, Stalliongrad, Mecklenberg, New Colt City, Los Pegasus... We got a lot of choices. A road trip would be quite fun. Just got to figure out what to do with Scootaloo if it comes to that.

Sugarcube Corner was well within sight. All the lights were off, the front door had the cardboard sign in the window that read ‘CLOSED’ and all the curtains were pulled.

A quick look around and certain nopony was watching, and then it’s off into the back alley. To the rest of the world who saw anything, a pony just meandered into the back alley of Sugarcube Corner and unless they were nosy little things, that would be the end of that.

There. The basement door. Two pieces of wood with metal handles.

Taking a deep breath, I reached a hoof on it and banged on it twice. Not too hard, not too soft. Just enough so that it could be heard.

I found myself counting the seconds, then came the minutes. After five minutes, the door finally opened. I was almost ready to head out when the door finally squeaked open.

Taking a peek down the stairs, I caught a flash of dull pink tail trailing away further into the basement.

I started my way down the stairs and found myself squinting through the darkness, looking for anything but in vain.

“Close the door behind you.”

Pinkamena’s voice. I looked behind me and to the moonlight funneling into the basement. “Sure. Think you can turn on a light first?”

“Sure, lemme just find the lamp.”

I reached up and grabbed hold of the cellar door and started to close it when the hairs along the back of my neck began to stand on end. Something didn’t feel right, but I didn’t know what.

Something’s wrong. Make an excuse. Get out of here. Now.

Taking a deep breath, I shook my head. We hit it off. Things are fine. I’m just being paranoid.

I closed the cellar door, careful not to make a noise.

As soon as the door closed, a click echoed through my ears and light started to fill the basement. I let a sigh loose and turned around to see Pinkamena at a table.

Like I said. I was being paranoid.

“Didn’t know if you were hungry or not, so brought you some leftovers from dinner. Zucchini cakes.”

“Oh really?” Pinkamena said aloud, her back still to me. “You cook?”

I saw a nearby table and started taking off my saddlebag. “Yes. There’s a lot of things you don’t know about me.”

A chuckle behind me and I could hear Pinkamena start to stand up.

I expected her to say something, a retort or for the conversation to go anywhere.

I didn’t expect to look over at her just as she tackled me.

Out in New Colt City, carriage drivers have been putting these special lights on the front of their carriages so they can see at night. Animals in the roads who get caught in these lights tend to freeze up and not move.

For all my skill and talent, it meant nothing against another real killer.

Pinkamena raised a wickedly long butcher knife above her head, smiling from ear to ear.

I expected a monologue. I expected her to say something. But no.

She brought the knife right down into the center of my chest, knocking the wind out of me. All I could do was stare in abject horror as I looked down at the knife, half in and half out, trickling blood around the wound.

That was it. Dear Daymos was done and dead.

“Oh come on... Don’t be such a baby,” Pinkamena finally said as she pulled the knife back.

Only for me to finally notice the knife wasn’t in my chest but collapsed in.

It wasn’t real.

I brought a hoof to my chest and felt around and sure enough, there was no wound. Just a sticky, red liquid I needed to wash off as soon as possible.

“I had this great idea after you told me that story about you scarring that stallion to death. I totally wanted to try and do it myself, but with a bit of a twist.”

I looked dumbly up to Pinkamena, whose hoof pressed in a part of the knife’s handle, only for the rest of the blade to spring out.

“I was gonna wait... But oh sweet sister above, the look on your face!” Pinkamena called out with a deep laugh. “It was soooo totally worth it!”

My whole body felt numb.

Was the Whisper actually right? Was I growing weak? I let somepony close and she could have put a knife in me and that would have been it. I would have been another clean, bloodless body in a garbage bag at the bottom of a lake.

“Well, you just gonna lay there?” Pinkamena asked, cocking her head to the side. “We got some planning to do!”

I somehow managed to nod and slowly get to my hooves. “Just... Give me a minute. Is there a sink around-” I stopped when my eyes spied the stainless steel sink in the corner of the room. “Just give me a minute to clean this off.”

Pinkamena let out a sigh. “Why are you such a neat freak?”

“Cleanliness is next to godliness,” I replied idly. “What is this stuff anyway?”

“Corn syrup, red food coloring and a few extra things to give it the right consistency,” Pinkamena replied as she tipped back in her chair. “What’s got your panties in a knot?”

Well, maybe I just saw my life flash before my eyes and thought I was going to watch myself bleed out. EVER THINK OF THAT?

“I just don’t like surprises. I’ve also almost been killed a couple of times already. Just... Please? Future reference?”

“Fiiiiiiiine...”

I could practically hear Pinkamena roll her eyes.

“The zucchini cakes are in the bag. You’ll find my book in there, too.”

After a few more moments and finally satisfied, I turned the water off.

“I do have a few ideas,” I said as I walked over to the table. “Rapist in Stalliongrad, New Colt City has a serial killer of its own, and-”

“None of these are local,” Pinkamena commented idly as she popped the tupperware lid off. “Why aren’t any of them local?”

I let out a long sigh. Figured that would come up.

“I try not to kill anypony in town if I can help it...” I took a seat next to Pinkamena, but I made sure it was at leg’s length. “Tumbler was a spur of the moment kind of thing and I didn’t want him leaving town to disappear again.”

Pinkamena clicked her teeth. “That’s another thing... You sure got an obsession with criminals. Any real reason?”

I blinked a few times. Nopony has ever really asked me that.

“Well,” I started, taking a deep breath. “It’s complicated.”

“I’m good with complicated. Hit me.”

Biting back a comment, I rolled my shoulders. “Well... I told you about my first kill and what he did. From there... It just felt right. You know, getting rid of all those ponies out there who make life harder. And weirdly, it kind of feels like... my civic duty.”

Pinkamena snorted aloud. “Seriously? Civic duty? What are you, a Colt-Scout?”

I shook my head. “No. But, just think of it this way. So many ponies out there, doing what they please. Some without any repercussions from the law, some of them wriggling out altogether. I feel like I’m doing something good by making them disappear. Like with Tumbler and the mare at Carousel Boutique.”

“Wait. What?” Pinkamena’s eyes went wide. “You mean Rarity? What about her?”

“Tumbler broke into her house after I set the bait. She was out and I made sure to break in first.” I felt myself begin to smile. “Poor bastard didn’t even know what hit him.”

Pinkamena let out a low, deep sigh that seemed to echo through my core. “Daymos, just when I thought I was mistaken, you turn around and kill a pony in the house of air-head’s best friend and no one is the wiser. That... deserves a full story. For now though? Let’s look towards the future.”

There’s that smile again.

That sly, mischievous smile that made me feel like melting. It almost made me forget she attacked me.

Almost.

“Alright... Well, is going out of town an option?”

Pinkamena shook her head. “No. I have to stay in town, just in case little miss sunshine wakes up in the middle of the night. She’ll convince herself she sleepwalked if she’s out of her bed, but things will really get bad if she woke up in a whole other town.”

I let out a sigh of my own and slumped back in my chair. “Well... This night might just turn out to be a bus-”

I stopped myself short as something came back to me. Something that was not only worth looking into but something local. And something fun.

“Pinkamena... How would you feel about tracking down somepony who staged a suicide?” I could feel myself start to smile. “I have good reason to believe they’re here in town. Hiding.”

The mare’s ears perked up.

“Well now... I’m listening.”

“It’s pretty much how I got stuck watching Scootaloo... Her mother? Honeysuckle? She was found dead in the bathtub.”

“Yeah, I remember hearing that,” she says with a slow nod. “Sounded like an open and close case.”

“Really?” I leaned in a bit. “Then where’s the suicide note?”

Pinkamena opened her mouth to say something, but the same dawning I had back that morning hit her. She blinked a few times and then sat up straight. “Wait. Where is the suicide note? I remember reading the paper. Honeysuckle was the kind of mare who paid attention to details. She wouldn’t forget about it.”

“How do you know that?”

“I sometimes have nothing better to do than watch what fudge-butt does all day,” Pinkamena said, flipping a lock of hair out of her face. “She talked with Honeysuckle a few times and came off as a real control freak.”

Well... That’s not creepy or everything. Might be the reason why Pinkie kept staring at me today.

I suppressed a shiver and nodded. “Alright, we’re both at an agreement that it’s definitely suspicious that there’s no suicide note. On top of that, there was a picture of an orange pegasus that could have been Scootaloo’s father. Funny how he hasn’t said anything yet or even tried to get in touch with her daughter.”

Pinkamena nodded slowly. “Alright, alright. I see where you’re going... You think the father killed his wife? Or ex-wife? Or whatever the hell their relationship is?”

“It wouldn’t be that far of a leap, to be honest. I figured I could do some poking around the house again. The police released the crime scene, as far as I know, and if anypony asks I can just say I’m there for Scootaloo’s things.”

“Clever. And while you’re doing that, I can see what I can dig up about Honeysuckle.”

“Wait, what?” I asked, cocking my head to the side. “I thought you had to sit backseat?”

Pinkamena giggled. “Doesn’t mean I can’t nudge her in the right direction. Pinkie will be thinking about Honeysuckle and will start looking into some things for me. Like who she talked with and the like.”

Well now. That was a useful little bit of information. Not only can Pinkamena see and hear everything Pinkie does, but she can also actually affect her actions.

This little split personality thing has gone from creepy to downright disturbing.

Taking a deep breath, I nodded slowly. “Alright then... It’s settled. I’ll check by the house tomorrow and you dig up what you can. Meet back here, same time same place?”

“Probably for the best,” Pinkamena said as she got to her hooves. With a bit of a nudge, she placed the tupperware container in front of me. “You’re a good cook, by the way. Nice to eat something other than sugar for a change.”

“Well, thanks. I’ll make sure to bring something tomorrow night as well.”

Pinkamena smiled that smile again and I felt rooted to the ground as she walked towards me. “Thanks Daymos. You’re a real keeper, you know that?”

Too quick for me to react, Pinkamena placed a kiss on my cheek, making my whole body shiver. I’d never felt more conflicted in my life.

On one hoof, she pretty much spit on me. I could feel it sticking to my hoof.

On the other, it made my legs feel funny. In a good way, that was hard to explain.

All I could do was laugh like an idiot. “I, uh... It’s uh... Nothing, really.”

Pinkamena giggled aloud and started making a way for the stairs out. “Wow, if I knew it’d be that easy to make you flustered, I would have done it earlier. You know the way out.”

I nodded slowly. “Yeah...”

“Oh, and Daymos?” Pinkamena called from the top of the stairs. “If we end up catching this guy... We’re taking him to your place. I wanna see you in action.”

With a wink, Pinkamena closed the door and left me in her basement.

Finding my composure, I gathered up my saddlebag and made my way out.

Pinkamena was just so damned frustrating.

One moment, she has me fearing for my life and wondering if she was going to kill me where I sat and the next, she has me wrapped around her hoof.

Seriously. Keep it up. There’s no way you and her are going to end up arrested, dead, or worse.

I shook my head and pushed the Whisper back.

Shut up. Sure, there was a... complication.

SHE POUNCED ON YOU WITH A KNIFE. YOU CALL THAT A COMPLICATION?

She actually tried to kill me in my own home. If she wanted to kill me, she would have. She’s got a sick sense of humor, sure... But we’ve set some ground rules. She won’t do it again.

Riiiiiight. Keep telling yourself that. Unrelated question: do you have life insurance?

With a heavy sigh and grit teeth, I pushed the Whisper back hard and started my way home.

It’s... nothing. It’ll work out. We haven’t really talked that much. We’re making progress.

I felt myself nearly freeze up when I realized a light was being cast on me and turned to its source.

“Bulk Up! Gym... Open 24/7.”

A little building with large pane windows and what looked like an overly muscular pegasus running on a treadmill.

There were all sorts of equipment, from barbells, rowing machines, heavy bags-

Wait a minute... That might just work.

Taking a step into the gym, the pegasus immediately turned his attention to me.

“I have a question... Do you sell equipment here?”

His eyes lit up and he took a deep breath.