• Published 3rd Aug 2014
  • 12,197 Views, 623 Comments

Calming Sigh-- with a Breath of Fire - Laze Around



[Breath of Fire 3 x MLP] Human becomes his favorite game character and was thrown into Equestria. After escaping Celestia and Luna, he finds out how hard it is to live for so long beyond a human's lifespan.

  • ...
46
 623
 12,197

Return of the Emperor

I wanted to run away that day, right after the disappearance of the Crystal Empire. The princesses were still fresh out of a fierce battle and adrenaline was still high. They wouldn't have been in the proper mindset to talk peacefully, especially Luna in her current state. But still I tried, and it paid off.

I introduced myself as Ryu, a dragon of the Brood, and that I merely came to the empire to help the crystal ponies. They reluctantly believed my claim when I reminded them of the aid I gave during the battle with the evil stallion. I told them not to fret about the state of the empire for it was just temporary. I saw the hope they had in their eyes as I brought them the news, but that was immediately dimmed when I told them that because of the accumulated energy gathered by the mechanism that caused the empire's disappearance, it would take a millenia or more before it returns. I warned them that the fate of the empire and the tyrant king was intertwined; that when one returns, so will the other.

So, with the a new flame burning in their eyes, they resolved to find a way to bring back the empire and prepare for the return of the evil king. They asked me to lend them my power, but I had something I needed to do. I still had to travel the lands and find a way to return to my world. I had to, sadly, refuse the two princesses and tell them that I was on a quest, a journey that I alone must travel. They asked if they could help with whatever it was that I had to do, but I could not accept their help. Being associated with royalty would only give unnecessary distractions, and there was a possibility that I had to steal whatever it was I needed to get off this world, or even go so far as to kill for it.

So no, I could not accept their help.

Years had passed since bidding the two alicorns farewell and I traveled, searched, and scoured the land of every known legend and myth pertaining about the void, paradise, nirvana, and other things associated to different dimensions or not of this world. All that time wasted with nothing to show for it.

I obtained infamy beyond the land of Equestria as the Demon Who Sought, a name that I did not appreciate at all in the slightest. I traveled using my [Warrior] form, taking advantage of its flight capabilities, and fought my battles with my [Myrmidon] form. Since the only difference with the two were the color palette of the hair, scales and other dragon features, I was only ever seen with either one form. I had to be careful as not to show myself to many, but there was hardly any choice when I needed information.

I tried to make it so that only the ones in charge of the village or town was the one to meet me. I succeeded most of the time, but some of them either had family or guards when I revealed myself. In return for the information I had to fulfill tasks and requests for them, and not many were easy or safe at the time. Some of them even betrayed me after completing the tasks that they set me to do. Those ones I had to use force to extract the information, and few of them I had to wipe off the map entirely. Them and their whole settlement.

Some places had disgusting cultures, as I've unfortunately learned. I saw some that eat the creatures that visited their settlements; travelers and tourists alike. There were those who worshiped gods of pain and offered sacrifices when they could. I was disturbed and disgusted by them and made sure to leave them as a crater afterwards when I was done with what I needed from the place.

Thus was my title as a "Demon". I was driven by my desire to go home, and wasn't always in the right mindset for betrayal and things that got between me and my goal. The villages that I didn't like were the places where I vented my frustration. I was certain that none missed them. Hopefully.

I was on my way back to the mare who helped me settle in the world after years of traveling, feeling disheartened at my lack of progress. It was then that I had the misfortune of flying over the mountain ranges of the Badlands. I heard a cry of agony and flew to the source. What I found there had been enough to send me over the edge.

I threw my hesitation in the winds and for the first time since coming to this world, I felt it.

Power

The power of [Kaiser].


I looked at Celestia in the eyes and tried to read the emotions she had over my reveal.

Surprise was evident, as I could imagine. There was also fear in them when her eyes flickered over the crowd and the Element Bearers around her. Then there was the determination to protect them.

I cast my eyes over the Elements of Harmony and raised one finger over my lips, a gesture to shush them before one of them even spoke. I then turned my attention over the silent crowd, making sure not to make any sudden movements as I remember the local xenophobia of their kind.

"Ponies." I spoke evenly, my voice echoing through the chamber as the silence permeated. Some near the front flinched as I addressed. "Please excuse me as there is something that needs to be discussed between me and the princess. Exit the doors in a calm and orderly manner as to not trample anyone."

I looked back to the princess who never took her eyes off me, but I noticed that she had taken a step forward and opened her wings fully, shielding the ones closest to her.

"If you would please, Celestia." I gestured to the guards carrying the horns. "Ask your guards to escort them out and I promise you that none of them will be harmed."

The princess glared at me as she pawed the ground. Twilight and the others were keeping their silence, but Rainbow Dash was being held back by Applejack, with Pinkie Pie having one of her hooves in the pegasus' mouth to keep her quiet.

"You don't want them to start panicking now, do you?" I asked the Alicorn of the Sun.

The princess finally took her gaze off me and looked back to her loyal subjects. Some met her eyes, but most were still staring at me with their pupils visible in full circle. She turned her glare back to me before she spoke, but her words were not addressed to me.

"Guards, have everypony escorted out."

"Your Highness..." one of them spoke hesitantly.

"That was an order!"

Everyone actually recoiled back at the force behind the princess' voice. Her usual mask of calm and serenity was nowhere to be seen as it was currently replaced by a look of angry determination. It wasn't really that surprising for me. I'm sure she remembers that I specialized in multiple targets, and that my attacks were hazardous to those unfortunate enough to be too close. In an enclosed space like this one, fatalities were unavoidable if I ever decide to attack.

"Just do as you're told." I addressed the guard. "Her highness has been really stressed for the past few days, and is now at the end of her patience, seeing that an old foe is not in his stone prison."

The guards seem to momentarily gather their courage as they turned their own glare over to me. I didn't mean to sound patronizing, but I would really rather not have some accidental deaths by my hands if things get out of control. I was simply asking politely. Was it too much to hope for them to return the same courtesy?

There was a few moments of hesitation before the guards complied. The ponies near the exit looked visibly relieved as the doors opened. I made sure that I didn't move at all from where I sat as I watched them leave. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that even the smallest twitch could send them all into a stampede. Honestly, their xenophobia was ridiculous, bordering absurd.

I turned back to Celestia and smiled in amusement as she kept her glare. It's like if I strained my ears enough I could probably hear her heart thumping in anticipation and slight relief. She and the rest of the Elements refused to move, making sure that they were between me and the crowd.

As soon as there were only a few ponies left and that there was no chance of a stampede, I raised both of my arms, sending her Highness and the Bearers into a tense stance, and swung them both to meet each other. The loud clap echoed in the halls as scaled flesh met scaled flesh. The sound had been strong enough to startle the left over ponies and make them yelp, scaring them to run the rest of the way out.

With them out of the way, some guards re-entered the room with weapons brandished and horns covered in magical aura. I regarded them silently as I contemplated their presence in the discussion. I suppose that it wouldn't be too much of a difference if some of them were present, but if they make any sudden moves against me then I would be very... peeved.

"Send out your guards, Celestia." I turned to the princess. "I'd rather not defend myself against ponies who can't even keep their hair-triggers in check."

"You have no right to demand such things, Ryu."

I took a deep breath as my heart nearly skipped a beat. It's been months since the last time someone called me by my name. Even now, I still felt some slivers of excitement and nervousness whenever someone would address me by that persona.

"Maybe not." I consented. "But would you rather have them hurt or crippled because they tried to... ''Defend'' you from someone who merely wishes to talk?"

"They will stay." she declared stubbornly.

I sighed in exasperation before flipping myself down from the throne. The princess and the Elements all jumped back in surprise, with the guards all shouting an exclamation. I landed on the seat of the throne, where I made myself comfortable just to spite the princess and the guards for being so difficult. Some unicorns took the moment to send out beams of magic my way where I simply took them all with a grunt.

"Hold!" Celestia called out.

At the end of the barrage I looked down to where the attacks hit before shrugging. They didn't have enough power behind their attacks to penetrate dragon skin, especially one of my age. Celestia didn't look surprised when I didn't fight back, it took more than a few shots to force me to retaliate, unless it was a lethal one. I remember that it wasn't me who initiated the skirmishes we had over a millennium ago, I merely returned their use of force in kind.

I leaned forward and placed my elbow on my knee, with my chin on my palm. I was about to say something before I noticed that not all of the Elements jumped back along with the princess. She barely even looked rattled from the attacks of the guards.

"Well hello there."

"Hi!"

I chuckled in amusement as one Pinkamena Diane Pie sat in front of the throne. She was making the biggest grin I could ever remember anyone has given me while waving a hoof in greeting.

"Pinkie!"

The other girls all shouted in alarm as the young mare was barely an arm's length away from my reach. Any closer and I could easily grab hold of the girl. I saw the princess use her horn to forcefully teleport the pink party pony over to her side, where the girl looked around in confusion from the sudden jump in distance.

Another thought came to mind.

"Why didn't you just teleport the ponies out?" I wondered out loud. "I know it would be a massive drain, but it's for the wellness of your subjects. Were you worried about something?"

"I prefer being at full strength when going up against someone who has earned the title of Emperor Dragon."

The Elements and some of the guards who didn't know about me all snapped their attention over to the Sun Princess. Admittedly, it was a bold title for someone who was only slightly taller than a teenage dragon.

"Also, I could teleport you and I instead of that many targets, Ryu. But I would rather not have my subjects panic by disappearing with an enemy."

"Well, you've certainly become more motherly over the years, it seems." I noted. "Though really, Celestia. Emperor Dragon? I like Kaiser better than the translated version you all gave me. You have no idea how much I was teased by my friends back then when that title started circulating all around. But I suppose that it did help me somewhat. All creatures in Equestria were keeping an eye out for a Dragon. Back then they saw me as nothing but a disfigured minotaur."

Celestia's glare only intensified.

I slightly grinned in amusement at her, baring my fangs for them to see. "Nopony did take you and your sister seriously when you kept chasing after me in the aftermath of the Badlands. Since then, I've never gone full dragon."

"What is he talking about, princess?" Twilight asked her mentor.

"Oooooh, a story!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, somehow pulling out a bag of popcorn from somewhere.

"Darling, this is a serious matter." Rarity chided the pony.

"But I want to hear about it." she whined.

"Go on, Celestia, tell her." I urged. "We still have time before Luna arrives. Unless of course no one was sent to inform her about me."

"Enough!" bellowed the Sun Princess, using the ancient Canterlot Voice to silence the rest of the mutterings, though only the subdued version. "Why are you here, Ryu! Are you out for revenge after my sister and I sealed you in stone!"

I barely held my laughter at the princess' assumption. I let out a snort instead. "Really, Celestia, do you really think that Canterlot would even be standing if I did want revenge?"

"Are you here to taunt us then, holding the kingdom hostage and making demands of us."

"Oh Molestia, you perverted little mare. What kind of man do you take me for?" I muttered in fake embarrassment. A lot of ponies glared at me for that remark, but I didn't miss the tint on Celestia's face when she remembered the old catchy nickname. "And your listening skills need work. I already said what I wanted, didn't I?" I asked the pink pony, who was the only one who wasn't tense like the others.

She nodded her head enthusiastically before shoving a hoof-full of popcorn in her mouth.

"Also, it's really hard to go out for revenge when there's nothing to avenge." I said to the Alicorn.

"What do you mean?" her eyes narrowed at me in accusation and I noticed that some of her fur seeming to stand on their ends.

With a grin, I felt the magic inside me and pulled from the core. I stood up from the throne, making all of the ones present tense in anticipation, then I turned to my left and took a step forward. Many sets of eyes widened when something else took a step to my right at the same time.

There, beside me, was another complete replica of myself made entirely out of magic. It looked like me in every single aspect, save for the eyes. It had no pupils, and it also had no will. I controlled the construct using my connection to it with my magic. It was then that comprehension dawned on the princess.

"[Aura]"

I smiled in satisfaction when she remembered the name.

"A skill that allows me to project a magic construct in my likeness. Its original design was supposed to be a transparent version of the caster, only a great many times their size. But if it was concentrated and condensed, you could have it as a duplicate of yourself."

A few moments of stunned silence later, the doppelganger dissipated like mist before their eyes.

"Of course, since it's a magic construct with nothing to keep it together other than the will of the caster, it dissipates after a few seconds after the casting. Its' attacks discharge the magic that keeps it solid, making it twice as strong as the caster, but they weren't meant for anything more than a single attack..."

"Or a sturdy shield in some cases." Celestia finished with her eyes looking on where the construct had been.

"It took every ounce of magic I had to keep it from dissipating when the Elements made contact." I added another piece of information. "It kept trying to deconstruct what I made and every time a piece of it was chipped off it was replaced instantly because I never cut my link to it. I kept pushing all of my reserves until what you had was a solid stone of my [Aura]. Because of your intent to seal me like you did with Discord, the Elements had no choice but to follow the wishes of their caster and turn it into stone instead of something else."

Though it did take me a while to think of that strategy in the middle of combat. I knew that when the Elements were used, they would emit a light source that would come careening to the target. I kept my use of [Shadowwalk] a secret as that had always been my trump card all these years.

When I made myself vulnerable enough in their eyes, they used the Elements to finally end the battle. The reason for that was because I was making sure that [Aura] was ready for casting, and I took a few hard hits as my concentration was split during the battle and the spell. When the light of the Elements finally came, I used my skill to make a duplicate of myself and dropped down into my own shadow that was made thicker by the strong light source from the magic rainbow. The rest after that was history. The sisters thought I was sealed and I was once again free from any sort of pursuit and left to my own devices. I met with old friends and acquaintances every few years and forged new ones over time.

I saw the horror painted on Celestia's face as I revealed the truth about the statue in the gardens.

"Th-Then..."

"I was free for more than a thousand years in the land, training, refining my skills, and getting stronger as the time passed. You and Luna only fought me during the time when I was still experimenting with what I could do, and still learning new spells. Now I've gained mastery of the skills I knew then and a few new ones that you and your sister have never seen."

Her whole body shook as the notion of my declaration sunk in. I was strong then, but was still merely a whelp compared to the one now present in the room.

"But now you gotta face us!"

I turned my attention to the rainbow maned pegasus, who was just now able to pull herself away from the farm pony that was stopping her from flying and talking in the midst of the tense situation.

"Loyal Rainbow." I acknowledged. "With Generous Rarity, Kind Fluttershy, Honest Applejack, Laughing Pinkie and Magic Sparkle."

The girls and Celestia became more guarded at the mention of their names and elements, save for a few. I waved my hand over to the rainbow one and gestured for her to go on.

"How do you know our names!"

"I've been all around Equestria." I told her with a quirked brow. "In the last few months I've been living in the deepest part of the Everfree and some times I take a walk out to update myself with the latest news. I go to the closest settlements and gather information there. The closest being Ponyville."

A lot of eyes predictably widened at the tidbit of news.

"You've been so close to home all this time?!" came the exclamation from the farm pony.

Fluttershy went "Eep!" before going back to hiding behind the others and behind her mane. She was the closest to the forest and would have been the first to have encountered me if I had ever decided to show myself.

"I was also there during the time with Nightmare Moon. I noticed that the sun was late in rising and had a hunch of what was the cause, as I have experienced something similar so many years ago and suddenly recalled it out of nostalgia. I went over to the old castle in the forest and was proven correct when I saw Black Luna facing off with the Element of Magic."

I saw another shudder pass through Celestia as I informed her that I had been so close to the Elements all that time. Had I been any more malicious, those relics would never have been found.

"That had been more than half a year ago." she whispered.

Before anything else could be said, a crack of magic signaled the arrival of Luna in the middle of the room where she proceeded to nearly shatter the eardrums of everyone present with her use of the Canterlot Voice. "Art thou unharmed, dear sister?"

Manes were literally whipped back by the sheer volume alone. I had both my forefingers in my ears, but even then it was still audible without proper earplugs.

It was then that she caught a glimpse of me. "FIEND!"

I noted with some bit of amusement that the guards closest to her were on the floor and holding down their ears. I haven't even done anything to cause them harm, yet here was one of their princess doing it to them.

I put my hands down and turned to the Moon Princess with an acknowledging nod. "Luna." I greeted. "'Tis a grand sight to behold, for the Princess of the Moon to be amongst us once again."

"We cannot sayeth we hold the same sentiment." the mare said with her teeth bared.

"It matters not for I am merely here to converse." I told her. It's been years since the last time I spoke so formal, but when one speaks to you in something similar, you can't help but return the gesture. "Hear me Royal Sisters of Equestria, I, the Emperor Dragon hath broken my millennium of silence to seek the aid of the Princess of the Sun and the Princess of the Moon! Heed my words for these pertains the future of the lands and the citizens under your rule!"

There. If anyone misunderstood what I said they need to get their ears fixed. If anything, the Royal Canterlot Voice made a great act to deliver a message. Thank you dragon lungs for making this possible.

Stunned silence followed after my announcement, with the guards and Elements being confused more than anything. I've fought the princesses a millennium ago to many stand stills and escaped using minimum amount of retaliation. For them to hear me ask for help was something I'm sure they never saw coming.

"Wait, what?" Rainbow Dash asked, unknowingly voicing out the thoughts of the others around her if the looks on their faces were to go by.

"I. Need. Help." I repeated slowly.

Celestia worked her mouth but no words seem to come out, same with Luna. It took the nudging of her student by her side to finally snap the alabaster Alicorn from her flabbergasted state.

"Princess, is something wrong?" the purple unicorn asked her mentor. I'm sure she's never seen Celestia in this kind of state before.

"Twilight, my dear student," Celestia began, her eyes still wide and looking directly at me. "You must understand something when you cross paths with Ryu." she looked at the purple unicorn with a serious and solemn expression. "He is an individual who has enough power to level mountain ranges at full strength and wipe villages out in his current form."

The unicorn and most of the other ponies all looked back to me with wide eyes and slightly open mouths. As a member of the Brood my powers are nothing to scoff at, especially now since back then I wasn't even in my first decade in familiarizing myself of my full potential.

"The Badlands, before what it was now, was nothing more than a gorge surrounded by mountains with tunnel mazes dug by diamond dogs." Luna added, her voice low and melodic from her lack of use of the old Canterlot Voice. "And all it took was one night to reduce it into the desolate wasteland you all have come to know."

Another moment of silence passed in the room. I leaned back on mytail as I stared out into nothing, allowing the ponies to let the information sink in. The Badlands was a place with sour memories for me. I didn't care for the lives that were lost that day, they deserved it, but the destruction that I wrought made me realize just what the Brood had been afraid of and made me understand why they chose to seal their powers away.

A memory flashed in my head, of the aftermath of my attack.

My one and only attack.

Then another memory flashed, ones about my friends; the ones who were able to make an impression in my heart during my travels and mare who took care of me in Equestria. Dread and Fear crept inside me that day, of the things I could do and what could happen if I ever lost control.

As I've told Celestia: "Since then, I've never gone full dragon."

I've unconsciously limited myself with my [Warrior] and [Myrmidon] form since then. It made me think that if I kept my forms humanoid, I could keep my humanity and not fall into the powers of my dragon blood. It didn't get any easier when Celestia and Luna started hounding me all across Equestria. I suppose that it didn't help that I hardly fought back, making them all the more eager to continue their pursuit.

I threw every spell I knew at the time to throw them off my tail, but they saw the hesitation in my attacks and pressed on. Months had passed and the chase went on when I was seen by any residents of the land or by a royal guard; where they would inform the sisters soon after. It was after I knocked out Luna with my [Aura] skill that they finally decided to bring the Elements with them on the next and final encounter.

I was cut off from my reminiscing by Twilight Sparkle, looking confused when her eyes met mine.

"But if you are as powerful as the princesses say you are, why would you need help?"

"Because this problem may be equal or more powerful than I am." I confessed.

I saw some colors drain from Luna's face, though I think Celestia was the same. It was hard to tell with her color.

"And there is a possibility that they may or may not be more malicious." I added.

"Who are they?" Celestia asked with a voice full of dread.

"She goes by the name "Myria"." I said. "She is the Goddess of Desire and Destruction."

Then I added one last thing that made them all realize the severity of the problem.

"She's also the one who nearly brought my Clan to extinction."

Author's Note:

Right. For those who don't know the game and the skills, there's a video on youtube where you can see the skills being showcased and another one for the dragon forms. Here's what [Aura] looks like in the game. When the skill is being chosen, pause the video and look at the description on the top of the screen. My skill mechanics will be based on that and how the skills are performed in animation. (This video ain't mine)